In a Year Like No Other, Hilton Grows to Milestone 1 Million Rooms and Responds to Pandemic with Innovations for Guests, Positive Impact for Communities
In a year when the travel industry faced challenges like never before, Hilton (NYSE: HLT) weathered the storm by staying true to its founding purpose – to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality. As the COVID-19 pandemic created unprecedented challenges for the travel and tourism industry, Hilton developed industry-leading guest innovations, reached significant growth milestones and continued to positively impact communities around the world.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201215005839/en/
In June 2020, Hilton began a worldwide roll-out of Hilton CleanStay, a new program to deliver an industry-leading standard of cleanliness and disinfection to Hilton properties. Credit: Hilton
Even as the company faced the biggest test in its 101-year history, Hilton’s resilient, capital-light business model enabled it to organically reach its 1 million room milestone in the fourth quarter.
Three of the hotels that helped the company cross this important threshold paint a picture of Hilton’s global growth story: Hilton Garden Inn Umhlanga Arch in South Africa, illustrating the company’s expansion into Africa; Tru by Hilton Savannah Airport, showcasing the power of the fastest-growing new brand in Hilton’s portfolio; and the Hilton Garden Inn Guizhou Maotai Town in China, helping deliver on the company’s ambitious growth goals in the APAC market.
Meanwhile, Hilton’s overall development pipeline remains strong, with 2,640 hotels and more than 408,000 rooms globally*.
“It’s been a year unlike any other, but even in the face of incredible challenges, our Team Members and owners have proven that travel is an unstoppable force for good,” said Chris Nassetta, president & CEO, Hilton. “Thanks to their grit and determination, Hilton has made a difference in the lives of so many and positively impacted communities at a time when our hospitality is needed more than ever – and together we look forward to creating even more meaningful memories in the year ahead.”
Throughout 2020, Hilton, in partnership with its hotel ownership community, has found innovative and meaningful ways to adapt to the changing needs of its guests, Team Members and communities:
The pandemic rapidly changed guest behavior, priorities and concerns. Hilton responded with start-up style speed, grounded in more than a century of hospitality know-how to provide reassurance to travelers.
Among the innovations:
- Launched Hilton CleanStayTM, an industry-defining standard of cleanliness and disinfection in collaboration with RB, maker of Lysol and Dettol and in consultation with Mayo Clinic
- Redesigned meeting and event experiences and set new standards for event cleanliness and customer service with the launch of Hilton EventReady with CleanStayTM
- Modified cancellation policies and took a number of steps to provide even more flexibility for Hilton Honors members including status and Points extensions
- Created opportunities for Hilton Honors members to respond to the global pandemic by donating their Points to convert into cash and send directly to organizations including World Central Kitchen, Clean the World, Project Hope or Direct Relief
- Provided alternative remote working options through the launch of WorkSpaces by Hilton in the U.S., Canada and the United Kingdom
- Continued to provide contactless guest experience options through the free Hilton Honors app, enabling guests to personalize their experience with the ability to choose their rooms, check-in and out digitally and use their phones as digital keys. Guests have now used Hilton’s Digital Key to open more than 100 million doors worldwide
- Inspired travelers to make new memories with the global launch of our insights-driven marketing campaign, “To New Memories”
- Revealed, for the first time ever, DoubleTree by Hilton’s official chocolate chip cookie recipe so guests could create an at-home version of this iconic travel treat
Response to Communities
Hilton continued to find inventive ways to address some of the most critical, immediate needs of the communities where it operates.
- Partnered with American Express to donate up to 1 million hotel room nights across the U.S. for frontline medical professionals leading the fight against COVID-19
- Expanded partnership with American Express through a $1 million contribution from American Express to World Central Kitchen, to provide healthy, freshly prepared meals to the frontline healthcare professionals who stayed at Hilton properties in cities across the U.S. during the coronavirus pandemic
- Revealed 2020 Hilton Effect Foundation Grants and reached more than $1 million in global COVID-19 community response efforts
- Extended Hilton’s hospitality to help the travel industry come together to overcome the global pandemic including sharing countless stories of teams around the world supporting each other and helping their communities
- Supported Hilton Team Members searching for virtual and remote volunteer opportunities, including during its annual Hilton Effect Week volunteer event and through innovative partnerships with groups including Clean the World, Meals on Wheels and more
- Remained committed to the company’s Travel with Purpose 2030 Goals to cut the company’s environmental footprint in half and double its social impact investments worldwide. These efforts led to Hilton being named the global industry leader in sustainability for the second consecutive year on the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices
Continued Global Growth and Expansion
Hilton kept dreams of traveling alive by opening exciting new properties around the world. All the while, the company advocated on behalf of owners, many of whom are small businesses, who struggled with the travel decline.
