Desktop Metal Begins Global Shipments of Shop System for Mid-Volume Metal 3D Printing Manufacturing
Desktop Metal, a leader in mass production and turnkey additive manufacturing solutions, today announced the Shop System™, the world’s first metal binder jetting system designed for machine shops, is being manufactured in volume and shipped to customers around the world. With installations underway throughout North America, EMEA and APAC, manufacturers such as Jade Creaction LDA in Portugal, Wall Colmonoy Limited in the UK, Alpha Precision Group in the USA, E.A.C. in France, and Hong Kong Productivity Council (HKPC) in Hong Kong, are leveraging high-quality binder jetting technology to print end-use metal parts in volume and at part costs unattainable with legacy additive manufacturing processes.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201119005313/en/
The Desktop Metal Shop System™, the world's first metal binder jetting system designed for machine shops, is being manufactured in volume and shipped to customers around the world. (Photo: Business Wire)
First unveiled last November at the 2019 Formnext trade conference in Frankfurt, Germany, the Shop System is designed to bring metal additive manufacturing to machine and job shops with an affordable, turnkey solution that achieves exceptional surface finish parts with rich feature detail at speeds up to 10 times those of legacy powder bed fusion additive manufacturing (AM) technologies. With the Shop System, users can now print end-use metal parts for use in a variety of industries spanning from automotive and oil & gas to consumer products and electronics.
“The Shop System offers the most cost-effective, highest resolution mid-volume production solutions in the industry. Its high-speed, single-pass print engine introduces high-quality binder jetting to an entirely new market of machine shops, casting foundries, and powder metal component suppliers,” said Ric Fulop, CEO and co-founder of Desktop Metal. “With the Shop System, engineers and plant operators can now eliminate many of the constraints previously imposed by traditional manufacturing methods, like CNC machining, and achieve affordable, reliable, and flexible batch production of complex parts.”
Many early adopters of the technology are already realizing the potential for expanding their manufacturing efforts.
- Jade Creaction LDA is a leading European company specializing in luxury leather goods, jewelry and watches for several French, Italian and American luxury brands. “Our luxury fashion clients are renowned global brands in the industry, and the Shop System will allow us to quickly respond to their needs with faster production solutions,” said Christophe Pereira, CEO of Jade. “3D printing allows us freedom from multi-stage manufacturing tooling combined with technology innovation that gives our clients’ designers unlimited creative power.”
- AFPMA de l'Ain of France is the training center of the UIMM (French metallurgical industries association) of Ain French region, with the mission to provide skills that meet the needs of industrial companies in the Ain region, through initial and continuous training. “AFPMA has invested in metal additive manufacturing technologies from Desktop Metal in order to deliver the best technical training in AM,” said Patrice Mayoral, AFPMA CEO. “The Shop System and the Studio System are two complementary machines that will allow us to train operators and realize demonstrators to show trainees, thanks to real applications, the possibilities of each machine and technology to understand the impact of the design and process parameters on the global value chain. Being among the first adopters allows us to be part of European and French national working groups in order to develop qualification and certification for additive manufacturing and validate the training processes to be aligned with the industry needs.”
- E.A.C., based in France, started its development in 2002 with Swimwear and Lingerie markets. The company is now more focused on the Luxury markets such as leather, cosmetics, packaging, wines & spirits, and jewelry with worldwide clientele. “By enabling mass production of amazingly intricate geometries, metal binder jetting is about to transform the luxury goods space,” said Patrick Chouvet, Manager E.A.C. “As a pioneer in the use of additive manufacturing in luxury goods for some of the world’s most valuable and iconic brands, E.A.C. has been exploring metal Binder Jetting technology over the past four years. After a comprehensive review and benchmarking of the competitive landscape, we chose the Desktop Metal Shop System for its unparalleled print quality, throughput, and affordability.”
- Cosmind, based in Italy, is a technologically-advanced company with experience and know-how in the fields of sheet metal processing, metallic carpentry, high precision mechanical processing, sheet metal forming and assembly. “Cosmind is highly focused on technological innovations. Throughout the years, we have constantly introduced the latest production technologies,” said Carmine Donisi, CEO of Cosmind. “We strongly believe that Blinder Jetting 3D printing technology is the natural evolution of the manufacturing sector. In Desktop Metal, we have found all the characteristics of quality and innovation that will certainly allow us to diversify our production.”
