Teva Presents New Data at 7th European Academy of Neurology Congress Suggesting Socio-Economic Factors May Contribute to the Significant Under-Diagnosis of Migraine
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NYSE and TASE: TEVA) today presented new epidemiology data on migraine from the State of Israel which indicate that socio-economic factors may contribute to underdiagnosis of migraine across society1.
A retrospective study of migraine epidemiology in Southern Israel, supported by Teva and presented at the virtual 7th Congress of the European Academy of Neurology (EAN), found extreme variability in the prevalence of diagnosed patients with migraine across the geographic area studied.
Prevalence rates were positively associated with the socio-economic status of the geographic area studied, suggesting that those living with migraine from less advantaged areas may find it harder to achieve an accurate diagnosis and thereby access appropriate therapy.
“These findings are concerning not least because they suggest significant ‘migraine awareness inequity’ in this population,” said Professor Gal Ifergane, study investigator, practitioner, head of the Department of Neurology and chair of the Division of Brain Medicine at Soroka University Medical Center, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel.
“While our study focuses on one region of one country, it may indicate this type of inequity is common in other parts of the world. Migraine is a difficult, challenging neurological disease which does not discriminate dependent on an individual’s social status. We conclude that underdiagnosis could be as much a social problem as a medical problem, and this requires further consideration if we are to ensure all those who live with migraine have access to the therapeutic interventions which are right for them. We believe migraine should be prioritised as a highly prevalent and often under-looked neurological disorder.”
The study findings build on an increasingly clear understanding of the challenges facing people living with migraine. A 2020 Teva-sponsored research project, Beyond Migraine: The Real You, surveyed over 7,500 people living with the disease in 10 European countries. It discovered that people living with migraine struggled to support themselves or advocate for improved disease management. The survey exposed the often-devastating impact of migraine on all aspects of a patient's life, across personal relationships, work life, social life and education.
- 60% of people living with migraine indicated that the disease had negatively impacted their social life, studies, work and career
- 40% of young people living with migraine indicated a negative impact on their education
- Only 1 out of 8 individuals belonged to a patient support group
“We were pleased to support these research efforts, which throw into sharp relief the social inequality which is clearly prevalent in migraine,” said Dr Joshua M. Cohen, Senior Director and Global Therapeutic Area Lead, Migraine and Headache, Teva.
“Our commitment as Teva is to support improvements in migraine holistically, working with the neurology community and allied professionals to advance not only effective therapies, but better diagnosis, information and conditions for all those who live with this debilitating disease. We look forward to continuing our extensive research commitment as a partner to all those impacted by migraine, regardless of their location or social situation.”
About the Epidemiological Study
A total of 29,938 migraine patients were identified from of 391,528 adult public health records. The overall prevalence (per 10,000 adults) of migraine was 764.64 (7.64%), 1143.34 (11.43%) for women and 374.97 (3.74%) for men. Among the area studied, adjusted prevalence ranged from 386.14 (3.86%) to 1320.59 (13.20%). The female-to-male ratio ranged from 1.18:1 to 5.1:1.
About the ‘Beyond Migraine: The Real You survey
- The digital survey was conducted as part of the 'Beyond Migraine; The Real You' Campaign in 10 countries (Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Sweden and the UK) between November 2019-December 20192.
- All respondents were 18+ years old and experienced migraine attacks for at least 4 days a month (self-reported).
- The total sample size was 7,520.
Accessing EAN 2021 Presentations
The ePresentations shared by Teva at EAN 2021 can be accessed by healthcare professionals via the EAN conference website, and available on-demand for EAN members.
Additional resources on migraine, including articles, publication summaries, podcasts and webinars can be accessed at Neurologybytes. Neurologybytes is a platform published by Teva to support neurologists in accessing timely, bite-sized content on the latest research developments and clinical care perspectives in the world of migraine and multiple sclerosis (MS).
Information for Europe about AJOVY® from the European Medicines Agency (EMA) can be found here.
