Desktop Metal Begins Global Shipments of Shop System for Mid-Volume Metal 3D Printing Manufacturing
Desktop Metal, a leader in mass production and turnkey additive manufacturing solutions, today announced the Shop System™, the world’s first metal binder jetting system designed for machine shops, is being manufactured in volume and shipped to customers around the world. With installations underway throughout North America, EMEA and APAC, manufacturers such as Jade Creaction LDA in Portugal, Wall Colmonoy Limited in the UK, Alpha Precision Group in the USA, E.A.C. in France, and Hong Kong Productivity Council (HKPC) in Hong Kong, are leveraging high-quality binder jetting technology to print end-use metal parts in volume and at part costs unattainable with legacy additive manufacturing processes.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201119005313/en/
The Desktop Metal Shop System™, the world's first metal binder jetting system designed for machine shops, is being manufactured in volume and shipped to customers around the world. (Photo: Business Wire)
First unveiled last November at the 2019 Formnext trade conference in Frankfurt, Germany, the Shop System is designed to bring metal additive manufacturing to machine and job shops with an affordable, turnkey solution that achieves exceptional surface finish parts with rich feature detail at speeds up to 10 times those of legacy powder bed fusion additive manufacturing (AM) technologies. With the Shop System, users can now print end-use metal parts for use in a variety of industries spanning from automotive and oil & gas to consumer products and electronics.
“The Shop System offers the most cost-effective, highest resolution mid-volume production solutions in the industry. Its high-speed, single-pass print engine introduces high-quality binder jetting to an entirely new market of machine shops, casting foundries, and powder metal component suppliers,” said Ric Fulop, CEO and co-founder of Desktop Metal. “With the Shop System, engineers and plant operators can now eliminate many of the constraints previously imposed by traditional manufacturing methods, like CNC machining, and achieve affordable, reliable, and flexible batch production of complex parts.”
Many early adopters of the technology are already realizing the potential for expanding their manufacturing efforts.
- Jade Creaction LDA is a leading European company specializing in luxury leather goods, jewelry and watches for several French, Italian and American luxury brands. “Our luxury fashion clients are renowned global brands in the industry, and the Shop System will allow us to quickly respond to their needs with faster production solutions,” said Christophe Pereira, CEO of Jade. “3D printing allows us freedom from multi-stage manufacturing tooling combined with technology innovation that gives our clients’ designers unlimited creative power.”
- AFPMA de l'Ain of France is the training center of the UIMM (French metallurgical industries association) of Ain French region, with the mission to provide skills that meet the needs of industrial companies in the Ain region, through initial and continuous training. “AFPMA has invested in metal additive manufacturing technologies from Desktop Metal in order to deliver the best technical training in AM,” said Patrice Mayoral, AFPMA CEO. “The Shop System and the Studio System are two complementary machines that will allow us to train operators and realize demonstrators to show trainees, thanks to real applications, the possibilities of each machine and technology to understand the impact of the design and process parameters on the global value chain. Being among the first adopters allows us to be part of European and French national working groups in order to develop qualification and certification for additive manufacturing and validate the training processes to be aligned with the industry needs.”
- E.A.C., based in France, started its development in 2002 with Swimwear and Lingerie markets. The company is now more focused on the Luxury markets such as leather, cosmetics, packaging, wines & spirits, and jewelry with worldwide clientele. “By enabling mass production of amazingly intricate geometries, metal binder jetting is about to transform the luxury goods space,” said Patrick Chouvet, Manager E.A.C. “As a pioneer in the use of additive manufacturing in luxury goods for some of the world’s most valuable and iconic brands, E.A.C. has been exploring metal Binder Jetting technology over the past four years. After a comprehensive review and benchmarking of the competitive landscape, we chose the Desktop Metal Shop System for its unparalleled print quality, throughput, and affordability.”
