Forge Biologics Forms Independent Scientific and Manufacturing Advisory Board with Panel of Gene Therapy Leaders
Forge Biologics, a gene therapy-focused contract development and manufacturing organization, announced today the formation of an independent board of preeminent experts, a Scientific and Manufacturing Advisory Board (SMAB), to advise the Company on its gene therapy manufacturing offerings and therapeutics pipeline development. The board will serve the traditional functions of a scientific advisory board, with a distinct and strategic emphasis on manufacturing advancements.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220517005561/en/
Credit: Forge Biologics
“We are thrilled and privileged to have gathered such a renowned group of experts in gene therapy development and manufacturing to work with us to us deliver quality products to our clients, especially as we accelerate AAV production with our new 5,000L bioreactor,” said Timothy J. Miller, Ph.D., CEO, President, and Co-Founder of Forge Biologics. “The board’s guidance will help focus our mission of manufacturing potentially life-saving therapies to patients suffering from genetic diseases.”
Members of Forge’s inaugural Scientific and Manufacturing Advisory Board include:
- Steven J. Gray, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. Dr. Gray serves as the director of the UTSW Viral Vector Facility. His core expertise is in adeno-associated viral (AAV) gene therapy vector engineering, followed by optimizing approaches to deliver a gene to the nervous system. His research focus has also been heavily focused in developing AAV-based treatments for neurological diseases, several of which have translated into clinical trials.
- Robert Kotin, Ph.D., Executive and scientific co-founder at Stealth Newco; Scientific co-founder of Generation Bio and Frontera Therapeutics; Vice President of Production, Voyager Therapeutics. Dr. Kotin is a preeminent expert in AAV gene therapy manufacturing and the co-inventor of the baculovirus-based AAV production system. He joined Voyager from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute of the National Institutes of Health, where he served for more than 20 years in roles of increasing responsibility, most recently as Senior Investigator and Laboratory Chief. Previously, Dr. Kotin served as head of the AAV gene therapy program at Genetic Therapy and as Senior Research Scientist of the Medical Research Division at Lederle Laboratories.
- Karen Kozarsky, Ph.D., Co-Founder and Chief Scientific Officer, SwanBio Therapeutics. Dr. Kozarsky has over 25 years of experience in gene therapy, with a primary focus on the development of gene therapy for inherited rare diseases utilizing AAV vectors. She has been involved in the development of multiple gene therapy products that are in clinical trials. Previously, Dr. Kozarsky was President of Vector BioPartners, Vice President of R&D at REGENXBIO Inc., and Head of Gene Therapy in the GlaxoSmithKline Biopharmaceutical Center of Excellence for Drug Discovery.
- Haiyan Ma, Ph.D., Director of Science, Northern Biomolecular Services. Dr. Ma is a scientific leader with over 30 years of experience in academic laboratories, pharmaceutical industry, and contracted research. She has a broad background in molecular and cell biology, applications of cell and gene therapy, bioanalysis of DNA/RNA/proteins, and virology. She led the establishment of a GLP compliant molecular biology lab, and served as Study Director or Contributing Scientist in 150+ studies.
- Simon N. Waddington, Ph.D., Professor of Gene Therapy at University College London. Dr. Waddington’s research has spanned viral and non-viral gene therapy. He has published in Cell, Nature Medicine, and Science Translational Medicine on Adenovirus, AAV and lentivirus biology. Some of the fruits of this work are in late-stage clinical trials.
The board will advise Forge leadership on strategic direction and goals, specifically in the areas of manufacturing and scientific or therapeutic program development.
“The landscape for clinical gene therapy is constantly evolving, and we are eager to work with our board members to ensure that we are observant, thoughtful and agile in our responses to the developments in the field,” said Erandi De Silva, Ph.D., Co-Founder and Senior Vice President of Product Development at Forge. “We are striving to effectively build strategies to overcome the barriers to efficient manufacturing and development in gene therapy, and this group’s guidance will be invaluable.”
