Avalara Enhances VAT Solutions to Enable Global Businesses to Manage VAT Registrations, Calculations, and Reporting
Avalara, Inc. (NYSE: AVLR), a leading provider of cloud-based tax compliance automation for businesses of all sizes, today announced updated products to help businesses comply with new value-added tax (VAT) rules for ecommerce in the EU that went into effect July 1, 2021 — Avalara VAT Registration, Avalara AvaTax for VAT, and Avalara VAT Reporting. Over the past several years, an onslaught of significant VAT legislative changes has further burdened businesses selling into and throughout Europe. Businesses navigating the compliance complexities of global trade are seeking integrated solutions to keep pace with changing rules.
“The new EU ecommerce reforms have far-reaching impacts on international and domestic sellers doing business in Europe,” said Kevin Permenter, research manager, IDC. “B2B and B2C ecommerce businesses and marketplaces alike can benefit from automated solutions to simplify the entire VAT compliance life cycle from registrations to calculations to reporting.”
EU VAT reforms heap complexity onto businesses
On July 1, 2021, member states of the European Union (EU) rolled out significant changes to VAT obligations for B2C ecommerce, including the EU One-Stop Shop, the Import One-Stop Shop, and marketplace deemed supplier obligations. These reforms come as part of an effort to tackle the €137 billion ecommerce VAT fraud gap. Each reform brings changes and associated complexity for domestic and international sellers in the EU, including:
- One-Stop Shop (OSS) allows intra-EU sellers to report all their pan-EU distance sales on a single VAT return in their home country instead of having multiple VAT registrations across the EU. The aim is to boost cross-border online trade and promote trade across the EU’s digital single market by reducing compliance obligations.
- Import One-Stop Shop (IOSS) gives non-EU sellers the option to register for IOSS in just one EU state to declare the VAT on B2C sales and imports of consignments below €150. However, non-EU sellers may require an intermediary to register for IOSS. There are instances where a facilitating marketplace (see marketplace deemed supplier rules) or delivery service may step in to report and pay the VAT. If any seller chooses not to use the IOSS, the customer may have to pay the delivery or customs agent to access their goods.
- Marketplace deemed supplier requires online marketplaces to collect VAT in place of sellers as the deemed supplier. Due to the rapid increase on digital commerce, deemed supplier laws aim to ensure VAT is collected on all online sales, including those completed through marketplaces.
“These changes, which have been part of the EU road map, herald a massive opportunity for business growth. Businesses of all sizes and stripes, including ecommerce and marketplaces, can now start to unlock access to the world’s largest trading bloc,” said Salim Ali, senior vice president of International at Avalara.
Automate VAT compliance with Avalara
Avalara’s enhanced VAT compliance solutions provide global businesses with features that help navigate the new OSS, IOSS, and marketplace deemed supplier laws across the EU, as well as optimize overall VAT compliance through automation.
VAT registration management. Streamline the process of researching and obtaining VAT registrations for multiple countries:
- Avalara VAT Registration enables businesses to simplify the burdensome process of registering to collect VAT across 74 countries. This enables global retailers and marketplaces to:
- Streamline VAT registrations. Reduce time and money spent registering in every country by automating the process once in a single language and remove the manual back-and-forth process between businesses and tax authorities to receive approved registrations more quickly.
- Address fiscal representation requirements. Avoid delays and noncompliance with comprehensive fiscal representation. A fiscal representative is a local entity that represents a nonresident company and assumes joint liability for value-added tax (VAT) compliance. To date, 19 countries across the EU require foreign businesses to register a fiscal representative to manage queries and VAT return filing obligations with local tax authorities.
“Managing the process of VAT registrations on our own was time-consuming and complex, especially when it came to managing our marketplace transactions,” said Abi Lucas Maia, CEO at Yum Biltong LDA, a provider of high-quality biltong products. “Avalara VAT Registration saves time and frustration by making the process as simple as scanning the documents into the system and being able to walk away.”
VAT calculation management. Comply with new legislation and improve the accuracy of VAT calculations on domestic and cross-border transactions:
- Avalara AvaTax for VAT helps businesses calculate VAT with a greater degree of accuracy to comply with new compliance rules and regulations across the EU. This enables global retailers to:
- Increase VAT compliance. Reduce audit risk by applying up-to-date tax information across transactions when invoicing and charging customers.
- Improve operational efficiency. Free up resources dedicated to VAT calculations by automating the time-consuming process of aggregating and maintaining complex tax rates and rules across multiple systems. AvaTax for VAT automates updates with integrations into business systems like enterprise resource planning (ERP), point of sale (POS), ecommerce, and other customer applications.
