Galderma Phase III Data Published in the New England Journal of Medicine: Full OLYMPIA 2 Trial Results Demonstrate Nemolizumab’s Rapid Onset of Action in Prurigo Nodularis Patients
Galderma today announced that the New England Journal of Medicine has published full results from the phase III OLYMPIA 2 trial evaluating the efficacy and safety of nemolizumab monotherapy in adults with prurigo nodularis. The trial met both primary and all key secondary endpoints, demonstrating that nemolizumab-treated patients had significantly higher improvements in itch and skin lesions when compared to those receiving placebo, with a rapid and clinically meaningful response on itch, observed as early as week 4. Nemolizumab was well tolerated, and its safety profile was consistent with phase II trial results.1
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20231025119481/en/
“We are proud that the clinical trial results of nemolizumab in prurigo nodularis have been published in the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine for a second time, which is testament to the robustness of our scientific method and quality of evidence supporting its efficacy. We believe nemolizumab has the potential to be a rapidly effective treatment option for patients with prurigo nodularis, with improvements on itch and skin lesions observed as early as week 4.”
FLEMMING ØRNSKOV, M.D., MPH
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
The phase III OLYMPIA 2 trial enrolled 274 adult patients with moderate to severe prurigo nodularis. Results demonstrated that patients treated with nemolizumab monotherapy (without background topical corticosteroids or topical calcineurin inhibitors) showed clinically meaningful and statistically significant improvements in both primary endpoints, compared to placebo, after 16 weeks of treatment:
- More than twice as many nemolizumab-treated patients achieved an at least four-point improvement in itch intensity, as measured by the peak-pruritus numerical rating scale (PP-NRS), when compared to the placebo group (56.3% vs 20.9%; p<0.0001).
- More than three times as many nemolizumab-treated patients reached clearance or almost-clearance of skin lesions, when assessed using the investigator’s global assessment score, compared to the placebo group (37.7% vs 11.0%; p<0.0001).
The trial also met all key secondary endpoints confirming rapid responses on itch and sleep disturbance as early as week 4:
- More than five times as many nemolizumab-treated patients achieved itch response when compared to the placebo group (41.0% vs 7.7%; p<0.001), as measured by a four-point or greater reduction in PP-NRS score.
- More than eight times as many patients achieved a PP-NRS score of less than two, when compared to the placebo group (19.7% vs 2.2%; p<0.001). Results improved through to week 16 (35.0% vs 7.7%; p<0.001).
- More than three times as many nemolizumab-treated patients demonstrated a four-point improvement in sleep disturbance, as measured by the sleep disturbance numerical rating scale, when compared to the placebo group (37.2% vs 9.9%; p<0.001). Results improved through to week 16 (51.9% vs 20.9%; p<0.001).
Nemolizumab is an investigational monoclonal antibody specifically designed to target the IL-31 receptor and inhibit IL-31 signaling. IL-31 plays a key role in multiple disease mechanisms in prurigo nodularis, including itch signaling, epidermal changes and fibrosis.3-7 This includes directly addressing the source of itch, which causes sleep disturbance and negatively impacts quality of life outcomes.4-8
“Chronic itch is by far the most burdensome symptom for patients with prurigo nodularis, and this is often poorly controlled. The fact that nemolizumab – by inhibiting IL-31 signaling – has the potential to provide a new treatment type that rapidly improves both itch and skin lesions is exciting news.”
DR SHAWN KWATRA, M.D., PH.D.
LEAD STUDY AUTHOR
PROFESSOR OF DERMATOLOGY AT JOHN HOPKINS UNIVERSITY
DIRECTOR, JOHNS HOPKINS ITCH CENTER, UNITED STATES
Galderma is investigating the use of nemolizumab and has not received approval in any jurisdiction for any indication. Nemolizumab was granted Breakthrough Therapy designation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in December 2019 for the treatment of itch associated with prurigo nodularis, a status reconfirmed in March 2023. Results from the phase III OLYMPIA 2 trial will be submitted to selected health authorities around the world.
