EMEA Enterprises Increase Cloud Storage Spending as Cloud Adoption Heightens and Hidden Fees Bite
Wasabi Technologies is today releasing Part 3 of Wasabi’s 2023 Global Cloud Storage Index, analysing the key findings from EMEA-based organisations. The series, commissioned by Wasabi Technologies and conducted by Vanson Bourne, seeks to uncover the changing attitudes toward public cloud storage adoption, the factors that influence storage buying decisions, and the top priorities when it comes to budget, use cases, security, and cloud data migration.
“EMEA is an incredibly important segment of the overall cloud storage market. This global region and market have unique security, data movement, data sovereignty and accessibility requirements,” said Andrew Smith, senior manager of strategy and market intelligence at Wasabi Technologies, and a former IDC analyst. “These unique requirements can add complexity to cloud infrastructure decisions and migration initiatives. Nonetheless, our survey data indicates EMEA is poised to continue expanding both stored volumes in the cloud, as well as their cloud storage budgets, as we move further into 2023.”
According to the survey findings, 83% of EMEA respondents expect to increase the amount of data they store in the public cloud in the next year, and 81% plan to increase their budgets for public cloud storage. Additionally, the survey found that EMEA organisations are prioritising placement of data in cloud (both public and private) environments, as opposed to traditional IT environments. However, many EMEA organisations struggle to manage the fee and cost structures associated with public cloud storage.
EMEA prioritising cloud storage over on-premises storage, but security concerns remain paramount
- 87% of enterprises migrated storage from on-premises to public cloud in 2022, with Germany and the Netherlands exceeding the EMEA average at 98%, and 97% respectively. UK and France came in below the regional average at 78% and 85% respectively.
- 90% of EMEA enterprises expect the amount of data they store in the cloud to remain the same or increase in 2023.
- More resilient infrastructure (43%), avoiding costs on refreshing old or purchasing new hardware (40%), and need to scale resources (38%) were the top three factors driving migration from on-premises to cloud. France stood out from the rest of EMEA respondents, with access to global regions chosen as their top factor (44%)
- When it comes to cloud migration challenges by country, UK and Germany respondents both indicated that meeting compliance and regulatory requirements was their top issue.
- Regarding the specific regulatory requirements on the mind of EMEA respondents: GDPR was far and away the number one choice for UK organizations. France and Germany both ranked ISO standards at their top requirement
- In France 40% of the companies stated that the lack of cloud platform experience/insufficient training is their biggest security concern. UK respondents ranked unauthorised access or insight into one's data as their top security concern. Germany ranked lack of storage identity and access management policies/tools as their number one cloud storage security concern. And finally, respondents from Netherlands chose lack of native backup, DR, and data protection tools as their primary security concern.
- When it comes to cloud storage vendor selection criteria, EMEA also put security at the top of the list, ranking “data protection, security and compliance features/capabilities” as the number one consideration.
- However, there are important nuances by country. UK respondents indicated price / total cost of ownership is their top vendor selection consideration. In contrast, sustainability was the primary vendor selection criteria for France and Netherlands respondents.
EMEA enterprises plan to increase spending on cloud storage, but struggle with managing cost and fees
- EMEA enterprises allocate an average of 14% of their total IT budget to cloud storage, compared to the global average of 12%, and 81% plan to increase their cloud storage budget in 2023.
- IT initiatives (51%), business initiatives (47%) and new data security, backup and recovery requirements (43%) were the top three reasons driving budget increases in public cloud storage over the next 12 months.
- 52% of the EMEA organisations surveyed reported going over budget on public cloud storage spending over the last year, with the UK being the most efficient (only 45% of UK enterprises went over budget).
- Top reasons for EMEA orgs exceeding budget included: storage usage was higher than anticipated (39%); data operations fees were higher than forecast (37%); additional applications were migrated to the cloud (37%); storage list prices increased (37%); higher data retrieval (35%); API calls (31%); egress fees (26%) and more data deletion (26%) fees than expected.
- Overall, EMEA respondents indicate that 48% of their cloud storage bill is allocated to fees, and 51% allocated to storage capacity, on average. Netherlands indicated the highest proportional spend on fees at 51%, UK indicated the lowest at 45%.
“Today’s enterprises are required to be agile, and the insights gained from data lend a competitive advantage,” said Smith. “However, while the perceived value of enterprise data might be limitless, storing and accessing that data, on the other hand, has a very real cost. Unfortunately, the complexity and uncertainty of cloud storage fees can be a major challenge, and a key reason why more than half of organisations exceeded their cloud storage budget in 2022. This highlights a significant pain point for enterprises, and an opportunity to improve as they assess cloud storage spending for 2023.”
To read part one of the 2023 Wasabi Global Cloud Storage Index in its entirety, please visit our landing page.
Wasabi commissioned the independent market research agency Vanson Bourne to conduct research into cloud storage. The study surveyed 1,000 IT decision-makers who had at least some involvement in or responsibility for public cloud storage purchases in their organization. Of the 1000 people surveyed, 350 (35%) were based in EMEA (specifically, France, Germany, the Netherlands and the UK).
The research took place in November and December 2022 from organisations with more than 100 employees across all public and private sectors. All interviews were conducted using a rigorous multi-level screening process to ensure that only suitable candidates were given the opportunity to participate.