- Enhance customer experience. Reduce surprise costs at delivery for international customers by taxing delivery duty paid (DPP) — where the seller takes responsibility for duties, taxes, and other fees — at checkout.
VAT reporting management. Streamline the VAT reporting process through automation with more accuracy and control. Avalara offers three tiers of VAT reporting platforms designed to fit reporting needs for businesses of all sizes:
- Avalara VAT Reporting for Small Business provides small businesses with an online self-service portal to simplify the management of international VAT returns. This enables small businesses to:
- Grow the business internationally. Reduce the complexity of VAT compliance as the small business grows into new international jurisdictions by using an up-to-date tax filing calendar and easy-to-use tools to format local VAT returns correctly.
- Increase business efficiency and data visibility. Save time, reduce the total cost of preparation and filing, and increase visibility into the entire filing process by using an online self-service portal.
- Avalara Managed VAT Reporting provides small to medium-sized businesses with an automated international VAT tax filing and returns solution to manage the entire VAT preparation and filing process across jurisdictions. In addition to the benefits of VAT Reporting for Small Business, this enables businesses to:
- Automate VAT reporting for multiple countries. Use intelligent automated preparation and filing technology to simplify the entire reporting process regardless of the number of channels used or countries sold to.
- Avalara Managed VAT Reporting Premium provides medium to large businesses with an outsourced solution for custom handling of VAT returns filing. In addition to the benefits of Managed VAT Reporting, this enables enterprises to:
- Reduce business disruption. Have a dedicated preparer to help ensure local VAT returns are filed correctly and on time, while reducing the need to train personnel and disrupt ongoing business processes.
“Europe is critical to the continued growth of sellers, retailers, and marketplaces," said Sanjay Parthasarathy, chief product officer at Avalara. "New compliance reforms and rules across the EU have created new complexities for international businesses and our enhanced VAT solutions provide them with the technology needed to simplify, streamline, and manage the entire VAT compliance life cycle.”
For additional information on Avalara’s VAT solutions, please click here.
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes get tax compliance right. In partnership with leading ERP, accounting, ecommerce, and other financial management system providers, Avalara delivers cloud-based compliance solutions for various transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, GST, excise, communications, lodging, and other indirect tax types. Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and around the world in Brazil, Europe, and India. More information at avalara.com.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Ipsen Strengthens Its Pre-clinical Oncology Pipeline With an Exclusive Worldwide-collaboration With BAKX Therapeutics Inc. for BKX-001, Targeting the Apoptosis Pathway27.7.2021 19:01:00 CEST | Press release
Regulatory News: Disclaimer: Intended for international media and investor audiences only Ipsen (Euronext: IPN; ADR: IPSEY) and BAKX Therapeutics Inc. have signed an exclusive worldwide-collaboration agreement to research, develop, manufacture and commercialize BKX-001 as a potential treatment for leukemia, lymphoma and solid tumors. Apoptosis is the naturally occurring process of programmed cell death. Deregulated apoptosis can lead to uncontrolled cell division and the development of a tumor.2 The apoptosis cell-signaling pathway has been proven to be a target for cancer therapy with the development and approval of BCL-2 inhibitors for the treatment of certain hematological malignancies.3 BAX is a novel target in this pathway that is downstream of all anti-apoptotic proteins like BCL-2, BCL-XL, MCL-1 etc.4 Direct activation of BAX has several possible outcomes as an investigational cancer therapy, potentially addressing multiple tumor types and the resistance encountered while target
Daikin Industries Becomes OCSiAl Shareholder27.7.2021 18:55:00 CEST | Press release
Japanese giant Daikin Industries, Ltd, has become a shareholder of the world’s largest producer of graphene nanotubes, OCSiAl, following three years of collaboration in developing graphene nanotube applications as a next-generation additive. Together, the companies are determined to develop high-performance materials and establish new markets. The signing of a share subscription agreement between Daikin Industries, a world-leading air conditioning company and a pioneer in fluorine technologies, and OCSiAl, the world’s largest producer of graphene nanotubes and related industrial solutions, was supported by prior joint developments and market evaluation. In accordance with the terms of the agreement, the valuation of OCSiAl is about USD $2 billion. Along with the subscription agreement, the two companies have signed a cooperation agreement to develop, produce, and market graphene nanotube solutions for next-generation Li-ion batteries and fluoropolymers, which comprise a substantial par
