C3.ai Digital Transformation Institute Announces AI for Energy and Climate Security Grantees
C3.ai Digital Transformation Institute (C3.ai DTI) today announced the second round of C3.ai DTI awards, focused on using artificial intelligence (AI) techniques and digital transformation to advance energy efficiency and lead the way to a lower-carbon, higher-efficiency economy that will ensure energy and climate security.
C3.ai DTI issued this call for proposals in February 2021, and received 52 submissions. A rigorous peer review process led to 21 awards for research proposals to improve resilience, sustainability, and efficiency through such measures as carbon sequestration, carbon markets, hydrocarbon production, distributed renewables, and cybersecurity, among other topics.
The Institute awarded a total of $4.4 million in cash from this call for proposals, the second call the Institute has released since the organization’s launch in March 2020. In addition to cash awards, research teams gain access to up to $2 million in Azure Cloud computing resources, up to 800,000 supercomputing node hours on the Blue Waters petascale supercomputer at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, up to 25 million computing hours on supercomputers at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory’s National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center (NERSC), and free, unlimited access to the C3 AI® Suite hosted on the Microsoft Azure Cloud.
“The world’s energy infrastructure will need to undergo radical changes to address the impact of global energy generation,” said Thomas M. Siebel, chairman and CEO of C3 AI. “In the face of this crisis, the Institute is proud to bring together the best and brightest minds and provide direction and leadership to support objective analysis and AI-based, data-driven science for climate security.”
“Pursuing a sustainable future via advances in science and engineering is absolutely critical,” said Eric Horvitz, Chief Scientific Officer at Microsoft. “We’re deeply enthusiastic to join with the C3.ai Digital Transformation Institute to support frontier research on energy and climate at leading universities.”
The 21 projects were each awarded $100,000 to $250,000, for an initial period of one year, in one of nine categories, as listed below by project title, principal investigator, and affiliation.
- Sustainability - Applying AI, machine learning, and advanced analytics to support sustainability initiatives for energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions:
- Learning in Routing Games for Sustainable Electromobility (Henrik Sandberg, KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
- AI-Driven Materials Discovery Framework for Energy-Efficient and Sustainable Electrochemical Separations (Xiao Su, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign)
- AI for Carbon Sequestration -Applying AI/ML techniques to increase the scale and reduce costs of carbon sequestration:
- Optimization of Agricultural Management for Soil Carbon Sequestration Using Deep Reinforcement Learning and Large-Scale Simulations (Naira Hovakimyan, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- Affordable Gigaton-Scale Carbon Sequestration: Navigating Autonomous Seaweed Growth Platforms by Leveraging Complex Ocean Currents and Machine Learning (Claire Tomlin, University of California, Berkeley)
- AI for Advanced Energy and Carbon Markets - Enabling dynamic, automated, and real-time pricing of energy-generation sources:
- Quantifying Carbon Credit Over the U.S. Midwestern Cropland Using AI-Based Data-Model Fusion (Kaiyu Guan, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- The Role of Interconnectivity and Strategic Behavior in Electric Power System Reliability (Ali Hortacsu, University of Chicago)
- Cybersecurity of Power and Energy Infrastructure - Leveraging AI/ML techniques to improve the cybersecurity of critical power and energy assets, along with smart connected factories and homes:
- Private Cyber-Secure Data-Driven Control of Distributed Energy Resources (Subhonmesh Bose, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- Cyberattacks and Anomalies for Power Systems: Defense Mechanism and Grid Fortification via Machine Learning Techniques (Javad Lavaei, University of California, Berkeley)
- A Joint ML+Physics-Driven Approach for Cyber-Attack Resilience in Grid Energy Management (Amritanshu Pandey, Carnegie Mellon University)
- Smart Grid Analytics - Applying AI and other analytic approaches to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of grid transmission and distribution operations:
- Scalable Data-Driven Voltage Control of Ultra-Large-Scale Power Networks (Alejandro Dominguez-Garcia, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- Offline Reinforcement Learning for Energy-Efficient Power Grids (Sergey Levine, University of California, Berkeley)
