Lenovo Group: Full Year Financial Results 2020/21
Lenovo Group (HKSE: 992) (PINK SHEETS: LNVGY) today announced record results for the Group for both its fourth quarter and fiscal year, with phenomenal growth across all parts of the business. The results demonstrate the Group’s resilience and ability to achieve balanced, consistent, and sustainable growth as it continues to diversify and transform in line with its 3S (Smart IoT, Smart Infrastructure, Smart Solutions) corporate strategy.
Fourth quarter Group revenue grew at 48% year-to-year to US$15.6 billion. Profit recorded its highest growth rate in two years – with pre-tax income of US$380 million and net income of US$260 million – up 392% and 512% respectively. The Q4 results closed out a record year, with annual Group revenue surging past US$60 billion, adding more than US$10 billion on the previous fiscal year. Profit grew even faster, with pre-tax income of almost US$1.8 billion and net income of US$1.2 billion – both up more than 70% year-on-year.
Lenovo’s Board of Directors declared a final dividend of 3.09 US cents or 24 HK cents per share for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2021.
(profit attributable to equity holders)
Basic earnings per share (US cents)
Chairman and CEO quote – Yuanqing Yang:
“Last quarter, we delivered our fastest growing quarter in almost a decade and closed the fiscal year with the new milestone of passing US$60 billion in revenue and significant growth in profit to a new record. These historic highs were achieved by leveraging our core competencies of a clear strategy, innovative products, operational excellence, and global-local model to meet the new needs in the New Normal.” said Yuanqing Yang, Lenovo Chairman and CEO. “Looking forward, we will capture the huge growth opportunities created by the market trends of information consumption upgrade, infrastructure upgrade and application upgrade to drive long-term sustainable growth and ensure we can build an even smarter future in the years ahead.”
Fourth quarter record driven by simultaneous double-digit revenue growth across all core businesses
- Best fourth quarter ever for PC and Smart Devices (PCSD) with US$12.4 billion in revenue, up 46% year-on-year and profitability at an all-time high of 6.7%.
- All geographies realized high double-digit growth in PCSD revenue and PC volume outgrew the market – further strengthening the company’s global #1 ranking in PCs.
- Tablets had a breakthrough quarter, with shipments growing 157% year-on-year – around three times as fast as the market.
- High growth and premium segment volumes (Gaming, Thin & Light, Chromebooks, Visuals) continue to outgrow the market and deliver strong double to triple-digit growth rates.
- Revenue from the Mobile Business Group (MBG) achieved hyper-growth, up 86% year-on-year to US$1.54 billion – achieving pre-tax income of US$21 million – a record high since the Motorola acquisition.
- Expanded carrier relationships and a strong product portfolio, including 5G products, saw smartphone volumes grow at triple digit rate in North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific.
- Smartphone market share in our Latin America stronghold reached a record of nearly 21%.
- Revenue for the Data Center Group (DCG) was strong, growing 32% year-on-year to US$1.6 billion, the fifth straight quarter of premium-to-market growth. Profitability improved 4.4 points year-on-year.
- The Cloud Service Provider business grew 73% year-on-year and at a 61-point premium to the market.
- Record high fourth quarter revenue was achieved for Server, Storage, Software Defined Infrastructure, Software, and HPC/AI. Traditional storage was a particular highlight growing at 73% year-on-year.
- Burgeoning Edge business delivering strong signs of future growth.
- Transformation businesses also achieved record growth, fueled by ongoing strong growth in services and software revenue* up 44% year-on-year. Managed Services revenue* (DaaS, TruScale) nearly doubled, and Solutions revenue* grew 65% year-on-year.
Fiscal year milestone fueled by leveraging core competencies of clear strategy, product innovation, operational excellence, and Global/Local model
- For the first time, Group revenue surged past US$60 billion, adding more than US$10 billion, or 20% year-on-year growth in just one year.
- Intelligent Devices Group (PCSD and MBG) and Data Center Group achieved revenue growth of 20% and 15% respectively.
- The Group’s Service-led transformation is forging ahead. Software and Services revenue grew twice as fast at the overall Group revenue, at almost 40% year-on-year to a record US$4.9 billion – now makes up 8%* of Group revenue.
- Effective April 1, 2021, the Lenovo Group brought together services and solutions teams and capabilities from across the company to form a dedicated organization - the new Solutions & Services Group (SSG). This business group will further strengthen our attached services portfolio and increase attach rates, enhance and expand managed services, and develop repeatable solutions in key vertical industries.