- VTT Technical Research Center, based in Finland, is a visionary research, development and innovation organization that drives sustainable growth and tackles the biggest global challenges of our time, turning them into opportunities for business growth. “We are excited to work with this new metal Binder Jetting technology that has matured from lab to production,” said Pasi Puukko, Research Team Leader, Advanced Manufacturing at VTT. “We’ll first focus on applications benefitting from this technology, but on the longer run, we are certainly looking also for new material solutions, widening the range of metal AM materials and therefore, better serving our customers’ needs.”
- CETIM, the Technical Centre for Mechanical Engineering Industry, is the leading French leader in the fields of mechanical engineering innovation and R&D, and one of the French leaders on metal additive manufacturing development. “3D printing allows CETIM to design parts with new properties and functionalization like thermal behavior, lightening, customization, electrical performances or tribology optimization,” said Pierre Chalandon, Chief Operations Officer for materials, processes and industrialization at CETIM. “Metal binder jetting technology is opening new opportunities -- no tooling process, increasing production capacities, decreasing the global cost, and allowing new materials. Desktop Metal technologies, including the new Shop System, completes our additive manufacturing machines park. We chose to be one the first Shop System adopters, because we are convinced it is now possible for metal binder jetting to decrease the global cost, increase the production rate, increase the quality and definition and accuracy, develop new materials and simulate the process -- especially sintering -- to control the capability and the quality.”
Delivering High-quality Binder Jetting to the Machine Shop Market
The Shop System offers reliable production of serial batches of complex, end-use metal parts in a fraction of the time and cost of conventional manufacturing and comparably priced AM technologies. Featuring the highest resolution and most advanced print engine in the binder jetting market, the Shop System is a complete end-to-end solution that includes a single pass, binder jetting printer; a drying oven for hardening green parts prior to depowdering; a powder station for depowdering parts with built-in powder recycling; Desktop Metal’s furnace designed for accessible, industrial-strength sintering; and integrated powder handling accessories and workflow. This turnkey solution together seamlessly integrates with existing shop operations.
Key Shop System benefits include:
- Easy to use and operate. Designed with the modern machine shop in mind, the Shop System produces parts with excellent surface finish and resolution at the push of a button through its easy-to-use software interface. It features engineered powders and processing parameters optimized for use with the system to deliver exceptional quality and ensure repeatability.
- High productivity. Featuring a high-speed, single pass print carriage, the Shop System produces high-quality, complex metal parts up to 10 times the speed and at a fraction of the cost of legacy PBF additive manufacturing technologies, amplifying customers' existing output with up to hundreds of end-use metal parts per day. Speeds up to 800 cc/hour at 75-micron layer thickness, enables batches of tens or hundreds of complex printed parts in as little as five hours.
- Superior print quality. Customers can print dense, complex parts with incredibly fine feature detail and surface finishes as low as four-micron roughness average (Ra) out of the furnace due to the Shop System's high-resolution printhead - made possible through droplet sizes as small as 1.2pL, with drop multiplexing up to 6pL.
- Rich feature detail with exceptional surface finish. Achieved through an advanced single pass printhead with 1600 native DPI, the Shop System delivers 400% higher resolution than legacy binder jetting systems. Reliable print quality is supported by the printhead’s 5x nozzle redundancy -- 25 percent higher redundancy than comparable binder jetting systems.
Binder Jetting Technology Ushers in Additive Manufacturing 2.0
As a solution for mid-volume parts production through AM, the Shop System is a critical element of the Additive Manufacturing 2.0 revolution that is reshaping the future of manufacturing. As the emergence of AM 2.0 enables throughput, repeatability, and part costs that can compete with conventional manufacturing processes, the additive manufacturing sector is expected to surge from $12 billion in 2019 to an estimated value of $146 billion by the end of the decade1.
“Many of the benefits that have long been touted for 3D printing - mass customization, complex geometries, lightweighting, assembly consolidation, tool-free manufacturing, digital inventories, and more - all come bundled as part of AM 2.0,” said Fulop. “Taken together, this suite of benefits represents a new approach to the way metal parts are being designed, prototyped and now, with the Shop System, manufactured.”
