The Estée Lauder Companies Releases Fiscal 2021 Social Impact and Sustainability Report
Today, The Estée Lauder Companies Inc. (NYSE: EL) (ELC) released its Fiscal Year 2021 Social Impact and Sustainability (SI&S) Report. The Beauty Inspired, Values Driven report underscores progress towards the company’s social impact and sustainability goals and commitments and highlights initiatives across key areas including inclusion, diversity, and equity; climate; packaging; social investments; responsible sourcing; and green chemistry.
In fiscal year 2021, the company remained on track to achieve its social impact and sustainability goals, while generating exceptional business results and continuing to navigate challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Despite the pandemic, we remained steadfast in prioritizing the health and wellbeing of our employees, consumers, and communities around the world, while delivering on our long-term commitments,” said Fabrizio Freda, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Estée Lauder Companies. “Doubling down on our social impact and sustainability strategy is an important part of our goal to continue delivering long-term value and remain the global leader of prestige beauty.”
“As The Estée Lauder Companies marks its 75th anniversary, it is important to recognize that the company’s success has long been rooted not only in its business strategy, but in a deep understanding of its core values,” said William P. Lauder, Executive Chairman, The Estée Lauder Companies. “These values, including respect for the individual, uncompromising ethics and integrity, generosity of spirit, and fearless persistence are what will accelerate our commitments into the next 75-years and beyond.”
Across the business and within its brand portfolio, the company’s achievements over the last fiscal year include progress toward the company’s Racial Equity and Gender Equality commitments, the achievement of its post-consumer recycled (PCR) material goal ahead of schedule and the setting of additional packaging targets. The company also made strong progress on its science-based targets (SBTs) for Scopes 1 and 2 and continued to make efforts towards meeting its Scope 3 SBT. Additionally, The Estée Lauder Companies Charitable Foundation (ELCCF) deepened its commitment to girls’ education and expanded its mission to include women’s advancement, and the company continued to support employees facing financial hardships due to COVID-19 through its ELC Cares Employee Relief Fund.
“In fiscal 2021, we worked hard to continue developing long-term solutions to help protect our planet, drive inclusion and equity, and put people at the heart of everything we do—all while meeting our business objectives,” said Nancy Mahon, Senior Vice President, Global Corporate Citizenship and Sustainability, The Estée Lauder Companies. “While we’ve made great progress, we know there is more collective action needed to help address ongoing and new challenges in the next decade.”
Read and download the Fiscal 2021 Social Impact & Sustainability Report on ELCompanies.com.
Highlights from the SI&S Report include:
Inclusion, Diversity and Equity
- The company continued to make progress towards its Racial Equity commitments, as announced in June 2020, and also announced a new set of commitments to Gender Equality, inclusive of achieving gender pay equity by 2023 and globally increasing representation of women from underrepresented groups across our regions and affiliates.
- In fiscal 2021, the company reported that 82 percent of its global workforce is female, and 46 percent of its U.S. workforce is Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC). Fifty-five percent of global VP positions and above at the company are held by women and 44 percent of the Board of Directors are women.
- The company also established an Equity and Engagement Center of Excellence to drive progress towards achieving equity across the organization and develop pathways to further opportunity and advancement for all employees.
Climate & Energy
- The company was named to the CDP Climate A List in 2020, achieving a distinction reached by only the top 5 percent of the more than 5,800 companies scored. ELC was also honored with RE100’s 2021 Enterprising Leader Award, acknowledging the company’s progress and leadership in the global transition to 100% renewable electricity.
- In fiscal 2021, the company made strong progress on its Scope 1 and 2 SBT and continued to make efforts towards meeting its Scope 3 SBT.
- The company’s largest renewable energy agreement to date — a 22 MW Virtual Power Purchase Agreement for a wind farm in Oklahoma — became fully operational, generating enough clean, renewable energy to cover its entire North America operations.
- ELC expanded its renewable energy portfolio through a new, on-site solar installation in Hillmount, Canada, bringing its total solar capacity to 5.7 MW. The company generated a cumulative total of more than 5,000 MWh of solar energy in fiscal 2021, supporting both progress toward its SBTs and helping meet its facilities’ energy needs with green power.