- The Group’s global supply chain continues to be best-in-class with the global footprint expanding to include a new in-house factory in Hungary which will be fully operational later in 2021. Most recently Gartner ranked Lenovo as one of the world’s top 25 supply chains, citing the company as a stand-out performer in customer-driven business transformation, noted for embracing the use of advanced technologies like 5G, blockchain and artificial intelligence to optimize the delivery of products and solutions to customers across 180 markets.
- Progress and ambitions around sustainability continue at a significant pace, with Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions reduced by 92% over the past decade and have new aggressive science-based targets for 2030 in place to drive progress even harder. The company has also been recognized by the annual Corporate Knights Index as one of the world’s 100 most sustainable companies.
- The company was named as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Boston Consulting Group – ranking 25 out of the top 50.
The challenges of FY 20/21 continue, in varying degrees, into the new year. Nevertheless, with the permanent market changes accelerated over the past year the Group’s outlook for the rest of 2021 and the 21/22 fiscal year remains positive. The market changes over the past year are fueling three major trends that the Group is capitalizing on. Firstly, the consumption upgrade, with customers spending more time on their devices, buying more, and upgrading more often. Secondly, the infrastructure upgrade, with customers moving from buying data center products to buying total infrastructure solutions. And finally, the application upgrade, with digitalization greatly accelerated and intelligent transformation, enabled by A.I., becoming a reality. Lenovo’s proven track record for execution, its global-local operating model, and new organizational structure aligns to these trends, will further strengthen the Group’s ability to drive long-term, sustainable growth.
* invoiced revenue
Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY) is a US$60 billion revenue Fortune Global 500 company serving customers in 180 markets around the world. Focused on a bold vision to deliver smarter technology for all, we are developing world-changing technologies that power (through devices and infrastructure) and empower (through solutions, services and software) millions of customers every day and together create a more inclusive, trustworthy and sustainable digital society for everyone, everywhere. To find out more visit https://www.lenovo.com and read about the latest news via our StoryHub.
For the fiscal quarter and full year ended March 31, 2021
(in US$ millions, except per share data)
Gross profit margin
Other non-operating expenses - net
Profit for the period/year
Profit attributable to equity holders
Earnings per share (US cents)
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Ambarella Expands Security AI Vision SoC Portfolio With Two New Families; Doubles Resolution to 32MP30 for 4K Multi-Imager Cameras With Advanced AI21.6.2021 11:00:00 CEST | Press release
Ambarella, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMBA), an AI vision silicon company, today announced the expansion of its AI vision SoC portfolio with the new CV5S and CV52S security families. Based on the CVflow® architecture and advanced 5nm process technology, the new SoCs support simultaneous 4K encoding and advanced AI processing in a single low-power design, which provides industry-leading edge AI SoC performance per watt. The CV5S family is ideal for security camera applications that require multiple sensors for 360-degree coverage, over a wide area and with a long range, such as outdoor city environments or large buildings. The CV52S family is designed for single-sensor security cameras with advanced AI performance that need to more clearly identify individuals or objects in a scene, including faces and license plate numbers over long distances, such as ITS traffic cameras. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210621005178/en/ Am
Ezbob Introduces New SaaS Platform to Meet the Changing Landscape of Digital Banking21.6.2021 11:00:00 CEST | Press release
Ezbob Ltd., an innovator in customer acquisition technology for financial services, today announced the introduction of a new modular SaaS platform that addresses key trends in the sector. The company’s Ezbob Express™, focuses on three important needs: offering financial service providers the flexibility of filling gaps in their digital transformation strategies, enabling them to make more precise complex credit and risk decisions in real-time, and facilitating the growth of embedded finance. Ezbob’s new Express customer acquisition platform has a modular approach, enabling financial institutions with gaps in their digital channel to add the functionality needed to achieve a customised digital experience. The new modules include: UX & Process Design, Compliance & Authentication, Credit & Risk Decisioning and Product Recommender. Since its inception Ezbob has been providing digital onboarding services for many well-known financial institutions including Santander, NatWest, Metro Bank, P
Jardiance ® (empagliflozin) approved in Europe for the treatment of heart failure with reduced ejection fraction21.6.2021 10:36:00 CEST | Press release
