Vifor Pharma delivers strong full year results 2020 with an EBITDA of 576 million Swiss Francs representing over 29% growth 1
Vifor Pharma Group reported stable net sales and a continued strong increase in profitability in 2020, despite challenges to patient access from COVID-19 and the impact of a much stronger Swiss franc against the US dollar.
FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE: CONTINUED PROFITABLE GROWTH AT CER
- Reported net sales of CHF 1,705.6 million, down 1.1%, up 3.7% at CER
- Reported EBITDA of CHF 575.8 million, up 18.7% (up 29.4% at CER and 35.7% by also excluding the 2019 one-off IAS19 income)
- Other income increased significantly due to upfront and milestone payments from partnering activities and the disposal of non-core products
- Gross profit margin of 61.1%, up 0.9 percentage points driven by the higher contribution from other income
- Net profit after minorities of CHF 359.6 million, driven by the post-tax gain on sale of OM Pharma of CHF 190.6 million
- Core earnings per share3 from continuing operations of CHF 4.99, up 28.7%
- Strong balance sheet with a net cash position of CHF 190.6 million and an equity ratio of 77.1%
Commenting on the full year results, Stefan Schulze, CEO of Vifor Pharma Group, said: “Resilience and adaptability are the words that summarize the performance of Vifor Pharma in 2020. Our employees and partners have faced the challenges of COVID-19 with determination and flexibility as we continued to ensure our therapies reach patients. Patient access to treatments such as i.v. iron infusions has been closely correlated with the intensity of lockdowns, and direct contacts with physicians have been regularly postponed. Against this backdrop, and despite the impact of a much stronger Swiss franc against the US dollar, our profitability continued to increase strongly, helped by disciplined cost control and the strength of our growing nephrology portfolio. Considering the current outlook on the COVID-19 situation and the fact that our key products have shown a quick return to strong growth as lockdown measures were eased in 2020, we have a high level of confidence that we return to growth in 2021 once restrictions are eased. Adding our pipeline of innovative nephrology treatments on track for expected approvals in 2021 and 2022, continuing expansion of our global presence and a reputation as a go-to industry partner for in- and out-licensing, we can look to the future with great optimism.”
FERINJECT®/ INJECTAFER®: DEMAND INFLUENCED BY LOCKDOWN MEASURES
- Global in-market sales: CHF 1,005 million, up 0.1% and 49.5% share in the i.v. iron segment of the iron market4 by value in 20205.
- Net sales of CHF 552.2 million, a decrease of 1.6%, an increase of 3.0% at CER.
- Improvements in Q3 in line with the easing of COVID-19 restrictions and better patient access to infusions, followed by a slowdown towards year end as many countries started reintroducing restrictions. Overall utilization of i.v. iron has been highly correlated with intensity of lockdown measures, with recovery to pre-COVID-19 growth levels expected once COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
- In the US, our partner American Regent, a Daiichi Sankyo Group company, recorded net sales for Injectafer® of USD 415.5 million in 2020, a decline of 6.6% compared to prior year. This was due to federal and state lockdown restrictions and limitations on infusion procedures caused by the pandemic. As a result, Vifor Pharma posted net sales of CHF 138.3 million, down 8.2% or 2.8% at CER.
- Results from the AFFIRM-AHF clinical trial in heart failure reported significant reduction in hospital readmissions due to heart failure among patients treated with Ferinject® compared to placebo. After 52 weeks, patients were 26% less likely to be readmitted to hospital for heart failure compared to placebo after one or two injections of Ferinject®. Overall, AFFIRM-AHF narrowly missed the 5% statistical significance on the primary composite endpoint of total cardiovascular death and heart failure re-hospitalization, but numerically reduced events by 21%. Prior to study completion, COVID-19 sensitivity analysis was pre-specified which excluded subjects reporting from the date of the outbreak in each country. Adjusted for COVID-19 impact the composite endpoint was more robust and significant.
