The Consortium Urges Investors to Vote in Favour of Its Binding Agreement for Finalto at the Playtech General Meeting on 15 July 2021
Finalto S.P.V. Ltd, the consortium led by Barinboim Group and backed by Leumi Partners Limited and Menora Mivtachim Group, together with key members of the Finalto Business' management team (together the "Consortium"), responds to the announcement by another party of non-binding interest in Playtech plc’s (“Playtech”) financial trading division, Finalto Group ("Finalto").
The Consortium wants to provide an update on the risks that Playtech shareholders face in not voting for the Consortium’s binding agreement for Finalto (the “Binding Agreement”) and provide reassurance on the certainty and fair value of the Consortium’s offer. After a lengthy bidding process, the Consortium was selected by Playtech on the value of its bid and also the certainty it provided that the Binding Agreement would complete and pass the stringent regulatory approvals.
The Consortium’s Binding Agreement delivers considerable value and certainty of completing this complex transaction
As announced on 26th May 2021, Playtech agreed to sell Finalto to the Consortium, thereby concluding a lengthy, complicated, regulatory-driven and in-depth sale process which began in 2019.
- In Playtech’s own words, this has been an “elongated and thorough process” and the Consortium was selected taking into account not just the price, but also its “ability to complete the transaction (particularly in light of the Finalto Business’ regulated status in multiple global jurisdictions) and the potential to provide a “clean break” for Playtech.”
- The complexity of this transaction should not be underestimated. To provide an example, the Consortium was required to complete extensive regulatory and KYC requirements before it was even eligible to undergo the main regulatory approval checks, all of which took several months to complete, even for a blue-chip consortium such as this one.
- The level of scrutiny that each member of the Consortium underwent in this transaction was substantially higher than normal. In fact, before being allowed to participate in the sale process, each prospective buyer was subject to a multi-factor review which ranged from regulatory clearance to assurances over proof and source of funds, all to ensure a high certainty that the transaction would close.
- Once the Consortium was approved to negotiate the sale and purchase of Finalto with Playtech, it was also made clear to the Consortium that Playtech would only agree to a very limited set of representations and warranties, which again was highly unusual for a transaction of this size and level of complexity. The Consortium agreed, and what followed was a signed Sale and Purchase Agreement (“SPA”) for Finalto.
Not voting for the Consortium’s Binding Agreement risks destabilising Finalto and its performance
- Contrary to what was implied in Gopher Investments’ (“Gopher”) statement, shareholders should understand that due to certain binding terms of the SPA, Playtech is unable to engage with any alternative bidders straight away, even if the shareholders vote against the Consortium’s bid. Moreover, any subsequent sale process will take many months to conclude, during which time Finalto will be – yet again – subject to considerable uncertainty. By the Consortium’s conservative estimation, another bidding process will not be concluded until late 2022 at the earliest.
- Additionally, under the terms of the SPA, should the SPA be terminated in the event that shareholders of Playtech do not approve the Consortium’s Binding Agreement, Playtech will be required to pay the Consortium a consideration of $8.8m in the event that a sale transaction is entered into with a third party within the 12 months after termination of the SPA at a value in excess of $200m.
- It seems quite certain that another lengthy sale process will likely have a highly destabilising and damaging impact on the Finalto business and its workforce, which has already been subject to very aggressive market speculation and whose performance is already under considerable pressure due to factors beyond Finalto’s control such as an uncertain trading environment, the impact of the global pandemic, the ever-changing regulatory nature of the industry and the drawn out sale process since 2019, which has taken up extensive management time already.
Questionable lack of transparency from bidding party undermines certainty of its non-binding indicative offer
The non-binding indicative offer from Gopher presents considerable uncertainty for the Playtech shareholders. Little if anything is known about Gopher, the source of its funds and its ultimate controlling party. What Gopher has purportedly shared about itself is:
- It was registered in the Cayman Islands just days ago.
