Lenovo Group: First Quarter Results 2021/22
Lenovo Group (HKSE: 992) (PINK SHEETS: LNVGY) today announced record fiscal first quarter results for the Group. Opportunities created by accelerated digitalization, intelligent transformation and IT upgrades in devices, infrastructure, and applications around the world continue to fuel the Group’s long-term and sustainable profitability increases.
Seizing these opportunities, Lenovo’s performance delivered significant year-on-year profitability improvements, with pre-tax income almost doubling to US$650 million (up 96%), and net income also more than doubled (up 119%), as net income margin reached 2.8%, the highest in many years. First quarter Group revenue continued hypergrowth to US$16.9 billion, up 27% year-on-year.
Looking ahead, the company sees continued opportunities for sustainable growth and profitability improvements across its business, in areas such as vertical solutions, infrastructure solutions, premium PCs, and adjacent non-PC devices such as tablets, smartphones, embedded computing, and other smart devices. Additionally, innovation will continue to help drive profitable, sustainable growth. Having increased R&D expense in the first quarter by 40% year-on-year, Lenovo will further invest in innovation and double its R&D investments over the next three years.
This quarter is the first time the company is reporting under the new business group structure of Solutions and Services Group (SSG), Infrastructure Solutions Group (ISG), and Intelligent Devices Group (IDG) that was announced earlier this year.
Net Income (profit attributable to equity holders)
Basic earnings per share (US cents)
Chairman and CEO quote – Yuanqing Yang:
“The accelerated digital and intelligent transformation has created significant market opportunities globally. Lenovo is successfully seizing these as we transform from a device company to a services and solutions provider. The proof is in our performance - this quarter alone we’ve doubled profitability year-on-year while net income margin reached the highest in many years,” said Yuanqing Yang, Lenovo Chairman and CEO. “Going forward, we will continue to increase R&D investment, aiming to double it over the next three years; we will further improve our operational excellence; and we remain committed to green innovation and corporate citizenship to achieve long-term sustainable profitability increases.”
Solutions and Services Group (SSG): driving increased Group profitability in rapid growth sectors
The industry is transforming with customers needing more sophisticated IT services, creating huge opportunities for solution services and managed services, including the subscription-based as-a-Service model. It’s estimated that the IT services market will be worth over US$1 trillion through 2025.
- Significant Q1 revenue growth (38% year-on-year to US$1.18 billion) across three key segments of SSG (support services, managed services/as-a-Service, vertical solutions) with an operating margin of 22%, much higher than the traditional hardware businesses.
- Support services profitability was up almost three points year-on-year; revenue from managed service/as-a-Service achieved double-digit growth year-on-year, and contract value for vertical solutions achieved triple digit growth year-on-year.
- Success has come from several new high profile smart city and smart retail deals, as well as hybrid cloud solutions using Lenovo IP.
- Against this backdrop, Lenovo will improve penetration rates for support services and leverage the increasing device install base, especially as the commercial sector rebounds to growth. For as-a-Service the company is aggressively investing in capabilities, platforms, and tools, as well as driving scale through building more repeatable vertical solutions using Lenovo’s own IP and through strategic partnerships.
- The significantly higher margins of the three key segments for SSG will drive higher profitability for the Group overall in the quarters and years to come.
Infrastructure Solutions Group (ISG): accelerating profitability and significantly outgrowing the market quarter after quarter
ICT infrastructure is the foundation to digital and intelligent transformation, with ICT infrastructure predicted to be a near US$250 billion market through 2025. After investing in building a strong foundation, Lenovo is well positioned as a “full-stack” ICT provider.
- ISG delivered record revenue of US$1.8 billion, has outperformed the market for six straight quarters, while achieving the best results in five years.
- Now #3 in the global x86 Server market and #2 in mainstream storage.
- Higher margin businesses – storage, software, and Hybrid Cloud solutions – continue strong growth year-on-year, with Hybrid Cloud Solutions growing high double-digit year-on-year.
- The Group will continue to invest to grow the business with a vision to become the largest data center infrastructure solutions provider, by increasing investments in edge computing, Hybrid cloud solutions, and 5G cloud-network convergence. The company will continue to strengthen in-house design and manufacturing capabilities, improve efficiencies, and expand strategic partnerships to enable more solutions.
- Ongoing investment in overall ISG competitiveness will further drive profitability and overall competitiveness for the business group.
Intelligent Devices Group (IDG): record profit, further growing non-PC businesses
The pandemic has changed how people live and work, with PCs returning to the center of digital lives. The PC refreshment cycle has shortened, the penetration rate has increased and the total PC demand until 2025 will at least remain at current levels, with commercial demand rebounding quickly. At the same time, the IoT market is expected to surge by 11% CAGR through 2025. And new opportunities in non-PC businesses are growing rapidly.