- In Japan, our partner Zeria Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. launched Ferinject® in September.
NEPHROLOGY PORTFOLIO SIGNIFICANTLY STRENGTHENED
- The Erythropoiesis-Stimulating Agent (ESA) portfolio decreased by 2.9% to CHF 524.3 million (up 2.5% at CER). Mircera® net sales amounted to CHF 478.4 million, down 8.6% from 2019 (down 3.6% at CER), affected by negative foreign exchange impacts and customer order patterns. Retacrit® net sales grew strongly in 2020 from CHF 16.4 million to CHF 45.8 million, due to higher demand from FKC clinics and the mid-sized and independent segment.
- Velphoro® net sales decreased by 2.2% to CHF 177.7 million (up 3.6% at CER), impacted by order patterns of our major customer in the US. Net of this impact, Velphoro® grew by 11.3% in 2020. In-market sales of Velphoro® strongly increased in 2020, with CHF 439.3 million or up 24.8%. Velphoro® launched in Canada and South Korea.
- Venofer® net sales increased by 2.9% to CHF 136.2 million (up 8.4% at CER), driven by growth in US and China.
- Vifor Pharma strengthened its nephrology portfolio during 2020. Key developments included:
- Avacopan - Vifor Fresenius Medical Care Renal Pharma (VFMCRP) announced acceptance for review in Europe of the Marketing Authorization Application for avacopan in patients with ANCA-associated vasculitis (AAV) in November. In December, ChemoCentryx, Inc. announced encouraging topline data from the phase-II ACCOLADE clinical study of avacopan in treatment of ultra-rare kidney disease Complement 3 Glomerulopathy (C3G). Following this positive result, VFMCRP plans to discuss registration pathways with regulators in the EU for C3G. Post balance sheet reporting, Kissei Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. submitted the Japanese new drug application (NDA) for treatment of AAV in early March 2021.
- ANG-3777 - Vifor Pharma and Angion Biomedica signed a worldwide license agreement excluding Greater China in December for commercialization of ANG-3777 for the treatment of delayed graft function (DGF) and cardiac surgery-associated acute kidney injury (CSA-AKI), further expanding Vifor Pharma’s nephrology pipeline into transplantation and acute kidney injury.
- Difelikefalin (or Korsuva™) -Vifor Pharma and Cara Therapeutics signed a US license agreement in October to commercialize difelikefalin injection to non-Fresenius Medical Care dialysis clinics in the US, representing approximately 66% of the US market. Following this new agreement, Vifor Pharma have now commercialization rights for difelikefalin injection in the full US dialysis segment. Cara Therapeutics submitted the US NDA for treatment of moderate to severe CKD-associated pruritus (CDK-aP) in December. The FDA accepted the filing in February 2021. VFMCRP plans to file in Europe in H1 2021.
- Vadadustat - Positive results from the global phase-III INNO2VATE study evaluating safety and efficacy of vadadustat versus darbepoetin alfa for treatment of anaemia due to Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) in adult patients on dialysis were reported by partner Akebia Therapeutics in May. Vadadustat achieved primary efficacy and cardiovascular safety endpoints.
- Rayaldee® - National marketing authorizations received in several European countries including Germany, Italy, Spain and Switzerland in 2020.
VELTASSA®: NEW PRESCRIPTIONS IMPACTED BY COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS
- Net sales of Veltassa® decreased by 10.6% (down 5.1% at CER) to CHF 118.3 million in 2020. In the US, net sales of Veltassa® amounted to CHF 106.7 million.
- The decrease in 2020 was due to the impact of the global COVID-19 pandemic, market access headwinds in the US and unfavorable exchange rates. The market growth remains below expectations.
- The European Medicines Agency approved important changes to the label in December. These included data from the phase-II AMBER clinical study demonstrating Veltassa® ability to enable RAAS (renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system) inhibitor treatment in patients with resistant hypertension and CKD.
