Takeda to Highlight New Research into the Long-term Complications of Chronic Hypoparathyroidism at the European Congress of Endocrinology 2019 Annual Meeting
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (TSE:4502/NYSE:TAK) (“Takeda”) today announced that it will feature 7 presentations, including one oral presentation, at the upcoming European Congress of Endocrinology (ECE) Annual Meeting from May 18-21, 2019 in Lyon, France. The data presentations include findings from new research into the long-term risks of cardiovascular, renal and infection complications that patients with chronic hypoparathyroidism may experience as well as the latest findings from on-going real world and clinical studies, including the Global Burden of Illness Survey and the 6-year RACE study.
Takeda will also sponsor two satellite symposia. The first will focus on the burden of illness in chronic hypoparathyroidism patients with impaired biochemical control and comorbidities associated with the disease (Forum 1 on May 19, 13.45–14.45). The second symposium will present new perspectives in managing not adequately controlled hypoparathyroidism patients (Forum 3 on May 20, 13.45–14.35). Takeda will also have an exhibition booth throughout the congress (Booth #B02).
“The new research we are presenting at ECE 2019 continues to further our understanding of chronic hypoparathyroidism, especially about how long-term complications and symptoms may impact patients living with this rare disease,” explained John Germak M.D., Global Medical Team Lead at Takeda. “The clinical and real-world studies reflect our commitment to advancing our knowledge of chronic hypoparathyroidism and to improving patient care,” he added.
Hypoparathyroidism is a rare endocrine disease that occurs when inadequate levels of parathyroid hormone (PTH) are secreted by the parathyroid glands, resulting in a mineral imbalance in the body expressed by a low concentration of calcium (hypocalcemia) and a high concentration of phosphate (hyperphosphatemia) in the blood.1 Studies have shown that a range of approximately 24–37 in 100,000 patients are affected by hypoparathyroidism.2 In patients who are not adequately controlled, this disease can have a significant impact on patient well-being through a range of physical, cognitive and emotional symptoms, and comorbidities.3,4
Takeda’s presence at this year’s ECE meeting includes the following presentations, which are intended for scientific discussion only:
- Risk of sepsis, respiratory infections, and kidney or other genitourinary (GU) infections in patients with chronic hypoparathyroidism (HypoPT)4 OC1.4, May 19, 2019, Salle Gratte-Ciel 1+2+3, 12.00 – 13.00
- Risk of myocardial infarction, stroke and other cardiovascular conditions in patients with chronic hypoparathyroidism: A retrospective cohort5 GP148, May 20, 2019, Exhibition area, 13.00 – 14.00
- Risk of chronic kidney disease (CKD) and CKD progression in patients with chronic hypoparathyroidism (HypoPT)6 GP149, May 20, 2019, Exhibition area, 13.00 – 14.00
- Risk of nephrolithiasis and nephrocalcinosis in patients with chronic hypoparathyroidism (HypoPT)7 GP147, May 20, 2019, Exhibition area, 13.00 – 14.00
- Impact of chronic hypoparathyroidism on Health-Related Quality of Life: Findings from a 13-country patient survey8 GP25, May 19, 2019, Exhibition area, 13.00 – 14.00
- Risk of Type 2 diabetes (T2D) in patients with chronic hypoparathyroidism. (HypoPT)9 P1038, May 21, 2019, Exhibition area, 12.30 – 14.30
- Recombinant human parathyroid hormone 1-84 for the treatment of adults with chronic hypoparathyroidism: Six-year safety and efficacy results of the RACE study10 GP15, May 19, 2019, Exhibition area, 13.00 – 14.00
All abstracts will be available on the ECE website following the meeting.
Chronic hypoparathyroidism is diagnosed in patients with a low concentration of calcium in the blood and inappropriately low PTH levels; for postsurgical hypoparathyroidism, the features of hypoparathyroidism must persist for at least 6 months after surgery to be considered chronic.11,12
About NATPAR ®▼ (parathyroid hormone) for Injection in Europe
In Europe, the recombinant human parathyroid hormone 1-84 for treatment of adults with chronic HypoPT is approved under the tradename NATPAR®. NATPAR is indicated as adjunctive treatment of adult patients with chronic hypoparathyroidism who cannot be adequately controlled with standard therapy alone.13 Takeda is authorised to market NATPAR in the 28 Member States of the European Union, as well as in Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. NATPAR is currently commercially available in Germany, Greece, Austria, Denmark and Norway.
