Novartis reports positive topline results from the first Phase III trial of Beovu® versus aflibercept in patients with diabetic macular edema (DME)
- In Phase III KITE study, Beovu (brolucizumab) 6 mg achieved its primary endpoint of non-inferiority to aflibercept 2 mg in mean change in best-corrected visual acuity (BCVA) at year one (week 52)1
- In a key secondary endpoint, more than half of Beovu patients were maintained on a three-month dosing interval through year one, following the loading phase1
- Beovu showed superior improvement versus aflibercept in change of central subfield thickness, a secondary endpoint, over the period of week 40 through week 521
- Beovu demonstrated an overall well-tolerated safety profile comparable to aflibercept; in addition the rate of intraocular inflammation was equivalent between Beovu and aflibercept1
- Novartis actively progressing full clinical development program of Beovu, with studies across wet AMD, DME, retinal vein occlusion and proliferative diabetic retinopathy
Basel, September 14, 2020 — Novartis today reported the first interpretable results of the Phase III KITE study, assessing the efficacy and safety of Beovu® (brolucizumab) 6 mg in diabetic macular edema (DME). The trial met its primary and key secondary endpoints, demonstrating non-inferiority for Beovu versus aflibercept 2 mg in mean change in best-corrected visual acuity (BCVA) at year one (week 52)1.
In a secondary endpoint, Beovu demonstrated superior improvement versus aflibercept in change of central subfield thickness (CST, a key indicator of fluid in the retina) over the period of week 40 through week 521. More than half of patients in the Beovu arm were maintained on a three-month dosing interval through year one, following the loading phase. All aflibercept patients were on a two-month dosing interval after the loading phase1. In KITE, Beovu demonstrated an overall well-tolerated safety profile comparable to aflibercept1. In addition, the rate of intraocular inflammation was equivalent between Beovu and aflibercept1.
“Living with DME has significant impact on patients’ lives and frequent treatment injections are needed to control the increased fluid in the eye,” said Dirk Sauer, Global Head Development, Novartis Pharma Ophthalmology. “This data confirms our strong belief in Beovu as a potential therapy for DME patients, and if approved, will provide patients with a new treatment option to control their disease through better resolution of retinal fluid and CST reductions.”
The KITE pivotal trial is an ongoing two-year study that enrolled 360 patients with DME across 80 centers in 23 countries1. The data from KITE will be submitted for presentation at medical congresses and for peer-review publication. Novartis is currently conducting a second study in DME, KESTREL2, and anticipates results later in the year, when Novartis will assess next steps with health authorities.
Novartis is actively progressing studies across wet age-related macular degeneration (AMD), DME, retinal vein occlusion and proliferative diabetic retinopathy. The favorable benefit-risk of the Beovu development program was supported by a company-requested review of ongoing studies by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Novartis has a comprehensive program of work underway to help support retina specialists with the latest data and understanding they need to make appropriate treatment decisions for their wet AMD patients. Beovu is currently approved in over 40 countries for the treatment of wet AMD.
About Diabetic Macular Edema
DME is the leading cause of blindness in people with diabetes and affects 21 million people across the world, including 12% of people with type 1 diabetes and 28% of those with type 2 diabetes3,4.
Consistently high blood sugar levels associated with diabetes can damage small blood vessels in the eye, causing them to leak fluid5. The resulting accumulation of fluid (known as edema) in the macula can lead to vision loss6. The macula is the area of the retina responsible for sharp, central vision6.
Early symptoms of DME include blurry or wavy central vision and distorted color perception, although the disease can also progress without symptoms at early stages5,6.
About Beovu (brolucizumab)
Beovu (brolucizumab, also known as RTH258) is approved in more than 40 countries, including in the US7, EU8, UK8, Japan9, Canada10 and Australia11, for the treatment of wet AMD. Additional trials are currently ongoing which study the effects of brolucizumab in patients with AMD, diabetic macular edema, retinal vein occlusion and proliferative diabetic retinopathy. Brolucizumab is the most clinically advanced humanized single-chain antibody fragment (scFv)12-14. Single-chain antibody fragments are highly sought after in drug development due to their small size, enhanced tissue penetration, rapid clearance from systemic circulation and drug delivery characteristics14-16.
The proprietary innovative structure results in a small molecule (26 kDa) with potent inhibition of, and high affinity to, all VEGF-A isoforms15. Beovu is engineered to deliver the highest concentration of drug, providing more active binding agents12-14. In preclinical studies, Beovu inhibited activation of VEGF receptors through prevention of the ligand-receptor interaction15-17. Increased signaling through the VEGF pathway is associated with pathologic ocular angiogenesis and retinal edema18. Inhibition of the VEGF pathway has been shown to inhibit the growth of neovascular lesions and suppress endothelial cell proliferation and vascular permeability18.
