Boosting Cardiovascular Health in Europe – Towards More Resilient and Equitable Healthcare
More than two years after the COVID-19 pandemic started, healthcare systems are taking stock of the lessons learnt to strengthen their response and improve the health outcomes of patients across disease areas. In this context, theEuropean Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA)CVD Network commissioned a report in collaboration with PwC on “Boosting cardiovascular health in Europe: towards more resilient and equitable healthcare”, to assess the impact of COVID-19 on cardiovascular (CVD) care and to explore possible policy actions to strengthen the healthcare systems’ response to CVDs.
The report finds that:
- Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the major cause of mortality and morbidity across Europe, affecting almost 95 million patients and, notably causing 1.24 million acute coronary events each year.
- CVD accounts for almost one-third of all premature deaths and is responsible for 23 % of all disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) measured across Europe, exceeding the burden caused by all other non-communicable diseases (NCDs), including cancer.
- At the same time, many CVDs are preventable or, at least, manageable with appropriate interventions, often more so than other major NCDs. Overall, about 70% of the CVD burden is attributable to risk factors that can be controlled or modified, such as hypertension, high cholesterol or diabetes.
- COVID-19 has made things worse. The pandemic has increased the risk of hospitalisation and death for people with CVD and put healthcare systems under strain, disrupting detection and care pathways and exposing existing disparities in CVD care.
- Short-term shocks, similar to the pandemic, are likely to become more frequent, thus boosting healthcare demand, and stretching healthcare services even further.
- Evolving disease patterns will force healthcare systems to reshape their care delivery models. With 130 million Europeans expected to be over the age of 65 by 2050, CVD-related healthcare demand is bound to grow and transform over the coming decades.
Following the findings, the report offers a series of concrete policy recommendations that aim to re-design CVD care and equip European healthcare systems with the necessary tools to cope with future crises:
- Strengthen population screening
- Broaden screening programmes for genetic and metabolic risk factors
- Simplify access to screening, especially for vulnerable populations
- Ensure treatment initiation, maintenance, and follow-up for at-risk patients
- Re-design healthcare systems to reward outcomes
- Strengthen digital health and information sharing to improve disease management
- Foster data-driven decision making
- Harness the potential of data-driven solutions to inform CVD policies and support clinical decision-making and value-based care delivery
“Cardiovascular diseases are Europe’s biggest health challenge. The time to act is now. Building on the available evidence, we need bold policy action for better population health in Europe” commented Christian Thonke and Sean Lybrand, co-Chairs of the EFPIA CVD Network.
The Report calls on all CVD stakeholders to play their part in advancing CVD prevention, detection and care, by putting the spotlight on secondary prevention and encouraging a smarter use of digital technologies.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
Andy Powrie-Smith, Executive Director of Communications, EFPIA
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
HCL and UNLEASH Partner to Develop Solutions for Aquatic Ecosystem Conservation20.5.2022 17:59:00 CEST | Press release
HCL Group and UNLEASH, a global innovation program for the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), announced a year-long collaboration to mobilize youth and develop innovative solutions to promote aquatic ecosystem conservation. These solutions will aim to tackle challenges from Source (mountains & glaciers) to Sink (oceans and seas) and their links to terrestrial ecosystems. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220520005178/en/ Nature and ocean conservation play a critical role in our survival. Terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems provide us with food, water, oxygen, energy, and medicines. They regulate our climate, provide pollination to crops, and reduce the impact of natural hazards. Despite the vital importance of our planet’s ecosystems, we are experiencing a human-caused deterioration of our natural habitats: human activity has altered almost 75% of the Earth’s terrestrial surface, squeezing wildlife and natu
PPG Showcases Innovations in Paints, Coatings, Specialty Materials That Enhance Sustainability, Efficiency, Mobility20.5.2022 14:00:00 CEST | Press release
PPG (NYSE:PPG) today showcased its latest innovations to media at its production and research and development (R&D) facility in Amsterdam. The event focused on advancements in three key areas – sustainability, efficiency and mobility – reflecting the company’s goals of helping customers lower costs, reduce their environmental footprint and support the global shift to electric vehicles (EVs). This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220520005101/en/ PPG showcased its latest innovations to media at its production and research and development facility in Amsterdam on May 20. The event focused on advancements in three key areas – sustainability, efficiency and mobility – reflecting the company’s goals of helping customers lower costs, reduce their environmental footprint and support the global shift to electric vehicles. (Photo: Business Wire) Recent PPG innovations highlighted during the event include: PPG CORACHAR® batte
Ecopia AI Partners with Snap Inc. Subsidiary to Pilot 3D Map Content Integration20.5.2022 13:00:00 CEST | Press release
Ecopia AI announced today that it was selected by a Snap Inc. subsidiary to provide high-precision vector mapping data. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220520005091/en/ Sample of the 3D Vector Map of Buildings and Vegetation Generated by Ecopia AI Leveraging Airbus Imagery (Photo: Business Wire) Ecopia leverages advanced AI-based mapping systems to mine the most up-to-date commercially-available geospatial imagery, accessed through its global partner network, outputting high-precision vector maps. For this initiative, Ecopia turned to Airbus for access to their global premium 30-50cm high-resolution imagery database, which is serving as the input imagery for large-scale map content production. “Ecopia has proven their ability to deliver highly-accurate mapping data at a large-scale with unparalleled speed,” said Snap, Inc subsidiary spokesperson. “Ecopia’s mission is to digitize the world using AI, offering hi
B2Broker Announced Annual Payments for B2Core, MarksMan, and B2Trader Products20.5.2022 10:00:00 CEST | Press release
B2Broker is excited to announce that it now offers an annual payment option for the three core products: MarksMan, B2Core, and B2Trader. With the introduction of this new plan, customers will be provided with a discount and a simpler approach to planning their budget. This change will allow the company to streamline its finances and improve cash flow. The annual plan is already applicable to all three products. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220520005015/en/ B2Broker Announced Annual Payments for B2Core, MarksMan, and B2Trader Products (Graphic: Business Wire) MarksMan Whether you're a seasoned pro or just getting started in the world of digital assets, MarksMan is the perfect solution. With support for spot and perpetual futures liquidity, along with easy access to liquidity pools on major crypto exchanges, MarksMan has everything you need. There's no better time to test it out than now, with the basic packa
Harm Reduction Policies Key to Improve Europeans’ Health20.5.2022 06:00:00 CEST | Press release
Yesterday, the Platform for Better Preventive Healthcare organised a policy briefing “What are the next steps for the EU addictions policy”, hosted by Czech Member of the European Parliament (MEP) Radka Maxová (Socialists and Democrats). The briefing gathered healthcare experts and political stakeholders to discuss the Report of the Special Committee on Beating Cancer (BECA) adopted last February by the European Parliament. The discussion focused on the impact of COVID-19 on mental health and addictions management. Recent data shows that the pandemic led to an increase in addictive behaviours related to alcohol, gambling, tobacco and digital addictions among Europeans. Deferring to the best available scientific evidence, the BECA Report acknowledged the importance of harm reduction policies like the use of harm reduction products such as e-cigarettes. The panel discussion echoed the Report’s recommendations and Prof. Viktor Mravčík, Head of Science at the Institute of Rational Addictio