- Veltassa® received reimbursement approval in Finland, Portugal and Switzerland in 2020, and formulary access was fully obtained in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Our partner Otsuka Canada Pharmaceutical launched Veltassa® in Canada in May.
- In China, VFMCRP and Fresenius Kabi announced in November an agreement to develop, register and distribute Veltassa® for the treatment of hyperkalemia.
SALE OF OM PHARMA
- On 30 September 2020 the sale of OM Pharma was successfully completed for a purchase consideration of CHF 435.0 million, leading to a post-tax gain on sale of CHF 190.6 million.
- In addition, an earn-out agreement was entered into with the buyer granting Vifor Pharma Group the right to participate in 20% of the potential future value increase of the OM Pharma business.
1. FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE
In million CHF
Change at CER
Net profit after minorities
Core earnings per share from continuing operations (in CHF)
For further details, please see the Vifor Pharma 2020 Annual Report (PDF) at www.viforpharma.com.
KEY PROFIT AND LOSS FIGURES
Vifor Pharma Group reported net sales of CHF 1,705.6 million, a decline of 1.1% compared to the previous year, or an increase of 3.7% at CER. The growth was impacted by COVID-19 restrictions which mainly affected Ferinject®, with patients requested not go to hospitals, temporary closures of administration sites and delays in elective surgeries.
EBITDA increased to CHF 575.8 million compared to CHF 485.0 million in the previous year, an increase of 18.7%, or 29.4% at CER. The growth was driven by a combination of the growth in net sales at CER, cost containment measures, and the increase in other income from partnering activities and the disposal of non-core products. In the second half of 2019, the Group made changes to its defined benefit pension plan (IAS 19) which resulted in a positive one-off EBITDA impact of CHF 22.4 million in 2019. Excluding the IAS 19 impact, the EBITDA grew by 35.7% at CER compared to prior year.
Other income grew to CHF 96.4 million from CHF 37.0 million in the previous year. The increase was primarily related to the partnering of Ferinject® in China, Veltassa® in China and Canada, Velphoro® in Canada, and the disposal of non-core products in Spain and Portugal.
Cost of sales amounted to CHF 701.2 million compared to CHF 700.8 million in the previous year, resulting in a gross profit margin of 61.1% compared to 60.2% in the previous year. The margin improvement was driven by the higher contribution from other income.
Marketing and distribution expenses amounted to CHF 403.8 million compared to CHF 435.7 million in the previous year, down 7.3%. The additional investments in prelaunch activities for our pipeline products were more than offset by cost containment measures.
Investments in research and development amounted to CHF 250.0 million compared to CHF 212.0 million in the previous year. The increase was attributable to the impairment of the CCX140 intangible asset of CHF 56.2 million. Excluding this impairment, investment in research and development declined by 8.6%, mainly driven by a temporary COVID-19 halt in the enrolment of patients to the Veltassa® DIAMOND clinical trial.
General and administration expenses amounted to CHF 155.7 million compared to CHF 137.6 million in the previous year. The increase was mainly attributable to higher legal costs from patent litigations of CHF 9.8 million, and the portion of the previously mentioned changes the Group made to its defined benefit pension plan in 2019. This contributed to one-time lower general and administration costs of CHF 4.3 million in 2019.
Core earnings per share from continuing operations amounted to CHF 4.99, an increase of 28.7% compared to CHF 3.88 in 2019 mainly due to strong operational performance. Core earnings are defined as reported earnings after minorities adjusted for proportionate amortization and impairment of intangible assets of CHF 185.0 million in 2020 (2019: CHF 143.5 million).
Cash flow from operating activities amounted to CHF +423.8 million compared to CHF +524.8 million in the previous year. The decrease is mainly due to investments in net working capital, namely increased trade receivables from phasing of payments due from major customers and a planned inventory build.
Cash flow from investing activities amounted to CHF +52.4 million. The cash inflow of CHF 400.0 million from the sale of OM Pharma was largely reinvested in upfront and milestone payments for in-licensing agreements of CHF -193.5 million as well as the Priority Review Voucher of CHF -107.7 million.