Click here for the full European Product Information: https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/product-information/natpar-epar-product-information_en.pdf
For US Full Prescribing Information, including approved indication and important safety information, please visit: http://www.shirecontent.com/PI/PDFs/Natpara_USA_ENG.pdf
About Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited ( TSE:4502/NYSE:TAK ) is a global, values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical leader headquartered in Japan, committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter Future to patients by translating science into highly-innovative medicines. Takeda focuses its R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas: Oncology, Gastroenterology (GI), Neuroscience, and Rare Diseases. We also make targeted R&D investments in Plasma-Derived Therapies and Vaccines. We are focusing on developing highly innovative medicines that contribute to making a difference in people's lives by advancing the frontier of new treatment options and leveraging our enhanced collaborative R&D engine and capabilities to create a robust, modality-diverse pipeline. Our employees are committed to improving quality of life for patients and to working with our partners in health care in approximately 80 countries and regions.
For more information, visit https://www.takeda.com
1) Shoback D, Bilezikian JP, Costa AG, et al. Presentation of Hypoparathyroidism: Etiologies and Clinical Features. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016;101(6):2300–12.
2) Abate EG and Clarke BL. Review of Hypoparathyroidism. Front. Endocrinol. 2016;7:172.
3) Hadker N, Egan J, Sanders J, et al. Understanding the burden of illness associated with hypoparathyroidism reported among patients in the PARADOX study. Endocr Pract. 2014;20(7):671–9.
4) Chen K, Kaul S, Curhan G, et al. Risk of sepsis, respiratory infections, and kidney or other genitourinary (GU) infections in patients with chronic hypoparathyroidism (HypoPT) Oral presentation [OC1.4].
5) Chen K, Kaul S, Curhan G, et al. Risk of Myocardial Infarction (MI), Stroke, and Other Cardiovascular (CV) Conditions in Patients with Chronic Hypoparathyroidism (HypoPT): A Retrospective Cohort Study.
6) Chen K, Gosmanova EO, Curhan G, et al. Risk of chronic kidney disease (CKD) and CKD progression in patients with chronic hypoparathyroidism (HypoPT).
7) Chen K, Curhan G, Gosmanova EO, et al. Risk of Nephrolithiasis and Nephrocalcinosis in Patients with Chronic Hypoparathyroidism (HypoPT): A Retrospective Cohort Study
8) Bollerslev J, Ennakhil NB, Chen K, et al. Impact of chronic hypoparathyroidism on Health-Related Quality of Life: Findings from a 13-country patient survey.
9) Chen K, Gosmanova EO, Curhan G, et al. Risk of Type 2 diabetes (T2D) in patients with chronic hypoparathyroidism. (HypoPT).
10) Bilezikian JP, Bone H, Clarke BL, et al. Recombinant human parathyroid hormone 1-84 for the treatment of adults with chronic hypoparathyroidism: Six-year safety and efficacy results of the RACE study.
11) Brandi ML, Bilezikian JP, Shoback D, et al. Management of Hypoparathyroidism: Summary Statement and Guidelines. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016;101(6):2273–83.
12) Bollerslev J, Rejnmark L, Marcocci C, et al. European Society of Endocrinology Clinical Guideline: Treatment of chronic hypoparathyroidism in adults. Eur J Endocrinol. 2015;173:G1–G20.
13) Natpar® Summary of Product Characteristics.
Copyright © 2019 Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited. All rights reserved. Takeda and the Takeda Logo are trademarks of Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited, used under license.
