Teva and Bioeq Announce Commercial Partnership for Biosimilar
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NYSE: and TASE: TEVA) and Bioeq AG ("Bioeq") today announced that they have entered into a strategic partnership for the exclusive commercialization of Bioeq's FYB201, a biosimilar candidate to Lucentis® (ranibizumab) in Europe, Canada, Israel and New Zealand.
This strategic partnership combines Teva’s long-standing commercial presence, extensive distribution network and wide-reaching sales and marketing activities across Europe and international markets with Bioeq’s capabilities in the development of biosimilar drugs for highly regulated countries with stringent quality standards. Bioeq has in-licensed the exclusive global commercialization rights to FYB201 from the German biosimilar developer Formycon AG.
“Unlocking the value of biologics with biosimilars is an important new frontier in drug development that offers patients safe and effective treatment options through more affordable alternatives to branded biological products that have lost their exclusivity rights,” says Sven Dethlefs, PhD, Executive Vice President, Global Marketing & Portfolio and International Markets Commercial. “This collaboration expands Teva’s biosimilar portfolio and again demonstrates the company’s firm commitment to creating greater access to quality medications to help improve the lives of more patients."
Commenting on the agreement, Nicola Mikulcik, Board Member at Bioeq, says, “We are proud of having secured Teva as our partner of choice for these markets. This agreement is an important milestone in bringing a highly effective treatment option for retinopathies, including age-related macular degeneration, to patients.”
According to the terms of the agreement, Bioeq will be responsible for the development, registration and supply of the biosimilar, while Teva will be responsible for commercializing the product. Teva and Bioeq will share revenue from the commercialization of the biosimilar. All other financial terms and product details remain confidential.
Biosimilars are intended for use in place of existing, branded biologics to treat a range of chronic and often life-threatening diseases, with the potential to reduce costs and expand patient access. Biosimilars exhibit proven analytical and clinical similarity to their respective branded reference products.
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NYSE and TASE: TEVA) has been developing and producing medicines to improve people’s lives for more than a century. We are a global leader in generic and specialty medicines with a portfolio consisting of over 3,500 products in nearly every therapeutic area. Around 200 million people around the world take a Teva medicine every day, and are served by one of the largest and most complex supply chains in the pharmaceutical industry. Along with our established presence in generics, we have significant innovative research and operations supporting our growing portfolio of specialty and biopharmaceutical products. Learn more at www.tevapharm.com.
Bioeq is a Swiss biopharmaceutical joint venture between the Polpharma Biologics Group and the Strüngmann Group. Bioeq develops, licenses and commercializes biosimilars. www.bioeq.ch
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 regarding our biosimilar portfolio, which are based on management’s current beliefs and expectations and are subject to substantial risks and uncertainties, both known and unknown, that could cause our future results, performance or achievements to differ significantly from that expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Important factors that could cause or contribute to such differences include risks relating to:
- the commercial success of our biosimilar portfolio;
- our ability to successfully compete in the marketplace, including: that we are substantially dependent on our generic products; consolidation of our customer base and commercial alliances among our customers; delays in launches of new generic products; the increase in the number of competitors targeting generic opportunities and seeking U.S. market exclusivity for generic versions of significant products; our ability to develop and commercialize biopharmaceutical products; competition for our specialty products, including AUSTEDO®, AJOVY® and COPAXONE®; our ability to achieve expected results from investments in our product pipeline; our ability to develop and commercialize additional pharmaceutical products; and the effectiveness of our patents and other measures to protect our intellectual property rights;
- our substantial indebtedness, which may limit our ability to incur additional indebtedness, engage in additional transactions or make new investments, may result in a further downgrade of our credit ratings; and our inability to raise debt or borrow funds in amounts or on terms that are favorable to us;