About prurigo nodularis
Prurigo nodularis is a debilitating chronic skin condition characterized by thick skin nodules covering large body areas and associated with intense itch (pruritus).3,9-10 Prurigo nodularis affects an estimated 72 out of every 100,000 adults aged 18 to 64 in the United States. It is more common in middle-aged women and, disproportionately, people of African descent.3,11
Nemolizumab is in clinical development for the treatment of atopic dermatitis and prurigo nodularis in many countries around the world. It was initially developed by Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., and subsequently licensed to Galderma in 2016 – worldwide except Japan and Taiwan. In Japan, nemolizumab is approved for the treatment of pruritus associated with atopic dermatitis and is in development for prurigo nodularis.
About the OLYMPIA 2 trial
OLYMPIA 2 was a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase III clinical trial designed to assess the efficacy and safety of nemolizumab monotherapy compared with placebo in patients aged at least 18 with prurigo nodularis after a 16-week treatment period. The trial also assessed the pharmacokinetics and immunogenicity of nemolizumab compared to placebo. OLYMPIA 2 included 274 patients with moderate to severe prurigo nodularis.
Galderma is the emerging pure-play dermatology category leader, present in approximately 90 countries. We deliver an innovative, science-based portfolio of premium flagship brands and services that span the full spectrum of the fast-growing dermatology market though Injectable Aesthetics, Dermatological Skincare and Therapeutic Dermatology. Since our foundation in 1981, we have dedicated our focus and passion to the human body’s largest organ – the skin – meeting individual consumer and patient needs with superior outcomes in partnership with healthcare professionals. Because we understand that the skin we are in shapes our lives, we are advancing dermatology for every skin story. For more information: www.galderma.com.
- Kwatra SG, et al. Placebo-controlled phase III trial of nemolizumab in patients with prurigo nodularis. N Engl J Med. 2023;389:1579-89. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa2301333
- Ständer S, et al. Trial of nemolizumab in moderate-to-severe prurigo nodularis. N Engl J Med. 2020; 382:706-716. DOI:10.1056/NEJMoa1908316
- Williams KA, et al. Pathophysiology, diagnosis, and pharmacological treatment of prurigo nodularis. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2021;14(1):67-77. DOI:10.1080/17512433.2021.1852080
- Nemmer JM, et al. Interleukin-31 signaling bridges the gap between immune cells, the nervous system and epithelial tissues. Front Med (Lausanne). 2021;8:639097. DOI:10.3389/fmed.2021.639097
- Wang F, Kim BS. Itch: a paradigm of neuroimmune crosstalk. Immunity. 2020;52(5):753-766. DOI:10.1016/j.immuni.2020.04.008
- Zhang Q, et al. Structures and biological functions of IL-31 and IL-31 receptors. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2008;19(5-6):347-356. DOI:10.1016/j.cytogfr.2008.08.003
- Tsoi LC, et al. Transcriptomic characterization of prurigo nodularis and the therapeutic response to nemolizumab. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2021;S0091-6749(21)01557-8. DOI:10.1016/j.jaci.2021.10.004
- Gwillim EC, Nattkemper L, Yosipovitch G. Impact of itch on sleep disturbance in patients with prurigo nodularis. Acta Derm Venereol. 2021;101(3):adv00424. DOI:10.2340/00015555-3778. PMID: 33704503
- Elmariah S, et al. Practical approaches for diagnosis and management of prurigo nodularis: United States expert panel consensus. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2021;84(3):747-760. DOI:10.1016/j.jaad.2020.07.025
- Whang KA, et al. Prevalence of prurigo nodularis in the United States. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2020;8(9):3240-3241. DOI:10.1016/j.jaip.2020.05.051
- Huang AH, et al. Real-world prevalence of prurigo nodularis and burden of associated diseases. J Invest Dermatol. 2020;140(2):480-483.e4. DOI:10.1016/j.jid.2019.07.697
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
Christian Marcoux, M.Sc.