+81 (0) 3-3278-2095
Media outside Japan
+41 79 630 8619
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
EURid Launches New Eligibility Criteria19.10.2019 04:30:00 CEST | Press release
The top-level internet domain .eu is the eighth largest country code extension on the internet and, as of October 2019, we have more than 3.6 million registrations spread out across Europe. Since its launch in 2006, only companies and individuals residing within the EU and EEA member states have been eligible to register the .eu domain name. However, striving to meet the needs of an ever-changing digital environment, the eligibility criteria for the registration of .eu domain name has now been extended to all EU citizens living around the world. With millions of Europeans living around the world – our hope is to provide these individuals, living far from their native lands, with a personal online platform through which they can share their stories with families and friends back home. “We are excited to be able to extend the registration criteria to EU citizens around the world. The .eu domain is now closer to your ambitions, achievements and dreams. It is the bridge connecting you to y
ams to Launch New Takeover Offer for OSRAM at EUR 41.00 Per Share With Minimum Acceptance Threshold of 55%18.10.2019 17:16:00 CEST | Press release
NOT FOR RELEASE, PUBLICATION OR DISTRIBUTION (IN WHOLE OR IN PART) IN, INTO OR FROM ANY JURISDICTION WHERE TO DO SO WOULD CONSTITUTE A VIOLATION OF THE RELEVANT LAWS OF SUCH JURISDICTION ams (SIX: AMS), a leading worldwide supplier of high performance sensor solutions, announces that it intends to launch a new all-cash takeover offer for OSRAM Licht AG ("OSRAM") for 100% of the share capital of OSRAM at a price of EUR 41.00 per share ("Offer"). The Offer which represents a premium of 42% to the undisturbed OSRAM share price of EUR 28.92 as of 2 July 2019 will be launched by ams Offer GmbH, a newly incorporated, wholly owned subsidiary of ams. ams is the largest shareholder in OSRAM with a direct shareholding of 19.99% which ams will not exceed outside of the Offer. As a result of ams' shareholder position, ams has lowered the minimum acceptance threshold to 55%. Winning way forward for ams and OSRAM The combination of ams and OSRAM allows ams to create a global leader in sensor solutio
Resecurity Appoints Selene Giupponi Managing Director of Resecurity Europe18.10.2019 15:38:00 CEST | Press release
Resecurity, a cybersecurity company that delivers in-depth analysis layered on top of the most comprehensive, exclusive sets of data from the Deep and Dark Web, announces that Selene Giupponi has joined as Managing Director and will be based in Italy. A digital forensics expert, Selene adds significant value to Resecurity’s operations in Europe. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191018005415/en/ Resecurity Appoints Selene Giupponi Managing Director of Resecurity Europe (Photo: Business Wire) Selene has extensive expertise in digital forensics and is often called as an expert witness regarding digital and mobile forensics on domestic and international cases, investigations and court trials. She is a specialized IT trainer in Italy and teaches digital, mobile, cloud and mainframe forensics, cybercrime and information security at various Italian universities. “Selene brings a depth of experience to our team and we
Secure-24 Completes Acquisition of Symmetry Corporation18.10.2019 14:20:00 CEST | Press release
NTT Ltd., the newly formed, world-leading global technology services provider, and Symmetry Holding Inc. (Symmetry), a U.S.-based leading provider of SAP managed services, today announced that Secure-24 Intermediate Holdings, Inc. (Secure-24), part of the Managed Services division of NTT Ltd., has completed the acquisition of Symmetry Corporation effective October 17, 2019. “The powerful business combination of Secure-24 and Symmetry leverages the strengths of both companies around Secure-24’s foundation of delivering managed IT operations, application hosting and cloud services to enterprises worldwide,” said Mike BeDell, Chief Executive Officer, Secure-24. “As we begin to integrate Symmetry’s portfolio into Secure-24’s portfolio, through a shared vision, we look forward to providing even greater value that accelerates our clients’ business success.” Symmetry, headquartered in Brookfield, Wisconsin, will expand the scale of SAP managed services capabilities of Secure-24 and bring new
New Research Reveals Updated Patient Preferences on Digital Health Technology18.10.2019 13:00:00 CEST | Press release
ResMed (NYSE: RMD, ASX: RMD) today announced results from a company-led survey, revealing new patient preferences on digital health technology. The survey highlights a reason for optimism that the markets for digital health technology will only continue to grow. The survey of a nationally representative sample of 3,000 Americans, conducted in partnership with Edelman Intelligence, revealed that the use of – and confidence in – remote digital health technology is widespread: 56% of those surveyed currently monitor their health with at least one digital data collection tool. Also, 60% of people attempt to diagnose themselves after browsing symptoms on the Internet – including 76% of Millennials. Perhaps more surprising, remote digital health technology seems to have deepened people’s connection with their physicians rather than distanced them from one another. Over half of those surveyed agree that technology has improved their relationship with their primary care provider, and many woul
CHMP Grants Positive Opinion for Expanded Use of Janssen’s Darzalex®▼(daratumumab) for Patients with Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma Who Are Transplant Ineligible18.10.2019 12:43:00 CEST | Press release
The Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson today announced that the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) of the European Medicines Agency (EMA) has recommended broadening the existing marketing authorisation for Darzalex® (daratumumab) to include the use of daratumumab in combination with lenalidomide and dexamethasone (DRd) for patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma (NDMM) who are ineligible for autologous stem cell transplant (ASCT). “As multiple myeloma can become more complex with each relapse, it is important that patients receive the latest treatment options with the goal of extending their first remission period,” said Professor Thierry Facon, M.D., Service des Maladies du Sang, Hôpital Claude Huriez, Lille, France, and principal investigator of the MAIA study. “For newly diagnosed patients who are transplant ineligible, this regimen could be an important frontline therapy option and reinforces the consistent clinical profile of daratumuma