Cash flow from financing activities amounted to CHF -268.4 million and was mainly influenced by dividend distributions of CHF -219.6 million, whereof CHF -90.0 million was paid to Fresenius Medical Care and CHF -129.6 million was distributed to shareholders of Vifor Pharma.
Vifor Pharma Group achieved a net cash position of CHF 190.6 million at the end of 2020 compared to a net cash position of CHF 5.7 million at the end of 2019. The increase is mainly from the aforementioned strong operating cash flow and sale of OM Pharma, more than offsetting the dividend distributions and investments.
Goodwill and intangible assets amounted to CHF 2,454.5 million at the end of 2020 compared to CHF 2,584.5 million at the end of 2019, representing 47.1% of total assets (2019: 52.4%). The decrease is mainly due to the disposal of intangible assets of CHF 156.6 million with the sale of OM Pharma.
Financial assets amounted to CHF 725.7 million at the end of 2020 compared to CHF 510.7 million at the end of 2019. The increase is mainly due to the fair value gain on our equity investments in ChemoCentryx, Inc. as well as the additional investment in Cara Therapeutics as part of the license agreement which was announced in October.
With CHF 4,017.6 million of shareholders’ equity, Vifor Pharma Group had a strong equity ratio of 77.1% at the end of 2020 (2019: 75.7%).
2. FINANCIAL GUIDANCE 2021
In 2021, at constant exchange rates, net sales are expected to grow at a low-to-mid single digit rate, and EBITDA to grow at a high single digit rate.2
3. OUTLOOK 2021
- The approval of Ferinject® in China is expected in the second half of 2021.
- Upon approval and subject to reimbursement decisions, launch of difelikefalin (Korsuva™) is expected in the US in the second half of 2021. In Europe, VFMCRP plans to submit its marketing authorization application in the first half of 2021.
- The approval of avacopan is expected in the second half of 2021 in Europe and Japan. If approved, it will be the first orally administered drug for the treatment of patients with AAV.
- Our US partner Akebia Therapeutics plans to submit a NDA to the FDA for vadadustat by mid Q2 2021 for the treatment of anemia due to CKD in both adult patients on dialysis and adult patients not on dialysis.
- The phase-II clinical trial of VIT-2763 in non-transfusion-dependent beta-thalassemia is expected to be completed in the second half of 2021. Additionally, the initiation of a phase-II clinical trial of VIT-2763 in sickle cell disease is planned in H1 2021.
- Aphase-II proof-of-concept clinical trial of ANG-3777 for the treatment of cardiac surgery-associated acute kidney injury is underway, with data read-out expected in H2 2021. Top line data of a phase-III clinical trial of ANG-3777 in delayed graft function is expected before the end of 2021.
In line with our ambition to strengthen our product pipeline, we aim to complete at least two in-licensing deals, product acquisitions or corporate transactions in 2021.
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING 2021
The Annual General Meeting will take place as planned on 6 May 2021. However, in view of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and in accordance with Ordinance 3 on measures to combat the coronavirus issued by the Swiss Federal Council, on the basis of Art. 8 of the new COVID-19 Act, the Vifor Pharma Board of Directors decided that shareholders are not permitted to attend the event in person. Shareholders will be able to exercise their rights exclusively via independent proxy.
Live conference call and webcast
A live webcast and conference call will be held on 3 March 2021 at 14:00 (CET).
Access to live webcast → link
Access to conference call → link (only if you want to participate via phone)
A webcast replay (link) will be available shortly after the end of the live conference.