V.E, part of Moody’s ESG Solutions, provides Second Party Opinion on Colombia’s Sovereign Green Bond Framework and Inaugural Issuance27.7.2021 17:58:00 CEST | Press release
V.E, part of Moody’s ESG Solutions, published today a Second Party Opinion (SPO) on Colombia’s Sovereign Green Bond Framework and inaugural issuance. The SPO assesses four main components: the framework’s level of contribution to sustainability, its alignment with international standards, its coherence with Colombia’s strategic sustainability priorities, and Colombia’s environmental, social and governance (ESG) performance. “Proceeds from the green instruments issued under Colombia’s framework will provide a ‘robust’ contribution to sustainability, the second-highest level on our four-point scale,” said Adriana Cruz Felix, Head of Sustainable Finance Research at V.E. “The issuance will fund projects to protect biodiversity as well as build climate change resilience and adaptation, thereby reinforcing the capacity of Colombia’s institutions to address key environmental challenges.” In V.E’s opinion, the framework and portfolio of eligible expenditures are aligned with the four core comp
DYSIS Announces New Compact and Portable Colposcope Design with Computer-Aided Cervical Mapping27.7.2021 17:30:00 CEST | Press release
DYSIS Medical Inc. is excited to announce the launch of DYSIS® View, a compact and portable colposcope, which includes the company’s innovative computer-aided cervical mapping technology that helps healthcare professionals detect cervical lesions more clearly. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210727005846/en/ DYSIS View | Computer-Aided Colposcopy with Cervical Mapping (Photo: Business Wire) The DYSIS family of colposcopes include the novel DYSISmap, which is a color-coded summary of the acetowhitening effect of the patient’s cervix. Colors are allocated on the map depending on the acetowhitening changes measured by DYSIS during the examination. This data helps healthcare professionals improve biopsy selection. In the IMPROVE-COLPO study, when map-assisted biopsies were added to colposcopy exams, detection of patients with CIN2+ increased by 44%1. “We are thrilled to bring DYSIS View to market to complement our
Exchanger Industries Limited Acquires HRS Heat Exchangers27.7.2021 17:00:00 CEST | Press release
Exchanger Industries Limited (“EIL”), the Canadian market leader and globally recognized designer and manufacturer of heat transfer products for the energy, petrochemical, industrial and clean power generation sectors, has acquired HRS Heat Exchangers Ltd. ("HRS"). Financial terms were not disclosed. HRS is widely recognized as the pre-eminent, international specialist supplier of heat exchangers and custom process systems across the environmental, food, beverage, and pharmaceutical sectors. The seasoned HRS management team will be retained by EIL and play a critical role in executing plans for robust international expansion afforded by the strategic combination of two distinct, yet complementary industry leaders. “For decades, we’ve worked hard on behalf of our customers in Canada, the U.S. and 25 countries worldwide, consistently providing them with mission-critical, innovative solutions in some of the most demanding environments,” stated Mark el Baroudi, EIL’s CEO. “The HRS acquisit
Quanergy’s 3D LiDAR Helps Waste Incineration Plant Optimize Recycling Process and Reduce Environmental Impact in China27.7.2021 16:18:00 CEST | Press release
Quanergy Systems, Inc., a leading provider of OPA-based solid state LiDAR sensors and smart 3D solutions for automotive and IoT, today announced a new smart LiDAR deployment automating waste plant operations, to ensure process efficiency and minimize the environmental impact of a waste-to-energy incineration plant in China. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210727005789/en/ Quanergy’s 3D LiDAR Helps Waste Incineration Plant Optimize Recycling Process and Reduce Environmental Impact in China (Graphic: Business Wire) Deployed in collaboration with Hunan University, one of China’s top engineering research universities, and Hunan Qiaokang Bridge Health Intelligent Technology for Puxiang Bioenergy, Quanergy’s high accuracy M-Series 3D LiDAR sensors were applied to scan the surface of the waste piles at the incineration plant and create a 3D point cloud image, to accurately calculate the volume of the waste. The LiDAR
Andersen Global Enhances Gambian Foothold with Payce Consulting27.7.2021 15:30:00 CEST | Press release
Andersen Global continues its Africa expansion with the addition of collaborating firm Payce Consulting, adding dimension to the organization’s existing presence in The Gambia. Payce Consulting, founded in 2014 by Partner Paul Gaye, serves the public and private sectors at the local and international level including financial institutions, education, industrial and commerce, transportation, fish processing and export, hotel and leisure, seaport, energy, agriculture, information technology and government agencies. The tax and advisory firm provides corporate finance, business advisory, business structuring and insolvency, outsourcing, financial services and portfolio management services to clients. “Our client-focused approach, extensive industry knowledge and commitment to best-in-class service have allowed us to develop and maintain strong client relationships,” Paul said. “Our collaboration with Andersen Global is the next step for our firm as we look to provide our clients with the