Quanterix Announces Agreement to Acquire UmanDiagnostics, World’s Leading Neurofilament Light (Nf-L) Antibody Supplier
Quanterix Corporation (NASDAQ: QTRX), a company digitizing biomarker analysis with the goal of advancing the science of precision health, today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire privately held UmanDiagnostics AB for $22.5 million, comprised of $16 million in cash plus $6.5 million in Quanterix common stock. Uman is widely recognized to possess the leading antibodies available today to measure neurofilament light (Nf-L) and has become the provider of choice for biopharmaceutical and diagnostic applications.
Uman, based in Umeå, Sweden, supplies Nf-L antibodies and ELISA kits, which are widely recognized by researchers and biopharmaceutical and diagnostics companies world-wide as the premier solution for the detection of Nf-L to advance the development of therapeutics and diagnostics for neurodegenerative conditions. Nf-L has seen a dramatic growth in the last three years since Quanterix developed the first assay using Uman’s antibodies that could reliably measure Nf-L in blood. This innovation allowed research, previously limited primarily to cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), to expand significantly and has led many of the world’s foremost neurology researchers and clinicians to conclude that Nf-L may be the most clinically relevant brain biomarker available today. Nf-L has demonstrated utility in the diagnosis, prognosis, and monitoring of a wide range of conditions including Alzheimer’s Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease, traumatic brain injury (TBI), ALS, Huntington’s Disease, and others.
“We believe that the ability to measure Nf-L in blood is one of the most significant advances in diagnosis and monitoring of a wide range of neurodegenerative conditions and has the potential to dramatically improve the lives of people suffering from some of the most debilitating diseases impacting society,” said Kevin Hrusovsky, Chief Executive Officer, President and Chairman of Quanterix. “Uman has developed a highly specific antibody pair that has exquisite affinity for the precise epitopes of the clinically relevant Nf-L in blood and CSF. When their innovation is combined with the exquisite sensitivity of our Simoa technology it yields a disruption, enabling Nf-L to be measured with high precision in less invasive samples than CSF, such as blood. The acquisition of Uman will allow Quanterix to better support growing research with Nf-L and ultimately has the potential to accelerate the availability of diagnostic tests, while delivering significant strategic and financial value to Quanterix.”
Niklas Norgren, President and CEO of Uman, said, “Quanterix has been one of our strongest partners for several years now and its Simoa technology holds the greatest promise for truly unlocking the value of Nf-L. We are proud that our focus on Nf-L has made possible such promising discoveries in neurodegeneration and greatly look forward to further advancing the field as part of Quanterix. We are compelled by Quanterix’ vision, mission, and strategy for disrupting the field of neurodegeneration research and diagnostics and are confident in the management team’s ability to continue its superb execution against this substantial opportunity.”
Strategic and Financial Benefits of the Transaction
- Financial Benefits: Savings realized from the cost of Nf-L antibodies will deliver an estimated 200 bps, before impact of purchase price accounting, in gross margin to Quanterix (annualized) and are expected to accelerate the company’s cash flow crossover timing by one to two quarters. Uman’s revenues from sales of Nf-L antibodies to other customers and from ELISA kits are not expected to be material to Quanterix, though future applications of Nf-L have the potential to provide significant revenue growth opportunities.
- Securing Antibody Supply: The transaction secures a long-term source of supply for a critical technology. More than 25% of Quanterix’ total revenues rely on Nf-L as a component. Over the last decade, numerous companies have tried to develop competing Nf-L antibodies to those which Uman offers with very limited success. The acquisition will ensure Quanterix can continue to supply researchers globally with the “best-in-class” Simoa Nf-L assays, while continuing to innovate new digital biomarkers to advance the field of research in diagnostics for neurology disorders.
- Strategic Value in Future Clinical Opportunities: Serum Nf-L (sNf-L) is currently in 46 active key clinical trials, 16 of which are major industry sponsored trials, and has significant potential as a clinical test for diagnosis, prognosis, and monitoring of major neurodegenerative conditions. In aggregate, these diagnostic opportunities represent an estimated total available market of >$10B. With the acquisition, Quanterix will be poised to capitalize on these opportunities, either in partnership with leading diagnostic and biopharmaceutical companies or on its own.
