Aerogen Collaborates on Development of More Than 15 Potential COVID-19 Inhaled Therapies
Aerogen, the global leader in aerosol drug delivery, today announced details of a broad collaborative effort to support pharmaceutical companies from around the world as they work to develop COVID-19 vaccines and treatments. To date, more than ten million patients globally have been treated safely and effectively with Aerogen’s drug delivery technology 1,5–7. As the global scientific community rallies against the pandemic, there has been unprecedented interest in inhaled delivery of antiviral drugs, leading to Aerogen’s involvement in multiple COVID-19 drug development initiatives with leading pharmaceutical companies and prominent academic groups.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201022006039/en/
Aerogen Ultra (Photo: Business Wire)
Aerogen’s closed-circuit nebulizer technology, which addresses key concerns around safety and improves patient outcomes5–8, is being used in hospitals across the globe to deliver aerosolized medication to critically-ill ventilated COVID-19 patients1. Aerogen was quick to anticipate the critical role that development of new inhaled drugs will ultimately play in the COVID-19 response, and in March of this year formed a COVID response unit to support projects researching potential treatments and vaccines. This response unit is now working with pharmaceutical companies worldwide to ensure safe delivery of inhaled therapies. Several of these collaborations are already in clinical trials, with others on track to enter studies on moderately and severely ill COVID-19 patients over the weeks and months ahead.
In one such collaboration, Aerogen has signed an agreement with Synairgen plc, a Southampton, UK-based biotechnology company, to provide the market-leading Aerogen® Solo/Ultra nebulizer system for delivery of SNG001 directly into the lungs of COVID-19 patients. SNG001 is an inhaled interferon beta that stimulates the innate immune system. Initial investigation of SNG001 as a potential COVID-19 treatment has been promising – hospitalized patients receiving SNG001 were at reduced risk of developing severe disease and more than twice as likely to recover to the ‘no limitation of activities’ level on the ordinal scale over the course of treatment9,10.
“Aerogen is a highly regarded global company known for providing safe and effective aerosol drug delivery,” said Richard Marsden, CEO of Synairgen. “Ensuring that SGN001 is paired with optimal delivery technology is a vital component of our work to bring this potential treatment to market at scale. Aerogen is our choice because of its proven reputation for drug delivery efficiency and reliability, suitability for use with a wide range of ventilatory support modalities, established high-volume manufacturing and prior regulatory approvals across the globe.”
“In the early days of the pandemic, hospitals were discouraged from using any type of aerosol for COVID-19 treatment – which is understandable given the nature of the virus,” said John Power, CEO and Founder of Aerogen. “Now, it’s clear to health systems worldwide that aerosol drug delivery can be done with improved safety but is an absolute necessity for managing this global crisis. COVID-19 has only reinforced the important role Aerogen plays in safely and effectively delivering treatments to patients across the world, and we’re proud to work with innovators like Synairgen as part of the research and development process for potential COVID-19 vaccines and treatments.”
The Aerogen Solo is a closed-system, single patient use (vibrating mesh) aerosol drug delivery technology offering superior performance across all hospital ventilation modalities5–7,11. Designed for the safety of both the patient and the caregiver, Aerogen’s closed-circuit design enables the only global aerosol drug delivery system which mitigates the transmission of patient-generated infectious aerosol during ventilation12,13. Aerogen is committed to working with pharmaceutical companies worldwide to meet the current global demand for inhaled delivery of antiviral drugs and offers industry-leading expertise and technology in combination with a proven track record in the development of inhalation therapeutics. For more information on Aerogen’s products, please visit www.aerogen.com/products.
For more information on Aerogen’s role in the fight against COVID-19, www.aerogen.com/covid-19.