- Gopher is being advised by TT Bond Partners (“TTB”) and its Hong Kong regulated affiliate, TTB Partners Limited, all of which are registered under the very same address in Hong Kong.
- The little that is known about TTB is that it specializes in, and markets itself as, an investment advisor principally focused on linking Chinese investors with foreign deals. Any acquisition by an entity controlled out of China is likely to raise material regulatory concerns and will be subject to very close scrutiny.
- Gopher has recently acquired just shy of 5% of Playtech plc’s shares, the threshold requiring Gopher to disclose extensive information about itself to regulators.
- To date, no information has been made available as to the identity(s) of Gopher’s ultimate beneficial ownership, those who control Gopher, or Gopher’s source of funds.
- It should also be noted that given the sale process was public and has been going on for months, the timing of Gopher’s approach raises suspicion about their intentions. Gopher could have participated in the process when it was live.
THE CONSORTIUM URGES INVESTORS TO VOTE IN FAVOUR OF ITS BINDING AGREEMENT TO ACQUIRE FINALTO AT THE PLAYTECH GENERAL MEETING ON 15 JULY 2021
The Consortium seeks to stress to the Playtech shareholders that the Binding Agreement, which was unanimously supported by Playtech’s board of directors, represents considerable value for Playtech shareholders. Furthermore:
- The Binding Agreement provides Playtech shareholders with near term certainty of completion following a lengthy and arduous sale process.
- There is no certainty that the Consortium would be prepared to proceed with any acquisition should its Binding Agreement not be approved at the General Meeting on 15th July 2021.
- Voting in favour of the Consortium’s Binding Agreement ensures Playtech’s receipt of the considerable Binding Agreement proceeds in the near future, thereby equipping Playtech with additional resources for reinvestment in its core gambling business, and likewise ending a lengthy, costly and distracting sale process.
- Voting in favour of the Consortium’s Binding Agreement removes the considerable risk, delay and additional costs associated with yet another sale process. In fact, the Consortium has already submitted mandatory change of control applications in multiple jurisdictions where Finalto operates to expedite the closing of the Binding Agreement.
- From the outset of the transaction, the Consortium’s Binding Agreement was and remains fully financed with immediately available proceeds.
- The Consortium is made up of three blue chip multinational organisations, namely, the Barinboim Group, an established investment firm that has a track record of acquiring and growing successful global media companies, Leumi Partners Limited, the merchant and investment banking arm of Bank Leumi (TASE: LUMI), one of the two largest banking groups in Israel, and Menora Mivtachim Group, an Israeli insurance and finance group.
Shareholders have a simple decision at the General Meeting on 15th July 2021:
VOTE IN FAVOUR OF THE CONSORTIUM’S FULLY FUNDED AND BOARD-APPROVED BINDING AGREEMENT – REVIEWED BY PLAYTECH’S FINANCIAL ADVISER AND RECOMMENDED BY PLAYTECH – PROVIDING CONSIDERABLE VALUE, NEAR TERM COMPLETION AND CERTAINTY FOR SHAREHOLDERS AND THE PLAYTECH BUSINESS.
OR risk being left in a predicament where there is no firm bid for Finalto and only speculative interest from an unknown entity and no certainty that any transaction will be completed in 2022, with all the costs, delay, uncertainty, and destabilisation for Playtech, the Finalto Business and Playtech shareholders.
About the Consortium
The Consortium is a company incorporated in Israel, established for the purpose of acquiring the Finalto Business. The Consortium is being funded by a group consisting of Barinboim Group, Leumi Partners Limited and Menora Mivtachim Group and by senior secured debt financing from The Phoenix Insurance Company Limited and certain of its affiliates. The Consortium will be supported by key members of the Finalto Business' management team that will transfer with the Finalto Business, including Ron Hoffman (Chief Executive Officer of the Finalto Business) and Liron Greenbaum (Chief Operations Officer of the Finalto Business).
Barinboim Group is a private equity and venture capital firm based in Tel Aviv. Barinboim Group invests in companies operating in the media sectors.
