Philip Morris International Announces Unconditional Offer for Vectura Group PLC
PMI Global Services Inc. (PMI) (NYSE: PM) today announced that its offer for Vectura Group plc (Vectura) (LSE: VEC) has become unconditional, having received valid acceptances for or acquired 74.77 % of Vectura shares, in excess of the 50% required under the acceptance condition, as well as confirming that all other conditions to the offer have been satisfied or waived. PMI has extended the offer to allow for the tender of further shares.
“We have reached an important milestone in our acquisition of Vectura and are pleased to have secured over 74% of the company’s shares, in excess of the 50% required to make our offer unconditional and PMI the majority shareholder," said PMI’s Chief Executive Officer, Jacek Olczak. "We are very excited about the critical role Vectura will play in our Beyond Nicotine strategy and look forward to working with Vectura’s scientists and providing them with the resources and expertise to grow their business to help us achieve our goal of generating at least $1 billion in net revenues from Beyond Nicotine products by 2025.”
PMI’s proposed acquisition of Vectura is part of its long-term strategy to move Beyond Nicotine and will provide support for Vectura’s continued growth.
- PMI will build on its leading scientific capabilities to develop products and services that go Beyond Nicotine. PMI aims to achieve at least $1 billion in annual net revenues from Beyond Nicotine sources by 2025.
- PMI’s business model and strategy are driven by a long-term commitment to the transformation of its business. Since 2008, PMI has invested $8.1 billion in the research, development, and commercialization of new smoke-free products for adults who would otherwise continue to smoke. PMI’s track record of investing in innovation exemplifies its commitment to invest the time and resources it takes to allow for scientific innovation of better products. In its Statement of Purpose released in 2020, PMI reaffirmed its commitment to transformation and serving stakeholders.
- PMI's commitment to transform itself requires an evolution into adjacent business areas while applying its significant expertise in inhalation science to address unmet medical and consumer needs by delivering medical and wellness products that improve people's lives. This is a change that, like for so many other companies, reflects the need to transform to address the impacts of business on society and to move towards a net positive future, taking ESG as a key input into a sustainable strategy.
- PMI’s Beyond Nicotine strategy is built on two key growth areas: (1) inhaled therapeutics, where it has already committed resources to its development pipeline of inhaled over-the-counter and prescription drugs; and (2) developing and commercializing scientifically substantiated consumer health products and solutions that improve people’s lives in areas like energy, sleep, calm, and focus.
- PMI has the resources, commitment, and patience to advance Vectura’s existing strategy, further it geographically, and extend into the development of proprietary inhaled therapeutic products, alongside the existing contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO) business. The market for inhaled therapeutics is growing rapidly, with significant potential to expand into new application areas beyond the current market offering. With PMI’s support, Vectura is well-positioned to address this market growth.
- PMI intends to ensure Vectura remains a trusted partner in the pharmaceutical industry for the development of inhaled therapeutic products, providing the best possible treatments for providers, prescribers, and their patients. PMI strongly supports and is aligned with Vectura’s strategy of delivering drugs through inhalation using innovative technologies that can effectively address many of today’s unmet medical needs recognizing that the inhalation mode of administration allows for fast systemic absorption, potential fast onset of effect, and a better safety profile due to the lower dose needed compared to the standard of care today.
- PMI intends to increase the total level of expenditure on research and development and believes that this will further benefit Vectura’s differentiated technologies and development expertise for the delivery of complex inhaled therapeutics, helping to bring the initial pipeline of Beyond Nicotine concepts that PMI has developed or acquired to market. This will exemplify PMI’s strategy and give increased confidence in its transformation to the scientific community and to the public. Beyond supporting Vectura’s growth, PMI believes these investments will support the scientific ecosystem in the U.K. for the longer term, in line with the U.K.’s life sciences strategy and in keeping with the U.K.’s position as a major scientific innovator.
- Operating Vectura as an autonomous business unit forming the backbone of its inhaled therapeutics business, PMI believes Vectura will have the opportunity and tools to undertake the end-to-end development of inhalable drug-device combinations and will provide access to PMI’s capabilities in areas such as pre-clinical safety, clinical development, regulatory affairs, drug safety, market access, and global reach.
- We look forward to working with Vectura’s scientists to establish a governance structure that supports its ongoing scientific efforts.
Vectura is a provider of innovative inhaled drug delivery solutions that enable partners to bring their medicines to patients. The company has 13 key inhaled products and 11 non-inhaled products marketed by major global pharmaceutical partners, as well as a diverse portfolio of partnerships for drugs in clinical development. In 2020, Vectura generated net revenues of GBP 191 million (approximately $245 million). The transaction value represents a multiple of around 15 times Vectura’s 2020 EBITDA.
PMI expects the impact of the acquisition on its full-year 2021 adjusted diluted EPS to be immaterial.
