Mary Kay Inc. Releases 2020-21 Sustainability & Social Impact Strategic Summary Report Highlighting Global Sustainability and Social Impact Goals Through 2030
Mary Kay Inc., a global advocate for corporate social responsibility, today released its sustainability strategy Enriching Lives Today for a Sustainable Tomorrow and its 2020-21 Sustainability & Social Impact Strategic Summary Report.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210913005253/en/
Enriching Lives Today For A Sustainable Tomorrow logo (Graphic: Mary Kay Inc.)
“It’s about more than us—it always has been,” said Deborah Gibbins, Chief Operating Officer at Mary Kay Inc. “The cosmetics and personal care industries are in transition as companies evolve to meet the growing demands for environmentally conscious, transparent operations and cleaner, ethically sourced products. Mary Kay believes in and supports this evolution.”
Enriching Lives Today for a Sustainable Tomorrow extends Mary Kay’s vision to 2030 and beyond. It builds a picture of what good “looks like” for Mary Kay, Independent Beauty Consultants, customers and—most importantly—the planet. Enriching Lives Today for a Sustainable Tomorrow was developed with Mary Kay’s key stakeholders and is aligned with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals, making Mary Kay a key part of a global coalition to ensure a better future.
“While there have been meaningful initiatives implemented throughout the industry—and within Mary Kay itself—so much work remains to find long-term solutions to the environmental and socio-economic challenges ahead,” added Gibbins. “For nearly 60 years, Mary Kay has strived to enrich women’s lives, advance the field of skin health, and create positive community impact around the world. We’re thrilled to take the next important step on our journey.”
Sustainability Report Highlights Includes:
- Mary Kay announces its global sustainability strategy: Enriching Lives Today for a Sustainable Tomorrow. Our holistic approach encompasses three pillars of sustainability—economic, environmental and social—through five pillars, activated by 15 commitments to deliver a decade of sustainable action.
- Mary Kay will contribute to 15 of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) defined by the United Nations and has undertaken its priorities and commitments in the context of leading global mandates including: the Ten Principles of the United Nations Global Compact, the seven Women’s Empowerment Principles, the CEO Water Mandate, and the Sustainable Ocean Principles.
- Key Commitment Targets to Achieve by 2030:
- Reduce by 30%: plastic intensity, carbon (Scopes 1 and 2) and water utilization.
- Empower 5 million women worldwide through entrepreneurship skills development.
- Provide support to over 10 million survivors of gender-based and domestic violence worldwide.
In 2020 and the first half of 2021, Mary Kay continued to build on its legacy of sustainability and advocacy. Below are some of the notable highlights.
- 100% of U.S.-based Directors and above completed mandatory Unconscious Bias training.
- Gender Diversity in the Workplace: 54% of Mary Kay’s global executive team is female; 61% of Mary Kay’s global workforce is female; and 54% of Global Vice Presidents and above are female; 59% of Directors and above are female (March 2021).
- Conducted a third-party Business Verification and Diversity Data Report to inform our current supply chain involving Women, Minority or Veteran Owned businesses: As of February 2021 (USA only supply chain data): 12% of Mary Kay’s Indirect Suppliers are Women, Minority or Veteran Owned; 5% of Mary Kay’s Direct Suppliers are Women, Minority or Veteran Owned.
- In our global product portfolio, we currently offer more than 80 different foundations—in a broad range of shades and finishes—to best match the beautiful spectrum of diversity for skin tones.
- 77% of the artists contributing to our global marketing campaigns were women-owned businesses (photographers, directors, designers, makeup artists, hair stylists, producers, etc.).
- Became a member of the Sustainable Packaging Initiative for Cosmetics (SPICE). The mission of SPICE is to drive the future of sustainable packaging for cosmetics to make significant progress in three key areas: guide sustainable packaging policy, drive packaging innovation, and provide consumers transparency.
- Joined the Ellen MacArthur Foundation as a member of its Network, as part of its commitment to becoming a more sustainable, circular business.
- The Mary Kay world headquarters, global manufacturing facility, and global distribution and automated storage & retrieval system (ASRS), all located in Texas, U.S.A., are powered by 100 percent renewable energy.
- A detailed baseline analysis was initiated in 2019 and continued in 2020, to determine our carbon footprint. From the first phase of the analysis, a goal of a 30% reduction of total greenhouse gases (GHG) for Scopes 1 & 2 was implemented as a sustainability target. In 2021, phase two consisting of a baseline analysis of GHG for Scope 3, was initiated with a target to develop a goal by first quarter of 2022.
- A founding member of two global initiatives in collaboration with the Arbor Day Foundation: Evergreen Alliance and Time for Trees Initiative; and is a member of the Trillion Tree Initiative.
- Became a signatory to two crucial causes in protecting our world’s waterways: the CEO Water Mandate and the United Nations Global Compact’s Sustainable Ocean Principles.