Leumi Partners Limited is the merchant and investment banking arm of Bank Leumi (TASE: LUMI), one of the two largest banking groups in Israel. Leumi Partners Limited is based in Tel Aviv and offers direct equity investment in sectors such as technology media and telecom, consumer & retail, and healthcare. Leumi Partners Limited's line of business includes conducting investments and providing services such as underwriting, financial analysis and research, strategic advice, mergers & acquisitions, and raising equity and debt.
Menora Mivtachim Group is one of Israel's five largest insurance & finance groups. The group specializes in asset management, manages the largest pension fund in Israel - and is the largest General Insurer in Israel and the market leader in Motor Insurance sector. The group operates through its subsidiaries, in all sectors of Life Insurance, Long/Mid/Short -Term Savings, General Insurance and Health Insurance. In addition, the group is active in the capital markets and finance sectors, including, Financial Portfolio Management, Underwriting and worldwide real estate investments.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
For further information:
Tony Quinn +44 (0)7790 485 935 email@example.com
Patrick Mitchell +44 (0)7974 079 785 firstname.lastname@example.org
Charlotte Balbirnie +44 (0)7989 528421 email@example.com
Caroline Villiers +44 (0)7808 585184 firstname.lastname@example.org
Ishai Drori email@example.com
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
QuadraGen Announces the Launch of Its Next Generation Commercial Loan Processing SaaS Platform and Edward Ho Joins As Chairman29.7.2021 16:00:00 CEST | Press release
QuadraGen announces the launch of its next generation commercial loan servicing SaaS platform to help financial institutions transform their complex loan processing capabilities. The QuadraGen Platform supports various areas of loan operations, enabling more efficient and effective processing of loan information, risk management, and decision-making. The QuadraGen SaaS platform consists of a suite of independently deployable microservices that augment existing technology, filling in gaps where processes and functions are not well executed, or replacing legacy capabilities with its next generation software. QuadraGen’s key differentiator is its team of experts, who have decades of commercial lending experience understanding and solving complex loan operation issues. Financial institutions are challenged by the size, complexity, number of participants, and speed of the loan markets. Many institutions use in-house or legacy systems that are inadequate for today’s ever-growing needs. Quadr
Comcast Announces Peacock Coming to Sky29.7.2021 15:30:00 CEST | Press release
Comcast today announced NBCUniversal and Sky will make Peacock available at no additional cost to nearly 20 million Sky customers in Europe. Beginning later this year, Peacock will make its international debut across Sky platforms, including Sky Q, NOW, and Sky Ticket, currently serving customers throughout the UK, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Austria, and Switzerland. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210729005660/en/ “Comcast’s Xfinity has been integral to the success of our go-to-market strategy with Peacock in the U.S., and we see a similar opportunity to expand internationally with Sky,” said Jeff Shell, Chief Executive Officer, NBCUniversal. “We are excited to bring Peacock to millions of Sky customers and add incredible value to their platforms with a premium catalog of the best entertainment from across NBCUniversal that is included with their subscription. By leveraging Comcast’s Xfinity platforms in the U.