- Cosmind, based in Italy, is a technologically-advanced company with experience and know-how in the fields of sheet metal processing, metallic carpentry, high precision mechanical processing, sheet metal forming and assembly. “Cosmind is highly focused on technological innovations. Throughout the years, we have constantly introduced the latest production technologies,” said Carmine Donisi, CEO of Cosmind. “We strongly believe that Blinder Jetting 3D printing technology is the natural evolution of the manufacturing sector. In Desktop Metal, we have found all the characteristics of quality and innovation that will certainly allow us to diversify our production.”
- VTT Technical Research Center, based in Finland, is a visionary research, development and innovation organization that drives sustainable growth and tackles the biggest global challenges of our time, turning them into opportunities for business growth. “We are excited to work with this new metal Binder Jetting technology that has matured from lab to production,” said Pasi Puukko, Research Team Leader, Advanced Manufacturing at VTT. “We’ll first focus on applications benefitting from this technology, but on the longer run, we are certainly looking also for new material solutions, widening the range of metal AM materials and therefore, better serving our customers’ needs.”
- CETIM, the Technical Centre for Mechanical Engineering Industry, is the leading French leader in the fields of mechanical engineering innovation and R&D, and one of the French leaders on metal additive manufacturing development. “3D printing allows CETIM to design parts with new properties and functionalization like thermal behavior, lightening, customization, electrical performances or tribology optimization,” said Pierre Chalandon, Chief Operations Officer for materials, processes and industrialization at CETIM. “Metal binder jetting technology is opening new opportunities -- no tooling process, increasing production capacities, decreasing the global cost, and allowing new materials. Desktop Metal technologies, including the new Shop System, completes our additive manufacturing machines park. We chose to be one the first Shop System adopters, because we are convinced it is now possible for metal binder jetting to decrease the global cost, increase the production rate, increase the quality and definition and accuracy, develop new materials and simulate the process -- especially sintering -- to control the capability and the quality.”
Delivering High-quality Binder Jetting to the Machine Shop Market
The Shop System offers reliable production of serial batches of complex, end-use metal parts in a fraction of the time and cost of conventional manufacturing and comparably priced AM technologies. Featuring the highest resolution and most advanced print engine in the binder jetting market, the Shop System is a complete end-to-end solution that includes a single pass, binder jetting printer; a drying oven for hardening green parts prior to depowdering; a powder station for depowdering parts with built-in powder recycling; Desktop Metal’s furnace designed for accessible, industrial-strength sintering; and integrated powder handling accessories and workflow. This turnkey solution together seamlessly integrates with existing shop operations.
Key Shop System benefits include:
- Easy to use and operate. Designed with the modern machine shop in mind, the Shop System produces parts with excellent surface finish and resolution at the push of a button through its easy-to-use software interface. It features engineered powders and processing parameters optimized for use with the system to deliver exceptional quality and ensure repeatability.
- High productivity. Featuring a high-speed, single pass print carriage, the Shop System produces high-quality, complex metal parts up to 10 times the speed and at a fraction of the cost of legacy PBF additive manufacturing technologies, amplifying customers' existing output with up to hundreds of end-use metal parts per day. Speeds up to 800 cc/hour at 75-micron layer thickness, enables batches of tens or hundreds of complex printed parts in as little as five hours.
- Superior print quality. Customers can print dense, complex parts with incredibly fine feature detail and surface finishes as low as four-micron roughness average (Ra) out of the furnace due to the Shop System's high-resolution printhead - made possible through droplet sizes as small as 1.2pL, with drop multiplexing up to 6pL.
- Rich feature detail with exceptional surface finish. Achieved through an advanced single pass printhead with 1600 native DPI, the Shop System delivers 400% higher resolution than legacy binder jetting systems. Reliable print quality is supported by the printhead’s 5x nozzle redundancy -- 25 percent higher redundancy than comparable binder jetting systems.
