Mary Kay Inc. Advocates for Advancing Women’s Economic Empowerment and Gender Equality Through Series of Milestone Commitments & Partnerships Around the World
Mary Kay Inc., a global advocate for women’s empowerment and entrepreneurship, has furthered its commitment to advancing gender parity by releasing a position paper welcoming the European Commission’s Gender Equality Strategy for 2020 – 2025 and by joining the Generation Equality Forum Global Action Coalitions.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210720005347/en/
This month, Mary Kay also joined the “Drivers of change” Program at the Generation Equality Forum in Paris, France (June 30 - July 2). (Graphic: Mary Kay Inc.)
The position paper, which can be accessed here, echoes the strategy of the European Union on gender equality. According to the European Union: “The Strategy presents policy objectives and actions to make significant progress by 2025 towards a gender-equal Europe. The goal is a Union where women and men, girls and boys, in all their diversity, are free to pursue their chosen path in life, have equal opportunities to thrive, and can equally participate in and lead our European society.”
“Discriminatory laws, gender bias and stereotyping, violence against women and girls - these are all global issues and must be tackled in partnership with the public and private sectors and civil society organizations across the world,” said Julia Simon, Chief Legal & Diversity Officer at Mary Kay. “Achieving gender equality is critical to the survival of the planet and the rebuilding of more sustainable and thriving economies and societies.”
This month, Mary Kay also joined the “Drivers of change” Program at the Generation Equality Forum in Paris, France (June 30 - July 2). 26 years after the Beijing Declaration, the Generation Equality Forum, convened by UN Women and co-hosted by the governments of Mexico and France, was the “most critical moment in a generation to invest in gender equality and accelerate momentum for women’s safety, leadership and economic opportunity1.”
Julia Simon participated to a panel titled “Building a Transformative Strategy for Gender-Responsive Procurement,” aiming at creating awareness of the disproportionately complex and interconnected barriers on women’s entrepreneurship and promoting gender-responsive procurement. Globally, 1 in 3 businesses are owned by women2, yet women win only 1% of the procurement spend of governments and large corporations3.Speakers shared insights and concrete advice substantiated by their own journey on how to implement a GRP strategy.
At the Paris Forum, Mary Kay also joined four of the Generation Equality Action Coalitions through policy, programmatic, and advocacy commitments: Economic Justice and Rights; Feminist Action for Climate Justice; Gender-based Violence and Innovation and Technology. 50,000 people virtually engaged in the Forum which gathered 1,000 commitment-makers, recorded $40 billion of investments for gender equality in support of a 5-year plan to act for equal across 6 areas of action.
These engagements are the latest of a series of Mary Kay’s advocacy efforts in support of women’s economic empowerment and gender equality at high level meetings around the world alongside its UN partners and local strategic partners.
- On March 16, 2021, Deborah Gibbins, Mary Kay’s COO, joined the UN Global Compact Target Gender Equality meeting to discuss how Mary Kay empowers women entrepreneurs in nearly 40 countries. Gibbins highlighted the data freshly released by the World Bank4 revealing that, on average across the world, women have three quarters the legal rights of men. She challenged companies to take a stand against legal discriminations and advocate for reforms to close the gaps so that women can achieve their full potential. The event brought together over 5,000 people from the business sector, the United Nations, member states, and civil society organizations from over 100 countries, with 75% of the participants representing the private sector.
- On March 24, 2021, on the sidelines of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW65), Gibbins participated in a panel hosted by the Women’s Empowerment Accelerator (WEA) titled “Women Leading Economic Recovery Through Entrepreneurship” where she highlighted the need for public-private sector partnerships to help shape an enabling ecosystem for women entrepreneurs. Incepted by Mary Kay in collaboration with 5 UN agencies, The Women’s Entrepreneurship Accelerator was featured as an example of the unique impact of multi-partnership to accelerate change.
- On March 26-April 4, Edita Szabóová, General Manager of Mary Kay Czech Republic and Slovakia, shared remarks at the Equal Pay Day Conference where she stressed the importance of “women supporting women,” and highlighted the work of Mary Kay in nurturing women entrepreneurs through training, leadership, and mentorship. “When women come together, we can achieve extraordinary things for the benefit of women and humanity at large. Because we know that if we lift one, we lift all. At its core, Mary Kay develops and trains entrepreneurs, who, in turn, get to build their own businesses and write their own stories and legacy for their daughters,” said Szabóová.