Shop System Availability
With variable build box configurations ranging from 4L, 8L, 12L, and 16L, the Shop System is designed to scale throughput to each shop’s needs. Pricing starts at $166,500 for the 4L printer (350 x 220 x 50mm) and up to $241,500 for the 16L printer (350 x 220 x 200mm). In addition with the Shop System’s end-to-end hardware solution, customers will gain access to Desktop Metal’s Fabricate MFG™ build preparation software, as well as to the Company’s newly-released Live Sinter™ application, a sintering process simulation software that corrects for shrinkage and distortion of binder jet 3D printed parts during sintering, minimizing process trial and error while improving accuracy. For more information on the Shop System, visit https://www.desktopmetal.com/products/shop.
About Desktop Metal
Desktop Metal, Inc., based in Burlington, Massachusetts, is accelerating the transformation of manufacturing with end-to-end 3D printing solutions. Founded in 2015 by leaders in advanced manufacturing, metallurgy, and robotics, the company is addressing the unmet challenges of speed, cost, and quality to make 3D printing an essential tool for engineers and manufacturers around the world. Desktop Metal was selected as one of the world’s 30 most promising Technology Pioneers by the World Economic Forum; named to MIT Technology Review’s list of 50 Smartest Companies; and recognized among the most important innovations in engineering in Popular Science’s “Best of What’s New.” For more information, visit www.desktopmetal.com.
Based on Wohlers Report 2020, Wohlers Associates
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
Desktop Metal, Inc.
Lynda McKinney, 978-224-1282
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Kyowa Kirin Provides Update on Application for Marketing Authorisation of Istradefylline in Europe for the Treatment of ‘OFF’ Episodes in People Living with Parkinson’s23.7.2021 16:05:00 CEST | Press release
Kyowa Kirin Co., Ltd. (TSE:4151, President and CEO: Masashi Miyamoto, “Kyowa Kirin”) today announced that the European Medicines Agency’s (EMA) Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) issued a negative opinion for istradefylline as an add-on treatment to levodopa (L-Dopa) based regimens in adults living with Parkinson’s, experiencing end-of-dose motor fluctuations. Kyowa Kirin International remain committed to istradefylline and people living with Parkinson’s and are currently reviewing the options available, which may include re-examination. “We are disappointed by the CHMP opinion. However, we remain confident in the benefit-risk profile of istradefylline and are committed to making a difference to the lives of people living with Parkinson’s, an area which has had few innovative therapies for decades,” said Abdul Mullick, President of Kyowa Kirin International. “There are currently few new treatment options available to manage end-of-dose motor fluctuations in Parkinson
ForumPay Teams Up with Bambora to Conquer the Crypto-to-Fiat Payments Market23.7.2021 15:16:00 CEST | Press release
ForumPay, an international cryptocurrency-to-fiat payment service provider, has established a partnership with the global payments provider Bambora, a Worldline brand, to bring seamless crypto payment solutions to merchants and online shoppers. The partnership will cater to a large global audience and offer expanded payment options for both shoppers and merchants. ForumPay continues its march to dominate the growing crypto payments ecosystem for merchants around the world. “ForumPay provides merchants with a seamless, secure and instant processing solution to accept payments from the more than 54 million active crypto wallet users around the world. By providing a payments service for processing crypto into fiat that functions as naturally as card payments, ForumPay enables merchants with a familiar feeling payments alternative that also gives them a competitive advantage by tapping into the fastest growing consumer base on the planet.” says Joshua Tate, CEO of ForumPay. “We are very ex
Wipro Recognized as 2021 Microsoft Modernizing Applications Partner of the Year23.7.2021 14:54:00 CEST | Press release
Wipro Limited (NYSE: WIT, BSE: 507685, NSE: WIPRO), a leading global information technology, consulting and business process services company, today announced that it has won the 2021 Microsoft Partner of the Year Award in the Modernizing Applications category. In addition, Wipro was also named as a category finalist in the 2021 AI Partner of the Year category, solidifying its reputation as an innovator in multiple sectors. This recognition highlights Wipro’s deep expertise and ability to go above and beyond for its customers, powered by an established partnership with Microsoft. Even when working with complex customer environments, spanning across hundreds of servers with different applications of different versions, Wipro was able to help customers meet their business needs and leverage the power of public cloud in an efficient way. “Global enterprises have embraced modernization at an unprecedented scale and pace, and the demands of the past year show no sign of easing. We are honor