- Became an Action Coalition Commitment Maker on four Generation Equality Action Coalitions: Gender-Based Violence; Economic Justice and Rights; Feminist Action for Climate Justice; and Technology and Innovation for Gender Equality (2021-2026)
- Launched the Women’s Entrepreneurship Accelerator in 2019, a global initiative to bring entrepreneurship through education and empower women entrepreneurs through four Pathways of Empowerment: Education, Funding, Advocacy, and Participation, serving as an entrepreneurship accelerator for all women, everywhere.
- Supported the UN Global Compact to develop a small and mid-size enterprises (SMEs) toolkit for the Women’s Empowerment Principles from UN Women to its 6,000 SMEs membership and general use for companies around the world to support women’s equality.
Global Social Impact & Local Community
- The Mary Kay Ash Foundation had nearly 40 innovative cancer research and clinical trials projects and researchers in its pipeline; 42% of the innovative cancer research projects are led by women, while 100 percent of the clinical trials are women-led.
- Mary Kay Inc. and the Mary Kay Ash Foundation supported 667 organizations committed to the life-saving work of organizations advocating for eradicating gender-based violence and funding women’s shelters providing critical support services, reaching over 2 million women and girls through 786 unique projects in over 138 different countries.
- Since 2008, Mary Kay’s global Pink Changing Lives cause empowerment program has impacted more than six million women and their families by partnering with over 3,000 organizations around the world, donating over $16 million. In 2020, over $775,000 was donated to organizations around the world.
Enriching Lives Today for a Sustainable Tomorrow
Five Pillars and 15 Commitments Overview
- Our People: Cultivate EMPLOYEE ENGAGEMENT by living our company values and nurturing our corporate culture.
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion: Understand through KNOWLEDGE, demand ACTION, ensure sustainable, long-lasting CHANGE
- Transparency & Advocacy: Lead through TRANSPARENCY and support through ADVOCACY
- Plastics & Packaging: REDUCE plastic intensity by 30%
- Recycling & Circular Economy: 90% of paper packaging made from RECYCLED CONTENT
- Sustainable Sourcing: MINIMIZE our environmental impact, support small businesses, and nurture community benefits.
- Carbon: REDUCE carbon (Scopes 1 and 2) by 30%
- Water: REDUCE water utilization by 30%
- Operational Waste: DIVERT 60% of operational waste from landfill
- Equality: DEVELOP a 10-year policy agenda to address women’s rights issues
- Economic Empowerment: EMPOWER 5 million women worldwide
- Education: ACCESS to education for 250,000 girls and women globally
- Cancer Research: FUND over 400,000 research hours
- Gender Based Violence: SUPPORT over 10 million women worldwide with support services
- Global Social Impact & Community Support: COLLABORATE for change with over 500 organizations
About Mary Kay
One of the original glass ceiling breakers, Mary Kay Ash founded her beauty company 58 years ago with three goals: develop rewarding opportunities for women, offer irresistible products, and make the world a better place. That dream has blossomed into a multibillion-dollar company with millions of independent sales force members in nearly 40 countries. Mary Kay is dedicated to investing in the science behind beauty and manufacturing cutting-edge skin care, color cosmetics, and fragrances. Mary Kay is committed to empowering women and their families by partnering with organizations from around the world, focusing on supporting cancer research, protecting survivors from domestic abuse, beautifying our communities, and encouraging children to follow their dreams. Mary Kay Ash’s original vision continues to shine—one lipstick at a time. Learn more at MaryKayGlobal.com.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
Mary Kay Inc. Corporate Communications
(+1) 972.687.5332 or firstname.lastname@example.org
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Pencil Lab Inks Debut in ADIHEX 202125.9.2021 12:04:00 CEST | Press release
The 18th edition of the Abu Dhabi International Hunting and Equestrian Exhibition (ADIHEX) on September 27 - October 3 marks an opportune platform for Pencil Lab Design Studio’s first major participation in the massive event, the largest of its kind in the Middle East and Africa. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210925005016/en/ Pencil Lab Inks Debut in ADIHEX 2021 (Photo: AETOSWire) Featuring more than 800 brands and companies, the event is held under the theme of ‘Sustainability and Heritage… A Reborn Aspiration’, highlighting heritage, culture and authentic sports and their strong relation with Arab history. As part of its inaugural participation in a major exhibition as a company, Pencil Lab, a UAE initiative, will showcase their artworks with three large oil paintings by Pencil Lab’s citizen artist, to highlight the strong connection of arts, like painting and photography, to Arab history and civilization.