- On June 15-16, 2021, at the UN Global Compact Leaders Summit, Gibbins spoke at the “Women In Sustainability: Innovating In A Man’s World” main stage session advocating for women entrepreneurs as the role models needed for the economy and society. She also emphasized the critical mission of the Women’s Entrepreneurship Accelerator incepted by Mary Kay together with 5 UN agency partners: UN Women, the UN Global Compact, International Trade Centre, the International Labour Organization and the UN Development Programme. The Accelerator has committed to educating and empowering 5 million women entrepreneurs over the next 10 years. “Women entrepreneurship will play a key role in the successful pandemic recovery. This is why the mission of the Women’s Entrepreneurship Accelerator is so timely. And, this is why women entrepreneurs need a framework of this magnitude,” said Gibbins. The annual Summit convened virtually more than 25,000 leaders from business, government, the UN, and civil society, to take stock of the state of progress and to drive collective action towards alleviating climate crisis, global pandemic, economic disparities, and social inequalities.
- On July 6, in Ekaterinburg, Mary Kay joined the International Industrial Trade Fair INNOPROM-2021 the main industrial, trade and export platform in Russia. Guest speaker at a panel hosted by UN Women titled “UN Women Programs for the Promotion and Development of Gender-Based Entrepreneurship,” Mary Kay highlighted the critical importance of gender-responsive procurement strategies and emphasized that the pandemic also brings a unique opportunity to advance action and to support women’s businesses around the world.
About Mary Kay
One of the original glass ceiling breakers, Mary Kay Ash founded her beauty company almost 58 years ago with three goals: develop rewarding opportunities for women, offer irresistible products, and make the world a better place. That dream has blossomed into a multibillion-dollar company with millions of independent sales force members in nearly 40 countries. Mary Kay is dedicated to investing in the science behind beauty and manufacturing cutting-edge skin care, color cosmetics, nutritional supplements and fragrances. Mary Kay is committed to empowering women and their families by partnering with organizations from around the world, focusing on supporting cancer research, protecting survivors from domestic abuse, beautifying our communities, and encouraging children to follow their dreams. Mary Kay Ash’s original vision continues to shine—one lipstick at a time. Learn more at www.marykay.com
2 World Bank (2020). Enterprise Surveys, World Bank Gender Data Portal cited by World Bank Blogs (2020) Women entrepreneurs needed – stat!
3 Vazquez and Sherman (2014). Cited by UN Women (2017) The Power of Procurement: How to source from women-owned businesses.
4 Women, Business and the Law, 2021. A report conducted in 190 countries.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
Mary Kay Inc. Corporate Communications
(+1) 972.687.5332 or firstname.lastname@example.org
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Ipsen Strengthens Its Pre-clinical Oncology Pipeline With an Exclusive Worldwide-collaboration With BAKX Therapeutics Inc. for BKX-001, Targeting the Apoptosis Pathway27.7.2021 19:01:00 CEST | Press release
Regulatory News: Disclaimer: Intended for international media and investor audiences only Ipsen (Euronext: IPN; ADR: IPSEY) and BAKX Therapeutics Inc. have signed an exclusive worldwide-collaboration agreement to research, develop, manufacture and commercialize BKX-001 as a potential treatment for leukemia, lymphoma and solid tumors. Apoptosis is the naturally occurring process of programmed cell death. Deregulated apoptosis can lead to uncontrolled cell division and the development of a tumor.2 The apoptosis cell-signaling pathway has been proven to be a target for cancer therapy with the development and approval of BCL-2 inhibitors for the treatment of certain hematological malignancies.3 BAX is a novel target in this pathway that is downstream of all anti-apoptotic proteins like BCL-2, BCL-XL, MCL-1 etc.4 Direct activation of BAX has several possible outcomes as an investigational cancer therapy, potentially addressing multiple tumor types and the resistance encountered while target
Daikin Industries Becomes OCSiAl Shareholder27.7.2021 18:55:00 CEST | Press release
Japanese giant Daikin Industries, Ltd, has become a shareholder of the world’s largest producer of graphene nanotubes, OCSiAl, following three years of collaboration in developing graphene nanotube applications as a next-generation additive. Together, the companies are determined to develop high-performance materials and establish new markets. The signing of a share subscription agreement between Daikin Industries, a world-leading air conditioning company and a pioneer in fluorine technologies, and OCSiAl, the world’s largest producer of graphene nanotubes and related industrial solutions, was supported by prior joint developments and market evaluation. In accordance with the terms of the agreement, the valuation of OCSiAl is about USD $2 billion. Along with the subscription agreement, the two companies have signed a cooperation agreement to develop, produce, and market graphene nanotube solutions for next-generation Li-ion batteries and fluoropolymers, which comprise a substantial par