- The company achieved its PCR goal ahead of schedule and announced a more ambitious goal to increase the amount of PCR material in its packaging to 25 percent or more by the end of calendar year 2025.
- In addition, the company announced a new goal to reduce the amount of virgin petroleum plastic in its packaging to 50 percent or less by the end of calendar year 2030.
- In fiscal 2021, 89 percent of the company’s forest-based fiber cartons were FSC certified, increasing from 28 percent in fiscal 2019, driving progress towards its goal to have 100 percent of its forest-based fiber cartons FSC certified by the end of calendar year 2025.
- In fiscal 2021, the company integrated an innovative green chemistry program into its product development process, enabling visibility into the green chemistry profile of new product launches. The company is moving quickly to advance this work, especially in light of growing consumer interest in product formulation.
- As part of the company’s goal to have all brands publish key ingredient glossaries by the end of calendar year 2025, fiscal 2021 saw an additional seven brands — Estée Lauder, M·A·C, Bobbi Brown, Bumble and bumble, Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle, GLAMGLOW, and Smashbox — publish ingredient glossaries on their websites.
- To help support women who work within and around its supply chains, the company completed a successful two-year HERproject program in its packaging supply chain in fiscal 2021, in partnership with Business for Social Responsibility (BSR). As the first beauty company to sign on with the program, ELC is now expanding the program into agriculture, targeting shea, through a grant from ELCCF. The program will draw on existing HERproject curriculum modules such as gender awareness, communication skills, problem solving, financial planning, and wellness. The objective is to develop a HERproject model for the agricultural sector that may serve as a blueprint across ingredient supply chains, as well as become available to the wider beauty industry.
- In addition, in fiscal 2021, the company joined the Global Shea Alliance, a nonprofit industry association that promotes sustainability, quality practices, and standards for shea in food and cosmetics.
The company’s flagship social impact programs underpin its global social investment strategy. For example:
- Founded in 1992 by the late Evelyn H. Lauder with the launch of the iconic Pink Ribbon, The Breast Cancer Campaign (BCC) is ELC’s largest corporate social impact program. Together, BCC and ELCCF have funded more than $108 million for lifesaving global research, education, and medical services.
- The company’s groundbreaking M·A·C VIVA GLAM campaign has raised more than $500 million since 1994 for the global fight against HIV/AIDS and its mission to support health and rights for all, with a focus on women and girls and the LGBTQIA+ community.
In fiscal 2021, ELCCF deepened its commitment to girls’ education and expanded its mission to include women’s advancement, launching strategic partnerships with organizations such as:
- Co-Impact: ELCCF became an inaugural donor to Co-Impact's Gender Fund with a pledge of $15 million over five years focused on achieving transformative systems change for gender equality.
- Grantmakers for Girls of Color(G4GC): ELCCF committed to support G4GC’s Black Girl Freedom Fund, building upon the company’s existing commitment to girls’ education and racial equity with an added emphasis on reaching local groups at the intersection of race and gender.
- Plastics for Change: ELCCF’s partnership helps to enhance livelihoods for waste collectors in India, the majority of whom are women, while diverting plastics from the ocean.
- The Young Women’s Leadership Schools (TYWLS): A longtime partner with the Student Leadership Network’s TYWLS program, in fiscal 2021, ELCCF increased its longstanding support to include all TYWLS New York City schools serving girls in high school.
- To support members of its global family facing financial hardships due to COVID-19, the ELC Cares Employee Relief Fund awarded more than 13,700 grants and distributed more than $7.9 million through June 30, 2021 to employees worldwide.
- Through the globalization of ELC Good Works, the company’s charitable matching gifts and volunteerism platform, employees created and signed up for volunteer activities as well as requested to have their donations and volunteer hours matched by the company. In fiscal 2021, $2.9 million was collectively donated to more than 3,500 nonprofits on the platform in 19 markets globally.
- The company received 68 National Safety Council Awards in three categories, across 36 supply chain and R&D facilities and 14 global brand operations, with some facilities receiving multiple awards.
About The Estée Lauder Companies Inc.