Binder Jetting Technology Ushers in Additive Manufacturing 2.0
As a solution for mid-volume parts production through AM, the Shop System is a critical element of the Additive Manufacturing 2.0 revolution that is reshaping the future of manufacturing. As the emergence of AM 2.0 enables throughput, repeatability, and part costs that can compete with conventional manufacturing processes, the additive manufacturing sector is expected to surge from $12 billion in 2019 to an estimated value of $146 billion by the end of the decade1.
“Many of the benefits that have long been touted for 3D printing - mass customization, complex geometries, lightweighting, assembly consolidation, tool-free manufacturing, digital inventories, and more - all come bundled as part of AM 2.0,” said Fulop. “Taken together, this suite of benefits represents a new approach to the way metal parts are being designed, prototyped and now, with the Shop System, manufactured.”
Shop System Availability
With variable build box configurations ranging from 4L, 8L, 12L, and 16L, the Shop System is designed to scale throughput to each shop’s needs. Pricing starts at $166,500 for the 4L printer (350 x 220 x 50mm) and up to $241,500 for the 16L printer (350 x 220 x 200mm). In addition with the Shop System’s end-to-end hardware solution, customers will gain access to Desktop Metal’s Fabricate MFG™ build preparation software, as well as to the Company’s newly-released Live Sinter™ application, a sintering process simulation software that corrects for shrinkage and distortion of binder jet 3D printed parts during sintering, minimizing process trial and error while improving accuracy. For more information on the Shop System, visit https://www.desktopmetal.com/products/shop.
About Desktop Metal
Desktop Metal, Inc., based in Burlington, Massachusetts, is accelerating the transformation of manufacturing with end-to-end 3D printing solutions. Founded in 2015 by leaders in advanced manufacturing, metallurgy, and robotics, the company is addressing the unmet challenges of speed, cost, and quality to make 3D printing an essential tool for engineers and manufacturers around the world. Desktop Metal was selected as one of the world’s 30 most promising Technology Pioneers by the World Economic Forum; named to MIT Technology Review’s list of 50 Smartest Companies; and recognized among the most important innovations in engineering in Popular Science’s “Best of What’s New.” For more information, visit www.desktopmetal.com.
Based on Wohlers Report 2020, Wohlers Associates
Desktop Metal, Inc.
Lynda McKinney, 978-224-1282
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Global Electronic Toll Collection and Road Usage Charging market to reach €490 billion in 20302.12.2020 17:06:00 CET | Press release
As the UK government just announced it is considering Road Usage Charging (RUC) as a funding solution for its road network, RUC schemes are being pushed ahead around the world. In the US, Asia, Africa and Oceania, electronic tolling is becoming crucial to bridge financing gaps and substitute declining gas tax receipts. PTOLEMUS Consulting Group forecasts that 874 million global subscriptions in ETC/RUC schemes will be active by 2030, collecting over €490 billion every year by 2030. PTOLEMUS’ Electronic Tolling Global Study is the 3rd edition of its highly popular Electronic Tolling series of reports, and represents the most comprehensive review of the global ETC/RUC market to-date, including 950 pages of insights, data, analyses and forecasts. PTOLEMUS expects the global ETC/RUC market to grow at 13% CAGR to 2030, driven by multiple factors including: environmental policy, economic development, interoperability schemes and growth of cashless payments, propelled by COVID-19. Dr Andrew J
Continental Structural Plastics Perfects Carbon Fiber RTM Process, Launches Production Programs2.12.2020 16:27:00 CET | Press release
After winning a JEC Innovation Award in 2016 for its Lincoln MKS Decklid Concept – a TCA Ultra Lite® outer panel and a carbon fiber RTM prototype inner – Continental Structural Plastics (CSP) has fine-tuned its carbon fiber RTM (CF-RTM) process to the point that a premium automaker will be using the technology for closures on future vehicle platforms. These doors will feature both inner and outer panels as well as structural reinforcements molded using CSP’s advanced CF-RTM process. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201202005708/en/ The new carbon fiber RTM press installed at the CSP facility in Palmela, Portugal, will soon be running the company's first commercial applications of this technology. (Photo: Business Wire) When CSP set up its Center of Excellence for Lightweight Technologies and Carbon Fiber Processes in Pouancé, France, in 2013, the goal was to develop processes to make the use of carbon fiber in