- Record first quarter for both profit and revenue. Profit of US$1.1 billion, up 43% year-on-year and revenue of US$14.7 billion, up 28% year-on-year - driven by a combination of strong performance in PCs and growing performance of non-PC segments, which now account for 18% of IDG’s total revenue.
- Average Selling Price and profitability continue to trend up, thanks to ongoing investment in premium and high growth PC segments like Gaming, Workstation, Thin & Light.
- Lenovo strengthened its #2 position in the global Android tablet market, and the smartphone business delivered over 60% revenue growth year-on year and is now a self-sustainable healthy business, with record operating margin for the quarter of almost 5%.
- Lenovo will further invest in smarter devices, core component technologies, and next generation computing platforms.
- Lenovo will leverage its broad customer base to cross sell non-PC products, to drive sustainable profitability increases.
Operational highlights and investing for the future
- Q1 R&D expense increased 40% year-on-year, with a commitment to double R&D investment over the next three years.
- The company recently climbed 65 places to be ranked #159 on the Fortune Global 500 list, an all-time high ranking
- The Group’s operational excellence and global supply chain continue to be best-in-class, helping the business to navigate ongoing global component supply challenges.
- The Group continues to focus across ESG, through both its science-based climate targets and by driving green innovation; supporting communities and businesses in need as a result of COVID challenges, and empowering under-represented communities with access to technology and STEM education through the Lenovo Foundation. The Group’s annual ESGreport will be published in September 2021. Lenovo has also recently been named best workplace for disability inclusion by the Disability:IN 2021 equality index.
Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (PINK SHEETS: LNVGY) is a US$60 billion revenue Fortune Global 500 company serving customers in 180 markets around the world. Focused on a bold vision to deliver smarter technology for all, we are developing world-changing technologies that power (through devices and infrastructure) and empower (through solutions, services and software) millions of customers every day and together create a more inclusive, trustworthy and sustainable digital society for everyone, everywhere. To find out more visit https://www.lenovo.com and read about the latest news via our StoryHub.
For the fiscal quarter ended June 30, 2021
(in US$ millions, except per share data)
Gross profit margin
Other non-operating expenses - net
Profit for the period
Profit attributable to equity holders
EPS (US cents)
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
DXC Technology Completes Refinancing Actions24.9.2021 22:30:00 CEST | Press release
DXC Technology Company (NYSE: DXC) (“DXC”) today announced the completion of its refinancing. DXC previously completed the offering of €1.35 billion Senior Notes priced on September 2, 2021 and $1.35 billion Senior Notes priced on September 7, 2021. DXC completed redemption of $2.5 billion principal of (i) EUR term loan in the amount of €400 million due FY23 and FY24, (ii) $500 million 4.25% Senior notes due FY25, (iii) £250 million 2.75% Senior notes due FY25, (iv) $467 million 4.125% Senior notes due FY26, (v) $500 million 4.75% Senior notes due FY28, and (vi) $234 million Senior notes due FY30. The applicable make whole premium for these redemptions was $300 million and accrued and unpaid interest was $40 million. Ken Sharp, Chief Financial Officer, DXC commented: “Our opportunistic debt refinancing of $2.5 billion of our high coupon debt further solidifies our financial foundation by extending our debt maturities, lowering our maturity towers and reducing our ongoing interest expen
Schlumberger Announces Third-Quarter 2021 Results Conference Call24.9.2021 16:00:00 CEST | Press release
Schlumberger Limited (NYSE:SLB) will hold a conference call on October 22, 2021 to discuss the results for the third quarter ending September 30, 2021. The conference call is scheduled to begin at 9:30 am US Eastern time and a press release regarding the results will be issued at 7:00 am US Eastern time. To access the conference call, listeners should contact the Conference Call Operator at +1 (844) 721-7241 within North America or +1 (409) 207-6955 outside of North America approximately 10 minutes prior to the start of the call and the access code is 8858313. A webcast of the conference call will be broadcast simultaneously at www.slb.com/irwebcast on a listen-only basis. Listeners should log in 15 minutes prior to the start of the call to test their browsers and register for the webcast. Following the end of the conference call, a replay will be available at www.slb.com/irwebcast until November 22, 2021, and can be accessed by dialing +1 (866) 207-1041 within North America or +1 (402
Tradeweb Successfully Completes its First Southbound Bond Connect Transactions24.9.2021 14:07:00 CEST | Press release