Chief Communications Officer
+41 76 315 26 50
Corporate Communications Director
+41 79 529 59 85
Head of Strategy, Investor Relations, and ESG
+41 21 642 78 12
Investor Relations and Strategy Director
+41 21 642 76 43
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
BlueConic Named the Only Challenger in Inaugural 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Customer Data Platforms21.2.2024 18:33:00 CET | Press release
Market-leading customer data platform (CDP) BlueConic today announced that it has been recognized as the only Challenger in the inaugural Magic Quadrant for Customer Data Platforms. We believe this industry recognition marks a major milestone for CDPs and the maturity of the space on a global scale. BlueConic differentiates from other vendors for its: Privacy-by-design philosophy: Maintaining responsible data practices is essential for garnering consumer trust, but maintaining compliance with a patchwork of regulations is only getting more difficult. That’s why BlueConic has been built with privacy at the forefront. The platform has been purposely designed to collect first-party data in ways that ensures it is unified, actionable, and privacy-compliant. Collecting and using data within the framework of privacy regulations like GDPR and CCPA enables companies to build trust and deliver valuable customer experiences, while mitigating their consumer data risk at the same time. Easy-to-use
Bynder named a “Leader” in Digital Asset Management by independent research firm21.2.2024 17:58:00 CET | Press release
Bynder, the global, enterprise digital asset management (DAM) platform, has been named a “Leader” in The Forrester Wave™: Digital Asset Management Systems, Q1 2024 report by Forrester Research, Inc. Bynder received a top score in the revenue category, with the report stating that “Bynder invests to play a transformative role in the digital-first economy.” In the past two years since the last report was launched, Bynder has surpassed $130m in ARR, announced a majority investment from Thomas H. Lee Partners, made two acquisitions, developed its enterprise partner ecosystem, launched more than 45 out of the box integrations and expanded its suite of product offerings to include AI capabilities and other new innovations that are redefining DAM. According to a quote from a customer reference in the report “the AI search and smart filter system in Bynder simplifies the process of finding the exact assets you’re looking for.” These recent AI innovations have highlighted the company’s market l
Parse Biosciences Launches Evercode Whole Transcriptome Version 3, Boosting Usability and Performance21.2.2024 17:00:00 CET | Press release
Parse Biosciences, a leading provider of accessible and scalable single cell sequencing solutions, today announced a significant update to the company’s flagship Evercode™ Whole Transcriptome products. Available to ship in mid-March, Evercode Whole Transcriptome version 3 kits offer researchers a more streamlined workflow, more flexible and higher throughput fixation, and optimized reagents for improved sensitivity in gene detection. With the new version, customers will enjoy a more streamlined and flexible workflow, helping them move from samples to results more quickly. These enhancements are delivered while significantly improving upon the previous version’s sensitivity and library complexity, giving researchers higher biological resolution and insight into their samples. Parse customers already rely on the utility of Evercode fixation, which enables them to fix cells or nuclei when they become available, store them for up to six months, and then sequence them when ready. Fixation i
Tigo Energy Expands Comprehensive Residential Energy Solution for Italy with GO EV Charger21.2.2024 15:00:00 CET | Press release
Tigo Energy, Inc. (NASDAQ: TYGO), a leading provider of intelligent solar and energy software solutions, today announced the launch of the GO EV Charger for the Italian market. A smart residential electric vehicle (EV) charging station, GO EV Charger offers solar installers a way to add e-mobility that seamlessly integrates with the Tigo EI (Energy Intelligence) Residential Solar Solution, which includes inverter, battery system, TS4 MLPE devices, and everything else required for fast, flexible, and dependable solar installations. The Tigo EI Residential Solar Solution will be on display from February 28th to March 1st at KEY - The Energy Transition Expo in Rimini, Italy. Previously released for the German market, the GO EV Charger features seamless integration with the Tigo EI Residential solar-plus-storage solution. The GO EV Charger is available in single- or three-phase variants, up to 22 kW, and delivers high flexibility with multiple charging modes, current limits, and scheduling
Talkdesk Hires Software Veteran Albert Caravelli to Lead, Grow Strategic Alliances and Partners21.2.2024 15:00:00 CET | Press release
Talkdesk®, Inc., a global AI-powered contact center leader for enterprises of all sizes, today announced that Albert (Al) Caravelli, an accomplished executive experienced in transforming sales and alliances organizations at some of the world’s leading software companies, has joined the company as senior vice president of Alliances and Partners. In this role, Caravelli is responsible for expanding and nurturing Talkdesk’s growing ecosystem of strategic technology alliance partners, global system integrators, and global service providers. Caravelli comes to Talkdesk following nearly nine years at cloud security company Zscaler, where he most recently served as global vice president of strategic alliances and advisory firms, responsible for leading Zscaler’s go-to-market strategy and execution. During this time, he was instrumental in the formation of strategic alliances with multiple companies, including Accenture, Capgemini, Deloitte, HCL, Infosys, AT&T, BT, Cognizant, Deutsche Telekom,