WorldRemit Identifies Top 20 Migrant Moments of 2020
Today, WorldRemit, a leading cross-border payments company, celebrates International Migrants Day by announcing its list of the top 20 Migrant Moments of 2020. This list features developments which have had significant impacts on communities across the world. From the first COVID-19 vaccine to the US presidential election to SpaceX - each of these milestones have been influenced by migrants from around the world. 2020 marks the 20th anniversary of International Migrants Day and the 30th anniversary since the adoption by the UN General Assembly of the International Convention on the Protection of All Migrant Workers and Members of their Families1.
WorldRemit has compiled this list to bring attention to all those who have managed to make a positive difference during this exceptionally challenging year. The company aims to support migrant communities as well as their family and friends every day, whilst celebrating their many successes throughout the year, and for many years to come.
The 2020 list includes:
- COVID-19 Vaccine: German couple of Turkish descent, husband and wife Uğur Şahin and Özlem Türeci, have been credited with the discovery of the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine that is being distributed across the globe.
- Senator Kamala Harris: Kamala Harris became vice-president elect following the 2020 US Presidential election. In 2017, she was sworn in as a United States Senator for California, becoming the second African-American woman and first South-Asian American senator in history. Though she was born in Oakland, California, Harris’ parents emigrated to the United States from India and Jamaica.
- Future Stars: WorldRemit and Arsenal Football Club welcomed the winners of the Future Stars competition to London in January. Chinasa Mandy Ukandu of Nigeria and Luis Alejandro Castañeda from Colombia, won an all expenses paid trip to London to take part in a personalized training program with Arsenal Football Club’s Development coaches.
- Zoom boom: Zoom, the videoconferencing platform which has allowed friends, families and colleagues to stay in touch during Covid-19, was founded by Eric Yuan, a Chinese migrant to the United States. At its peak, the firm counted more than 300 million daily participants in virtual meetings, while paying customers have more than tripled.
- Project 8000: WorldRemit was the main sponsor of the Project 8000 programme in Singapore. Project 8000 is a community outreach initiative to give thousands of handwritten ‘thank you’ cards to frontline Covid-19 healthcare workers at the Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) in Singapore, led by student Marion Lee.
- Deliveroo and DoorDash: DoorDash, America’s most popular meal delivery app, was started by a Chinese American migrant, Tony Xu. Meanwhile Deliveroo was co-founded by William Shu, a Taiwanese American entrepreneur. DoorDash has launched a number of initiatives during the pandemic. In October, it launched the Reopen for Deliverycampaign, with the stated aim of bringing together brick and mortar restaurants that have closed due to the pandemic.
- Patoranking: WorldRemit signed Patoranking as the Global Brand Ambassador for its Africa-focused WorldRemit Entrepreneurs Program. The WorldRemit Entrepreneurs Program will run simultaneously in Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, and Zimbabwe, from November 2020 through to the end of January 2021. WorldRemit customers from around the world are encouraged to send a minimum of £50 (or its equivalent value in their local currency) to recipients in Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, or Zimbabwe to win the opportunity to nominate a lucky entrepreneur.
- WorldRemit celebrated Philippine Independence Day by highlighting the many achievements of the Filipino diaspora which included one of the youngest ever recipients of the Royal Bank of Canada’s Top 25 Canadian Immigrant Award.
- Transfer Tracker app: WorldRemit launched The WorldRemit Transfer Tracker mobile app for recipients of money transfers, which allows them to track their remittances. The WorldRemit Transfer Tracker App is now available through the Google app store and is also free to download through the app store in 90 countries in iOS and Android.
- SpaceX Dragon 2: The spacecraft made its first crewed flight to the International Space Station on May 31, 2020 as part of the Commercial Crew Program, enabling American human orbital spaceflight capability for the first time since the Space Shuttle's retirement in 2011.
- Television Commercial: WorldRemit released global television commercials across key markets to promote its transparent pricing strategy and the opportunities created by connecting people through international money transfers.
- NHS workers: Almost 1 in 17 (14%) of the NHS’s 1.28 million staff report a non-British nationality, amounting to approximately 170,000 key workers. India is responsible for the most NHS workers from outside the UK, followed by the Philippines.
- Earlier this year, WorldRemit gave away £400,000 worth of vouchers to NHS workers as a token of appreciation for their service and the sacrifices they are making throughout the pandemic.