- Distributed Energy Resource Management - Applying AI to increase the penetration and use of distributed renewables:
- Machine Learning for Power Electronics-Enabled Power Systems: A Unified ML Platform for Power Electronics, Power Systems, and Data Science (Minjie Chen, Princeton University)
- Sharing Mobile Energy Storage: Platforms and Learning Algorithms (Kameshwar Poolla, University of California, Berkeley)
- Data-Driven Control and Coordination of Smart Converters for Sustainable Power System Using Deep Reinforcement Learning (Qianwen Xu, KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
- AI for Improved Natural Catastrophe Risk Assessment -Applying AI to improve modeling of natural catastrophe risks from future weather-related events (e.g., tropical storms, wildfires, and floods):
- AI for Natural Catastrophes: Tropical Cyclone Modeling and Enabling the Resilience Paradigm (Arindam Banerjee, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- Multi-Scale Analysis for Improved Risk Assessment of Wildfires Facilitated by Data and Computation (Marta Gonzalez, University of California, Berkeley)
- Resilient Energy Systems - Addressing how the use of AI/ML techniques and markets for energy and carbon introduce new vulnerabilities:
- A Learning-Based Influence Model Approach to Cascading Failure Prediction (Eytan Modiano, Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
- Reinforcement Learning for a Resilient Electric Power System (Alberto Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, University of California, Berkeley)
- AI for Improved Climate Change Modeling -Use of AI/ML to address climate change modeling and adaptation:
- Machine Learning to Reduce Uncertainty in the Effects of Fires on Climate (Hamish Gordon, Carnegie Mellon University)
- AI-Based Prediction of Urban Climate and Its Impact on Built Environments (Wei Liu, KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
- Interpretable Machine Learning Models to Improve Forecasting of Extreme-Weather-Causing Tropical Monster Storms (Da Yang, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory)
“From wildfires to rising seas to monster storms crippling our energy systems, increasingly extreme weather clearly represents a severe threat to our economy, infrastructure, and national security,” said S. Shankar Sastry, C3.ai DTI Co-Director and Thomas M. Siebel Professor of Computer Science at the University of California, Berkeley.“Improving climate resilience will require profound changes powered by a new era of technology like those C3.ai DTI is supporting today.”
“A number of energy companies and utilities have used enterprise AI to transform their operations, but as we can see, there’s an even greater need for resilience to cyberattacks and large environmental disruptions,” said R. Srikant, C3.ai DTI Co-Director and Fredric G. and Elizabeth H. Nearing Endowed Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. “These projects are designed with those goals in mind.”
C3.ai DTI selects research proposals that inspire cooperative research and advance machine learning and other AI subdisciplines. Projects are peer-reviewed on the basis of scientific merit, prior accomplishments of the principal investigator and co-principal investigators, the use of AI, machine learning, data analytics, and cloud computing in the research project, and the suitability for testing the methods at scale. Visit C3DTI.ai to learn more about the Institute’s programs, award opportunities, and selected research proposals.
About C3.ai Digital Transformation Institute
Established in March 2020 by C3 AI, Microsoft, and leading universities, the C3.ai Digital Transformation Institute is a research consortium dedicated to accelerating the benefits of artificial intelligence for business, government, and society. The Institute engages the world’s leading scientists to conduct research and train practitioners in the new Science of Digital Transformation – operating at the intersection of artificial intelligence, machine learning, cloud computing, internet of things, big data analytics, organizational behavior, public policy, and ethics.
The ten C3.ai Digital Transformation Institute consortium member universities and laboratories are: University of California, Berkeley, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Carnegie Mellon University, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, National Center for Supercomputing Applications at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Princeton University, Stanford University, and University of Chicago. Additional industry partners include AstraZeneca, Baker Hughes, and Shell.
