Tap to Pay Scores Big for Visa and Fans at the FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019™
Visa (NYSE: V), the Official Payment Services Partner of FIFA, today released an analysis of spending during the group stage (June 7 to June 20) of the FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019™. The results found that in the nine official stadiums, fans across France tapped to pay using contactless payment technology for more than half (51%) of purchases– including on contactless cards, smartphones, payment-enabled wristbands and wearable technology.
Analysis of out-of-stadium spend from international Visa cardholders shows increased tourism in France, especially significant in smaller host cities. In the nine host cities alone, there has been a 140% increase of international Visa cardholders choosing to tap to pay when making purchases outside of the stadium.
“Football fans are embracing the speed, convenience and security of tapping to pay in order to get through lines and back to the action on the pitch,” said Lynne Biggar, chief marketing and communications officer, Visa. “As the exclusive payment provider of the FIFA Women’s World Cup™, we are proud to support the athletes who make this tournament incredible, while also heightening the fan experience with fast, innovative ways to pay.”
In-stadium data (June 7 –20)
- The match between United States and Chile (Parc de Princes, Paris) saw the highest amount spent in-stadium in a single match, accounting for approximately 14% of total spend to date. The next highest, the Opening Match between France and South Korea (Parc de Princes, Paris) accounted for 8% – where more than 45,000 fans filled the stadium in downtown Paris
- Fans from France have spent the most, accounting for 53% of purchases, followed by the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Netherlands, Germany, Japan, Canada, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and China
- On average, Japanese fans spent the most on individual purchases, followed by Chinese fans and Mexican fans
- Food and beverage purchases accumulated the highest amount of transactions (over 54%) followed by souvenir purchases (46%)
Out-of-Stadium Face to Face Transactions (June 7 – 20)
Analyzing data of international Visa cardholders spend outside of the stadium, showcased increased tourism in host cities where the matches are taking place.
- 4.45 million out-of-stadium transactions occurred since the beginning of the tournament
- Contactless payment transactions in host cities have grown by 140% compared to June of last year
- The city with the most out-of-stadium purchases was Paris followed by Nice and Lyon
Host cities are seeing increase in foreign spending since the start of the competition, contributing to year-over-year growth of all foreign transactions
- Smaller host cities have seen more significant spending growth year-over-year, including Reims (87%), Valenciennes (71%) and Le Havre (384%)
- Larger host cities also saw year-over-year increase in foreign transactions including Paris (16%), Nice (24%) and Lyon (24%)
- The top countries with highest foreign spending year-over-year throughout France since the start of the tournament include: United States (21%); United Kingdom (8%); Germany (86%); Switzerland (28%) and Spain (21%)
- Within host cities, the top three countries with highest foreign spending included: United States (18%), United Kingdom (19%) and China (4%)
Visa Onsite at the Tournament
As a global payments leader, Visa is committed to ensuring the best fan experience at the FIFA Women’s World Cup™ by providing the latest payment technology at all venues, enabling payments with a card, smartphone or wearable payment device.
- For the tournament, Visa is the exclusive payment service in all stadiums where payment cards are accepted. In-stadium, fans can tap to pay with Visa contactless credit and debit cards and mobile payment services at the more than 1,600 upgraded point-of-sale terminals at all nine official venues
- Point-of-sale terminals are enabled with Visa sensory branding that signifies a completed transaction through a custom Visa sound and animation - giving fans the assurance they want every time they use Visa
- Additionally, commemorative contactless Visa prepaid cards and payment-enabled wristbands are available at Visa customer service booths in all official venues for non-Visa cardholders
- Visa has selected Natixis Payments as point-of-sales and prepaid solutions provider and acquirer in stadium
About Visa Inc.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of digital commerce on any device, for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce. For more information, visit About Visa, visa.com/blog and @VisaNews.