- Edward Enninful and Misan Harriman: Edward Enninful is the Editor-In-Chief of British Vogue and an advocate for better representation in the fashion industry. He is the only black editor in history to lead Vogue magazine. Enninful commissioned black photographer Misan Harriman to shoot Vogue’s UK September issue – traditionally the magazine’s most important edition. As well as being one of the most widely-shared photographers of the Black Lives Matter movement, Harriman is the first black person to shoot a cover of British Vogue in the magazine's 104-year history.
- Netflix launches Selena series: Netflix released its biographical drama that follows Selena Quintanilla Lopez’s rise to fame and the sacrifices she and her family make along the way charting her enduring legacy as a Mexican-American icon.
- David Olusoga: David Olusoga is a British-Nigerian historian and writer. In response to the Black Lives Matter movement, Olusoga's Black and British: A Forgotten History was broadcast on the BBC. The documentary was awarded a BAFTA when originally produced in 2016. Olusoga was also named on the 2021 Powerlist.
- Parasite: Parasite, a film written by South Korean native Bong Joon-ho, became the first non-English language film to win the Oscar for Best Picture in the 92-year history of the awards.
- Adewale Adeyemo: Among Biden’s team of top cabinet picks and economic advisers is Nigerian-born Adewale Adeyemo, who served as a senior international economic adviser in the Barack Obama administration. Adeyemo will be the first African to occupy the seat of Deputy Treasury Secretary.
- As part of efforts to create opportunities for those in developing countries, WorldRemit gave away tablets to students in countries including India and Guatemala following the pandemic-related disruption to schooling.
- A 90-year old lady named Margaret Keenan from Coventry, became the first person in the world to receive the Pfizer & BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, which was administered by Filipina nurse May Parsons.
To learn more about WorldRemit, please visit www.worldremit.com.
WorldRemit is a leading global payments company. We disrupted an industry previously dominated by offline legacy players by taking international money transfers online - making them safer, faster and lower-cost. We currently send from 50 to 150 countries, operate in more than 5,000 money transfer corridors worldwide and employ over 1,200 people globally.
On the sending side WorldRemit is 100% digital (cashless), increasing convenience and enhancing security. For those receiving money, the company offers a wide range of options including bank deposit, cash collection, mobile airtime top-up and mobile money.
Backed by Accel, TCV and Leapfrog – WorldRemit’s headquarters are in London, United Kingdom with regional offices in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, South Africa, Somaliland, Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and Belgium.
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Verimatrix Releases Advanced Code Protection Service for Android Application Bundles20.1.2021 17:45:00 CET | Press release
Regulatory News: Verimatrix, (Paris:VMX), the leader in powering the modern connected world with people-centered security, today announced general availability of version 2.2 of the Verimatrix Application Protection service for Android. The company’s latest Code Protection service for Android applications now supports the forthcoming Android ecosystem change that will mandate the use of Android Application Bundles (AABs) in the second half of 2021. A significant shift for developers, the upcoming AAB mandate creates a need for simple, reliable software security that prevents app attacks. In addition to traditional APKs, the Verimatrix Application Protection service now also supports AABs defined by Google Play’s publishing guidelines. Other new features and in enhancements in Verimatrix Application Protection service for Android include: AAB support through the Verimatrix App Shield service or on-premise tool Upgraded whole app integrity verification based on certificate binding for pu
LG CHEM TO SEEK INNOVATIVE IDEAS FOR SUSTAINABLE TECHNOLOGIES WORLDWIDE THROUGH 3 rd GLOBAL INNOVATION CONTEST20.1.2021 15:00:00 CET | Press release
LG Chem (KRX: 051910) announced on 20th January that it will host the 3rd Global Innovation Contest (GIC) for leading universities and research institutions worldwide. Being the first of its kind in the Korean chemical industry, Global Innovation Contest invites organizations around the world to discover innovative ideas for sustainable technologies. The contest is open for entry from 25th January to 31st March in 4 categories: Energy, Sustainability, Advanced Materials, and Digital Transformation (DX). Under the new vision of the company “We connect science to life for a better future,” Sustainability and DX are 2 categories newly added this year. All scholars and researchers interested in developing the next generation’s innovative technology and industry-academia collaboration research are welcome to participate and submit their research proposals through the official GIC website. (www.rnd.lgchem.com/global/gic) LG Chem will form a judging panel of internal experts to evaluate the r
H.I.G. Capital Sells RGIB's Bathroom Furniture Division to Roca20.1.2021 14:20:00 CET | Press release