Vifor Pharma Group is a global pharmaceuticals company. It aims to become the global leader in iron deficiency, nephrology and cardio-renal therapies. The company is a partner of choice for pharmaceuticals and innovative patient-focused solutions. Vifor Pharma Group strives to help patients around the world with severe and chronic diseases lead better, healthier lives. The company develops, manufactures and markets pharmaceutical products for precision patient care. Vifor Pharma Group holds a leading position in all its core business activities and consists of the following companies: Vifor Pharma and Vifor Fresenius Medical Care Renal Pharma (a joint company with Fresenius Medical Care). Vifor Pharma Group is headquartered in Switzerland, and listed on the Swiss Stock Exchange (SIX Swiss Exchange, VIFN, ISIN: CH0364749348).
For more information, please visit viforpharma.com.
1 At CER.
2 The COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact economic conditions and patient access to our treatments; therefore Vifor Pharma’s 2021 guidance assumes a progressive improvement of patients’ access to the Company’s treatments as of H2 2021.
3 Core earnings are defined as reported earnings after minorities adjusted for proportionate amortization and impairment of intangible assets.
4 Without prejudice to market definition.
5 Unlike volume data, value data are unrepresentative of competitive dynamics because they sum different types of prices for different medicines.
Contact and further information:
Global Head Corporate Communications
+41 79 957 96 73
Head of Investor Relations
+41 58 851 66 90
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
XPRIZE and Musk Foundation Announce Guidelines and Open Registration for $100M XPRIZE Carbon Removal23.4.2021 01:23:00 CEST | Press release
XPRIZE, the global leader in designing and implementing innovative competition models to solve the world’s grand challenges, today announced the official launch of $100 Million XPRIZE Carbon Removal with the opening of team registration and the release of the competition guidelines. The announcement comes shortly after Peter H. Diamandis,XPRIZE founder and executive chairman, and Elon Musk sat down for a live stream hosted on Twitter to discuss the importance of spurring carbon removal solutions, the climate crisis, and the launch of the largest incentive prize in history. The conversation was followed by a virtual question and answer hosted by Marcius Extavour, vice president of climate and environment at XPRIZE, and XPRIZE’s chief impact officer, Zenia Tata. Funded by the Musk Foundation, $100M XPRIZE Carbon Removal is aimed at tackling climate change by asking global innovators to develop solutions that can pull carbon dioxide directly from the atmosphere or oceans and lock it away
Verimatrix To Participate in SportsPro Live Virtual Panel: How To Transform Physical Spaces into Digital Ecosystems22.4.2021 17:45:00 CEST | Press release
Regulatory News: Verimatrix, (Paris:VMX) (Euronext Paris: VMX), the leader in powering the modern connected world with people-centered security, today announced that Lu Bolden, Chief Revenue Officer, is slated to participate in a SportsPro Live virtual panel discussion from 9:10 to 9:55 a.m. Central Time on Thursday, April 29. The event, which unites sports and technology professionals from across the globe, aims to prepare the industries for the future of sport. Bolden’s panel is slated to take place in the South Stand and discuss how technology can connect the in-venue experience to create more revenue opportunities. The group, moderated by Mike Bohndiek, CEO of PTI Digital Group, will also discuss what strategies and technologies can best deliver the new digital experiences. Other speakers on the panel include: Michael Cole, Chief Technology Officer, PGA European Tour and Ryder Cup Europe Adam Heintz, Senior Vice President, Business Intelligence, Monumental Sports & Entertainment “T
Rajeev Bhalla Named Director of Board at Next Level Aviation22.4.2021 17:39:00 CEST | Press release
Seasoned senior finance executive Rajeev Bhalla has been named a Director of the Board at Next Level Aviation, a leader in the aerospace used serviceable materials (USM) market. He brings wide-ranging financial, operational, and strategic expertise to the company as it plans substantial growth in the coming years, both organically and through acquisition. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210422005834/en/ Rajeev Bhalla has been named Director of the Board of Next Level Aviation. He will help guide the company’s planned growth in the coming years, both organically and through acquisition. (Photo: Business Wire) Bhalla’s background includes demonstrated discipline and expertise in finance, governance, and team development. This comes through current work as a Cerberus Operating Partner, board of director roles as well as experience in a number of successful companies. Notably, those include: Circor International,
