For Mary Kay, It’s Mission Critical: We’ve Accelerated Our Digital Innovation Efforts to Unleash the Full Potential of Women Entrepreneurs
Below is a statement by Deborah Gibbins, Chief Operating Officer, Mary Kay Inc., in celebration of International Women’s Day 2023.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230308005697/en/
Deborah Gibbins, Mary Kay’s Chief Operating Officer (Photo courtesy: Mary Kay Inc.)
37% of women worldwide do not have access to the internet. I know - I had to read that twice, too.1
37%! The number is staggering. It feels impossible. In our always-on, always-connected world, how can more than a third of all women in the world remain “unconnected”? This shocking reality - and its implications - fuel this year’s International Women’s Day theme: “DigitALL: Innovation and technology for gender equality.”
As Chief Operating Officer at Mary Kay, I know the role technology plays in all aspects of business – especially entrepreneurial business. To maximize the opportunity offered by technology, digital literacy skills are an absolute requirement for women entrepreneurs to fully participate in our global economy. They are also a necessity for civic and social engagement.
The foundations for the Fourth Industrial Revolution are digital and they are being laid right now. For all of us this revolution holds the tremendous opportunity to leverage technology and innovation to advance women entrepreneurship and equality. The time is now to ensure women reap the benefits of this digital transformation.
The digital economy won’t wait for anyone to catch up. Women’s exclusion from the digital world has shaved $1 trillion from the gross domestic product of low- and middle-income countries in the last decade.2 Once again, change is not happening fast enough for women.
We can fix this. We must fix this.
To reach their full potential, women business owners around the world must not only have access to the digital tools we take for granted, but they must have the right skills and training to use them effectively.
That’s why bridging the digital gender gap is so personal to us at Mary Kay, a company founded by a woman for women.
Our founder, Mary Kay Ash, had a vision to offer women unmatched entrepreneurial opportunities for advancement and personal success. That means something different today than it did in the ‘60s, but that same spirit remains. As an entrepreneurship development company, our focus is lifting women entrepreneurs up and addressing the barriers they face in establishing or growing their business. Digitalization is one of them.
At Mary Kay, we are determined to put women entrepreneurs at the center of the digital transformation.
We’ve accelerated our digital innovation efforts – this includes revolutionizing Mary Kay’s Independent Beauty Consultants’ (IBCs) ability to unleash their full potential through digital upskilling, the development and roll-out of innovative digital tools, from award-winning apps featuring augmented reality (AR), to connecting IBCs with their customers in more effective and seamless ways. We’re improving not only the experience for the independent sales force, but for their customers around the world.
Here are some of the latest examples of our commitment to empower Mary Kay’s independent sales force to harness the power of digital:
- In Europe, our award-winning “Link & Learn” is an integrated education platform comprising a robust learning curriculum IBCs can access anytime, anywhere. This self-paced, interactive learning system helps consultants put their dreams into action by providing a competency-based curriculum with relevant, expert-driven content while connecting them with a community of like-minded consultants. It includes content focused on the key areas of competency that are essential for success at each step of the career path. With this content, consultants strategically focus on key topics and acquire skills such as Selling Skills, Business Skills, Product Knowledge and Understanding the Mary Kay Way. Mary Kay has received numerous awards for this educational platform, including a coveted gold ranking in the Education category in the “2019 Spring Omni Awards.” In 2021 Mary Kay Poland received the “Innovative Company” award for the program from the Home & Market magazine, and in 2018 it was awarded a “Technology Excellence Award” from the Brandon Hall Group.
- The InTouch® platform is a one-stop shop mobile platform which provides millions of IBCs around the world 24-hour access to information, and services to effectively manage their Mary Kay business. It includes many features to enhance their knowledge of the beauty industry through product education, basic business skills through marketing and sales tools, and a professional network. With this app, IBCs can access product ingredient information and material to share with their customers or as a quick reference.
- The Salesforce.com platform has also recently been rolled out to our Mary Kay markets via the Mary Kay InTouch site, enabling a more seamless use of digital technology in day-to-day operations, including placing orders. IBCs receive 24/7 support from their local Mary Kay teams and save time to focus on tasks that add more value to their business.
- Mary Kay Mirror Me™ is our real-time makeover app using augmented reality to apply makeup trends and color products for real life application. After finding their perfect look, customers can add products to their shopping bag and connect with an IBC. Mirror Me™ is available in the North America, Europe and Latin America regions.