The European Commission has granted marketing authorization for Jardiance® (empagliflozin) as a treatment for adults with symptomatic chronic heart failure with reduced ejection fraction (systolic heart failure), Boehringer Ingelheim and Eli Lilly and Company have announced.The extension of the indication follows a positive recommendation by the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) on 20 May 2021.2 This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210621005298/en/ “Today’s approval provides an important new treatment option which can now help the millions of people in Europe living with symptomatic chronic heart failure with reduced ejection fraction,” said Faiez Zannad, M.D., Ph.D., EMPEROR Program clinical investigator and Emeritus Professor of Therapeutics at the University of Lorraine, France. “New treatment options such as empagliflozin can save lives and help people spend less time in the hospital and mor
SK Capital Reaches Agreement to Sell Niacet for $1,015m21.6.2021 10:00:00 CEST | Press release
An affiliate of funds advised by SK Capital Partners, LP (“SK Capital”) announced today that it reached agreement to sell Niacet Corp. (“Niacet”) to Kerry Group plc, the global taste and nutrition company, for $1,015m (€853m¹) on a cash-free, debt-free basis, subject to customary closing adjustments. Following the acquisition, Niacet will be integrated into Kerry’s global food protection and preservation platform. Jack Norris, Managing Director at SK Capital, said, “SK Capital is privileged to have partnered with Kelly Brannen and the entire Niacet team. We are proud and appreciative of Niacet’s accomplishments over the last four years leveraging the strong foundation the Brannen family built over many decades. We believe Niacet is well-positioned to continue this growth and flourish under Kerry’s ownership. We wish Kerry and all the employees of Niacet every success.” Kelly Brannen, CEO and significant minority owner of Niacet, commented, “We are proud of the rich heritage we have bui
ISAE-SUPAERO's "Collaborative Rover and Drone" Project, Facilitating the Exploration of the Moon21.6.2021 09:54:00 CEST | Press release
While Thomas Pesquet launched on April 22 as part of the Alpha mission, one of humanity's biggest challenges remains even further away than the ISS, 400,000 km from Earth: the establishment of a lunar base. But before being able to settle on the Moon in a prolonged way to exploit its resources or as a logistic support for future exploration missions further away, an exploration work is necessary. The use of autonomous robotic systems would allow mapping of dangerous or hard-to-reach areas from space, before eventually deploying infrastructure such as a spaceport or human habitation. Faced with this exploration challenge, the Space Advanced Concepts Laboratory (SaCLaB) of ISAE-SUPAERO in Toulouse and a team of students from the Institute are developing the Collaborative Rover and Drone (CoRoDro) project to study navigation and autonomous operations for space robotic systems. This scientific study is one of 12 university technology projects selected in 8 different countries as part of th
FXVIEW Goes Global, Sets up a Subsidiary in Saint Vincent and Grenadines21.6.2021 09:47:00 CEST | Press release
Fxview, Cyprus based forex and CFDs financial services company, announced today that it has set up an offshore subsidiary in St Vincent & The Grenadines. Until now, Fxview has been operating with its EU licenses from Cyprus. Charlgate SVG LLC, their locally incorporated arm will ensure the expansion of products and services on Fxview’s platforms. It will also allow them to offer regulated forex and CFDs trading services to traders around the globe. Fxview operates in Europe with its multiple European Licenses and is already an established brand in the EU market. Earlier this month, the company was acquired by a global FinTech leader Finvasia Group. “We anticipate that many more traders will join our platform where we plan to offer additional products and services like research & analysis, higher leverage, sophisticated trading tools, social trading, MAM / PAMM services, affiliate programs, loyalty reward programs and more,” said Rahul Bansal, Director of Charlgate SVG LLC. “We have bee
Ajay Kavan Joins KKR as a Senior Advisor in Europe21.6.2021 09:00:00 CEST | Press release
KKR, a leading global investment firm, today announces the appointment of Ajay Kavan as a Senior Advisor in Europe, effective immediately. Based in London, Mr. Kavan will support KKR’s pan-European investment activities in technology and digitally-enabled businesses and will advise KKR’s portfolio companies. In particular, he will focus on the consumer internet sector in eCommerce and direct-to-consumer offers, as well as companies undergoing major digital transformation programmes. Ajay most recently served as CEO of Matches Fashion, where he supported the business through the impact of the pandemic, strengthened the leadership team and improved customer experience, technology and operational performance. Prior to joining Matches he spent nine years in senior roles at Amazon including VP International Special Projects, VP Amazon Fresh International and VP UK Consumables. He was responsible for launching Amazon Fresh across Europe and Asia, developing strategic partnerships with retail