- our business and operations in general, including: uncertainty regarding the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on our business, financial condition, operations, cash flows, and liquidity and on the economy in general; our ability to successfully execute and maintain the activities and efforts related to the measures we have taken or may take in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and associated costs therewith; effectiveness of our optimization efforts; our ability to attract, hire and retain highly skilled personnel; manufacturing or quality control problems; interruptions in our supply chain; disruptions of information technology systems; breaches of our data security; variations in intellectual property laws; challenges associated with conducting business globally, including political or economic instability, major hostilities or terrorism; costs and delays resulting from the extensive pharmaceutical regulation to which we are subject or delays in governmental processing time due to travel and work restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic; the effects of reforms in healthcare regulation and reductions in pharmaceutical pricing, reimbursement and coverage; significant sales to a limited number of customers; our ability to successfully bid for suitable acquisition targets or licensing opportunities, or to consummate and integrate acquisitions; and our prospects and opportunities for growth if we sell assets;
- compliance, regulatory and litigation matters, including: failure to comply with complex legal and regulatory environments; increased legal and regulatory action in connection with public concern over the abuse of opioid medications and our ability to reach a final resolution of the remaining opioid-related litigation; scrutiny from competition and pricing authorities around the world, including our ability to successfully defend against the U.S. Department of Justice criminal charges of Sherman Act violations; potential liability for patent infringement; product liability claims; failure to comply with complex Medicare and Medicaid reporting and payment obligations; compliance with anti-corruption sanctions and trade control laws; and environmental risks;
- other financial and economic risks, including: our exposure to currency fluctuations and restrictions as well as credit risks; potential impairments of our intangible assets; potential significant increases in tax liabilities (including as a result of potential tax reform in the United States); and the effect on our overall effective tax rate of the termination or expiration of governmental programs or tax benefits, or of a change in our business;
and other factors discussed in this press release and in our Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the first quarter of 2021 and in our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2020, including in the sections captioned "Risk Factors” and “Forward Looking Statements.” Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date on which they are made, and we assume no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements or other information contained herein, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. You are cautioned not to put undue reliance on these forward-looking statements.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
Kevin C. Mannix (215) 591-8912
Yael Ashman 972 (3) 914-8262
Grace Ann Arnold (201) 739-2064
Yonatan Beker 972 (54) 888 5898
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Adagio Therapeutics Partners with Biocon Biologics to Bring Potent and Broadly Neutralizing COVID-19 Antibody Treatment to Patients in India and Select Emerging Markets26.7.2021 22:05:00 CEST | Press release
Adagio Therapeutics, Inc., a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery, development and commercialization of antibody-based solutions for infectious diseases with pandemic potential, today announced a partnership agreement with Biocon Biologics Ltd., to combat the ongoing COVID-19 crisis in southern Asia. Biocon Biologics Ltd. is a fully integrated biosimilars company and a subsidiary of Biocon Ltd., a global biopharmaceuticals company, (BSE code: 532523, NSE: BIOCON). Under the terms of the agreement, Adagio will provide Biocon with materials and know-how to manufacture and commercialize an antibody treatment based on ADG20 in India and additional select emerging markets. ADG20, Adagio’s lead product candidate, is designed to be a potent, long-acting and broadly neutralizing antibody for both the treatment and prevention of COVID-19 as either a single or combination agent. Unlike other antibody-based therapies specifically targeting SARS-CoV-2, ADG20 has demons
SpeeDx Launch Solution for SARS-CoV-2 Variant Analysis26.7.2021 18:40:00 CEST | Press release
SpeeDx Pty. Ltd., a developer of innovative molecular diagnostic solutions, have launched a new product line of research reagents to support reflex variant analysis for circulating SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern (VOC). The rapid development of PlexPrime® SARS-CoV-2 Genotyping* tests will support investigations and monitoring of the range of emerging and circulating SARS-CoV-2 VOC that have been linked to increased transmissibility, reduced vaccine efficacy, or other characteristics that may require specific public health actions.1 This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210726005313/en/ SpeeDx unique technology excels in mutation detection applications and can readily be applied to variants reported in the SARS-CoV-2 sequence databases. Compatible with standard qPCR instrumentation, the PlexPrime® SARS-CoV-2 Genotyping research reagents can reduce the manual process of preparing positive samples for sequence analysis
V-Square Appoints Erik Norland as Head of Distribution26.7.2021 17:00:00 CEST | Press release