DXC Technology Completes Refinancing Actions24.9.2021 22:30:00 CEST | Press release
DXC Technology Company (NYSE: DXC) (“DXC”) today announced the completion of its refinancing. DXC previously completed the offering of €1.35 billion Senior Notes priced on September 2, 2021 and $1.35 billion Senior Notes priced on September 7, 2021. DXC completed redemption of $2.5 billion principal of (i) EUR term loan in the amount of €400 million due FY23 and FY24, (ii) $500 million 4.25% Senior notes due FY25, (iii) £250 million 2.75% Senior notes due FY25, (iv) $467 million 4.125% Senior notes due FY26, (v) $500 million 4.75% Senior notes due FY28, and (vi) $234 million Senior notes due FY30. The applicable make whole premium for these redemptions was $300 million and accrued and unpaid interest was $40 million. Ken Sharp, Chief Financial Officer, DXC commented: “Our opportunistic debt refinancing of $2.5 billion of our high coupon debt further solidifies our financial foundation by extending our debt maturities, lowering our maturity towers and reducing our ongoing interest expen
Schlumberger Announces Third-Quarter 2021 Results Conference Call24.9.2021 16:00:00 CEST | Press release
Schlumberger Limited (NYSE:SLB) will hold a conference call on October 22, 2021 to discuss the results for the third quarter ending September 30, 2021. The conference call is scheduled to begin at 9:30 am US Eastern time and a press release regarding the results will be issued at 7:00 am US Eastern time. To access the conference call, listeners should contact the Conference Call Operator at +1 (844) 721-7241 within North America or +1 (409) 207-6955 outside of North America approximately 10 minutes prior to the start of the call and the access code is 8858313. A webcast of the conference call will be broadcast simultaneously at www.slb.com/irwebcast on a listen-only basis. Listeners should log in 15 minutes prior to the start of the call to test their browsers and register for the webcast. Following the end of the conference call, a replay will be available at www.slb.com/irwebcast until November 22, 2021, and can be accessed by dialing +1 (866) 207-1041 within North America or +1 (402
Tradeweb Successfully Completes its First Southbound Bond Connect Transactions24.9.2021 14:07:00 CEST | Press release
Tradeweb Markets Inc. (Nasdaq: TW), a leading global operator of electronic marketplaces for rates, credit, equities and money markets, today announced it has completed its first Southbound Bond Connect transactions via the trading link between Tradeweb and China Foreign Exchange Trade System (CFETS). “Southbound Bond Connect is the latest evolutionary step for China’s financial market, providing domestic investors with more flexibility and choice when trading offshore bonds,” said Lee Olesky, CEO of Tradeweb Markets. “Together with CFETS, our goal is to better meet onshore investors’ demand for streamlined access to global investment. We will continue to focus on further enhancing the trading link by deploying new innovative trading functionality, just as we did with the Northbound leg of Bond Connect.” Southbound Bond Connect facilitates fixed income portfolio diversification for institutional investors in China. Tradeweb collaborates closely with CFETS to create a uniform trading ex
H.I.G. Capital Acquires Aspire Pharma24.9.2021 14:05:00 CEST | Press release
H.I.G. Capital, LLC (“H.I.G.”), a leading global alternative investment firm with $45 billion of equity capital under management, is pleased to announce that one of its affiliates has acquired Aspire Pharma Limited (“Aspire” or the “Company”), a leading UK provider of niche generic and branded specialty pharmaceuticals, alongside its founder Graham Fraser-Pye. The financial terms of the transaction have not been disclosed. Aspire licenses and develops niche generic and specialty pharmaceutical products that offer innovative formulations, value for money for payors, and reliable supply arrangements in markets that are often underserved. The business holds leadership positions in urology, ophthalmology, CNS and dermatology, with a highly diversified portfolio of more than 250 products across multiple categories, including branded specialty products and unbranded niche generics. H.I.G., together with the management team, aims to continue Aspire’s strong track record of organic growth and
Swappable Announces Partnership with Esports T1's Dota 2 Team24.9.2021 13:34:00 CEST | Press release
Swappable, an NFT (Non-Fungible Token) interface for high-profile and exclusive digital collectibles, has announced its partnership with T1's Dota 2 team, the popular esports team for the upcoming International 10 - Dota 2 World Championship in Bucharest, Romania. T1 is not just an esports team but a pop culture phenomenon with millions of fans worldwide. The team embodies a blend of lifestyle, creativity and attitude, fresh from the source of Seoul & LA. As part of the collaboration, T1 will auction their first-ever NFTs (digital collectibles) on Swappable for T1’s Genesis Collection. With the first auction starting Friday September 24th, T1 will release a series of NFTs each possessing utility features such as special access to T1's Dota 2 team players and more. Visit Swappable for more information. “We are excited to partner with a leading organization in the esports industry. It is also a chance for T1 fans to pick the very first digital collectibles ever created by this legendary
SAB Biotherapeutics Announces SAB-185 Receives Positive DSMB Review and Advances to Phase 3 in NIH-Sponsored ACTIV-2 Trial for Treatment of COVID-1924.9.2021 13:00:00 CEST | Press release
SAB Biotherapeutics (SAB), a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company with a novel immunotherapy platform that produces specifically targeted, high-potency, fully-human polyclonal antibodies without the need for human donors, today announced that an independent Data Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB) has completed its prespecified interim analysis data review of the safety and efficacy of SAB-185 in the Phase 2 portion of the ACTIV-2 trial and has recommended advancement to Phase 3. SAB-185 is a fully-human, specifically-targeted, broadly-neutralizing polyclonal antibody therapeutic candidate for the treatment of non-hospitalized patients with mild to moderate COVID-19. It is being assessed in the ACTIV-2 trial funded and conducted by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the US National Institutes of Health (NIH) in collaboration with the AIDS Clinical Trials Group. SAB-185 is advancing to the Phase 3 trial based on meeting pre-defined graduation crite