Forward-Looking and Cautionary Statements
Statements in this press release that are not strictly historical, including statements regarding the acquisition of Vectura, the expected timetable for completing the transaction, future financial and operating results, benefits and synergies of the transaction, future opportunities for the combined businesses, and any other statements regarding events or developments that we believe or anticipate will or may occur in the future, may be “forward- looking” statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, and involve a number of risks and uncertainties.
There are a number of important factors that could cause actual events to differ materially from those suggested or indicated by such forward-looking statements, and you should not place undue reliance on any such forward-looking statements. These factors include risks and uncertainties related to, among other things: (1) the possibility that the integration of Vectura and its operations with those of PMI may be more difficult and/or take longer than anticipated, and may not accelerate PMI’s desired entry into additional smoke-free and Beyond Nicotine platforms as quickly as anticipated; (2) the possibility that Vectura’s integration into PMI may be more costly than anticipated and may have unanticipated adverse results relating to Vectura or PMI’s existing businesses; (3) the inability to consummate the acquisition in a timely manner; (4) the inability to complete the acquisition of 100% of the shares in Vectura; (5) the inability to gain access to differentiated proprietary technology and pharmaceutical development expertise as anticipated by the acquisition of Vectura; (6) the effect of the announcement of PMI’s acquisition of Vectura on PMI’s, Vectura’s, or the combined company’s respective business relationships, operating results, and business generally; (7) risks associated with third-party contracts containing consent and/or other provisions that may be triggered by the proposed acquisition; (8) negative effects of the announcement or the consummation of the acquisition on the market price of PMI’s common stock; (9) the ability of PMI to hire and/or retain key personnel of Vectura; and (10) other factors that may affect future results of the combined company described in the section entitled “Risk Factors” in PMI’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2020, PMI’s Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2021, and other filings of PMI with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The forward-looking statements made herein speak only as of the date hereof, and PMI does not assume any obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events and developments, or otherwise, except as required by law.
Philip Morris International: Delivering a Smoke-Free Future
Philip Morris International (PMI) is leading a transformation in the tobacco industry to create a smoke-free future and ultimately replace cigarettes with smoke-free products to the benefit of adults who would otherwise continue to smoke, society, the company, its shareholders and its other stakeholders. PMI is a leading international tobacco company engaged in the manufacture and sale of cigarettes, as well as smoke-free products, associated electronic devices and accessories, and other nicotine-containing products in markets outside the U.S. In addition, PMI ships versions of its IQOS Platform 1 device and consumables to Altria Group, Inc. for sale under license in the U.S., where these products have received marketing authorizations from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) under the premarket tobacco product application (PMTA) pathway; the FDA has also authorized the marketing of a version of IQOS and its consumables as a Modified Risk Tobacco Product (MRTP), finding that an exposure modification order for these products is appropriate to promote the public health. PMI is building a future on a new category of smoke-free products that, while not risk-free, are a much better choice than continuing to smoke. Through multidisciplinary capabilities in product development, state-of-the-art facilities and scientific substantiation, PMI aims to ensure that its smoke-free products meet adult consumer preferences and rigorous regulatory requirements. PMI’s smoke-free product portfolio includes heat-not-burn and nicotine-containing vapor products. As of June 30, 2021, PMI’s smoke-free products are available for sale in 67 markets in key cities or nationwide, and PMI estimates that approximately 14.7 million adults around the world have already switched to IQOS and stopped smoking. For more information, please visit www.pmi.com and www.pmiscience.com.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
Philip Morris International
Philip Morris International
T. +41 (0)79 843 8603
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Amedeo and AURA AERO Announce a Strategic Partnership Agreement and a Letter of Intent to Purchase 200 Electric Regional Aircraft (“ERA”)19.10.2021 19:21:00 CEST | Press release
AURA AERO has created a clean sheet design while integrating new technologies, as well as existing technologies such as fly by wire, and is driving digital efficiencies to build revolutionary momentum in creating an electrical aircraft. With its current prototype aircraft, INTEGRAL, AURA AERO is achieving design and production maturity at a fraction of the cost and will carry that to the commercially sized 19- seater, Electric Regional Aircraft named ‘ERA’. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211019006068/en/ “Amedeo are delighted to have signed an LOI for 200 Electric Regional Aircraft ‘ERA,’ that draws the commercial aviation industry closer to achieving its goal of net-zero by 2050. We are very pleased to be partnered with AURA AERO in leading such an important climate supporting initiative for the future. For Amedeo, sustainable aviation is more than aspirational and we are committed and focused on partnership
JAB and BNP Paribas Cardif Announce Strategic Pet Healthcare Alliance19.10.2021 18:37:00 CEST | Press release