V-Square Quantitative Management (V-Square) has announced the hiring of Erik Norland as its Head of Distribution. A 20-year industry veteran with asset management, custody, and global markets expertise, Erik’s addition to the team bolsters our strong client-centric approach to deliver customized ESG solutions as we continue to build our reputation as a specialized global asset manager. He will lead the firm's sales, consultant relationship and client service functions across institutional, insurance and wholesale. Mr. Norland, based in Stockholm, will report to Mamadou-Abou Sarr, co-founder and President and will join the global leadership team. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210726005571/en/ Erik Norland, Head of Distribution (Photo: Business Wire) "Erik is a results-focused leader who brings excellent experience in distribution strategy and execution, sales management and client relationship roles. I had th
Private and Public Sector Join Forces Under the Umbrella of the kENUP Foundation: BioNTech Announces Project to Develop the First mRNA-Based Prophylactic Malaria vaccine, and the set-up of Manufacturing Infrastructures in Africa26.7.2021 16:10:00 CEST | Press release
Today, BioNTech SE (“BioNTech”) announced the start of its Malaria project which aims at the development of a safe and highly effective malaria vaccine and the implementation of sustainable vaccine supply solutions on the African continent. The company’s project is part of a programme by the kENUP Foundation to accelerating the eradication of Malaria. This goal was out of reach so far, despite enormous financial and public health efforts of the global community. The scientific and entrepreneurial progress made during the COVID-19 pandemic raise hopes that a highly efficacious vaccine could soon help to eradicate Malaria. BioNTech aims to develop a safe and highly effective mRNA vaccine with durable protective immunity for prevention of malaria and disease associated mortality. To this end, BioNTech will assess multiple vaccine candidates featuring known Malaria targets such as the circumsporozoite protein (CSP), as well as new antigens discovered in the pre-clinical research phase. The
PPG to Expand Production Capacity for PPG ISENSE Gloss Beverage Can Coatings at Delaware, Ohio, Plant26.7.2021 15:02:00 CEST | Press release
PPG (NYSE:PPG) today announced that it is currently adding capacity for the production of overvarnish coatings for beverage can exteriors, including PPG ISENSE™ Gloss coatings, at its Delaware, Ohio, plant. PPG expects the addition of the Delaware plant’s new volume to existing overvarnish capacity at its Oak Creek, Wisconsin, packaging coatings facility will increase the company’s overall production of overvarnish coatings in the U.S. by 40%. “Beverage can manufacturers around the world are facing unprecedented demand for their products,” said Todd White, PPG general manager, U.S. and Canada, and global strategic accounts, packaging coatings. “With this added capacity, we are committed to helping them meet that demand while adding more security to their supply chain for beverage can coatings.” In addition to increasing supply chain security for its customers and the packaging industry, the Delaware plant will provide in-line analytical capabilities for enhanced batch consistency. “PPG
NET ZERO Leaders Summit (Japan Business Conference 2021) - Online Event From Wednesday, July 28 : Latest Information26.7.2021 15:00:00 CEST | Press release
Japan’s Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and the Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) are pleased to announce the jointly organized “NET ZERO Leaders Summit (Japan Business Conference 2021)” to accelerate innovation in green investment and the realization of carbon neutrality. The event will take place from Wednesday, July 28, and will be held online. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210726005389/en/ Entrance_Lobby_Image (Graphic: Business Wire) Main Program In the main program, panel discussions will be held between 15 leaders of global companies and organizations. In addition, Mr. SASAKI Nobuhiko, Chairman and CEO of the Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO), will present the opening remarks, Mr. TOKURA Masakazu, Chairman of KEIDANREN (Japan Business Federation), will present the keynote speech and Prime Minister SUGA Yoshihide and Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry KAJIYAMA Hirosh
ADM Accelerates Growth of Leading Global Alternative Protein Platform with Planned Acquisition of Sojaprotein26.7.2021 14:05:00 CEST | Press release
Global nutrition leader ADM (NYSE: ADM) announced today that it has reached an agreement to acquire Sojaprotein, a leading European provider of non-GMO soy ingredients. Established in 1977, Serbia-based Sojaprotein has sales into 65 countries, offering a wide array of non-GMO vegetable protein ingredients for an extensive list of European and global customers in the meat alternative, confectionary, protein bar, pharmaceutical, pet food, and animal feed segments. The company had more than $100 million in sales in 2020. “Thirty years ago, ADM invented the soy vegetable burger, giving rise to the plant-based protein segment. Today, alternative proteins represents one of our core growth platforms, and as this $10 billion global industry grows to $30 billion over the next decade, we are investing to expand our unparalleled capabilities,” said Leticia Gonçalves, ADM’s president of Global Foods. “The addition of Sojaprotein – the largest producer of plant-based protein in southern Europe – ad