C3.ai Digital Transformation Institute Announces Research Awards for AI to Transform Cybersecurity and Secure Critical Infrastructure
C3.ai Digital Transformation Institute (C3.ai DTI) today announced the third round of C3.ai DTI funded advanced research awards, focused on using artificial intelligence (AI) to harden information security and secure critical infrastructure.
The Institute awarded a total of $6.5 million in cash awards to leading research scientists at University of California, Berkeley, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Carnegie Mellon, Princeton, University of Chicago, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, and MIT.
“Cybersecurity is an immediate existential issue,” said Thomas M. Siebel, chairman and CEO of C3 AI, a leading enterprise AI software provider. “We are equipping top scientists with the means to advance technology to help secure critical infrastructure.”
Twenty-four projects were awarded $100,000 to $700,000 each, for an initial period of one year:
AI Resilience: Techniques and methods to enable the development of AI algorithms that are resilient to adversarial attacks
- “High Performance Provably Robust AI Methods for Cybersecurity Tasks on Critical Infrastructure,” (Zico Kolter, Carnegie Mellon University)
- “Scalable, Secure Machine Learning in the Presence of Adversaries,” (John Kubiatowicz, University of California, Berkeley)
- “REFL: Resilient Distributed Cybersecurity Learning System,” (Bo Li, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- “Fundamental Limits on the Robustness of Supervised Machine Learning Algorithms,” (Ben Zhao, University of Chicago)
Anomaly Detection: AI techniques, including supervised and unsupervised learning, to provide early detection of system and/or network anomalies that might be indicative of unauthorized access, denial of service, or data exfiltration
- “Continuously and Automatically Discovering and Remediating Internet-Facing Security Vulnerabilities,” (Nick Feamster, University of Chicago)
- “AI Techniques for Power Systems Under Cyberattacks,” (Javad Lavaei, University of California, Berkeley)
- “Physics-aware AI-based Approach for Cyber Intrusion Detection in Substation Automation Systems,” (Alberto Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, University of California, Berkeley)
Advanced Persistent Threats: AI techniques to detect the presence of advanced persistent threats
- “Deep-Learning Detection Algorithms for Advanced Persistent Attacks in Mixed-Autonomy Traffic: Design and Experimental Validation,” (Alex Bayen, University of California, Berkeley)
- “AI Support for Cybersecurity,” (David Wagner, University of California, Berkeley)
Securing Critical Cyber-Physical Infrastructure: AI techniques to secure critical infrastructure against cyber threats
- “Cyber Safety Cage for Networks,” (Cyrille Valentin Artho, KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
- “Security for Large-Scale Infrastructure using Probabilistic Programming,” (Nikita Borisov, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- “A Compositional Neural Certificate Framework for Securing Critical Networked Infrastructure,” (Chuchu Fan, Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
- “Democratizing AI-Driven Security Workflows for Critical Energy Infrastructure,” (Vyas Sekar, Carnegie Mellon University)
- “Semantic Adversarial Analysis for Secure Critical Infrastructure,” (Sanjit Seshia, University of California, Berkeley)
Forensics: AI forensics and attribution techniques to identify sources of attacks
- “Causal Reasoning for Real-Time Attack Identification in Cyber-Physical Systems,” (György Dán, KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
- “Statistical Learning Theory and Graph Neural Networks for Identifying Attack Sources,” (H. Vincent Poor, Princeton University)
- “Robust and Scalable Forensics for Deep Neural Networks,” (Ben Zhao, University of Chicago)
Securing Emerging Financial Infrastructure: AI techniques to identify attacks on emerging decentralized financial and business infrastructure
- “An Intelligence Platform for Better Security in Decentralized Finance,” (Dawn Song, University of California, Berkeley)
- “Blockchain Forensics,” (Pramod Viswanath, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
Vulnerability Identification: AI techniques to identify previously unknown malware, ransomware, and zero-day vulnerabilities, enabling isolation and neutralization
- “GAN-Aided Automatic Test Case Generation,” (Giulia Fanti, Carnegie Mellon University)
Insider Threats: Change management techniques to prevent the weaponization of innocent and malicious insiders
- “Protecting Critical Infrastructures Against Evolving Insider Threats,” (Carl Gunter, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- “Multi-Facet Rare Event Modeling of Adaptive Insider Threats,” (Jingrui He, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- “AI-Supported Nudging for Cyber-Hygiene,” (Cedric Langbort, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
C3.ai DTI selects research proposals that inspire cooperative research and advance machine learning and other AI subdisciplines. Projects are peer-reviewed on scientific merit, prior accomplishments of the principal investigator and co-principal investigators, the use of AI, machine learning, data analytics, and cloud computing in the research project, and the suitability for testing the methods at scale. Visit C3DTI.ai to learn more about the Institute’s programs, award opportunities, and selected research proposals.
About C3.ai Digital Transformation Institute
Established in March 2020 by C3 AI, Microsoft, and leading universities, the C3.ai Digital Transformation Institute is a research consortium dedicated to accelerating the benefits of artificial intelligence for business, government, and society. The Institute engages the world’s leading scientists to conduct research and train practitioners in the new Science of Digital Transformation — operating at the intersection of artificial intelligence, machine learning, cloud computing, internet of things, big data analytics, organizational behavior, public policy, and ethics.
The 10 C3.ai Digital Transformation Institute consortium member universities and laboratories are: University of California, Berkeley, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Carnegie Mellon University, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, National Center for Supercomputing Applications at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Princeton University, Stanford University, and University of Chicago. Additional industry partners include AstraZeneca, Baker Hughes, and Shell.