Tradeweb Markets Inc. (Nasdaq: TW), a leading global operator of electronic marketplaces for rates, credit, equities and money markets, today announced it has completed its first Southbound Bond Connect transactions via the trading link between Tradeweb and China Foreign Exchange Trade System (CFETS). “Southbound Bond Connect is the latest evolutionary step for China’s financial market, providing domestic investors with more flexibility and choice when trading offshore bonds,” said Lee Olesky, CEO of Tradeweb Markets. “Together with CFETS, our goal is to better meet onshore investors’ demand for streamlined access to global investment. We will continue to focus on further enhancing the trading link by deploying new innovative trading functionality, just as we did with the Northbound leg of Bond Connect.” Southbound Bond Connect facilitates fixed income portfolio diversification for institutional investors in China. Tradeweb collaborates closely with CFETS to create a uniform trading ex
H.I.G. Capital Acquires Aspire Pharma24.9.2021 14:05:00 CEST | Press release
H.I.G. Capital, LLC (“H.I.G.”), a leading global alternative investment firm with $45 billion of equity capital under management, is pleased to announce that one of its affiliates has acquired Aspire Pharma Limited (“Aspire” or the “Company”), a leading UK provider of niche generic and branded specialty pharmaceuticals, alongside its founder Graham Fraser-Pye. The financial terms of the transaction have not been disclosed. Aspire licenses and develops niche generic and specialty pharmaceutical products that offer innovative formulations, value for money for payors, and reliable supply arrangements in markets that are often underserved. The business holds leadership positions in urology, ophthalmology, CNS and dermatology, with a highly diversified portfolio of more than 250 products across multiple categories, including branded specialty products and unbranded niche generics. H.I.G., together with the management team, aims to continue Aspire’s strong track record of organic growth and
Swappable Announces Partnership with Esports T1's Dota 2 Team24.9.2021 13:34:00 CEST | Press release
Swappable, an NFT (Non-Fungible Token) interface for high-profile and exclusive digital collectibles, has announced its partnership with T1's Dota 2 team, the popular esports team for the upcoming International 10 - Dota 2 World Championship in Bucharest, Romania. T1 is not just an esports team but a pop culture phenomenon with millions of fans worldwide. The team embodies a blend of lifestyle, creativity and attitude, fresh from the source of Seoul & LA. As part of the collaboration, T1 will auction their first-ever NFTs (digital collectibles) on Swappable for T1’s Genesis Collection. With the first auction starting Friday September 24th, T1 will release a series of NFTs each possessing utility features such as special access to T1's Dota 2 team players and more. Visit Swappable for more information. “We are excited to partner with a leading organization in the esports industry. It is also a chance for T1 fans to pick the very first digital collectibles ever created by this legendary
SAB Biotherapeutics Announces SAB-185 Receives Positive DSMB Review and Advances to Phase 3 in NIH-Sponsored ACTIV-2 Trial for Treatment of COVID-1924.9.2021 13:00:00 CEST | Press release
SAB Biotherapeutics (SAB), a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company with a novel immunotherapy platform that produces specifically targeted, high-potency, fully-human polyclonal antibodies without the need for human donors, today announced that an independent Data Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB) has completed its prespecified interim analysis data review of the safety and efficacy of SAB-185 in the Phase 2 portion of the ACTIV-2 trial and has recommended advancement to Phase 3. SAB-185 is a fully-human, specifically-targeted, broadly-neutralizing polyclonal antibody therapeutic candidate for the treatment of non-hospitalized patients with mild to moderate COVID-19. It is being assessed in the ACTIV-2 trial funded and conducted by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the US National Institutes of Health (NIH) in collaboration with the AIDS Clinical Trials Group. SAB-185 is advancing to the Phase 3 trial based on meeting pre-defined graduation crite
NTHU Researchers Develop Ultrasonic Vortex Thrombolytic Device24.9.2021 11:00:00 CEST | Press release
As COVID-19 vaccination has raised the issue of thrombosis, Dr. Chih-Kuang Yeh, Distinguished Professor of the Department of Biomedical Engineering and Environmental Sciences, has led a research team to developed the world's first ultrasonic vortex thrombolytic device and to treat thrombosis quickly and safely. The research has been published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) in 2021. Moreover, U.S. and EU patents are granted, with more applications on the way. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210924005015/en/ (Photo: National Tsing Hua University) The device is developed to solve two common thrombosis called pulmonary embolism (PE) and deep vein thrombosis (DVT), which have global prevalence of 10 million new cases annually. DVT is the main cause of PE, and PE can cause heart failure and has mortality rate up to 65%. Professor Yeh explained that the current treatment options includes dr