Merck Announces Appointment of Head of China & International for Healthcare23.7.2021 13:45:00 CEST | Press release
Merck, a leading science and technology company, today announced that Hong Chow will join its Healthcare business sector as Head of China & International on October 1. In this role at Merck, Chow will lead China, Japan as well the regions Europe, Latin America, Asia-Pacific and Middle East, Africa and Russia, the franchise of Cardiovascular Metabolism & Endocrinology (CM&E), and the Global Business Innovation team. Chow will report to Peter Guenter, Member of the Executive Board of Merck and CEO Healthcare. She will serve as a member of the Healthcare Executive Committee, and be based in Shanghai, China. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210723005186/en/ Merck Announces Appointment of Head of China & International for Healthcare (Photo: Business Wire) “Hong’s international experience and strong track record of bringing innovative medicines to patients in need across both developed and emerging markets, most nota
H.I.G. WhiteHorse Refinances Grupo Recoletas23.7.2021 13:03:00 CEST | Press release
H.I.G. WhiteHorse, a credit affiliate of global investment firm H.I.G. Capital ("H.I.G.") is pleased to announce that it has arranged a refinancing package for Grupo Hospitalario Recoletas (“Recoletas”), which includes a significant growth capital component. Recoletas is a family-owned Spanish private hospital operator headquartered in Valladolid, Spain, with a leading position in the Castilla y Leon Spanish inland region. It operates 8 hospitals with c. 540 beds and 13 medical centres across 7 regions. H.I.G. WhiteHorse has committed €110 million in unitranche loans to refinance the borrower's existing indebtedness and provide additional capital to finance growth, supporting the Company’s expansion. Recoletas is currently developing ambitious projects to expand its healthcare services provided through hospitals and medical centers, as well as diagnostic imaging centers and radiotherapy units. Amando J. Rodríguez, President and CEO of Grupo Hospitalario Recoletas, said: “We are very ha
Schlumberger Announces Second-Quarter 2021 Results23.7.2021 12:50:00 CEST | Press release
Schlumberger Limited (NYSE: SLB) today reported results for the second-quarter 2021. Second-Quarter Results(Stated in millions, except per share amounts)Three Months EndedChangeJun. 30, 2021Mar. 31, 2021Jun. 30, 2020SequentialYear-on-yearRevenue* $5,634 $5,223 $5,356 8% 5% Income (loss) before taxes - GAAP basis $542 $386 $(3,627) 40% n/m Net income (loss) - GAAP basis $431 $299 $(3,434) 44% n/m Diluted EPS (loss per share) - GAAP basis $0.30 $0.21 $(2.47) 43% n/m Adjusted EBITDA** $1,198 $1,049 $838 14% 43% Adjusted EBITDA margin** 21.3% 20.1% 15.6% 118 bps 561 bps Pretax segment operating income** $807 $664 $396 22% 104% Pretax segment operating margin** 14.3% 12.7% 7.4% 162 bps 694 bps Net income, excluding charges & credits** $431 $299 $69 44% 525% Diluted EPS, excluding charges & credits** $0.30 $0.21 $0.05 43% 500% Revenue by Geography International $4,511 $4,211 $4,224 7% 7% North America* 1,083 972 1,097 11% -1% Other 40 40 35 n/m n/m $5,634 $5,223 $5,356 8% 5% *Schlumberger di
Wyss Center Partners With Artiria Medical to Accelerate a Novel Therapy for Cerebral Vasospasm23.7.2021 11:59:00 CEST | Press release
The Wyss Center and Artiria Medical today announced a new partnership to accelerate the translation of a novel technology that has the potential to reduce deaths and improve quality of life for stroke patients. Artiria Medical, an early-stage medical device company focused on disruptive neurovascular products, has been developing the technology and is now joining forces with the Wyss Center, a non-profit organization dedicated to bringing state-of-the-art therapies to the patient. The team has received support from the Swiss Innovation Agency, Innosuisse, to test and validate the efficacy of the therapy preclinically, in preparation for human clinical studies. Stroke is the third leading cause of disability worldwide with more than 80 million people living with long-term impairments as a result. Some strokes result in bleeding in the brain. Such hemorrhagic strokes can lead to severe cerebral vasospasm - an uncontrolled contraction of brain arteries - in the days that follow, depriving