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements can generally be identified by words such as “potential,” “can,” “will,” “plan,” “may,” “could,” “would,” “expect,” “anticipate,” “seek,” “look forward,” “believe,” “committed,” “investigational,” “pipeline,” “launch,” or similar terms, or by express or implied discussions regarding potential marketing approvals, new indications or labeling for the investigational or approved products described in this press release, or regarding potential future revenues from such products. You should not place undue reliance on these statements. Such forward-looking statements are based on our current beliefs and expectations regarding future events, and are subject to significant known and unknown risks and uncertainties. Should one or more of these risks or uncertainties materialize, or should underlying assumptions prove incorrect, actual results may vary materially from those set forth in the forward-looking statements. There can be no guarantee that the investigational or approved products described in this press release will be submitted or approved for sale or for any additional indications or labeling in any market, or at any particular time. Nor can there be any guarantee that such products will be commercially successful in the future. In particular, our expectations regarding such products could be affected by, among other things, the uncertainties inherent in research and development, including clinical trial results and additional analysis of existing clinical data; regulatory actions or delays or government regulation generally; global trends toward health care cost containment, including government, payor and general public pricing and reimbursement pressures and requirements for increased pricing transparency; our ability to obtain or maintain proprietary intellectual property protection; the particular prescribing preferences of physicians and patients; general political, economic and business conditions, including the effects of and efforts to mitigate pandemic diseases such as COVID-19; safety, quality, data integrity or manufacturing issues; potential or actual data security and data privacy breaches, or disruptions of our information technology systems, and other risks and factors referred to in Novartis AG’s current Form 20-F on file with the US Securities and Exchange Commission. Novartis is providing the information in this press release as of this date and does not undertake any obligation to update any forward-looking statements contained in this press release as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Novartis is reimagining medicine to improve and extend people’s lives. As a leading global medicines company, we use innovative science and digital technologies to create transformative treatments in areas of great medical need. In our quest to find new medicines, we consistently rank among the world’s top companies investing in research and development. Novartis products reach nearly 800 million people globally and we are finding innovative ways to expand access to our latest treatments. About 109,000 people of more than 140 nationalities work at Novartis around the world. Find out more at https://www.novartis.com.
Novartis is on Twitter. Sign up to follow @Novartis at https://twitter.com/novartisnews
For Novartis multimedia content, please visit https://www.novartis.com/news/media-library
For questions about the site or required registration, please contact email@example.com
- Novartis data on file. September 2020.
- ClinicalTrials.gov. Study of Efficacy and Safety of Brolucizumab vs. Aflibercept in Patients With Visual Impairment Due to Diabetic Macular Edema (KESTREL). https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03481634. Accessed September 2020.
- Leasher JL, et al. Global Estimates on the Number of People Blind or Visually Impaired by Diabetic Retinopathy: A Meta-Analysis from 1990 to 2010. Diabetes Care. 2016;39:1643-9.
- Romero-Aroca P. Managing diabetic macular edema: The leading cause of diabetes blindness. World J Diabetes. 2011;2(6):98-104. doi:10.4239/wjd.v2.i6.98.
- National Eye Institute. Diabetic Retinopathy. Available at: https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/eye-conditions-and-diseases/diabetic-retinopathy. Accessed August 2020.
- National Eye Institute. Macular Edema. Available at: https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/eye-conditions-and-diseases/macular-edema#section-id-1556. Accessed August 2020.
- Beovu [US prescribing information] East Hanover, NJ. Novartis: 2019
- Beovu [summary of product characteristics] Basel, Switzerland. Novartis: 2020.
- Pharma Japan. National Health Insurance Pricing. Available at: https://pj.jiho.jp/sites/default/files/pj/document/2020/05/New%20Drugs%20to%20Be%20Added%20to%20NHI%20Price%20List%20on%20May%2020_1.pdf. Accessed September 2020.
- Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health. CADTH Canadian Drug Expert Committee Recommendation. Available at: https://cadth.ca/sites/default/files/cdr/complete/SR0632%20Beovu%20-%20CDEC%20Final%20Recommendation%20%E2%80%93%20May%2025%2C%202020_for%20posting.pdf. Accessed September 2020.
- Beovu [prescription medicine decision summary] Australia. Novartis: 2020.