JAB and insurer BNP Paribas Cardif today announced a strategic alliance to deliver a range of pet insurance services throughout the UK, EMEA and Latin America, with a vision to offer additional pet healthcare services over time. As part of the agreement, JAB will hold a majority stake in a new holding company to which BNP Paribas Cardif will contribute Cardif Pinnacle, its subsidiary focused on the rapidly growing pet insurance sector. BNP Paribas Cardif will remain significantly involved in the pet healthcare activity, supporting the development of this alliance through a continued stake in the business. The transaction is expected to close in Q2 2022, subject to customary closing conditions, including applicable regulatory approvals. Cardif Pinnacle has built a leading pet insurance business providing solutions to partners and pet owners based on innovation and a scalable platform. The Company’s business proposition leverages digital services, artificial intelligence and continuous i
Leading South Korean Furniture Manufacturer Empowered to Focus on IT Modernization Goals After Switching to Rimini Street Support19.10.2021 18:00:00 CEST | Press release
Rimini Street, Inc. (Nasdaq: RMNI), a global provider of enterprise software products and services, the leading third-party support provider for Oracle and SAP software products and a Salesforce partner, today announced that ENEX, a leading furniture manufacturer in South Korea, has switched to Rimini Street Support for its mission-critical SAP system. As a result of switching support providers, ENEX was able to immediately reduce its annual support fees and redirect its internal IT personnel to focus on higher value business initiatives, including plans to update and modernize its IT infrastructure. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211019005188/en/ Leading South Korean Furniture Manufacturer Empowered to Focus on IT Modernization Goals After Switching to Rimini Street Support (Photo: Business Wire) Switching to Ultra-Responsive Support and Maintenance Helps Drive Digital Transformation Founded in 1971, ENEX is
ElectReon and Gotland Partners Announce First Fully Operational Electric Bus Utilizing Wireless Electric Road System in Sweden19.10.2021 17:38:00 CEST | Press release
ElectReon (TASE: ELWS.TA), the leading provider of in-road wireless electric vehicle charging technology for commercial, public service, and passenger vehicles, announced today the successful launch of the first fully operational bus utilizing the company’s wireless charging infrastructure in the city of Visby in Gotland, Sweden. Implemented by a consortium of partners, the Smartroad Gotland project began operations in early 2020 and is one of four Electric Road demonstration projects currently being funded by the Swedish Transport Administration, Trafikverket. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211019005925/en/ The Smartroad Gotland project is the first fully operational bus utilizing wireless charging infrastructure in the city of Visby in Gotland, Sweden. (Photo: Business Wire) Having supported Electric Road Systems (“ERS”) R&D programs for over a decade, Sweden is a pioneer in pursuing multiple ERS demonstrat
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Elevates Multinational Capabilities, Creating Global Network Across 170 Countries19.10.2021 15:30:00 CEST | Press release
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) today announced that it has expanded its global network to encompass owned offices and network partners that can provide BHSI customers with locally admitted insurance policies in 170 countries worldwide. “We are very pleased to welcome so many outstanding partners around the globe to the BHSI family,” said David Valzania, Head of Multinational, BHSI. “Each of these carriers share BHSI’s values, and align with our product offerings, focus on excellent customer service, and commitment to the CLAIMS IS OUR PRODUCT® philosophy.” BHSI undertook a rigorous search, evaluation and due diligence process to select the carrier partners best suited to represent the Berkshire Hathaway brand and our customers. Policies issued by network partners receive the backing of BHSI’s financial strength. “Our multinational capabilities have been growing rapidly. With our expanded network, we look forward to providing consistently world-class products and services
Andersen Global Continues Asia Expansion with One of Indonesia’s Largest Tax Firms19.10.2021 15:30:00 CEST | Press release
Andersen Global enters the Indonesian market with collaborating firm Soewito, Fajar & Partners, operating as TaxPrime, one of the largest tax firms in the country. TaxPrime was founded in 2012 by Senior Partner Soewito and Managing Partner Muhamad Fajar Putranto, who previously served as tax officers for Indonesia’s Directorate General of Taxes (DGT). With three offices, the Jakarta-based firm operates with nine Partners, three Senior Advisors and more than 170 professionals, focusing on multinational companies with full-service capabilities in tax and customs compliance, tax and customs advisory, transfer pricing, tax and customs dispute resolution, international tax and structuring transactions. “Our firm is committed to delivering best-in-class service, and we constantly aim to expand our expertise,” Fajar said. “Our collaboration with Andersen Global emphasizes our commitment to serving clients with global operations in a seamless manner, and we look forward to working with the lik
JAB Expands Pet Insurance Platform Through Acquisition of Figo Pet Insurance19.10.2021 15:00:00 CEST | Press release
JAB is pleased to announce that Independence Pet Holdings (formerly Iguana Capital), JAB’s U.S. pet insurance platform, has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Figo, one of the leading U.S. providers of pet insurance. As part of the agreement, the shareholders of Figo will roll a portion of their proceeds into PetPartners, the consumer-facing portion of JAB’s pet insurance platform. The acquisition is expected to close by the end of the year. Since its founding in 2015, Figo has quickly established a strong pet insurance brand and leading InsurTech position in the United States. Its modern pet insurance experience includes a simple, easy-to-follow consumer journey coupled with its Pet Cloud app, a cloud-based platform that provides 24/7 access to live veterinarians, customer support, claims processing, digital pet record management, and a social network for pet parents, all of which has driven impressive company growth, earning Figo the title of “Top InsurTech Leader” by A.M