- Reinforcing Quanterix Nf-L Strength: Nf-L has rapidly become a major catalyst for Quanterix’ growth and continues to offer significant future growth potential. Publications citing the Simoa Nf-L assay have skyrocketed since the assay was launched in 2016 and totaled 58 as of the end of 2018. Quanterix also supported a 17-site multi-center study last year and demonstrated a very high level of specificity, sensitivity, and reproducibility with its Simoa HD-1 Analyzer running the Nf-L assay on the same samples in each site achieving CVs <10%. Quanterix has been invited twice in the last year by the FDA to present the latest on Nf-L research, demonstrating the appeal and promise of Nf-L as a better biomarker for clinical trials, as well as companion and complementary diagnostics. Large scale studies are already planned for 2019 to determine baseline values for patients across a broad range of ages, which will help further elucidate how Nf-L measurements can potentially one day become the “cholesterol test of the brain,” allowing individuals to know their Nf-L baseline and track their brain health minimally invasively and cost effectively. The annual Powering Precision Health Summit in Amsterdam recently focused largely on the promise of blood-based Nf-L tests for several major categories of neurodegenerative conditions, drawing some of the leading neurology clinicians and researchers from Europe and beyond. With the acquisition of Uman, Quanterix will be poised to capitalize on the growth fueled by the momentum in Nf-L as a tremendously promising brain biomarker.
- Antibody Development Capability: Uman has demonstrated the ability to innovate antibody development for one of the industry’s most challenging proteins, and brings antibody development, scale-up, and commercialization expertise, which can be further leveraged to build out additional antibody development capabilities at Quanterix.
Company management will be hosting a conference call to discuss the acquisition on Wednesday, June 26, at 5:00 p.m., EDT. To access this call, dial (833) 686-9351 for domestic callers, or (612) 979-9890 for international callers. Please reference the following conference ID: 6483495.
A live webcast will be accessible on the Investors section of Quanterix’ website: http://www.quanterix.com. The webcast will be available on the Company’s website for one year following completion of the call.
Quanterix is a company that’s digitizing biomarker analysis with the goal of advancing the science of precision health. The company’s digital health solution, Simoa, has the potential to change the way in which healthcare is provided today by giving researchers the ability to closely examine the continuum from health to disease. Quanterix’ technology is designed to enable much earlier disease detection, better prognoses and enhanced treatment methods to improve the quality of life and longevity of the population for generations to come. The technology is currently being used for research applications in several therapeutic areas, including oncology, neurology, cardiology, inflammation and infectious disease. The company was established in 2007 and is located in Billerica, Massachusetts. For additional Information, please visit: https://www.quanterix.com.
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Words such as "may," "will," "expect," "plan," "anticipate," "estimate," "intend" and similar expressions (as well as other words or expressions referencing future events, conditions or circumstances) are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements in this news release are based on Quanterix’ expectations and assumptions as of the date of this press release. Each of these forward-looking statements involves risks and uncertainties. Factors that may cause Quanterix’ actual results to differ from those expressed or implied in the forward-looking statements in this press release are discussed in Quanterix’ filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, including the "Risk Factors" sections contained therein. Except as required by law, Quanterix assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements contained herein to reflect any change in expectations, even as new information becomes available.
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Rakuten TV Launches its AVOD Service in Europe15.10.2019 08:30:00 CEST | Press release
Rakuten TV, one of the leading video-on-demand platforms in Europe, today announced the launch of its first AVOD - ad-supported video-on-demand - channels within the platform. This new business model will allow viewers to watch a wide range of content for free. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191015005048/en/ Rakuten TV's new UI 4.0 including "Free" section (Photo: Rakuten TV) The free section of Rakuten TV will launch with an initial offer including Hollywood and local content to be expanded to additionally include exclusive Rakuten content, TV series, documentary series, news and sport channels in the coming months - with a combined linear and on-demand offer. Among the exclusive content, Rakuten TV will present on its AVOD channel Matchday - Inside FC Barcelona, the new documentary series about FC Barcelona from the inside, offering previously unseen and exclusive scenes from the players’ private lives. Nar
Groundbreaking CloudCO Demo at Broadband World Forum 2019 Made Possible by UNH-IOL’s Role as Open Broadband Lab15.10.2019 08:00:00 CEST | Press release