- Dugel P, Koh A, Ogura Y, et al; HAWK and HARRIER Study Investigators. HAWK and HARRIER: Phase 3, multicenter, randomized, double-masked trials of brolucizumab for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Ophthalmology. 2020;127(1):72-84
- Dugel PU, Singh RP, Koh A, et al. HAWK and HARRIER: 96-Week outcomes from the phase 3 trials of brolucizumab for neovascular age-related macular degeneration [published online ahead of print]. Ophthalmology. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2020.06.028.
- Nimz EL, et al. Intraocular and systemic pharmacokinetics of brolucizumab (RTH258) in nonhuman primates. The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) annual meeting. 2016. Abstract 4996
- Escher D, et al. Single-chain antibody fragments in ophthalmology. Oral presentation at EURETINA congress. 2015. Abstract.
- Gaudreault J, et al. Preclinical pharmacology and safety of ESBA1008, a single-chain antibody fragment, investigated as potential treatment for age related macular degeneration. ARVO Annual Meeting abstract. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2012;53:3025. http://iovs.arvojournals.org/article.aspx?articleid=2354604 (link is external). Accessed February 2020
- Tietz J, et al. Affinity and Potency of RTH258 (ESBA1008), a Novel Inhibitor of Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor A for the Treatment of Retinal Disorders. IOVS. 2015; 56(7):1501.
- Kim R. Introduction, mechanism of action and rationale for anti-vascular endothelial growth factor drugs in age-related macular degeneration. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2007;55(6):413-415.
# # #
Novartis Media Relations
| Peter Zuest|
Novartis External Communications
+ 41 79 899 9812 (mobile)
Novartis US External Communications
+1 646 438 4335
| Amy Wolf|
Novartis Division Communications
+ 41 61 696 58 94 (direct)
+ 41 79 576 07 23 (mobile)
Novartis Investor Relations
Central investor relations line: +41 61 324 7944
|Samir Shah||+41 61 324 7944||Sloan Simpson||+1 862 778 5052|
| Thomas Hungerbuehler |
| +41 61 324 8425|
+41 61 324 7188
One Liberty Plaza - 165 Broadway
NY 10006 New York
GlobeNewswire is one of the world's largest newswire distribution networks, specializing in the delivery of corporate press releases financial disclosures and multimedia content to the media, investment community, individual investors and the general public.
Subscribe to releases from GlobeNewswire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from GlobeNewswire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from GlobeNewswire
Inventiva receives FDA Fast Track designation in MPS VI for its clinical-stage asset odiparci19.10.2020 22:00:00 CEST | Press release
The designation is intended to accelerate the regulatory review and facilitate the overall development of odiparcil for the treatment of MPS VI patients Daix (France), October 19, 2020 – Inventiva (Euronext Paris and Nasdaq: IVA), a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the development of oral small molecule therapies for the treatment of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), mucopolysaccharidoses (MPS) and other diseases with significant unmet medical need, today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted Fast Track designation to odiparcil, the Company’s clinical-stage drug candidate for the treatment of MPS type VI (MPS VI), a rare and progressive genetic disorder. The Fast Track program of the FDA is designed to facilitate the development and expedite the regulatory review and potential approval of drug candidates. Its overall objective is to improve patient access to therapies aimed at treating serious conditions and filling significant un
Orion upgrades full-year outlook for 202019.10.2020 19:35:00 CEST | Press release
ORION CORPORATION STOCK EXCHANGE RELEASE INSIDE INFORMATION 19 OCTOBER 2020 at 20.35 EEST Orion upgrades full-year outlook for 2020 Orion Corporation upgrades the full-year outlook for 2020, provided on 8 July 2020, both for the part regarding net sales and operating profit. In 2020, the net sales are estimated to be at a similar level as in 2019 or slightly higher than in 2019. Operating profit is estimated to be higher or clearly higher than in 2019. In January–September 2020 Orion’s preliminary net sales were EUR 823 million and preliminary operating profit was EUR 246 million. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic the whole year international sales of Dexdor® will be clearly higher than expected at the start of the year. The demand spike of generic prescription drugs and self-care products in March has levelled off during the year as expected but the full-year sales of some products, however, will be higher than expected at the start of the year. Additionally, the risk of COVID-19-induced l