V.E, part of Moody’s ESG Solutions, provides Second Party Opinion on Colombia’s Sovereign Green Bond Framework and Inaugural Issuance27.7.2021 17:58:00 CEST | Press release
V.E, part of Moody’s ESG Solutions, published today a Second Party Opinion (SPO) on Colombia’s Sovereign Green Bond Framework and inaugural issuance. The SPO assesses four main components: the framework’s level of contribution to sustainability, its alignment with international standards, its coherence with Colombia’s strategic sustainability priorities, and Colombia’s environmental, social and governance (ESG) performance. “Proceeds from the green instruments issued under Colombia’s framework will provide a ‘robust’ contribution to sustainability, the second-highest level on our four-point scale,” said Adriana Cruz Felix, Head of Sustainable Finance Research at V.E. “The issuance will fund projects to protect biodiversity as well as build climate change resilience and adaptation, thereby reinforcing the capacity of Colombia’s institutions to address key environmental challenges.” In V.E’s opinion, the framework and portfolio of eligible expenditures are aligned with the four core comp
DYSIS Announces New Compact and Portable Colposcope Design with Computer-Aided Cervical Mapping27.7.2021 17:30:00 CEST | Press release
DYSIS Medical Inc. is excited to announce the launch of DYSIS® View, a compact and portable colposcope, which includes the company’s innovative computer-aided cervical mapping technology that helps healthcare professionals detect cervical lesions more clearly. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210727005846/en/ DYSIS View | Computer-Aided Colposcopy with Cervical Mapping (Photo: Business Wire) The DYSIS family of colposcopes include the novel DYSISmap, which is a color-coded summary of the acetowhitening effect of the patient’s cervix. Colors are allocated on the map depending on the acetowhitening changes measured by DYSIS during the examination. This data helps healthcare professionals improve biopsy selection. In the IMPROVE-COLPO study, when map-assisted biopsies were added to colposcopy exams, detection of patients with CIN2+ increased by 44%1. “We are thrilled to bring DYSIS View to market to complement our
Exchanger Industries Limited Acquires HRS Heat Exchangers27.7.2021 17:00:00 CEST | Press release
Exchanger Industries Limited (“EIL”), the Canadian market leader and globally recognized designer and manufacturer of heat transfer products for the energy, petrochemical, industrial and clean power generation sectors, has acquired HRS Heat Exchangers Ltd. ("HRS"). Financial terms were not disclosed. HRS is widely recognized as the pre-eminent, international specialist supplier of heat exchangers and custom process systems across the environmental, food, beverage, and pharmaceutical sectors. The seasoned HRS management team will be retained by EIL and play a critical role in executing plans for robust international expansion afforded by the strategic combination of two distinct, yet complementary industry leaders. “For decades, we’ve worked hard on behalf of our customers in Canada, the U.S. and 25 countries worldwide, consistently providing them with mission-critical, innovative solutions in some of the most demanding environments,” stated Mark el Baroudi, EIL’s CEO. “The HRS acquisit
Quanergy’s 3D LiDAR Helps Waste Incineration Plant Optimize Recycling Process and Reduce Environmental Impact in China27.7.2021 16:18:00 CEST | Press release
Quanergy Systems, Inc., a leading provider of OPA-based solid state LiDAR sensors and smart 3D solutions for automotive and IoT, today announced a new smart LiDAR deployment automating waste plant operations, to ensure process efficiency and minimize the environmental impact of a waste-to-energy incineration plant in China. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210727005789/en/ Quanergy’s 3D LiDAR Helps Waste Incineration Plant Optimize Recycling Process and Reduce Environmental Impact in China (Graphic: Business Wire) Deployed in collaboration with Hunan University, one of China’s top engineering research universities, and Hunan Qiaokang Bridge Health Intelligent Technology for Puxiang Bioenergy, Quanergy’s high accuracy M-Series 3D LiDAR sensors were applied to scan the surface of the waste piles at the incineration plant and create a 3D point cloud image, to accurately calculate the volume of the waste. The LiDAR
Andersen Global Enhances Gambian Foothold with Payce Consulting27.7.2021 15:30:00 CEST | Press release
Andersen Global continues its Africa expansion with the addition of collaborating firm Payce Consulting, adding dimension to the organization’s existing presence in The Gambia. Payce Consulting, founded in 2014 by Partner Paul Gaye, serves the public and private sectors at the local and international level including financial institutions, education, industrial and commerce, transportation, fish processing and export, hotel and leisure, seaport, energy, agriculture, information technology and government agencies. The tax and advisory firm provides corporate finance, business advisory, business structuring and insolvency, outsourcing, financial services and portfolio management services to clients. “Our client-focused approach, extensive industry knowledge and commitment to best-in-class service have allowed us to develop and maintain strong client relationships,” Paul said. “Our collaboration with Andersen Global is the next step for our firm as we look to provide our clients with the