The University of New Hampshire InterOperability Laboratory (UNH-IOL), an independent provider of broad-based testing and standards conformance services for the networking industry, today announced they have helped create the first publicly demonstrated lab instance of hosting the CloudCO architecture as a Broadband Forum Open Broadband Lab (OB-Lab). Working directly with industry partners BT, Swisscom, TIM, Altice Labs, DZS, Nokia, VMware, and EANTC, they will demonstrate the integration of the test platform which will be showcased at Broadband World Forum 2019 (BBWF) in Amsterdam, Netherlands this week. The intention of the OB-Labs initiative is to demonstrate an open framework for cloud-based broadband for carriers globally, and bring the promise of SDN and NFV to fruition. The demo at BBWF 2019 was built from a combination of open source from the OPNFV, ONAP, and Open Broadband Access Abstraction (OB-BAA) projects and products from Nokia, Altice Labs, DZS, and VMware. A first of it
Forter Fraud Attack Index Reveals 89% Increase In Loyalty Program Fraud15.10.2019 07:30:00 CEST | Press release
Forter, the leader in e-commerce fraud prevention, today announced the release of the seventh edition of its Fraud Attack Index. The report tracks shifting behaviors in online businesses across a variety of industries. The latest edition of the Fraud Attack Index indicates that fraud is evolving rapidly beyond the point of the transaction to accounts such as loyalty programs and abuse of return policies. Loyalty fraud increased by 89% year over year, while the total dollar amount in online fraud increased by 12% year over year. “A clear trend in online fraud is emerging,” said Michael Reitblat, CEO and Co-Founder of Forter. “The industry as a whole has done a tremendous job detecting and preventing payment fraud at the point of transaction. This eliminates the amateurs. We’re seeing fraudsters now shift their efforts earlier in the customer journey, gaining access to consumers’ accounts.” The Fraud Attack Index shows that fraudsters are having significantly more success in account take
Last Chance to Register for CES Unveiled in Amsterdam15.10.2019 07:00:00 CEST | Press release
Consumer Technology Association (CTA): WHAT: The Consumer Technology Association (CTA) ® today announced the last chance to register for the third annual CES Unveiled in Amsterdam. CES Unveiled is an official CES® 2020 preview event, bringing together executives, influential media and prominent industry influencers to experience the latest tech innovations from across Europe. Europe welcomed more than 16,000 attendees to CES 2019 and continues to lead innovation by example. CES Unveiled promotes the continued value it shares with Europe through partnerships across government, business and research. CES Unveiled in Amsterdam will focus on the theme “Tech Improving Lives,” featuring an expected 100 exhibitors (including 50+ startups) from the Netherlands and across Europe. Some top exhibitors include: Aitheon – Integrates AI and Robotics in a user-friendly way to ensure businesses become automated in a single, simple platform Crescent Tech – Provides the world’s first purpose designed we
Takeda Agrees to Divest Select OTC and Non-core Assets to Acino for Over $200 Million USD15.10.2019 06:45:00 CEST | Press release
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (TSE:4502/NYSE:TAK) (“Takeda”) today announced that it has entered into an agreement to divest a portfolio of select over-the-counter (OTC) and prescription pharmaceutical assets in a number of Near East, Middle East and Africa (NEMEA) countries within its Growth and Emerging Markets Business Unit to Acino for a total value in excess of $200 million USD. This is the third transaction in FY19 that furthers Takeda’s strategy to focus on business areas core to its long-term growth and facilitate rapid deleveraging following its acquisition of Shire. “The divestment of non-core assets sold in NEMEA represents the continued execution of our strategy to optimize our portfolio, invest in the defined core business areas, and accelerate our progress toward reaching our target leverage ratio,” said Costa Saroukos, Chief Financial Officer, Takeda. While these products continue to play important roles in meeting patient needs, they are primarily outside of Tak
Thales Named a Market Leader in KuppingerCole Analysts Leadership Compass for Identity-as-a-Service Access Management15.10.2019 06:00:00 CEST | Press release
Thales today announced that it has been positioned as a Market Leader in the 2019 KuppingerCole Leadership Compass for Identity-as-a-Service (IDaaS) Access Management. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191014005576/en/ (Photo: Thales) The report recognized Thales, through its SafeNet Trusted Access offer, as a market leader in terms of the number of customers, partner ecosystem, and global reach in the IDaaS Access Management market. KuppingerCole’s Leadership Compass takes a thorough look at the overall IDaaS Access Management industry, provides in-depth analysis of the main players in the market, and rates vendors on innovation, product features, and market reach. “With a strong global presence, SafeNet Trusted Access presents a flexible solution based on standards and, in addition, agents as a service to cater to the access management requirements of organizations with broad contextual authentication needs,”