About Forge Biologics
Forge Biologics is a hybrid gene therapy contract manufacturing and clinical-stage therapeutics development company. Forge’s mission is to enable access to life-changing gene therapies and help bring them from idea to reality. Forge has a 200,000 square foot facility in Columbus, Ohio, the Hearth, to serve as its headquarters. The Hearth is a custom-designed cGMP facility dedicated to AAV vector manufacturing and will host end-to-end manufacturing services to accelerate gene therapy programs from preclinical through clinical and commercial stage manufacturing. By taking a patients-first approach, Forge aims to accelerate the timelines of these transformative medicines for those who need them the most. To learn more, visit www.forgebiologics.com.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
Senior Manager, Marketing and Communications
Senior Vice President, Head of Business Development
Chief Commercial Officer
Senior Vice President, Finance and Investor Relations
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Teva Announces Promising Interim Results From Its Study PEARL, About the Impact of AJOVY ® (fremanezumab)24.6.2022 18:54:00 CEST | Press release
Teva Pharmaceuticals Europe B.V. today announces promising interim results from its Pan-European Real World study (PEARL), presented for the first time at the European Academy of Neurology (EAN) Congress in Vienna, Austria. The two-year Pan-European Real World (PEARL) prospective, observational study of AJOVY® (fremanezumab), looks at its effectiveness in patients with chronic migraine or episodic migraine, and is an ongoing study sponsored by Teva Pharmaceuticals Europe BV.1 These findings further offer insight into the treatment of migraine in real-world clinical practice. The interim findings were presented by Faisal Mohammad Amin, Associate Professor of Neurology at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark. Out of the total planned 1100 patients in PEARL, 389 patients are included in the interim analysis presented. These findings show that 54.7% of patients in the study had their monthly-migraine-days reduced by 50% or more, over the six-month period from the start of treatment. Addit
Brigade-M3 European Acquisition Corp. 2021 Annual Report24.6.2022 16:59:00 CEST | Press release
Brigade-M3 European Acquisition Corp. (the “Company”), a special purpose acquisition company that was incorporated on 21 April 2021 under the laws of the Cayman Islands as an exempted company with limited liability and is listed on Euronext Amsterdam, today published its annual report for the period 21 April 2021 to 31 December 2021. The full report can be downloaded from the Company’s website via the following link: https://www.brigadem3eac.com/documents IMPORTANT INFORMATION This press release contains information that qualifies as inside information within the meaning of Article 7(1) of the EU Market Abuse Regulation. DISCLAIMER This announcement is not for distribution or release, directly or indirectly, and should not be distributed in or sent into, the United States, Australia, Canada, Japan, the Cayman Islands or South Africa or any other jurisdiction in which such distribution or release would be unlawful or would require registration or other measures. This announcement does n
PUMA Kicks Off Its Largest Web3 Collaboration To Date, with 10KTF Shop24.6.2022 16:41:00 CEST | Press release
PUMA has entered New Tokyo, the virtual city 10KTF calls home. The shop is known for its streetwear offerings and is owned by Wagmi-san, a digital artisan whose collections and NFT community recently welcomed the global sports brand. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220624005314/en/ PUMA Kicks Off Its Largest Web3 Collaboration To Date, with 10KTF Shop PUMA has entered New Tokyo, the virtual city 10KTF calls home. The shop is known for its streetwear offerings and is owned by Wagmi-san, a digital artisan whose collections and NFT community recently welcomed the global sports brand. (Photo: Business Wire) News of the partnership was shared at an event hosted by 10KTF last night in New York. Their event was one of many hosted during the week of NFT.NYC, a conference attended by crypto industry professionals, traders, and other web3 enthusiasts. The official announcement confirms weeks of speculation after PUMA tw
Suzano outlines ESG milestone achievements and commitments at second annual ESG call24.6.2022 16:14:00 CEST | Press release
Suzano, the world’s largest hardwood pulp producer, today held its second annual ESG Call centered around its ambition to be a ‘regenerative company for a regenerative society’. Today’s ESG Call spotlighted measurable progress and ambitions across three core areas of action: climate change, biodiversity and social development. On Climate Change, the ACT initiative of the French Government and CDP scored Suzano ahead of its pulp and paper industry peers in virtually every metric. In 2021, Suzano brought forward its target for removing 40 million tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere from 2030 to 2025 which is being achieved through improvements to its industrial processes, such as systematically replacing the use of fossil fuels at its industrial plants with biomass, and through conversion of degraded land. As part of the company’s social commitments, Suzano launched a target in 2020 to lift 200,000 people out of poverty. This is more than pertinent, given that in Brazil, 10% of th
Kyowa Kirin Receives Positive CHMP Opinion for Use of CRYSVITA ® ▼ (burosumab) for the Treatment of Tumour-Induced Osteomalacia (TIO)24.6.2022 15:38:00 CEST | Press release
Kyowa Kirin Co., Ltd. (TSE: 4151, Kyowa Kirin) today announced that the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) of the European Medicines Agency (EMA) has recommended that CRYSVITA® (burosumab) be approved for the treatment of FGF23-related hypophosphataemia in Tumour-Induced Osteomalacia (TIO) associated with phosphaturic mesenchymal tumours (PMTs) that cannot be curatively resected or localised in children and adolescents aged 1 to 17 years and in adults.1 CRYSVITA is also already licensed for use in the rare disease X-Linked Hypophosphataemia (XLH), for children and adolescents between 1 and 17 years of age with radiographic evidence of bone disease, and in adults.2 Also known as oncogenic osteomalacia, TIO is an acquired disorder caused by typically small, slow-growing, benign PMTs.3,4 It is a rare condition with less than 1000 cases reported in the medical literature,4 which mainly affects adults and with a mean onset age of 40 – 45 years.3,5 TIO is associated with p