Medical Aesthetic Products’ Manufacturer Croma-Pharma Launches “Croma is More” E-Learning Series for Health Care Professionals22.4.2021 17:00:00 CEST | Press release
Croma-Pharma GmbH (Croma) always strives to support physicians in their work in the best possible way. For this reason, the company has developed an interactive e-learning platform with continuing education offerings for physicians working in the field of minimally invasive aesthetic. In this way, Croma aims to help health care professionals achieve sustainable growth and success in their medical clinics/practices. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210422005727/en/ Social Media Training for Health Care Professionals Copyright: Croma-Pharma GmbH (Graphic: Business Wire) Medical professionals can choose from a broad variety of different formats: Social Media & Online Marketing Facial Anatomy Workshops Aesthetic Startup Academy Aesthetic Excellence A variety of topics is presented by Industry experts. All the content comes with lifetime access hence the health care professionals can learn on their own schedule and
PerkinElmer Supports PROXIDRUGS Consortium Aimed at Advancing Targeted Protein Degradation/PROTAC Drugs22.4.2021 16:44:00 CEST | Press release
PerkinElmer, Inc., a global leader committed to innovating for a healthier world, today announced that it is serving as a provider and co-developer of assays, instrument solutions and expertise for the PROXIDRUGS Consortium which is zeroing in on research for proximity drugs or PROTACs (PROteolysis Targeting Chimeras). PROTACs are a new class of drugs that take advantage of the body’s own cell protein recycling system to fight disease by tapping into the 80% of disease-relevant proteins that are currently untargeted by today’s available therapeutics. Led by Goethe University in Frankfurt, Germany, the Consortium includes researchers from the Technical University of Darmstadt, the Fraunhofer Institute for Translational Medicine and Pharmacology, and global pharmaceutical companies based in Frankfurt’s Rhine-Main region. The research project, starting October 2021, aims to streamline novel drug target validation by putting disease-relevant proteins in close proximity with key enzymes (su
Xsolla Acquires Slemma, an Advanced Data Analytics and Visualization Company22.4.2021 16:00:00 CEST | Press release
Xsolla, the video game commerce company powered by its Transaction Engine and Business Engine to help developers and publishers market, sell, connect and optimize their games globally, has announced the acquisition of Slemma, an advanced data analytics and visualization reporting platform. The web-based tools allow users to create simple, easy-to-use and dynamic data reports with customizable dashboards. Xsolla will integrate Slemma’s product suite into the Publisher Account to provide clients with next-level data visualizations, even connecting to third party tools and services including Amazon RDS, Microsoft Azure, Google Analytics, Facebook, Twitter, Zendesk, Salesforce and many more. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210422005443/en/ Xsolla acquires Slemma, a robust data analytics and visualization platform. (Graphic: Business Wire) “Everything we do at Xsolla focuses on providing the best experience, tools
Serie A Club Parma Calcio Signs Deal with Stats Perform for Access to the Most Sophisticated Player Identification Tool—Edge Recruitment22.4.2021 15:49:00 CEST | Press release
Today, Stats Perform, the sports tech leader in data and AI, announced a deal with Italian football club Parma Calcio, recently purchased by Iowa-based Krause Group, which will see the Serie A side become the first club worldwide to access the innovative Edge Recruitment platform, the industry’s most sophisticated player identification tool. Since the emergence of technical scouting during the mid-2000s, recruitment analysts have been using data to assess prospects through the lens of traditional on-field position labels. Launched earlier this season, Edge Recruitment introduces a new method of assessing players, applying multiple AI-powered models to profile players based on their role in a team. At the heart of Edge Recruitment is Role Discovery, a model which detects 18 different types of role all over the pitch based on a player’s spatial tendencies, contributions to different phases of play, possession involvement, distribution and shooting tendencies. Through applying Role Discov