Press Statement19.10.2020 18:59:42 CEST | Press release
Amsterdam, 19 October 2020 JDE Peet’s (EURONEXT: JDEP), the world's largest pure-play coffee and tea group by revenue, has been informed by Euronext Amsterdam that Euronext Amsterdam is coping with technical issues that prevents Euronext Amsterdam to provide an accurate closing price for JDE Peet’s today. Euronext Amsterdam informed the company that the ultimate correct closing share price for JDE Peet’s on Monday 19 October is expected to be very close to the previous closing price of EUR 33.60. Enquiries Media Michael Orr (EN) | Nathalie Rolland (FR) Media@JDEPeets.com Investors & Analysts Robin Jansen +31 6 1594 4569 Robin.Jansen@JDEcoffee.com About JDE Peet’s JDE Peet’s is the world's largest pure-play coffee and tea group by revenue, serving approximately 130 billion cups of coffee and tea in the financial year ended 31 December 2019 in more than 100 developed and emerging countries. With a portfolio of more than 50 leading global, regional and local coffee and tea brands, JDE Pee
PRESS RELEASE: NACON COMPLETES ITS VIDEO GAME DEVELOPMENT UNIT: ACQUISITION OF NEOPICA19.10.2020 17:45:10 CEST | Press release
Press release Lesquin, 19 October 2020 18:00hrs ACQUISITION OF NEOPICA NACON COMPLETES ITS VIDEO GAME DEVELOPMENT UNIT Nacon announces the signing of an agreement to acquire Neopica, a Belgian video game development studio specialising in sports and life simulation games. Following the acquisition of 5 studios over the last 2 years, this new operation enables Nacon to consolidate its position as a developer-publisher by strengthening its expertise in the production of games in promising genres. Created in 2007 by Peter Vermeulen and Filip Hautekeete, among others, Neopica is a renowned Belgian studio that has developed around sixty games, including a number of casual games designed to appeal to the widest possible audience, particularly children, before moving on to more complex simulation games. Neopica and Nacon have enjoyed a fruitful collaboration for several years. In this respect, Neopica produced the Hunting Simulator 1 & 2 hunting games and the FIA Euro Truck Racing Championshi
Auriant Mining AB (publ.) publicerar verksamhetsuppdatering för 9 månader 202019.10.2020 17:45:00 CEST | Pressemelding
Viktiga händelser: • Den totala guldproduktionen under 9 månader 2020 uppgick till 755 kg (24 285 oz), jämfört med 481 kg (15 467 oz) under 9 månader 2019, en ökning med 57% eller 274 kg (8 818 oz). Malmbaserad guldproduktion vid Tardan ökade från 430 kg (13 812 oz) under 9 månader 2019 till 750 kg (24 112 oz) under 9 månader 2020 eller med 75%; • Guldförsäljning under 9 månader 2020 uppgick till 757 kg (24 322 oz), jämfört med 426 kg (13 696 oz) under 9 månader 2019, en ökning med 331 kg (10 642 oz) eller med 78%; • Volymen av malm som bearbetades genom den nybyggda CIL-anläggningen uppgick till 291 kt med en snitthalt om 2,77 g/t (guld i malmen totalt – 806 kg); • CIL-anläggningen var i drift med beräknad bearbetningskapacitet per arbetstimme (>50 ton/timme) och återvinningsgrad (92,9%); • Lakning på hög avbröts i slutet of december 2019; • Volymen för den brutna malmen uppgick till 274 kt (18% lägre än under samma period föregående år). Arbetsvolymen för avrymningen uppgick till 684
Auriant Mining AB (publ.) publishes 9m 2020 operational update19.10.2020 17:45:00 CEST | Press release
Highlights: • 9m 2020 total gold productionamounted to 755 kg (24,285 oz), compared to 481 kg (15,467 oz) in 9m 2019, an increase of 57%, or 274 kg (8,818 oz). Hard rock gold production at Tardan increased from 430 kg (13,812 oz) in 9m 2019 to 750 kg (24,112 oz) in 9m 2020, or by 75%; • 9m 2020 gold sales amounted to 757 kg (24,322 oz), compared to 426 kg (13,696 oz) in 9m 2019, an increase of 331 kg (10,642 oz), or 78%; • Volume of ore processed through the newly built CIL plant amounted to 291 thousand tonnes with an average grade of 2.77 g/t (total gold in processed ore – 806 kg); • The CIL plant was operating at projected throughput per working hour (>50 t/hour) and higher recovery rate (92.9%); • Heap leach operations were discontinued at the end of December, 2019; • Ore mined amounted to 274 thousand tonnes (18% less than in the same period of the previous year). Stripping volume in 9m 2020 was 684 thousand m3 (12% less than in 9m 2019); • The average grade in ore mined in 9m 202