BOW Group Acquires Musart, Adding Innovative Art Marketplace to Its Offering29.7.2021 15:15:00 CEST | Press release
BOW Group today announced that it has successfully completed the acquisition of Musart.com, a fast-growing online destination to buy original artworks and licensed products. This transaction will allow BOW Group to seize new opportunities in the booming digital art market. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210729005637/en/ (Photo: Musart) “BOW Group and Musart share the same passion for good yet accessible design that brings emotions to consumers at every moment of the day,” said Boris Brault, BOW Group Founder and CEO. “Together, with Musart’s unique product curation and established relationships with leading institutions, we can conquer the thriving online art market thanks to our global ecommerce, logistics and development capabilities. With Musart in our portfolio, we are expanding our offering and enhancing the growth potential of our business beyond IoT and lifestyle objects. Today, the art world is fundam
IWBI Collaborates with Leading Organizations to Launch WELL Enterprise Provider Designation29.7.2021 15:00:00 CEST | Press release
The International WELL Building Institute (IWBI) today launched the WELL Enterprise Provider (WELL EP) designation for organizations that demonstrate expertise for delivering a comprehensive suite of WELL solutions at a portfolio or enterprise scale. WELL EPs guide their clients to identify and implement WELL strategies, helping companies meet their larger business objectives in areas such as environmental, social and governance (ESG) reporting, human and social capital management, and workplace strategy and policy. Through this new program, IWBI and WELL EPs work together to more efficiently deliver the many benefits of WELL solutions across real estate portfolios and entire organizations. Companies granted the WELL EP designation offer their demonstrated expertise in WELL along with tailored resources to support the growing demand for enhanced health and well-being for employees, customers and communities. “In the wake of the COVID -19 pandemic, the exponential growth of WELL adoptio
MapleStory M Third Anniversary Culminates in Massive Update With New Angelic Buster Character and In-Game Celebration Events29.7.2021 15:00:00 CEST | Press release
MapleStory M, the free-to-play mobile MMORPG for iOS and Android, is continuing its third anniversary celebration with the introduction of Angelic Buster and a host of events for players to enjoy. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210729005175/en/ MapleStory M Third Anniversary Culminates in Massive Update With New Angelic Buster Character and In-Game Celebration Events (Photo: Business Wire) Born as a disgraced Nova without a tail or magic, Angelic Buster inherited the powers of Eskalade, an ancient dragon residing inside an ancient relic of Pantheon. Equipped with a dragon shaped arm cannon, known as Soul Shooter, Angelic Buster is able to blast waves of enemies with ease. In her second slot, this Nova Pirate holds on to the power of Eskalade in a special ring, known as Soul Ring, transforming her into Angelic Buster and allowing her to use her special skills. New characters between levels 3 and 120 can level
Takeda and Frazier Healthcare Partners Announce Collaboration to Launch HilleVax, Inc. to Develop Clinical Stage Norovirus Vaccine Candidate29.7.2021 14:30:00 CEST | Press release
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (TSE:4502/NYSE:TAK) (Takeda) and Frazier Healthcare Partners (Frazier) today announced a collaboration to launch HilleVax, Inc. (HilleVax), a biopharmaceutical company to develop and commercialize Takeda’s norovirus vaccine candidate. Takeda has granted a license to HilleVax for the exclusive development and commercialization rights to its norovirus vaccine candidate, HIL-214 (formerly TAK-214), worldwide outside of Japan, in exchange for upfront consideration, as well as future cash milestones and royalties on net sales. Takeda will retain commercialization rights in Japan and HilleVax will integrate certain Japan development activities into its global development. Takeda remains committed to vaccines, and this collaboration allows Takeda to focus its global resources on dengue, COVID-19, pandemic influenza and Zika, in addition to the vaccines it currently distributes in Japan. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: h
RoboSense Partners with GAC Aion to Deliver Mass-produced Advanced Autonomous Vehicles with LiDAR29.7.2021 14:00:00 CEST | Press release
RoboSense LiDAR, the leading Smart LiDAR Sensor provider and GAC Aion New Energy Automobile Co., Ltd. (“GAC Aion”) set up by Guangzhou Automobile Group Co., Ltd (GAC Group，6601238.SH，02238.HK), a Fortune 500 company and one of the automobile groups with the most complete industry chain in China jointly announced that GAC has selected RoboSense's second-generation intelligent solid-state LiDAR equipped with the ADiGO autonomous driving system，and will be mass-produced on a variety of autonomous driving models including the Aion LX of GAC Aion. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210729005558/en/ (Photo: Business Wire) ADiGO is an intelligent driving ecosystem led by GAC. This independently developed and interconnected ecosystem integrates smart factory, autopilot system, and IoT system. Powered by big data and various AI technologies, the self-driving system is available for mass production in L3 and is able to sup