- Announced key additions to Hilton’s robust pipeline including Waldorf Astoria Monarch Beach Resort & Club and Resorts World Las Vegas (featuring Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts and LXR Hotels & Resorts brands) in the Americas, Conrad Abu Dhabi Etihad Towers in EMEA and Waldorf Astoria Tokyo Nihonbashi and Hilton Singapore Orchard in APAC
- Opened new notable properties around the world including Conrad Punta de Mita in the Americas and Susona Bodrum, LXR Hotels & Resorts in EMEA, Hilton Goa Resort and Hilton Okinawa Sesoko Resort in APAC
- Launched Tempo by Hilton, an elevated and approachable lifestyle brand offering thoughtful design, efficient service and exciting partnerships and reached notable brand milestones including the 600th DoubleTree by Hilton
Response to Team Members
2020 saw Hilton go from being named the #1 Best Company to Work for in the U.S. to, weeks later, having to furlough thousands of Team Members due to the impact of COVID-19 on travel and tourism. At every turn, the company leaned into its values to navigate these tough decisions.
- Activated Hilton’s Team Member Assistance Fund to support Hilton Team Members who have been directly impacted by COVID-19 or have a family member impacted by the virus
- Reversed its recruitment engine to connect Team Members impacted by furloughs and layoffs with access to more than a million job opportunities through the Hilton Workforce Resource Center
- Launched a new Hilton Alumni Network portal with access to relevant career opportunities, resources, news and information
- Committed to an expedited recruitment process for Team Members who reapply for future roles when conditions allow
- Extended Team Member Hilton Honors status and access to Go Hilton, Hilton’s industry-leading Team Member travel program, for departing Team Members, and offered improved Honors status to current Team Members
- Continued to earn recognition as a top workplace, even as the pandemic continued, including being named to the top spot on the 2020 list of Best Workplaces in Greater China
- Recognized the heroic actions of frontline Team Members with the creation of a new Hospitality Heroes Award
- Listened to Team Members and relaunched the network of eight Team Member Resource Groups committed to building communities across the organization, and introduced a Courageous Conversation series to foster meaningful dialogue to bring about lasting change in the midst of an evolving social justice landscape
To learn more about Hilton, please visit: newsroom.hilton.com.
* Unless otherwise indicated, all hotel data reflects Hilton’s third quarter 2020 announcement (November 4). More information can be found on Hilton’s Investor Relations website.
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company with a portfolio of 18 world-class brands comprising more than 6,300 properties and more than one million rooms, in 118 countries and territories. Dedicated to fulfilling its mission to be the world’s most hospitable company, Hilton has welcomed more than 3 billion guests in its more than 100-year history, earned a top spot on the 2020 World’s Best Workplaces list, and was named the 2020 Global Industry Leader on the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices. In 2020, Hilton CleanStay was introduced, bringing an industry-defining standard of cleanliness and disinfection to hotels worldwide. Through the award-winning guest loyalty program Hilton Honors, the more than 110 million members who book directly with Hilton can earn Points for hotel stays and experiences money can’t buy, plus enjoy instant benefits, including contactless check-in with room selection, Digital Key, and Connected Room. Visit newsroom.hilton.com for more information, and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.
+ 703 883 3042
+1 703 883 6065
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
The Remittance Effect: Global Citizens Emerge as Economic First Responders of the Developing World27.1.2021 10:03:00 CET | Press release
Person-to-person ("P2P") international transfers, or remittances, sent by global citizens to their homelands represent the largest foreign economic support structure for developing economies. According to a new report by Oxford Economics, commissioned by Western Union (NYSE: WU), a global leader in cross-border, cross-currency money movement, remittances have helped smooth COVID-19 pandemic-induced economic shocks, increasing the resilience of developing nations throughout 2020 and presenting a potential lifeline for recovery in 2021 and beyond. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210127005359/en/ The Remittance Effect: Global Citizens Emerge as Economic First Responders of the Developing World (Graphic: Business Wire) The Oxford Economics Report: The Remittance Effect: A Lifeline for Developing Economies Through the Pandemic and Into Recoveryidentifies several positive economic and remittance consumer fundamental
Temenos Extends Partnership with Schroders for Wealth Front Office27.1.2021 08:30:00 CET | Press release
Temenos (SIX: TEMN), the banking software company, today announced that Schroders Wealth Management in Switzerland has selected Temenos Wealth Front Office to automate and enhance its advisory business. Schroders Wealth Management will deploy the state-of-the-art portfolio management system on its existing Temenos Transact core banking platform to provide intuitive and powerful capabilities for relationship managers, advisers and portfolio managers. Supported by Temenos, Schroders Wealth Management looks after £65.7 billion of assets for its clients worldwide, from offices in the UK, Channel Islands, Switzerland, Singapore and Hong Kong. With Temenos Wealth Front Office, Schroders Wealth Management benefits from standardized advisory processes. The solution includes dashboards for relationship managers and portfolio managers, client and investment profiling, investment proposal process, advanced order generation, comprehensive pre- and post-trade compliance checks, flexible benchmarkin