Aerogen is the world’s leading medical device company specializing in the design, manufacture and commercialization of aerosol drug delivery systems. Aerogen’s patented vibrating mesh technology turns liquid medication into a fine particle mist, gently and effectively delivering drugs to the lungs of patients11,14,15. Aerogen’s innovative products, such as the Aerogen® Solo and Aerogen® Ultra, significantly improve aerosol drug delivery resulting in better patient care throughout the Hospital across all ages5–8,16. Founded in Galway, Ireland in 1997, Aerogen has grown to become the global leader in high performance aerosol drug delivery and has partnered its technology with the leading mechanical ventilation companies1. Aerogen technology is used by millions of patients and caregivers in over 75 countries worldwide1.
- Aerogen Internal data on file, Aug 2020.
- Ari A. Practical strategies for a safe and effective delivery of aerosolized medications to patients with COVID-19. Respir. Med. 2020; 167. doi:10.1016/j.rmed.2020.105987.
- Respiratory care committee of Chinese Thoracic Society. [Expert consensus on preventing nosocomial transmission during respiratory care for critically ill patients infected by 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia]. Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi 2020; 17: E020.
- Cinesi Gómez C, Peñuelas Rodríguez Ó, Luján Torné M, Egea Santaolalla C, Masa Jiménez JF, García Fernández J et al. Clinical consensus recommendations regarding non-invasive respiratory support in the adult patient with acute respiratory failure secondary to SARS-CoV-2 infection. Med Intensiva (English Ed 2020; 44: 429–438.
- Avdeev S, Nuraieva G, Soe AK, Fink JB. Comparison of response to aerosol drug delivery with mesh and jet nebulizers during non-invasive ventilation (NIV) in acute exacerbation of COPD. Poster ERS 2017; 50: PA1894.
- Reminiac F, Vecellio L, Bodet-Contentin L, Gissot V, Le Pennec D, Salmon Gandonniere C et al. Nasal high-flow bronchodilator nebulization: a randomized cross-over study. Ann Intensive Care 2018; 8: 128.
- Dunne RB, Shortt S. Comparison of bronchodilator administration with vibrating mesh nebulizer and standard jet nebulizer in the emergency department. Am J Emerg Med 2018; 4: 641–646.
- Moody GB, Luckett PM, Shockley CM, Huang R, Ari A. Clinical Efficacy of Vibrating Mesh and Jet Nebulizers With Different Interfaces in Pediatric Subjects With Asthma. Respir Care 2020; : respcare.07538.
- Synairgen plc. Synairgen announces positive results from trial of SNG001 in hospitalised COVID-19 patients. Press release, https://www.synairgen.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/200720-Synairgen-announces-positive-results-from-trial-of-SNG001-in-hospitalised-COVID-19-patients.pdf.
- Synairgen Plc. Interim results for the six months ended 30 June 2020. Press release, https://www.synairgen.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/200929-Synairgen-Interim-Results-final.pdf.
- Dugernier J, Reychler G, Wittebole X, Roeseler J, Depoortere V, Sottiaux T et al. Aerosol delivery with two ventilation modes during mechanical ventilation: a randomized study. Ann Intensive Care 2016; 6: 73.
- O’Toole C, McGrath JA, Joyce M, Bennett G, Byrne MA, MacLoughlin R. Fugitive Aerosol Therapy Emissions during Mechanical Ventilation: In Vitro Assessment of the Effect of Tidal Volume and Use of Protective Filters. Aerosol Air Qual Res 2020; 20. doi:10.4209/aaqr.2020.04.0176.
- Aerogen Solo System Instruction Manual. Aerogen Ltd. P/N 30-354, Part No. AG-AS3050.
- Dugernier J, Hesse M, Vanbever R, Depoortere V, Roeseler J, Michotte JB et al. SPECT-CT Comparison of Lung Deposition using a System combining a Vibrating-mesh Nebulizer with a Valved Holding Chamber and a Conventional Jet Nebulizer: a Randomized Cross-over Study. Pharm Res 2017; 34: 290–300.