About Wasabi Technologies
Wasabi provides simple and affordable hot cloud storage for businesses all over the world. It enables organizations to store and instantly access an unlimited amount of data with no complex tiers or egress or API fees, delivering predictable costs that save money and industry leading security and performance businesses can count on. Trusted by tens of thousands of customers worldwide, Wasabi has been recognized as one of technology’s fastest-growing and most visionary companies. Created by Carbonite co-founders and cloud storage pioneers David Friend and Jeff Flowers, Wasabi is a privately held company based in Boston. Wasabi is a Proud Partner of the Boston Red Sox, and the Official Cloud Storage Partner of Liverpool Football Club and the Boston Bruins.
Follow and connect with Wasabi on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and The Bucket.
About Vanson Bourne
Vanson Bourne is an independent specialist in market research for the technology sector. Their reputation for robust and credible research-based analysis is founded upon rigorous research principles and their ability to seek the opinions of senior decision makers across technical and business functions, in all business sectors and all major markets.
For more information, visit: https://www.vansonbourne.com
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230301005122/en/
+44 7491 992512
About Business Wire
24 Martin Lane
EC4R 0DR London
+44 20 7626 1982http://www.businesswire.co.uk
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
World’s Major Economies Playing Catch-Up as Widespread Adoption Drives Global Real-Time Payments Growth – ACI Worldwide Report29.3.2023 03:30:00 CEST | Press release
New sophisticated use cases for consumers and businesses are driving global RTP volumes to record highs, with 195.0B RTP transactions recorded globally in 2022 — a YoY growth of 63.2% — according to the 2023 Prime Time for Real-Time report, published by ACI Worldwide (NASDAQ: ACIW), a global leader in mission-critical, real-time payments software, in partnership with GlobalData, a leading data and analytics company. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230328005314/en/ Prime Time for Real-Time 2023 : Key Facts and Figures at a Glance (Graphic: Business Wire) 511.7B real-time transactions globally are forecast by 2027, representing a 2022-2027 compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 21.3%. By 2027, RTPs are expected to account for 27.8% of all electronic payments globally. India remains the undisputed RTP leader, with a staggering 89.5B transactions in 2022 and a YoY growth rate of 76.8%. India accounted for 46% of al
AGCO’s 2022 Sustainability Report Shows Solid Progress28.3.2023 19:00:00 CEST | Press release
AGCO (NYSE: AGCO), a worldwide manufacturer and distributor of agricultural equipment, infrastructure and precision ag technology, today released its 2022 Sustainability Report. The report showcases AGCO’s progress on environmental, social and governance issues as it strives to deliver farmer-focused solutions to sustainably feed our world. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230328005749/en/ AGCO is delivering on its sustainability commitments, from industry-leading innovation to improve sustainability outcomes for farmers, to decarbonizing our products and operations, to offering our talented, diverse employees a safer, more engaging workplace. (Photo: Business Wire) “AGCO is delivering on its sustainability commitments, from industry-leading innovation to improve sustainability outcomes for farmers, to decarbonizing our products and operations, to offering our talented, diverse employees a safer, more engaging
Lunaphore Expands Its COMET™ Portfolio to Become the First Universal, End-to-end Spatial Biology Solution28.3.2023 17:00:00 CEST | Press release
Lunaphore, a Swiss life sciences company developing technology to enable spatial biology in every laboratory, today announced the launch of a full expansion of its product offering to provide a universal, end-to-end spatial biology solution, answering the needs of the scientific community from early discovery to late-stage translational and clinical research. This milestone marks the launch of the enhanced version of the company’s revolutionary COMET™ platform and its comprehensive product suite, which includes a wide range of tools and applications across all research and drug development stages. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230328005685/en/ Lunaphore's universal, end-to-end spatial biology solution portfolio. (Photo: Lunaphore) Lunaphore’s multiplex immunofluorescence (mIF) solution portfolio now includes the latest version of the hyperplex, high-throughput, fully automated COMET™ instrument, providing un
Yokohama Business Events Website Redesign: Discover Yokohama in the Here and Now With Technical-Visits* and New Videos!28.3.2023 17:00:00 CEST | Press release
The Yokohama Convention & Visitors Bureau (YCVB) website is an important point of contact for convention organizers and incentive-travel planners in Japan and around the world. Today, we are announcing that our website has been completely redesigned and now offers new and exclusive experiences for business events—experiences that can be had only in the city of Yokohama. On our new website, organizers can find convenient ways to add value to their conferences and attract more participants as people return to in-person events. Yokohama is a global leader in international conferences with numerous event facilities, excellent accommodations, and tourist attractions conveniently located within the Yokohama bay area. Given the growing demand for close interaction with local communities and the many different types of business events, we have created a new web page featuring technical-visit programs and have given sustainability a larger place in our content. Additionally, compelling videos o
Exclusively for Business Event Participants: Sustainable experiences available only in Yokohama28.3.2023 17:00:00 CEST | Press release
Now, more than ever, a sustainable approach is essential for successful international conferences and events. At Yokohama Convention & Visitors Bureau (YCVB), we value sustainability in all our activities and do our utmost to contribute to a greener, more inclusive, and culturally diverse world. We have therefore created four amazing sustainable experiences, which are exclusively for business event participants, and unique to the city of Yokohama. Yokohama Mobile Yoga Experience yoga anytime and anywhere in the vibrant metropolis of Yokohama. This wellness activity can be held anywhere—parks, conference rooms, or exhibition halls. Inspired by Yokohama’s natural beauty, the yoga sessions use the calming sound of waves, delicate aromas, and images of Yokohama’s beautiful sea to create a relaxing and meditative experience for business event participants. To ensure accessibility to all, the sessions can be arranged for any level of experience, can be held in Japanese and English, and don’t