To support the Institute, C3 AI is providing the Institute $57,250,000 in cash contributions over the first five years of operation. C3 AI and Microsoft will contribute an additional $310 million of in-kind support, including use of the C3 AI® Suite and Microsoft Azure computing, storage, and technical resources to support C3.ai DTI research.
About C3.ai, Inc.
C3.ai, Inc. (NYSE:AI) is the Enterprise AI application software company that accelerates digital transformation for organizations globally. C3 AI delivers a family of fully integrated products: C3 AI® Suite, an end-to-end platform for developing, deploying, and operating large-scale AI applications; C3 AI Applications, a portfolio of industry-specific SaaS AI applications; C3 AI CRM, a suite of industry-specific CRM applications designed for AI and machine learning; and C3 AI Ex Machina, a no-code AI solution to apply data science to everyday business problems. The core of the C3 AI offering is an open, model-driven AI architecture that dramatically simplifies data science and application development. Learn more at: www.c3.ai.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
C3.ai DTI Contact
Communications Manager, C3.ai DTI @ Berkeley
C3 AI Public Relations
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Hisense's European Sales Revenue Surges to 113%, Successfully Strengthen European Competitive Position and Profitability14.6.2021 13:00:00 CEST | Press release
Hisense, the official sponsor of UEFA EURO 2020, celebrates the official kick-off of EURO 2020 in Italy. Football, as one of the top events in Europe, creates a chance for Hisense to build emotional connections with European consumers. Ever since the sponsorship of UEFA EURO 2016, through supporting sport event and technology innovation, Hisense gains many recognitions and praises from European consumers; its brand awareness increased by 6%. In 2021, Hisense’s sales revenue in the European market grew by 113% year-on-year, with more than 355% and 185% growth in key markets such as Poland and France. Hisense is dedicated to developing and producing cutting-edge technology, adopting localization strategy to ensure different markets' consumer needs and product experience. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210614005257/en/ Fans can find Hisense Logo on EURO 2020 Festival Tower (Photo: Business Wire) Localization man
Moody’s Highlights Its Commitment to Sustainability Leadership14.6.2021 13:00:00 CEST | Press release
Today Moody’s Corporation (NYSE:MCO) released its inaugural Stakeholder Sustainability and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) reports, which highlight its ongoing commitment to sustainability leadership by placing sustainability considerations at the core of its global business and operations. The 2020 Stakeholder Sustainability Report details Moody’s focus on sustainability and its progress toward incorporating environmental, social and governance (ESG) considerations across its products and corporate operations. Moody’s DE&I Report details new goals established to enhance diverse representation across its global workforce and highlights programs and partnerships created to advance DE&I in its workplace, communities and the wider business community. “Sustainability is an integral part of who we are and how we operate at Moody’s,” said Robert Fauber, President and Chief Executive Officer. “Our Stakeholder Sustainability and DE&I reports detail the many ways in which we are committe
Velodyne Lidar Introduces Next-Generation Velabit™ Sensor14.6.2021 12:48:00 CEST | Press release
Velodyne Lidar, Inc. (Nasdaq: VLDR, VLDRW) today introduced the next generation of its Velabit™ sensor, which addresses the cost, safety, and design challenges of autonomous solutions while delivering state-of-the-art performance. Equipped with Velodyne's breakthrough proprietary micro-lidar array architecture (MLA), the Velabit delivers on what Velodyne customers asked for - an ultra-wide field of view (FoV) and higher resolution. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210614005080/en/ Velodyne Lidar introduced the next generation of its Velabit™ sensor, which addresses the cost, safety, and design challenges of autonomous solutions while delivering state-of-the-art performance. (Photo: Velodyne Lidar) The solid-state Velabit sensor now has a simultaneously achievable maximum horizontal FoV of 90° and maximum vertical FOV of 70°, approximately three times more points per second than the previous model. The next gene