- Dugernier J, Hesse M, Jumetz T, Bialais E, Roeseler J, Depoortere V et al. Aerosol Delivery with Two Nebulizers Through High-Flow Nasal Cannula: A Randomized Cross-Over Single-Photon Emission Computed Tomography-Computed Tomography Study. J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv 2017; 30: 349–358.
- Cantu T, Jenkins L. Quality Improvement Project to Compare Vibrating Mesh Nebulizer Therapy With Hour Long Jet Nebulizer Therapy for Albuterol Delivery in Asthma and Reactive Airway Disorder Patients in a Pediatric Emergency Department. Respir Care 2019; 64.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
For further information, please contact:
Global Customer Marketing Manager, Aerogen
Tel: +353 91 540237
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
EIG-Led Consortium Closes $12.4 Billion Infrastructure Deal with Aramco18.6.2021 21:02:00 CEST | Press release
EIG,a leading institutional investor to the global energy sector and one of the world’s leading infrastructure investors, today announced the closing of its previously announced transaction with Saudi Arabian Oil Co. (“Aramco”), under which a consortium of investors acquired a 49% equity stake in Aramco Oil Pipelines Company (“Aramco Oil Pipelines”), a newly formed entity with rights to 25 years of tariff payments for oil transported through Aramco’s stabilized crude oil pipeline network. The EIG-led co-investment process in Aramco Oil Pipelines attracted a global group of leading institutional investors from China, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Korea, the United Arab Emirates and the United States including, amongst others, Mubadala Investment Company, an Abu Dhabi Sovereign Investor, Silk Road Fund, Hassana and Samsung Asset Management. R. Blair Thomas, EIG Chairman and CEO, said: “We are pleased to have completed this transaction with Aramco, a preeminent global energy supplier. The
Moody's ESG Solutions: V.E provides Second Party Opinion on Desjardins’ Sustainable Bond Framework18.6.2021 18:13:00 CEST | Press release
Moody's ESG Solutions announced today that V.E has provided a Second Party Opinion (SPO) on Desjardins’ Sustainable Bond Framework. The framework will be used to finance and refinance projects tied to eight environmental categories and three social categories, including Renewable Energy, Green Buildings, and Affordable Housing. In V.E’s opinion, the framework is aligned with the four core components of the Green Bond Principles (2018) and the Social Bond Principles (2020). “In our assessment, the bonds issued via this framework will provide an ‘advanced’ contribution to sustainability objectives, as we see significant and consistent evidence that the proceeds will be allocated to environmentally and socially focused projects throughout Canada and several emerging markets,” said Patrick Mispagel, Managing Director – Sustainable Finance at Moody’s ESG Solutions. “We expect to see growth in sustainability efforts in North America in order to meet increasing global regulatory requirements
Potential sale of HSBC SFH (France): Signing of a Memorandum of Understanding18.6.2021 15:30:00 CEST | Press release
NOT FOR RELEASE, PUBLICATION OR DISTRIBUTION, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, IN OR INTO OR FROM ANY JURISDICTION WHERE TO DO SO WOULD CONSTITUTE A VIOLATION OF THE RELEVANT LAWS OR REGULATIONS OF SUCH JURISDICTION HSBC Continental Europe (‘HBCE’) has today signed a Memorandum of Understanding (‘MOU’) with Promontoria MMB SAS (‘My Money Group’), its subsidiary Banque des Caraïbes SA (the ‘Purchaser’) and My Money Bank (‘MMB’), regarding the potential sale of HBCE’s retail banking business in France. My Money Group, MMB and the Purchaser are under the control, directly or indirectly, of funds and accounts managed or advised by Cerberus Capital Management L.P. The potential sale includes: HBCE’s French retail banking business; the Crédit Commercial de France (‘CCF’) brand; and, subject to the satisfaction of relevant conditions, HBCE’s 3% ownership interest in Crédit Logement, its 100% ownership interest in HSBC SFH (France) (‘HSFH’), and the transfer of rights and obligatio
UFC® Names Lumen® the Official Metabolic Tracker of the UFC Performance Institute18.6.2021 15:30:00 CEST | Press release
