Continued growth and strong improvement in profits
AF Gruppen recorded revenues in Q2 of NOK 7,189 million. This is equivalent to revenue growth of 9,5 per cent compared to the same quarter last year. Profit before tax was NOK 356 million in Q2, corresponding to an improvement in profit of 38 per cent. The order backlog was NOK 37,837 million at the end of the quarter.
Revenues for Q2 totalled NOK 7,189 million (6,568 million) and amounted to NOK 13,398 million (13,175 million) for the first half of the year. Profit before tax was NOK 356 million (258 million) in the 2nd quarter and NOK 602 million (465 million) for the first half of the year. This resulted in a profit margin of 5.0% (3.9%) for Q2 and 4.5% (3.5%) for the first half of the year. AF Gruppen reported a historic high order backlog, totalling NOK 37,837 million (34,155 million) at the end of the quarter.
“Thoroughness and hard work through time in project activities enables us to report good revenue growth and a good result in Q2 and the year’s first six months for AF Gruppen. Several of our business areas contributed to good profitability in the quarter, with a high level of activity and good margins. In combination with the safety trend going in the right direction, we are pleased with the quarter we have put behind us,” says Amund Tøftum, CEO of AF Gruppen.
AF Gruppen is in a strong financial position. Net operating cash flow was NOK 529 million (202 million) in Q2 2021 and NOK 734 million (701 million) for the first half of the year. As at 30.06.21, AF Gruppen had net interest-bearing liabilities totalling NOK 333 million (49 million) and NOK 3,205 million in available liquidity. Earnings per share amounted to NOK 2.09 (1.56) for Q2, and NOK 3.65 (2.79) for the first half of the year.
AF imposes the same strict requirements on all its partners and suppliers as it does on its own employees. Figures received from subcontractors are included in the injury statistics. The LTI rate for Q2 was 0.9 (2.3). The LTI rate for the first half of 2021 was 1.2 (1.9).
AF works in a systematic and targeted manner in order to avoid work-related absence. Sickness absence in Q2 was 4.3% (4.6 %), and for the first six months of 2021 it was 4.7% (4.8%). The Covid-19 pandemic has led to a slight increase in sickness absence compared to previous years.
After the end of the quarter, it was announced to the stock exchange that AF Gruppen is to build Construction City, an industry cluster that will bring together the construction, civil engineering and real estate industry in Norway. The contract is valued at NOK 2,7 billion, excluding VAT.
“In order to succeed going forward, we have to remain curious and strengthen our culture, which is founded upon an ability to follow through and a willingness to innovate. The development of Construction City is a good example of true innovation. The cluster gathers and facilitates learning in the construction, civil engineering and real estate industry. It will be AF Gruppen’s new headquarters and our largest Construction-project of all time,” Tøftum says.
After the end of the quarter, it was also announced to the stock exchange that AF Gruppen and Aker Solutions have signed a letter of intent to merge the two companies' existing offshore decommissioning operations into a 50/50-owned company. The goal is to create a leading global player for the environmentally-friendly recycling of offshore installations. The transaction is expected to be completed during the second half of 2021 and is subject to due diligence and approval from the Norwegian competition authorities.
Selected highlights from the quarter:
- The activity level in Civil Engineering increased considerably compared to the same quarter last year, and the business area delivered good results during the quarter. AF Anlegg currently has two major projects in progress: E39 Kristiansand vest–Mandal øst and Bergtunnlar Lovö in Stockholm.
- Turnover for Construction is on par with the same period last year, and the business area delivered good profitability in the quarter. The order backlog has seen a solid increase in the quarter.
- Betonmast reported weak profitability in the quarter, and as expected, profitability is lower than for AF Gruppen’s other business. There are significant variations in the results of the various units, and as a result of risk reviews of ongoing projects, write-downs have been made on several projects in the quarter. The order backlog has seen a strong increase in the quarter, and the bulk of the increase is related to the Swedish part of Betonmast.