Pricefx Reimagines Pricing Software with Groundbreaking Product Enhancements2.12.2020 15:30:00 CET | Press release
Pricefx, the global leader in cloud-native pricing software, today announced the new face of its pricing platform. Unity UI is a sleek, dynamic new look for all of Pricefx’s industry-leading pricing modules. The company has also launched PriceOptimizer AI, a next-generation price optimization solution powered by transparent and predictive machine learning and multi-agent AI. Finally, Pricefx introduced new Accelerators, pre-defined solution building blocks that quickly and easily incorporate best practice functionality. With these new enhancements, Pricefx is now more streamlined, powerful and agile than ever before. Now, businesses using Pricefx can get more done and price more effectively with fewer clicks. “2020 revealed the critical importance of pricing in a digital-first world and Pricefx invested heavily in developing and refining our pricing platform to ensure that businesses around the world can successfully use our software to build a path to growth,” said Marcin Cichon, CEO
Soar the Skies with Demon Avenger in New MapleStory M Update2.12.2020 15:00:00 CET | Press release
Starting today, Maplers can take to the sky with the new warrior class, Demon Avenger, in Nexon’s free-to-play mobile MMORPG, MapleStory M! This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201202005043/en/ MapleStory M (Graphic: Business Wire) Soaring through the battlefield with Demon Wings, the Demon Avenger joins the fray with an Exceed System that deals excessive damage. Using HP to cast skills, the Demon Avenger can easily recover using various healing abilities, including Blood Pact, in the midst of battle. A selection of limited-time events are also available, including: Demon Avenger Celebratory Log-in Reward Event: Players logging in from today through December 7, 2020 will receive a special gift to help their character level up once per account. Demon Avenger Growth Support Event: Until January 11, 2021, players who reach a certain level will receive additional in-game items useful for a specific character’s level-up
Uber, Rivian, JetBlue, Cabify, and Boom Supersonic Sign The Climate Pledge2.12.2020 15:00:00 CET | Press release
Today, during Web Summit 2020, Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) and Global Optimism announced that Boom Supersonic, Cabify, JetBlue, Rivian, and Uberhave joined The Climate Pledge, a commitment to be net-zero carbon by 2040—a decade ahead of the Paris Agreement’s goal of 2050. Signatories to The Climate Pledge agree to: Measure and report greenhouse gas emissions on a regular basis; Implement decarbonization strategies in line with the Paris Agreement through real business changes and innovations, including efficiency improvements, renewable energy, materials reductions, and other carbon-emission elimination strategies; Neutralize any remaining emissions with additional, quantifiable, real, permanent, and socially beneficial offsets to achieve net-zero annual carbon emissions by 2040. “By signing The Climate Pledge, companies around the world are making a bold commitment to help protect our planet from the devastating impacts of climate change,” said Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder and CEO. “The trans
DXC Technology and Microsoft Collaborate to Power a More Personalized, Intelligent, Secure and Modern Workplace Experience for Global Enterprises2.12.2020 14:30:00 CET | Press release
DXC Technology (NYSE: DXC) today announced an expanded strategic collaboration with Microsoft to deliver a more personalized, intelligent, secure and modern workplace experience to help companies to address rapidly evolving business challenges and customer and employee needs. DXC and Microsoft are joining forces to deliver a solution and suite of services that will help companies to empower their employees with a modern workplace experience and to ensure customers’ employees can seamlessly and securely work anytime, anywhere and on any device. Called DXC MyWorkStyle™, DXC brings the largest install base of workplace customers and the blueprint for the modern workplace experience. As part of the collaboration, Microsoft and DXC will work together to co-develop and deliver the solution, leveraging artificial intelligence and machine learning from millions of data points to create a modern workplace experience. DXC and Microsoft will bring together leading technology, engineering talent a