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Social Football Summit 2019 to Take Place in Rome in Partnership With Lega Serie A19.11.2019 12:02:00 CET | Press release
Debates, meetings and networking dedicated to digital marketing and innovation in the world of football, are part of the programme of the second edition of the Social Football Summit scheduled for Wednesday 20 and Thursday 21/11/2019 at the Stadio Olympico in Rome (ITA). The event, organised by the start up "Social Media Soccer" and the digital company "Go Project", in partnership with the Lega Serie A, will feature 75 speakers during some thirty conferences, debates and other formats divided into two main themes: • The first is dedicated to the most significant and original initiatives in digital marketing and fan engagement. • The second is dedicated to digital transformation processes, sports technology, eSports, blockchain and other innovative projects. "The Lega Serie A is very aware of the need to exploit all the new digital marketing tools in order to be a leader in Italy and around the world. The market on which we want to focus strongly is the eSports market, which is now full
XPRIZE Announces New $10 Million Competition to Preserve Rainforests Across the Globe19.11.2019 12:00:00 CET | Press release
Today, XPRIZE, the global leader in designing and operating incentive competitions to solve humanity’s grand challenges, officially launched the $10M Rainforest XPRIZE. Registration is now open for teams interested in participating in the four-year global competition that calls on innovators to create technology capable of identifying and cataloging rainforest biodiversity and develop insights that may lead to a new bioeconomy through standing forests. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191119005397/en/ (Graphic: Business Wire) Rainforests remain undervalued, which has led to their rapid depletion over the past two decades. Having once covered 14% of the earth’s land surface, rainforests now cover a mere 6% of the planet, according to National Geographic. Specifically, the recent acceleration of the Amazon’s deforestation, due in part to illegal logging and mining as well as inefficient agricultural expansion, ha
Desktop Metal Launches World’s First Metal Binder Jetting System Designed for Machine Shops19.11.2019 10:45:00 CET | Press release
Desktop Metal, the company committed to making 3D printing accessible to manufacturers and engineers, today announced the launch of Shop System™, the world’s first metal binder jetting system designed for machine shops and metal job shops. For the first time, shop owners can leverage affordable, high-quality binder jetting technology to print end-use metal parts with unparalleled speed, print quality, and productivity. The system was unveiled during Formnext 2019, a leading additive manufacturing conference, in Frankfurt, Germany. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191119005056/en/ The Shop System™, the world’s first metal binder jetting system designed for machine shops and metal job shops, starting at $150,000. (Photo: Business Wire) Offering the most cost-effective solution in the industry starting at $150,000, this high-speed, single-pass print engine introduces high-quality binder jetting to an entirely new
Experience the World of Interconnected Security on IDEMIA’s Booth at Milipol Paris (november 19-22, 2019)19.11.2019 09:44:00 CET | Press release
Today, more than ever before, new digital and biometric technologies represent the future of public security to provide trusted and reliable security solutions based on identity, and to maintain at the same time efficiency and convenience that ease citizens’ lives. At Milipol Paris, IDEMIA will showcase its cutting-edge technologies in three fields so that visitors can experience the whole future of security. Securing major events Thanks to its 40 years of strong relationships with the world’s leading law enforcement agencies and governments, IDEMIA has developed an in-depth understanding of the processes and procedures involved to ensure security at major events. The company not only provides the most innovative, biometric technologies – it also ensures interoperability of systems for a smooth and efficient running of events. IDEMIA’s innovative and intelligent systems use highly accurate algorithms integrated in its video and intelligence analytics to help secure major event, critica
Valamis’ Global Survey Reveals the State of L&D in 201919.11.2019 09:00:00 CET | Press release
Valamis, the global leader in digital learning technologies and workforce development, published results from the “Learning and Development in Organizations in 2019 Report”, which combines key results from national surveys executed in the US, Germany, and Finland between April and July of 2019. The importance of learning and development for the organization’s success is recognized throughout each country surveyed; 96 percent of all respondents stated that it is very important or of medium importance to continually update the knowledge and skills of employees. The country comparison reveals that learning and development have reached greater maturity in the US when compared with Germany and Finland. Digital learning environments are more widely in use in organizations, and they are being updated to newer platforms more often. The top two challenges for learning and development were the same in all countries: No time and no money, and the third challenge was not the right tools in use (th
conova deploys ADVA OLS solution for highly secure DCI connectivity19.11.2019 08:00:00 CET | Press release
ADVA (FSE: ADV) today announced that conova communications is using its technology for secure, high-capacity transport between data centers. conova, one of Austria’s leading IT service providers, has deployed the ADVA FSP 3000 open line system (OLS) with ConnectGuard™ Optical encryption in response to booming demand from business customers for reliable and protected cloud services. The fully redundant infrastructure supports 100Gbit/s Carrier Ethernet as well as 32Gbit/s Gen 6 Fibre Channel, a key requirement for the most advanced enterprise storage services. Featuring ADVA ALM fiber assurance technology, the new DCI network also enables rapid repair times and improves performance. The solution was designed and implemented by ADVA’s Elite partner dacoso, a German IT service provider focusing on connectivity, cyber defense and virtual networking. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191119005076/en/ ADVA's technolog