- Property enjoyed good sales during the quarter. A total of 148 (70) apartments were sold in the quarter, of which AF’s share was 70 (25). A total of 270 (150) have been sold year to date, and AF's share is 125 (53). There were five residential property projects in the production stage at the end of the quarter. A total of 589 units are in production, of which AF’s share is 233. The sales ratio for commenced projects is 83%.AF also has a significant development portfolio in Norway which is estimated at 2,112 (2,413) units. AF’s share of this was 1,064 (1,173) residential units.
- Energy and Environment increased its level of activity and maintained stable good profitability during the quarter. Revenues in the 2nd quarter were NOK 323 million, which corresponds to growth of 47 per cent compared to the same quarter last year.
- The Sweden business area increased sales and maintained stable profitability in the second quarter compared with the same quarter last year. The construction business reports good growth in revenues and stable, good results, while results are variable in the construction units.
- Revenues for the Offshore business area increased significantly compared to the 2nd quarter last year, and profitability was good. Solid implementation of offshore campaigns as well as good operational performance at AF Miljøbase Vats contributed to the good result for the quarter.
Amund TøftumCEOTel:+47 920 26 712Amund.Toftum@afgruppen.no
Sverre HæremCFOTel:+47 952 45 email@example.com
About AF Gruppen ASA
AF Gruppen is a leading contracting and industrial group that was formed by an entrepreneurial spirit and execution capabilities. The group has 5,500 employees and revenue reached NOK 27 billion in 2020. AF Gruppen is listed on Oslo Stock Exchange (AFG).
We provide a broad range of services with seven operational business areas: Civil Engineering, Building, Betonmast, Property, Energy and Environment, Sweden and Offshore.
Subscribe to releases from AF Gruppen ASA
Subscribe to all the latest releases from AF Gruppen ASA by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from AF Gruppen ASA
New logistics centre contract outside Stockholm7.9.2021 11:00:21 CEST | Press release
AF Gruppen’s subsidiary Kanonaden Entreprenad will carry out the site preparation and civil engineering work for a new centralised warehouse facility in Bålsta outside of Stockholm. The contract is valued at an estimated SEK 120-140 million, excluding VAT.
Renovation of 900 wet rooms in Moss20.8.2021 15:26:31 CEST | Press release
AF Gruppen has signed a contract with Trolldalen 1 BRL for the renovation of sanitary systems and facilities, as well as associated wet rooms, in three residential blocks housing 180 flats, in addition to 228 flats in terraced housing.
HMB to build a new central residential district in Knivsta9.7.2021 15:53:17 CEST | Press release
HMB Construction, subsidiary of AF Gruppen, is building a new central residential district in Knivsta, south of Uppsala on behalf of Genoa and Redito.
Building unique homes for OBOS Kärnhem in Lund9.7.2021 09:09:35 CEST | Press release
AF Bygg Syd, a subsidiary of AF Gruppen, will build homes on behalf of OBOS Kärnhem in the new district of Brunnshög, close to Lund's world-leading research environments.
To build Construction City in Oslo7.7.2021 15:15:00 CEST | Press release
AF Gruppen has entered into a contract with Construction City Holding AS to build Construction City, an industry cluster that will bring together the building, construction and real estate industry in Norway. The contract is valued at NOK 2,676 million, excluding VAT.
AF Gruppen and Aker Solutions join forces to create a leading global offshore decommissioning and recycling company1.7.2021 08:03:29 CEST | Press release
Today, AF Gruppen and Aker Solutions have signed a Letter of Intent (LOI) to merge the two companies existing offshore decom operations into a 50/50 owned company with the goal of creating a leading global player for environmentally friendly recycling of offshore assets. By establishing a pure, focused player dedicated to unleashing global decom potential, the parties will make a significant contribution towards a sustainable, green transition of the offshore sector.
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom