American Express Launches 2021 Global Travel Trends Report
American Express (NYSE: AXP) released the American Express Travel: Global Travel Trends Report today, which provides unique insight into consumer sentiment toward travel nearly one year after the COVID-19 pandemic began. The findings in the report, grounded in survey research across seven countries, including the United States, Australia, India, Canada, Mexico, Japan and the United Kingdom1, demonstrates that consumers are looking forward to traveling again and that they are planning for future trips.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210309005322/en/
American Express Travel: Global Travel Trends Report Finds Consumers are Looking Forward to Traveling Again (Graphic: Business Wire)
Top insights include:
- Strong Pent-Up Demand for Travel: 87% of people surveyed said that having a trip planned in the future gives them something to look forward to, 76% of respondents are creating their destination wish list for future travel even though they might not be able to travel yet and 63% of respondents said that they are saving their credit card points so they can go on a vacation once they feel comfortable traveling.
- Ready to Book Now: 56% of respondents said that they miss traveling so much that they are willing to book a trip now even if they might have to cancel it in the future.
- Rise of The Digital Nomad: 54% of respondents said that the freedom and flexibility of being able to live and work while traveling the globe is more appealing now than it was prior to the pandemic.
- Safety is a Priority: 65% of respondents said they plan to travel after they and their family members have received a vaccine for COVID-19.
- Privacy is the New Ultimate Luxury: 75% of respondents agree that the experiences that offer ultimate privacy is becoming a key sought-after feature of luxury travel.
- Increase in Sustainable Travel: 68% of respondents agree they are trying to be more aware of sustainability-friendly travel brands to support.
“Our latest global trends report shows that there is a pent-up demand for travel among consumers, with many people longing for and beginning to plan future trips,” said Audrey Hendley, President of American Express Travel. “In addition, the pandemic environment is giving rise to emerging trends, such as the increasing appeal of working from anywhere while traveling globally, luxury being defined as more personalized experiences, cleanliness and privacy as the ultimate luxury amenities, as well as a growing interest in the environmental and social purpose of their trips and travel companies.”
Here’s a look at key findings from the report:
CONSUMERS ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO TRAVELING AGAIN
People are finding hope and comfort in thinking about and even planning future trips.
- Travel to Uplift Health & Wellness: 78% of respondents indicate wanting to travel in 2021 to relieve the stresses from 2020.
- Planning and Paying for Future Travel: One in three say they will more frequently use travel credits or points to pay for all or part of a trip in 2021 than they did prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Making Up for Missed Travel: 61% of survey respondents plan to spend more than they normally would on a trip in 2021 since they could not travel in 2020.
- Consumers Willing to Make Sacrifices to Travel: 64% of respondents miss traveling so much that they would be willing to give up social media for a month to be able to go on vacation.
- Culinary Tourism is Here to Stay: 62% of respondents say that eating is the top activity they are interested in doing while traveling, and American Express Travel booking data for January 2021 shows foodie centric cities as top destinations for U.S. and International Card Members. Miami, San Francisco, Chicago and Houston are hot spots for U.S. American Express Card Members2 whereas Mexico City, Singapore and Tokyo are topping the list for International American Express Card Members3.
THE NEW TRAVEL MINDSET
With regular changes to booking policies, travel offers, and new destinations to consider, there is a new travel mindset today.
- Luxury Travel: The pandemic has changed peoples’ perception of luxury travel with personalized experiences (82%), high cleanliness standards (81%) and privacy (79%) being the most desirable luxury amenities among respondents1. 59% indicate that they want to use a travel agent to help plan and customize their next trip and 80% indicate they are willing to travel to destinations during the offseason so that it's less crowded.
- Surge in ‘Second-City’ Destinations: 69% of respondents are interested in visiting lesser-known destinations and American Express Travel booking data reinforces this trend, showing a rise in reservations for second-city destinations. For example, Dallas and Charlotte saw a higher share of bookings from International Card Members in January 2021 than the previous year4 and American Express Travel consultants are seeing requests for smaller cities like Porto (instead of Lisbon) in Portugal, and Wellington (instead of Auckland) in New Zealand.
TRAVELING WITH PURPOSE
Consumers are becoming more conscious travelers, are more aware of travel companies aligned with their values and will journey to destinations where they can have a positive impact on communities.
- Backing Local Communities: 72% of respondents agree that they are passionate about traveling to destinations to help boost tourism revenue and the local economy1.
- Supporting Travel Brands that Prioritize Diversity & Inclusion: 69% of respondents agree that they want to choose an airline/hotel that values diversity and inclusion, and whose employees reflect a diverse customer base.
- Carbon Conscious Travelers: 60% of respondents agree they want to book airlines that have a carbon neutral commitment.
American Express Travel’s 4,500 travel consultants provide customers with world-class service, where high-tech meets high-touch support, 24/7. To give customers more value and confidence whenever they’re ready to travel, the company has rolled out a number of discounts and offers across hotel, air and car rentals and extended American Express Travel cancellation fee waivers through the end of September. To find out more visit AmexTravel.com.
For additional findings and more information on the American Express Travel: Global Travel Trends Report, visit here.
AMERICAN EXPRESS TRAVEL: GLOBAL TRAVEL TRENDS REPORT METHODOLOGY
1 This Amex Trendex online poll was conducted by Morning Consult between January 15-24, 2021 among a national sample of 1,000 travelers in Australia, Canada, India, Japan, Mexico and the U.K., and 2,000 in the U.S. $70k+ USD household income (HHI) equivalent in Australia, Canada, Japan, the U.K. and the U.S., $50k+ USD equivalent HHI in Mexico, and $20k+ USD equivalent household income in India. Travelers defined as adults who traveled by air at least once in 2019. Results have a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points in the U.S.; plus or minus 3 percentage points in the other countries.
2 Based on U.S. Card Member flight and hotel bookings made through American Express Travel in January 2021
3 Based on International Card Member flight and hotel bookings made through American Express Travel in January 2021
4Based on International Card Member hotel and air bookings made through American Express Travel in January 2021 compared to January 2020.
ABOUT AMERICAN EXPRESS
American Express is a globally integrated payments company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, instagram.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/company/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.
Key links to products, services and corporate responsibility information: charge and credit cards, business credit cards, travel services, gift cards, prepaid cards, merchant services, Accertify, InAuth, corporate card, business travel, and corporate responsibility.
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
XPRIZE and Musk Foundation Announce Guidelines and Open Registration for $100M XPRIZE Carbon Removal23.4.2021 01:23:00 CEST | Press release
XPRIZE, the global leader in designing and implementing innovative competition models to solve the world’s grand challenges, today announced the official launch of $100 Million XPRIZE Carbon Removal with the opening of team registration and the release of the competition guidelines. The announcement comes shortly after Peter H. Diamandis,XPRIZE founder and executive chairman, and Elon Musk sat down for a live stream hosted on Twitter to discuss the importance of spurring carbon removal solutions, the climate crisis, and the launch of the largest incentive prize in history. The conversation was followed by a virtual question and answer hosted by Marcius Extavour, vice president of climate and environment at XPRIZE, and XPRIZE’s chief impact officer, Zenia Tata. Funded by the Musk Foundation, $100M XPRIZE Carbon Removal is aimed at tackling climate change by asking global innovators to develop solutions that can pull carbon dioxide directly from the atmosphere or oceans and lock it away
Verimatrix To Participate in SportsPro Live Virtual Panel: How To Transform Physical Spaces into Digital Ecosystems22.4.2021 17:45:00 CEST | Press release
Regulatory News: Verimatrix, (Paris:VMX) (Euronext Paris: VMX), the leader in powering the modern connected world with people-centered security, today announced that Lu Bolden, Chief Revenue Officer, is slated to participate in a SportsPro Live virtual panel discussion from 9:10 to 9:55 a.m. Central Time on Thursday, April 29. The event, which unites sports and technology professionals from across the globe, aims to prepare the industries for the future of sport. Bolden’s panel is slated to take place in the South Stand and discuss how technology can connect the in-venue experience to create more revenue opportunities. The group, moderated by Mike Bohndiek, CEO of PTI Digital Group, will also discuss what strategies and technologies can best deliver the new digital experiences. Other speakers on the panel include: Michael Cole, Chief Technology Officer, PGA European Tour and Ryder Cup Europe Adam Heintz, Senior Vice President, Business Intelligence, Monumental Sports & Entertainment “T
Rajeev Bhalla Named Director of Board at Next Level Aviation22.4.2021 17:39:00 CEST | Press release
Seasoned senior finance executive Rajeev Bhalla has been named a Director of the Board at Next Level Aviation, a leader in the aerospace used serviceable materials (USM) market. He brings wide-ranging financial, operational, and strategic expertise to the company as it plans substantial growth in the coming years, both organically and through acquisition. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210422005834/en/ Rajeev Bhalla has been named Director of the Board of Next Level Aviation. He will help guide the company’s planned growth in the coming years, both organically and through acquisition. (Photo: Business Wire) Bhalla’s background includes demonstrated discipline and expertise in finance, governance, and team development. This comes through current work as a Cerberus Operating Partner, board of director roles as well as experience in a number of successful companies. Notably, those include: Circor International,
Medical Aesthetic Products’ Manufacturer Croma-Pharma Launches “Croma is More” E-Learning Series for Health Care Professionals22.4.2021 17:00:00 CEST | Press release
Croma-Pharma GmbH (Croma) always strives to support physicians in their work in the best possible way. For this reason, the company has developed an interactive e-learning platform with continuing education offerings for physicians working in the field of minimally invasive aesthetic. In this way, Croma aims to help health care professionals achieve sustainable growth and success in their medical clinics/practices. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210422005727/en/ Social Media Training for Health Care Professionals Copyright: Croma-Pharma GmbH (Graphic: Business Wire) Medical professionals can choose from a broad variety of different formats: Social Media & Online Marketing Facial Anatomy Workshops Aesthetic Startup Academy Aesthetic Excellence A variety of topics is presented by Industry experts. All the content comes with lifetime access hence the health care professionals can learn on their own schedule and
PerkinElmer Supports PROXIDRUGS Consortium Aimed at Advancing Targeted Protein Degradation/PROTAC Drugs22.4.2021 16:44:00 CEST | Press release
PerkinElmer, Inc., a global leader committed to innovating for a healthier world, today announced that it is serving as a provider and co-developer of assays, instrument solutions and expertise for the PROXIDRUGS Consortium which is zeroing in on research for proximity drugs or PROTACs (PROteolysis Targeting Chimeras). PROTACs are a new class of drugs that take advantage of the body’s own cell protein recycling system to fight disease by tapping into the 80% of disease-relevant proteins that are currently untargeted by today’s available therapeutics. Led by Goethe University in Frankfurt, Germany, the Consortium includes researchers from the Technical University of Darmstadt, the Fraunhofer Institute for Translational Medicine and Pharmacology, and global pharmaceutical companies based in Frankfurt’s Rhine-Main region. The research project, starting October 2021, aims to streamline novel drug target validation by putting disease-relevant proteins in close proximity with key enzymes (su
Xsolla Acquires Slemma, an Advanced Data Analytics and Visualization Company22.4.2021 16:00:00 CEST | Press release
Xsolla, the video game commerce company powered by its Transaction Engine and Business Engine to help developers and publishers market, sell, connect and optimize their games globally, has announced the acquisition of Slemma, an advanced data analytics and visualization reporting platform. The web-based tools allow users to create simple, easy-to-use and dynamic data reports with customizable dashboards. Xsolla will integrate Slemma’s product suite into the Publisher Account to provide clients with next-level data visualizations, even connecting to third party tools and services including Amazon RDS, Microsoft Azure, Google Analytics, Facebook, Twitter, Zendesk, Salesforce and many more. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210422005443/en/ Xsolla acquires Slemma, a robust data analytics and visualization platform. (Graphic: Business Wire) “Everything we do at Xsolla focuses on providing the best experience, tools
Serie A Club Parma Calcio Signs Deal with Stats Perform for Access to the Most Sophisticated Player Identification Tool—Edge Recruitment22.4.2021 15:49:00 CEST | Press release
Today, Stats Perform, the sports tech leader in data and AI, announced a deal with Italian football club Parma Calcio, recently purchased by Iowa-based Krause Group, which will see the Serie A side become the first club worldwide to access the innovative Edge Recruitment platform, the industry’s most sophisticated player identification tool. Since the emergence of technical scouting during the mid-2000s, recruitment analysts have been using data to assess prospects through the lens of traditional on-field position labels. Launched earlier this season, Edge Recruitment introduces a new method of assessing players, applying multiple AI-powered models to profile players based on their role in a team. At the heart of Edge Recruitment is Role Discovery, a model which detects 18 different types of role all over the pitch based on a player’s spatial tendencies, contributions to different phases of play, possession involvement, distribution and shooting tendencies. Through applying Role Discov