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NYSE and TASE: TEVA) has been developing and producing medicines to improve people’s lives for more than a century. We are a global leader in generic and specialty medicines with a portfolio consisting of over 3,500 products in nearly every therapeutic area. Around 200 million people around the world take a Teva medicine every day and are served by one of the largest and most complex supply chains in the pharmaceutical industry. Along with our established presence in generics, we have significant innovative research and operations supporting our growing portfolio of specialty and biopharmaceutical products. Learn more at www.tevapharm.com.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, which are based on management’s current beliefs and expectations and are subject to substantial risks and uncertainties, both known and unknown, that could cause our future results, performance or achievements to differ significantly from that expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Important factors that could cause or contribute to such differences include risks relating to:
- our ability to successfully compete in the marketplace, including: that we are substantially dependent on our generic products; consolidation of our customer base and commercial alliances among our customers; delays in launches of new generic products; the increase in the number of competitors targeting generic opportunities and seeking U.S. market exclusivity for generic versions of significant products; our ability to develop and commercialize biopharmaceutical products; competition for our specialty products, including AUSTEDO®, AJOVY® and COPAXONE®; our ability to achieve expected results from investments in our product pipeline; our ability to develop and commercialize additional pharmaceutical products; and the effectiveness of our patents and other measures to protect our intellectual property rights;
- our substantial indebtedness, which may limit our ability to incur additional indebtedness, engage in additional transactions or make new investments, may result in a further downgrade of our credit ratings; and our inability to raise debt or borrow funds in amounts or on terms that are favorable to us;
- our business and operations in general, including: uncertainty regarding the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on our business, financial condition, operations, cash flows, and liquidity and on the economy in general; our ability to successfully execute and maintain the activities and efforts related to the measures we have taken or may take in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and associated costs therewith; effectiveness of our optimization efforts; our ability to attract, hire and retain highly skilled personnel; manufacturing or quality control problems; interruptions in our supply chain; disruptions of information technology systems; breaches of our data security; variations in intellectual property laws; challenges associated with conducting business globally, including political or economic instability, major hostilities or terrorism; costs and delays resulting from the extensive pharmaceutical regulation to which we are subject or delays in governmental processing time due to travel and work restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic;
- the effects of reforms in healthcare regulation and reductions in pharmaceutical pricing, reimbursement and coverage; significant sales to a limited number of customers; our ability to successfully bid for suitable acquisition targets or licensing opportunities, or to consummate and integrate acquisitions; and our prospects and opportunities for growth if we sell assets;
- compliance, regulatory and litigation matters, including: failure to comply with complex legal and regulatory environments; increased legal and regulatory action in connection with public concern over the abuse of opioid medications and our ability to reach a final resolution of the remaining opioid-related litigation; scrutiny from competition and pricing authorities around the world, including our ability to successfully defend against the U.S. Department of Justice criminal charges of Sherman Act violations; potential liability for patent infringement; product liability claims; failure to comply with complex Medicare and Medicaid reporting and payment obligations; compliance with anti-corruption sanctions and trade control laws; and environmental risks;
- other financial and economic risks, including: our exposure to currency fluctuations and restrictions as well as credit risks; potential impairments of our intangible assets; potential significant increases in tax liabilities (including as a result of potential tax reform in the United States); and the effect on our overall effective tax rate of the termination or expiration of governmental programs or tax benefits, or of a change in our business; and other factors discussed in this press release, in our Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the first quarter of 2021 and in our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2020, including in the sections captioned "Risk Factors” and “Forward Looking Statements.” Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date on which they are made, and we assume no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements or other information contained herein, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. You are cautioned not to put undue reliance on these forward-looking statements.
- Ifergane et al, 2021. A retrospective database study of migraine epidemiology in Southern Israel. Presented at EAN 2021, 21 June 2021.
- Beyond Migraine: The Real You. A survey commissioned by Teva, 2020.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
Fiona Cohen, Teva Europe
+31 6 20 08 25 45
Con Franklin, Ketchum
+44 (0) 7974 434 151
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Bob Slinn Joins FunPlus Senior Leadership Team as Vice President of Business Development4.8.2021 17:15:00 CEST | Press release
FunPlus, a leading independent mobile game developer and publisher, today announced that Bob Slinn has been appointed as Vice President of Business Development for the company. As a member of the company’s senior leadership team headquartered in Switzerland, Slinn will report to Chief Business Officer Chris Petrovic and be responsible for leading the company’s Western market strategic business development efforts. These efforts will include managing and expanding FunPlus’ growing list of global IP partners and deepening the company’s platform relationships, as well as leading developer relations efforts in support of the company’s ongoing strategic investment and M&A activities. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210804005425/en/ Bob Slinn Joins FunPlus Senior Leadership Team as Vice President of Business Development (Photo: Business Wire) “We’re delighted to welcome Bob to the team in a leadership role that is t