Thales and Google Expand Partnership to Support Enhanced Privacy and Confidentiality Capabilities for Google Workspace14.6.2021 12:00:00 CEST | Press release
Thales today announced that its CipherTrust Manager and SafeNet Trusted Access have been integrated with Google Workspace Client-side encryption (beta coming soon), a new privacy and confidentiality offering for Google Workspace users. Providing enhanced key management capabilities and identity protection, customers can benefit from improved regulatory compliance and data ownership by allowing them to maintain ownership of keys used to encrypt Google Workspace documents. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210614005060/en/ © Thales With many countries developing strict data security regulations, such as GDPR and Schrems II in Europe, CCPA in NORAM and NDB in APAC, the regulatory landscape is becoming increasingly complex for organisations to navigate. What’s more, with three-quarters (74%) of global organisations planning to keep part of their workforce remote after the pandemic, there is an increasing need for a
Celltrion announces positive top-line results from global Phase III trial of regdanvimab (CT-P59), an anti-COVID-19 monoclonal antibody treatment14.6.2021 10:15:00 CEST | Press release
Celltrion Group today announced top-line efficacy and safety data from the global Phase III clinical trial, demonstrating that anti-COVID-19 monoclonal antibody treatment candidate, regdanvimab (CT-P59), met all primary and key secondary endpoints in patients with mild- to- moderate symptoms of COVID-19 (n=1,315). Results showed that CT-P59 significantly reduced the risk of hospitalisation or death by 72% for patients at high- risk of progressing to severe COVID-19 up to Day 28, compared to placebo, meeting the primary efficacy endpoint [3.1 vs. 11.1 %, p-value< 0.0001]. CT-P59 also significantly reduced the risk of hospitalisation or death by 70% in all patients, meeting the first key secondary endpoint [2.4 vs. 8.0 %, p-value< 0.0001]. The trial also met the other key secondary endpoints, including faster and persistent reduction in symptom duration. Patients treated with CT-P59 (40mg/kg) recovered at least 4.7 days earlier than those in the placebo-treated patients [median 9.3 vs. m
Immersive Labs Raises $75m to Accelerate Data Platform for Analyzing and Unlocking Cyber Skills Across Large Organizations14.6.2021 10:00:00 CEST | Press release
Immersive Labs, the company empowering organizations to measure and improve cybersecurity skills across technical and non-technical teams, today announced it has closed $75m in Series C funding led by new investors Insight Partners alongside Menlo Ventures, Citi Ventures and existing investor Goldman Sachs Asset Management. The investment will accelerate delivery of a progressive new Cyber Workforce Optimization platform. With cyber risk no longer confined to technical specialists, expert skills are now required across the entire organization. From crisis management with executives to secure software development amongst engineers and ensuring compliance in legal teams, the platform will use data insights to understand where skills are required and inject role-specific training. It will also enable board-level metrics and benchmarking. Immersive Labs, which has now received $123m in venture funding, currently counts organizations such as HSBC, Vodafone and the NHS as customers. Growing
NexStreaming releases NexPlayer for Nintendo Switch™14.6.2021 09:00:00 CEST | Press release
NexStreaming announced the latest addition to their Player SDK family, the Nintendo Switch SDK, becoming the first player to enable video streaming for the popular video game devices. NexPlayer and Nintendo have joined forces to port the popular NexPlayer SDK into Nintendo Switch, making possible HLS and DASH streaming inside Nintendo Switch apps. OTT providers will be able to offer their Live & VOD video services to almost 80 million users worldwide and gaming publishers will be able to include exciting video contents inside their Nintendo Switch games. NexPlayer for Nintendo Switch comes with the same premium support as NexPlayer SDK and is very easy to integrate into any application. Carlos Lucas, CEO of NexStreaming said, “Our role in the industry is to enable the most advanced video services for the largest number of devices. Adding Nintendo Switch to our list of supported platforms is aligned with this strategy. Nintendo´s support has been key for this achievement. We hope our cu