The Estée Lauder Companies Inc. is one of the world’s leading manufacturers and marketers of quality skin care, makeup, fragrance and hair care products. The company’s products are sold in approximately 150 countries and territories under brand names including: Estée Lauder, Aramis, Clinique, Lab Series, Origins, Tommy Hilfiger, M·A·C, La Mer, Bobbi Brown, Donna Karan New York, DKNY, Aveda, Jo Malone London, Bumble and bumble, Michael Kors, Darphin Paris, TOM FORD BEAUTY, Smashbox, Ermenegildo Zegna, AERIN, Le Labo, Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle, GLAMGLOW, KILIAN PARIS, Too Faced and Dr. Jart+, and the DECIEM family of brands, including The Ordinary and NIOD.
This press release and the related Social Impact and Sustainability Report (the “report”) contain information about our social impact and sustainability goals, targets, initiatives, commitments, and activities. These efforts involve certain risks and uncertainties, such as changes in our business (e.g., acquisitions, divestitures, or new manufacturing or distribution locations), the standards by which achievement is measured, the assumptions underlying a particular goal, and our ability to accurately report particular information. This press release and the report include forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, including statements regarding our social impact and sustainability goals, targets, initiatives, commitments, and activities, as well as our future operations and long-term strategy. Although we believe that our expectations are based on reasonable assumptions within the bounds of our knowledge of our business and operations, we cannot assure that actual results or outcomes will not differ materially from any future results or outcomes expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements include all statements that do not relate solely to historical or current facts and involve a number of known and unknown risks, uncertainties, and other important factors such as those described in the report and in our recent SEC filings including in “Item 1A. Risk Factors” and “Item 7. Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations” in our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2021 and in our subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q and Current Reports on Form 8-K. We assume no responsibility to update the information contained in this press release or the report or to continue to disclose any information.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
Media: Bari Seiden-Young
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Covid - 19: Laboratoire Cerba Detects First Case of Omicron Variant in Mainland France2.12.2021 16:44:00 CET | Press release
Laboratoire Cerba, a global leader in specialized clinical pathology and member of the Cerba HealthCare Group, has detected a case of the Omicron variant from the sample of a patient arriving from Nigeria who was tested at Roissy Charles De Gaulle airport. The authorities - Santé Publique France [Public Health France], Agence Régionale de Santé Ile de France [Paris Regional Health Agency] and Direction Générale de Santé [General Directorate for Health]- were immediately informed. Laboratoire Cerba, chosen last October by the French Health Authorities to participate in the Emergen consortium, carries out between 1,000 and 1,500 sequencings per week with results returned in less than 5 days. Sylvie Cado, CEO of Laboratoire Cerba explains: "From the beginning of the epidemic, we have been working closely with the Authorities and the National Reference Centres to share the information and the strains of interest in order to support our Authorities in steering public policy: the systematic
i2c Partners with BEYON Money and Visa to Launch First Open Banking Super App in Bahrain2.12.2021 16:23:00 CET | Press release
i2c Inc., a leading provider of digital payment and banking technology, today announced its partnership with BEYON Money, the mobile super app launched by Batelco Financial Services, which is the fintech arm of Bahrain’s leading digital solutions and telecommunications provider. Backed by a recently-secured, first-of-its-kind open banking license from the Central Bank of Bahrain, the BEYON Money super app will host a digital wallet that enables retail, bill, and peer-to-peer payments for its users, connects to bank accounts through open banking, delivers financial insights and provides digital remittances. BEYON Money will develop card issuing and processing functionalities through i2c’s agile banking and payments platform which will also integrate additional partners and services. Through i2c’s Fintech Fast Track certification, BEYON Money will tap into Visa’s network infrastructure to launch a digital-first debit program to the market with a physical card option available upon reques
ENTERPRISE AND MEDIA ORGANIZATIONS DRIVE REVENUE, ENGAGEMENT, AND DEMAND WITH BRIGHTCOVE SOLUTIONS, INDEPENDENT STUDY REVEALS2.12.2021 15:00:00 CET | Press release