- Mary Kay® Skin Analyzer is a tool that brings skin care and technology together at one’s fingertips. It helps customers understand the unique characteristics of their skin and create a customized skin care routine and is available in the North America, Asia-Pacific and Latin America regions.
- And finally, the newly launched Mary Kay Interactive Catalog brings Mary Kay catalogs to life with easy product ordering, GIFs, videos, shareable wish lists, instant augmented reality makeovers and more. The catalog is available in the North America, Europe and Latin America regions.
We also believe in digital collaborations to help women entrepreneurs harness the power of digital throughout the world. To this end, we have joined forces with:
- The International Telecommunication Union (ITU). In collaboration with the Women Entrepreneurship Accelerator (WEA) and Mary Kay Global, ITU has launched the WEA Digital Innovation Challenge to build enabling eco-systems for women entrepreneurs. This challenge supports the commitment of WEA to empower 5 million women entrepreneurs by 2030. WEA is a multi-partnership initiative on women's entrepreneurship convening 6 United Nations agencies comprising International Telecommunication Union (ITU), International Labour Organization (ILO), International Trade Centre (ITC), the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), UN Global Compact (UNGC) and UN Women. The Challenge’s pitch finale will be held onMarch 13th during the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW67). An expert jury will select 10 digital best practices and solutions to create a more gender-inclusive eco-system for start-ups and scale-ups to address the obstacles women entrepreneurs face in developing technologies. The winners will gain access to the Digital Innovation Eco-System Program from ITU where they will receive capacity-building and specialized mentorship. Register to the event here.
- In support of WEA, ITU is also working to address the gender digital skills gap by providing women entrepreneurs access to free, high-quality learning modules required to advance in the digital economy. To be rolled out over the course of 2023, the initiative will be translated into several languages. Supported by Mary Kay, the project includes 17 online modules including general digital skills training for aspiring and experienced women entrepreneurs; digital skills for women entrepreneurs in the textiles and apparel sector, and management skills for women entrepreneurs in technology. These learning modules provide broad professional training for any woman entrepreneur regardless of her location or business focus.
- As a product of WEA, the International Trade Centre (ITC) launched its first-ever free online Entrepreneurship Certificate Programme in 2022 under its SheTrades program. Powered by Mary Kay, the 27-module digital curriculum, enriched with 200 videos, covers the 7 key stages of the entrepreneurial journey and is available in English, Spanish, French, and soon Arabic and Chinese.
- Mary Kay is also a proud commitment maker to the Generation Equality Action Coalition on Technology and Innovation as we believe in the power of multi-stakeholder partnerships to spark a more equal and diverse digital transformation.
And we’re just getting started. The digital revolution is underway. Let’s not miss out on this golden opportunity to enable women and girls to champion entrepreneurship in the digital age!
About Mary Kay
One of the original glass ceiling breakers, Mary Kay Ash founded her dream beauty company in 1963 with one goal: enriching women’s lives. That dream has blossomed into a multibillion-dollar company with millions of independent sales force members in more than 35 countries. As an entrepreneurship development company, Mary Kay is committed to empowering women on their journey through education, mentorship, advocacy, networking, and innovation. Mary Kay is dedicated to investing in the science behind beauty and manufacturing cutting-edge skincare, color cosmetics, nutritional supplements, and fragrances. Mary Kay believes in enriching lives today for a sustainable tomorrow, partnering with organizations from around the world focusing on promoting business excellence, supporting cancer research, advancing gender equality, protecting survivors from domestic abuse, beautifying our communities, and encouraging children to follow their dreams. Learn more at marykayglobal.com, find us on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn or follow us on Twitter.
1 ITU (2022). Facts and Figures 2022 - The gender digital divide (itu.int)
2 UN Women. Progress on the Sustainable Development Goals. The Gender Snapshot 2022.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230308005697/en/
Mary Kay Inc.