Tigo Energy Unveils Energy Intelligence Platform to Simplify Fleet Management4.8.2021 16:00:00 CEST | Press release
Tigo Energy, Inc., the solar industry’s worldwide leader in Flex MLPE (Module Level Power Electronics), today unveiled its Energy Intelligence (EI) Solution, a comprehensive digital platform designed to optimize the installer experience around commissioning, monitoring, and maintaining fleets of solar installations. For solar installers, operations and maintenance represents a significant and ongoing burden due to the lack of visibility to the module-level information. Tigo EI quickly identifies issues that increase truck rolls, undermine energy output, and undercut the economic success of said installations. EI also delivers the tools to decrease operation and maintenance costs, increase system performance and revenue, and improve the user experience for both installers and customers. The platform also simplifies the commissioning process by providing greater system visibility and information to end installers and EPCs. “Fleet management technology is the next key enabler in renewable
Avex Releases 100% Hemp Cloth T-shirt4.8.2021 16:00:00 CEST | Press release
Avex Entertainment Inc. began limited sales from July 30 of the T-shirts from a Japanese fabric brand "majotae" (pronounced "ma-yo-tah-e") on its official website, using hemp*1, the natural, sustainable material that is gaining attention globally. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210804005064/en/ 100% hemp cloth T-shirt made by majotae (Photo: Business Wire) By maximizing the company's knowhow in creating entertainment contents, Avex shares with the world a new concept in sustainability—hemp cloth, which combines both comfort as clothing, and earth-friendly, ecological aspects. Avex is cultivating a brand new field of business that creates moving experiences beyond the field of entertainment. About majotae Majotae is a brand that utilizes modern technology to resurrect the true texture of the hemp cloth that Japanese people have used since ancient times. The greatest feature of "majotae" is its realization of a
Q4 Launches Suite of ESG Communications Products4.8.2021 15:00:00 CEST | Press release
Q4 Inc. (Q4), a leading capital markets communications platform, announced the first phase of new products that standardize how public companies can deliver information regarding their environmental, social and governance (ESG) efforts. At a time of extensive data collection, heightened investor emphasis and mounting regulatory mandates around ESG disclosure, public companies are challenged with what and how best to communicate their social impact and sustainability programs. Similarly investors are taxed with distilling the vast amount of ESG-related information relevant to their investment criteria. In its fundamental commitment to ESG, both as an organization and on behalf of its clients, Q4 has introduced the first of several new offerings that enable public companies to effectively tell their ESG story in a format that makes it easier for investors to consume. Working in tandem with its leading clients, Q4 has established a set of best practice, industry-focused templates for corp
Enedym, Inc. Announces Two New Appointments To Board of Directors4.8.2021 14:00:00 CEST | Press release
Enedym, Inc. (“Enedym”), the technology company thatdevelops next generation switched reluctance motors (SRMs), electric propulsion, and electrified powertrains, announced today that it has appointed Robert Lee, former Vice President of Engines, Electrified Propulsion, and Advanced Powertrain Engineering at Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) and Ron Harper, President and CEO of JFE Shoji Power Canada Inc., to its board of directors. "We are so pleased to welcome Bob and Ron as new directors to Enedym’s board," said Ali Emadi, Founder, President, and CEO of Enedym. "They join Enedym at an exciting time as we expand our operations and development capabilities in order to continue to transform the electric motor and electrified powertrain sector. Bob’s deep experience in the global automotive sector will bring valuable experience to our rapidly growing automotive electrification business. Ron’s expertise in manufacturing and supply chain management will be valuable in developing Enedym’s eme
yellow.ai Raises $78.15M to Deliver Total Customer Experience Automation4.8.2021 13:33:00 CEST | Press release
yellow.ai, the world’s leading customer experience (CX) automation platform, trusted by 700+ enterprises globally, today announced it has raised $78.15M in Series C, led by WestBridge Capital along with Sapphire Ventures, and Salesforce Ventures. Lightspeed Venture Partners again participated in this round, which brings total funding raised so far to $102.15M. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210804005587/en/ Raises $78.15M to Deliver Total CX Automation (Graphic: Business Wire) yellow.ai enables enterprises to leverage its proprietary NLP engine and platform to build chatbots and voice bots, in 100+ languages, across 35+ channels that automate functions like Customer Support, Customer Engagement, Conversational Commerce, and Employee Experience. The platform comes pre-integrated with enterprise applications like Salesforce, Shopify, Cisco, Avaya, SharePoint, and 100 more. Since its prior funding round, yellow.
ANYbotics Boosts Autonomous Mobile Robots with Velodyne Lidar Sensors4.8.2021 12:48:00 CEST | Press release
Velodyne Lidar, Inc. (Nasdaq: VLDR, VLDRW) today announced ANYbotics is equipping its autonomous mobile robots with Velodyne’s Puck™ lidar sensors. ANYbotics robots provide industrial operators with an automated robotic inspection solution to support efforts in monitoring and maintaining plants. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210804005237/en/ Equipped with Velodyne Lidar’s Puck™ sensors, ANYbotics’ four-legged robot ANYmal performs inspection and monitoring tasks in challenging industrial terrains such as mining and minerals, oil and gas, chemicals, energy and construction. (Photo: ANYbotics) ANYbotics’ four-legged robot ANYmal performs inspection and monitoring tasks in challenging industrial terrains such as mining and minerals, oil and gas, chemicals, energy and construction. ANYmal’s legs provide unparalleled mobility when moving up and down stairs, climbing over obstacles, steps and gaps, and crawling in