UFC®, the world’s premier mixed martial arts organization, has named Lumen® the Official Metabolic Tracker of the UFC Performance Institute®. To launch the new partnership, select UFC athletes will be using Lumen as a tool to optimize their performance under the guidance of the nutrition team at the UFC Performance Institute (UFC PI). These athletes will have access to real-time metabolic data to help improve their nutrition, performance, and body composition through optimizing their metabolic health and flexibility. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210618005278/en/ Dustin Poirier and Lumen (Photo: Business Wire) “The UFC PI strives to support athletes in fueling their body to achieve championship performances while also maintaining optimal health, all while meeting the weight management demands of mixed martial arts,” said Clint Wattenberg, UFC PI Director of Performance Nutrition. “Metabolic health and metabo
Sale of Retail Banking Business in France18.6.2021 15:30:00 CEST | Press release
HSBC Continental Europe (‘HBCE’) has today signed a Memorandum of Understanding (‘MOU’) with Promontoria MMB SAS (‘My Money Group’), its subsidiary Banque des Caraïbes SA (the ‘Purchaser’) and My Money Bank (‘MMB’), regarding the potential sale of HBCE’s retail banking business in France. My Money Group, MMB and the Purchaser are under the control, directly or indirectly, of funds and accounts managed or advised by Cerberus Capital Management L.P. Commenting on the Potential Transaction, Jean Beunardeau, HBCE CEO said: “This potential transaction is an important step towards achieving our strategic goal of being a leading wholesale bank in Continental Europe for Corporate and Investment Banking, Markets and Private Banking, anchored in Paris, connecting our customers to HSBC’s global network, and providing access to Continental Europe for HSBC’s customers around the world. As importantly, this potential transaction would allow HSBC’s French retail banking business to be sold to an expe
Hilton Doubles Down on Las Vegas Growth with Rapidly Expanding Portfolio and Grand Return to the Strip18.6.2021 15:07:00 CEST | Press release
After revolutionizing the Las Vegas hospitality experience decades ago, Hilton is building on its storied legacy in time for the return to travel by almost doubling its presence in the sought-after global destination over the past three years. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210618005335/en/ Resorts World Las Vegas – Exterior (Photo: Business Wire) The company is slated to have more than 30 hotels and over 11,000 rooms across 12 brands in the market by the end of 2021. On the heels of Virgin Hotels Las Vegas, CurioCollection by Hilton’s June opening celebration, and just weeks before the anticipated debut of Conrad Hotels & Resorts, LXR Hotels & Resorts and Hilton Hotels & Resorts at the integrated Resorts World Las Vegas complex, Hilton is making an epic return to this top-tier travel destination, bringing new premium and luxury brands to the Strip. “Hilton helped create the Las Vegas we know today – the ente
Toshiba's Chairperson of the Board of Directors Issues Open Letter to Its Shareholders18.6.2021 11:06:00 CEST | Press release
Toshiba Corporation (TOKYO:6502) today announced that Osamu Nagayama, Chairperson of Toshiba’s Board of Directors, has issued an open letter to the company's shareholders. The full text of the letter is as follows: Dear Shareholders As the Chairperson of the Board of Directors of Toshiba Corporation ("Toshiba", the "Company"), I would like to express my deep regret regarding recent unacceptable events at the Company which have eroded your trust in us. You would have seen that we have already taken decisive and immediate action following the release of the Investigation Report, amending the slate of nominees for directors, committee members and executive officers ahead of the upcoming AGM on June 25. I, together with the Board, am fully committed to ensuring we improve your Company's governance fundamentally and enhance its corporate value. United, we shall be taking the following concrete steps with urgency: In order to stop recurrence, we will conduct an inquiry, with third party part