Data Gumbo Provides Real-Time OPEX Visibility; Supports Continuous Financial Management Across European Energy Sector27.1.2021 07:00:00 CET | Press release
Data Gumbo, provider of GumboNet™ — the massively interconnected industrial smart contract network secured and powered by blockchain — today announced that it enables real-time operational expenses (OPEX) visibility for energy operators and service providers across Europe. By using field operating data to digitally confirm that commercial terms of existing contracts have been satisfied, smart contracts trigger automated payments between commercial counterparties to deliver real-time visibility into contract spend. “Energy operators and service providers are in need of information that can assist them in making difficult economic choices,” said Ove Sandve, Norway Country Manager at Data Gumbo. “GumboNet’s real-time OPEX capabilities unlock sustained digital visibility into financial health and management that can set up a company to tie field measurements to payments driving transactional certainty, improving cash flow, increasing value, and ultimately, attracting better investors.” Man
TransferWise and Visa Announce Global Partnership Following Successful Collaboration on Cloud Technology27.1.2021 06:01:00 CET | Press release
Visa (NYSE: V) and TransferWise today announced a global partnership and the first use of Visa Cloud Connect, a new way for fintechs and partners to securely connect Visa’s global processing network, VisaNet, through the cloud. Visa Cloud Connect underpins a new global agreement between Visa and TransferWise that will enable the expansion of TransferWise’s multi-currency debit cards in Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, the Middle East, U.K. and U.S. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210126006164/en/ The TransferWise multi-currency account allows consumers and businesses to hold and convert 55 currencies at the real exchange rate. The multi-currency debit card lets customers spend and withdraw directly from any of the currency balances. Expanding the offering into new markets would have previously required significant investment in local data centers, telecommunications infrastructure and spe
UserTesting Launches New Test Types and Interactive Visualization Capabilities to Bring Greater Customer Insight and Intuition to Businesses27.1.2021 03:00:00 CET | Press release
Collecting fast customer feedback has become mission-critical when competing in what is a very new and different business world. The ability to empathize with customers and understand how their buying behaviors have changed has never been more important than it is today. UserTesting, a leading provider of on-demand human insight, today announced several new capabilities designed to help companies meet the ever-evolving needs of their customers, with more test types that can give a greater understanding of how they organize and prioritize information, and interpret experiences. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210126005448/en/ UserTesting January Product Release 2021 (Graphic: Business Wire) The January 2021 Product Release includes new test types for both web and mobile experiences, plus interactive visualization capabilities in the form of click maps, designed to reduce the amount of time it takes to review an
KPMG unveils Our Impact Plan ; shares progress against newly created Stakeholder Capitalism Metrics27.1.2021 01:01:00 CET | Press release
KPMG today published its first global environmental, social and governance (ESG) plan. Our Impact Plan brings together new and existing ESG commitments under one umbrella, focusing on four important categories: Planet, People, Prosperity and Governance. The plan also catalogues current data across the global organization and reports against metrics outlined in a report created by the World Economic Forum (WEF) and drafted in consultation with its International Business Council (IBC), titled Measuring Stakeholder Capitalism, which KPMG had a key role in shaping. KPMG will continue to strengthen its commitments outlined in the plan and improve reporting on its progress in the months and years to come. KPMG Global Chairman and CEO, Bill Thomas said, “By harnessing our convening power, digital capabilities and expertise, KPMG has an opportunity and responsibility to help shape and lead on some of the critical issues the world faces—doing so is core to our purpose to Inspire Confidence and
PerkinElmer Launches Industry-First GPCR TR-FRET Binding Assay and Beta-Arrestin Kits to Help Advance Therapeutics Discovery26.1.2021 21:25:00 CET | Press release
PerkinElmer, a global leader committed to innovating for a healthier world, today announced the addition of new assay kits to help further GPCR (G Protein-Coupled Receptor) therapeutic discovery. The new PerkinElmer offerings extend the company’s leading GPCR analysis portfolio, which includes innovative assays, plate readers, automation technologies and software solutions combined with siRNA, shRNA, CRISPR, and cDNA/ORFlibraries to help scientists more easily and accurately characterize receptors, screen compounds and streamline workflows. The new assays, which enable researchers to use the preferred cell models of their choice, include the HTRF GTP Gi binding kit, the industry’s first TR-FRET based assay for GTP binding; the B-arr2 recruitment kit; and HTRF total kits for B-Arrestin 1, B-Arrestin 2 and AP2. These assays will help scientists continue to better understand the important role GPCRs play in disease by studying the interaction, expression and potential modulation of intrac