Brightcove Inc. (Nasdaq: BCOV), the global leader in video for business, released findings that enterprises and media organizations can generate 225% and 226% ROI respectively with Brightcove and see a full return on the initial investment in less than six months. The commissioned Total Economic Impact™ (TEI) studies conducted by Forrester Consulting examined cost savings and business benefits with Brightcove solutions for enterprise and media organizations. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211202005560/en/ Forrester Consulting interviewed decision-makers at multiple enterprise and media organizations with experience using Brightcove. Respondents came from organizations headquartered in the US and EMEA, all with multi-billion dollars of annual revenues. The enterprise interviewees represented industries including automotive manufacturing, technology manufacturing, and media services that primarily use video to
ElectReon Brings Wireless Inductive Electric Vehicle Charging Technology to Italy’s “Arena of the Future”2.12.2021 14:00:00 CET | Press release
ElectReon (TASE: ELWS.TA), the leading provider of inductive in-road charging technology for commercial and passenger electric vehicles, announced the launch of the “Arena of the Future'' project in Brescia, Italy where the company has integrated its wireless technology to charge an IVECO bus and Stellantis’s Fiat Nuova 500 passenger vehicle while driving. This project is demonstrating contactless charging for a range of EVs as they drive on highways and toll roads as a potential pathway to decarbonizing long-haul transportation systems along motorway transport corridors. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211202005493/en/ ElectReon announces the launch of "Arena of the Future" in Italy (Photo: Business Wire) The construction and technical implementation of the 1,050-metre-long circuit equipped with ElectReon’s properarity in-road charging coils and supported by 1MW of electrical power has been successfully compl
Orbital Insight Integrates with Esri's ArcGIS Platform to Streamline Satellite and Sensor Imagery Analysis2.12.2021 14:00:00 CET | Press release
Orbital Insight's fusion of multisensor geospatial data and state-of-the-art algorithms has been helping customers address critical concerns for years—from determining the flow of container ship traffic amid unprecedented supply chain delays to visualizing dynamic intelligence and defense-related threats and anomalies across the globe. With the adoption of Esri's ArcGIS Platform, Orbital Insight is making it easier for its users to integrate with ArcGIS and analyze their data. Customers of Esri, the world leader in location intelligence, who also use Orbital Insight GO can now seamlessly work between both systems, making it easier to meet spatial challenges with Esri basemap visualizations directly within the Orbital Insight GO platform and export their analysis to ArcGIS. The integration with Esri's ArcGIS Platform provides an integral reference point for analysts as well as a more cohesive and natural user experience. More collaboration is planned, including eventually incorporating
NuScale Power Unveils Name of Flagship SMR Plants as the Company Approaches Commercialization2.12.2021 14:00:00 CET | Press release
NuScale Power today unveiled the official name of its small modular reactor (SMR) power plants – VOYGR™. NuScale is on the frontier of innovation in energy and the name VOYGR demonstrates that NuScale is changing the world by creating an energy source that is smarter, cleaner, safer, and cost competitive. NuScale’s flagship VOYGR-12 scalable power plant design can accommodate up to 12 NuScale Power Modules™ (NPM), resulting in a total gross output of 924 megawatts electric (MWe). NuScale also offers smaller scalable power plant solutions, the four-module VOYGR-4 (308 MWe) and six-module VOYGR-6 (462 MWe), that are underpinned by the rigorous safety case of the company’s NuScale Power Module™ SMR technology. The first VOYGR plant will be operational by the end of the decade. 12-Module (924 MWe) 6-Module (462 MWe) 4-Module (308 MWe) VOYGR™-12 VOYGR™-6 VOYGR™-4 As the first and only SMR to receive design approval from the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, the VOYGR plants are a scalable
SoftServe Releases Sustainability Report2.12.2021 13:05:00 CET | Press release
SoftServe, a leading digital authority and consulting company, has released its second bi-annual Sustainability Report. The report, prepared according to GRI Standards, highlights progress made against the company’s ongoing commitment to a sustainable business strategy, featuring key initiatives and achievements that positively impact society and the environment. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211202005018/en/ SoftServe Releases Sustainability Report “As a global organization, we must take responsibility towards our associates, customers, and communities,” said Chris Baker, CEO at SoftServe. “SoftServe is a people-centric company, focused on creating an inclusive workplace that supports our associates’ well-being, access to education, and innovation, which enables us to support sustainable development in our communities around the world.” “In 2020 the world faced extraordinary new challenges that impacted eac