To support the Institute, C3 AI is providing the Institute $57,250,000 in cash contributions over the initial five years of operation. In addition to cash awards, C3.ai DTI provides researchers with cloud computing, supercomputing, data, and software resources, including free, unlimited use of the C3 AI Application Platform, up to $2 million in Azure Cloud computing resources, and access to High Performance Computing (HPC) resources at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory’s National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center (NERSC).
About C3.ai, Inc.
C3 AI is the Enterprise AI application software company. C3 AI delivers a family of fully integrated products including the C3 AI Application Platform, an end-to-end platform for developing, deploying, and operating enterprise AI applications and C3 AI Applications, a portfolio of industry-specific SaaS enterprise AI applications that enable the digital transformation of organizations globally. Learn more at: www.c3.ai.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
C3.ai DTI Contact:
Communications Manager, C3.ai DTI @ Berkeley
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Align Announces Additional Leadership for UK and EMEA to Support Continued Growth18.5.2022 17:11:00 CEST | Press release
Align, the premier global provider of technology infrastructure solutions celebrates significant growth throughout the UK and EMEA markets with management changes to support increasing demand. The appointment of Giulia Marcolina as Managing Director and Mike Konold as AV Solutions Director of Align’s UK-based headquarters, will enable the team to deliver innovative collaborative technology and state-of-the-art AV solutions. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220518005833/en/ Giulia Marcolina, a 15 year veteran with Align, is named Managing Director of Align's UK-based headquarters. (Photo: Business Wire) Giulia brings over 25 years of IT experience, previously serving as Align’s Programme Manager, delivering corporate office relocation and consolidation projects for clients such as Blackrock, Total Gas and Power, and UBS. In her new role, she will lead Align’s team of project managers in building upon Align’s lon
RMS Advances Climate Risk Modeling and Moves More Models to High Definition18.5.2022 16:30:00 CEST | Press release
RMS®, a Moody’s Analytics company and world-leading risk modeling and solutions company, today announces it will be releasing four new High Definition™ (HD) models, including Europe Windstorm, North America Winterstorm (WT), North America Severe Convective Storm (SCS), and Terrorism. RMS HD Models represent the next generation of risk modeling, delivering deeper analysis and granularity from Moody’s. The HD probabilistic models incorporate a high-fidelity, simulation-based framework for modeling event frequency and severity, to provide a major step forward in the quality of catastrophe risk quantification. The framework allows for event footprints to be represented more realistically across larger event sets. The new RMS Europe Windstorm HD Model further enhances the current model and will cover 17 countries, adding Finland and Lichtenstein. The HD model includes a climate variability view and has expanded storm surge analytics to include the U.K., Ireland, France, and Belgium. Storm c
Suketu Upadhyay Elected to Vertex Board of Directors18.5.2022 16:30:00 CEST | Press release
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated (Nasdaq: VRTX) today announced that Suketu (“Suky”) Upadhyayhas been elected to its board of directors as an independent director. Mr. Upadhyay is a global business executive with more than 20 years of experience in the pharmaceutical and medical technology sectors, serving in financial and strategy roles covering multiple areas of the life sciences sector. He is currently the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Zimmer Biomet, a leading global innovator and manufacturer of orthopedic solutions, a position he has held since July 2019. “We are delighted to have Suky join the Vertex Board. His extensive financial and strategic experience in health care, paired with his leadership and expertise across biopharma and medtech, make him a valuable addition to our board of directors,” said Reshma Kewalramani, M.D., Vertex’s Chief Executive Officer and President. “It’s an honor to join Vertex, a company focused on serial innovation with an
Tecnotree Awarded as 'Change-maker of the year' by the Helsinki Stock Exchange Foundation18.5.2022 16:19:00 CEST | Press release
Tecnotree, a technology supplier from Espoo, is awarded “Change-maker of the year”. The company has been instrumental in delivering European-Finnish Innovation for driving growth in emerging markets, its 5G ready digital products and solutions have gained acceptance across the globe in Europe, Latam, Middle East, Africa, and the Asia Pacific regions and are critical in providing the Telecom Sector and its customers with advanced digital capabilities access essential digital services across the globe in the spheres of healthcare, education, and payment services. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220518005750/en/ Tecnotree Padma Ravichander and Minna Heusala of the Stock Exchange Foundation at the Stock Exchange Gala on May 17, 2022. Picture taken by Tuomas Pietinen. (Photo: Business Wire) “Change and transformation are the very essence of our business. Over the last decade, we transformed our company internally t
Armory Makes Continuous Deployment Achievable and Effortless, at any Scale, for all Developers18.5.2022 16:17:00 CEST | Press release
Armory, the Continuous Deployment company empowering development teams to easily, reliably, safely, and continuously deploy software at any scale, today announced public early access to their new Continuous Deployment-as-a-Service product. Armory Continuous Deployment-as-a-Service delivers declarative deployments, across multiple environments, that support advanced strategies, so developers can focus on building great code rather than deploying it. “We believe deploying software continuously, at any scale, should be achievable and effortless for all developers of the world, not just the likes of Google and Netflix,” said Jim Douglas, President and CEO, Armory. “It’s our vision and mission to unlock innovation through software to make software continuous, scalable, secure, and safe, so developers can improve and protect their customers’ experience with confidence and ease.” To effectively compete in a software-defined world, development teams must ensure a stellar customer experience. S