About Business Wire
24 Martin Lane
EC4R 0DR London
+44 20 7626 1982http://www.businesswire.co.uk
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Joe Kiani Wins 2023 Robert L. Wears Patient Safety Leadership Award30.3.2023 22:32:00 CEST | Press release
Joe Kiani, founder of the Patient Safety Movement Foundation (PSMF), has been awarded the 2023 Robert L. Wears Patient Safety Leadership Award in the individual category, along with Dr. Kathryn Kellogg, Vice President for Patient Safety at the MedStar Institute for Quality & Safety. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230330005761/en/ Joe Kiani, Founder of the Patient Safety Movement Foundation and Founder, CEO and Chairman of Masimo (Photo: Business Wire) The award represents recognition for Kiani’s work towards eliminating preventable medical harm and creating a safer healthcare system around the world. For over a decade, his global non-profit, the Patient Safety Movement Foundation has inspired thousands of clinicians around the world to make a public commitment to ZERO harm. The Foundation brought together the best patient safety minds around the world to create Actionable Evidence Based Practices to address t
Abbove Awarded as Best Wealth Technology Outsourcing Solution in Europe30.3.2023 21:00:00 CEST | Press release
Abbove, the wealth planning technology platform was awarded as ‘best technology Outsourcing solution’ at WealthBriefing European Awards 2023. This news coincides with the milestone of 1000 wealth advisors using the platform to guide 30,000 families in achieving their wealth goals. The WealthBriefing Awards have been designed to recognize outstanding organizations grouped by specialism and geography, which the panel of independent judges deemed to have ‘demonstrated innovation and excellence during the last year’. The Belgian wealth-tech is not stopping there, as it now has over 1,000 wealth advisors from private banks and family offices using its technology to place holistic wealth advice at the center of their client relationship. Banking groups such as BNP Paribas Fortis, Quintet Bank or Deutsche Bank in Belgium are trusting Abbove to improve the way they manage, collect and process their client wealth data. Commenting on the firm’s triumph, Guillaume Desclée, CEO, Abbove said: "It’s
Verimatrix Gains EMVCo Security Evaluation Certificate as Software Protection Tool for Mobile Payment Apps30.3.2023 17:45:00 CEST | Press release
Regulatory News: Verimatrix, (Euronext Paris: VMX) (Paris:VMX), the leader in powering the modern connected world with people-centered security, today announced that its Verimatrix XTD Code Shield toolkit for Android mobile applications received an EMVCo Security Evaluation Certificate as a Software Protection Tool (SPT). The designation demonstrates that Verimatrix’s technology mobile app security tool meets stringent payment security requirements. EMVCo is the global technical body that facilitates the worldwide interoperability and acceptance of secure payment transactions by managing and evolving the EMV® Specifications and related testing processes. Verimatrix gained the Security Evaluation Certificate following the completion of a robust evaluation by Riscure, a leading mobile security lab accredited by EMVCo. As one of Verimatrix’s latest efforts to further streamline the go-to-market process for Android app customers, the EMVCo Security Evaluation Certificate stands as a likely
H.I.G. Capital Acquires Synecore Limited and Meesons Futures Limited to Create the Andwis Group30.3.2023 17:03:00 CEST | Press release
H.I.G. Capital (“H.I.G.”), a leading global alternative asset investment firm with $55 billion of equity capital under management, is pleased to announce that one of its affiliates has acquired Synecore Limited (“Synecore”) and Meesons Futures Limited (“Meesons”). Synecore and Meesons will join forces with H.I.G.’s existing portfolio companies, CPS and Classic Lifts, to form the Andwis Group (the “Andwis” or the “Andwis Group”), a family of best-in-class technical services providers. The financial terms of the transactions have not been disclosed. Synecore specialises in the delivery and maintenance of HVAC, electrical, air conditioning, and refrigeration services to the hospitality, retail, leisure, and commercial sectors. Synecore, and its network of engineers and suppliers, provides both maintenance and installation services, often supporting site rollout and refurbishment programs. Founded in 1864, Meesons is a physical security and entrance control solutions provider for both crit
EMIT IMAGING Announces Appointment of Dr. Matthew Silva as Chief Executive Officer30.3.2023 16:10:00 CEST | Press release
EMIT IMAGING, Inc. (“EMIT” or the “Company”) is pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Matthew Silva as the company's new Chief Executive Officer. EMIT IMAGINGis the world leader in Cryo-Fluorescence Tomography (CFT) imaging, an innovative imaging technology used by pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and academic researchers worldwide. EMIT’s imaging platform, XerraTM, is a state-of-the-art technology that provides high-sensitivity and high-resolution 3D fluorescence images of biological samples. Dr. Silva brings diverse experience and expertise in both science and business to the role, specifically drawing on technical training in biomedical engineering and previous executive positions in pharma and scientific services. Recently, Dr. Silva served as CEO of Invicro, LLC, an imaging contract research organization and subsidiary of REALM IDx/Konica Minolta. "We are thrilled to have Dr. Silva join the EMIT team," said Dr. Jack Hoppin, EMIT’sfounder and Chairman of the Board. "Matt has the