H.I.G. Capital, ("H.I.G."), a leading global private equity investment firm with over €35 billion of equity capital under management, and the Royo family have entered into an agreement to sell the bathroom furniture division of RG International Bathroom (“RGIB or the “Company”) to Roca Sanitario, S.A. The Royo family will retain a minority stake in the division. Both H.I.G. and the Royo family will continue as shareholders of the shower tray business of RGIB, operating under the Fiora brand. H.I.G. partnered with the Royo family in December 2016 and has achieved a number of important milestones, including: Developing a new factory and brand in Poland (Maximus) that contributed to strengthening the leading position that RGIB already had in the Polish market under the Elita brand Entering new segments, channels and countries; one of the most relevant achievements was the entry into the DIY channel in Germany where RGIB is now a leading player Consolidating RGIB’s leading position in Spai
Thales NS50 Radar to Equip the Belgium Navy and the Royal Netherlands Navy Next Generation Mine Counter Measures Vessels (MCMV)20.1.2021 10:00:00 CET | Press release
The navies of Belgium and the Netherlands rely on Thales, Naval Group and KERSHIP shipyard to equip the 12 next generation Mine Counter Measures Vessels with NS50 radars for Air & Surface Surveillance with Fire Control capabilities. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210120005024/en/ NS50 radar © Thales The NS50 provides for the first time a complete and superior level of self-protection capability against air and surface threats for this category of high value MCM vessels. A strategic choice for small to medium vessels, the NS50 offers dual functions between air and surface surveillance and fire control. The nature of threats faced by Navies has never been more varied nor more challenging, ranging from next generation anti-ship missiles, robotic warfare and swarm attacks, to electronic warfare (jamming) as well as, overall, having to operate in a simultaneously conventional, asymmetric and hybrid threat environm
SmartStream Reveal Their Latest API Suite With a Complete Range of Reference Data Services20.1.2021 10:00:00 CET | Press release
SmartStream Technologies, the financial Reference Data Utility (RDU) solutions provider, today announces the launch of its Application Programming Interface (API) suite – for quicker access to services providing accurate data, with improved customer service, operational efficiency, greater agility and competitiveness. The new fully comprehensive API service will benefit financial institutions by saving huge amounts on infrastructure costs, as well as an affordable service which is straightforward to deploy. Financial institutions are now realising the need for change, with many currently engaging in digital transformation projects including the implementation of APIs. RDU services currently fall into two categories: security reference data and regulatory reference data. Security reference data solutions available on an API basis will include a listed derivatives service, with data sourced from over 100 exchanges and comprehensive coverage for options, futures, options on futures and ca
Wiztopic and Euronext Corporate Services Sign a Commercial Partnership20.1.2021 08:00:00 CET | Press release
Wiztopic, the cloud-based provider of software solutions for corporate communications, public relations and investor relations professionals, today announced a commercial partnership with Euronext Corporate Services, a subsidiary of Euronext, providing companies with innovative solutions and tailor-made advisory services in the areas of governance, compliance, communication, and investor relations. This strategic alliance will simplify the access to highly complementary solutions for their respective customers. The combination of Euronext Corporate Services and Wiztopic’s solutions constitutes a suite of best-in-class digital communication solutions to satisfy the increasingly sophisticated needs of time-poor corporate communication, PR and IR professionals. Euronext Corporate Services’ clients will benefit from Wiztrust’s blockchain certification platform to secure their financial communications and avoid fake news. "This partnership solidifies Wiztrust as the European platform for ce
ENHERTU ® Approved in the EU for the Treatment of HER2 Positive Metastatic Breast Cancer20.1.2021 08:00:00 CET | Press release
Daiichi Sankyo Company, Limited(hereafter, Daiichi Sankyo) and AstraZeneca’s ENHERTU® (trastuzumab deruxtecan) has been granted conditional approval in the European Union (EU) as a monotherapy for the treatment of adult patients with unresectable or metastatic HER2 positive breast cancer who have received two or more prior anti-HER2 based regimens. In Europe, approximately 531,000 cases of breast cancer in women are diagnosed annually, with an estimated one in five cases being HER2 positive.1,2,3 The impact of the disease is significant, with breast cancer responsible for more than 141,000 deaths per year in Europe.1 “One in five women with breast cancer have HER2 positive disease and those with previously-treated metastatic disease often progress quickly,” said Professor Fabrice André, Head of Research, Department of Medical Oncology, Gustave Roussy Cancer Campus, Villejuif, France. “One of the biggest challenges in this setting has been identifying treatment strategies that produce a