Nokia celebrates twelve months of 5G achievements
- Nokia achieves 23 landmark 5G ‘firsts’ between September 2018 and September 2019
- Game-changing achievements include six world firsts, seven technology firsts, and 10 regional firsts – all in the field of 5G
- Achievements underscore and extend Nokia’s innovation and technology leadership record, as the 5G era begins to take shape
2 October 2019
Espoo, Finland – Nokia is celebrating twelve months of 5G ‘firsts’: a milestone defined by 23 game-changing achievements in the field of 5G.
Over a twelve-month period that started on 6 September 2018 with the first over-the-air, end-to-end data transmission on a commercial 3GPP 5G New Radio network in partnership with Verizon, Nokia has gone forward to achieve an additional 22 5G firsts in six continents and in a wide range of technology areas.
In addition, as North America is thus far the world’s largest 5G market, Nokia has positioned itself as the leading vendor with the largest 5G population coverage footprint.
Chief among the achievements in the past 12 months are six world firsts in 5G secured by Nokia’s technology and its people, including:
- The first environment for verification to develop the connected car using 5G, enabled by Nokia’s 3GPP-standard base stations for Softbank
- The first tests into new aspects of the 5G standard in real-world industrial conditions at the Port of Hamburg in Germany, together with the Hamburg Port Authority and Deutsche Telekom
- The first over-the-air 5G data transmission using 2.5 GHz and massive MIMO antenna technology, on Sprint’s live commercial network in San Diego, together with Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and Sprint
Nokia has also helped to power seven technology firsts in 5G, which along with the September 2018 Verizon trial include:
- The first 8K Ultra High Definition TV streaming in real conditions over 5G, delivered in partnership with France Télévisions
- The first cloud-based VR gaming on an AI-powered 5G network using open RAN architecture to manage the extreme network demands of immersive real-time VR gaming, after teaming up with CMCC
- The first 5G solution for one of the world’s largest events, the Hajj in Saudi Arabia, using VR to allow visitors to experience Hajj remotely as if they are present on site
Nokia, together with its partners and customers, have also achieved 10 regional firsts in 5G, including:
- The first outdoor pilot of 5G New Radio on 3.5GHz frequency band in Singapore, in partnership with StarHub
- The first nationwide 5G coverage in Europe by, together with TIM, providing full coverage of the entire Republic of San Marino
- The first 5G deals in South Africa, with rain; in Latin America, with ANTEL in Uruguay; and most recently in New Zealand, with Vodafone New Zealand
Marcus Weldon, Nokia’s Corporate CTO and President of Nokia Bell Labs, said: “The past 12 months of Nokia’s 5G milestones and successes stem from our years of research into 5G and the resulting innovative technologies are changing the world for consumers and industries.
“Whether enabling new geographies to experience the possibilities of 5G for the first time, pushing technology to define new limits and deliver groundbreaking performance, or achieving 5G firsts never before seen, Nokia’s end-to-end portfolio is helping customers redefine what’s possible, as the true potential of 5G starts to take hold.”
Nokia Bell Labs pioneered many of the fundamental technology innovations that are being adopted into 5G standards. Inventions in Low Density parity check (LDPC), 5G radio stack design, Massive MIMO, Mobile Edge Computing, and millimeter Wave have enabled 5G Release 15, and new innovations in 5G unlicensed spectrum and Industrial IoT are leading the digital transformation to industrial automation and Industry 4.0. In addition, Nokia has played a key leadership role in driving the first set of globally interoperable 5G standards through its contribution to the 3GPP standards organization.
Full list of Nokia’s 23 5G firsts achieved since September 2018:
Six world firsts in 5G:
- World’s first construction of environment for verification of 5G connected car to start test for commercialization - Utilize Nokia’s 3GPP standard baseband station for the test
- Sprint Completes World's First 5G Data Call Using 2.5 GHz and Massive MIMO on Commercial Network
- Nokia wins contract to supply first 5G in New Zealand with Vodafone New Zealand
- Zain Saudi and Nokia use 5G network to support remote viewing of Hajj events via live, advanced Virtual Reality
- In a world first, Hamburg Port Authority, Deutsche Telekom, and Nokia test new applications in real-world industrial conditions at the Port of Hamburg in Germany
- Nokia and Qualcomm kickstart the era of 5G for industry with demonstrations at Hannover Messe 2019
Seven technology firsts in 5G:
- First over air data transmission on a commercial 5G network
- World’s first 8K Ultra High Definition TV program streamed on 5G
- Nokia and CMCC demonstrate cloud-based VR gaming on an AI-powered 5G network using O-RAN architecture and Nokia edge cloud computing platform at MWC19
- Nokia deploying 5G for Vodafone Italy's 5G trial in Milan
- Nokia and Vodafone collaborate on active antennas to boost 5G radio capacity and reduce costs
- Nokia and Saudi Telecom Co. (STC) sign deal for 5G network launch and early rollout of services
- Nokia and TIM break European record for long-distance data transmission over high-speed network - laying groundwork for 5G
10 geographical firsts in 5G:
- Japan-first trial of 5G to offer logistics solutions through remote operation of unmanned delivery robot.
- Nokia and StarHub complete the first outdoor pilot of 5G New Radio on 3.5GHz frequency band in Singapore
- Helsinki Airport becomes the world’s first 5G airport with Telia and Nokia
- San Marino becomes first 5G full-coverage State
- Nokia and CMCC deliver world's first AI-powered cloud VR experience over O-RAN architecture on CMCC live 5G network
- Nokia and Optus establish multiple world firsts with 5G roll out in Australia
- Sony Pictures takes "Spider-Man(TM): Far From Home" to new heights with 5G powered by Nokia and Intel
- South African operator rain and Nokia launch country's first 5G network to support early rollout of 5G services
- ANTEL and Nokia make the first 5G call on a commercial network in Latin America
- First telecom factory in India to start manufacturing 5G base stations
We create the technology to connect the world. We develop and deliver the industry's only end-to-end portfolio of network equipment, software, services and licensing that is available globally. Our customers include communications service providers whose combined networks support 6.1 billion subscriptions, as well as enterprises in the private and public sector that use our network portfolio to increase productivity and enrich lives.
Through our research teams, including the world-renowned Nokia Bell Labs, we are leading the world to adopt end-to-end 5G networks that are faster, more secure and capable of revolutionizing lives, economies and societies. Nokia adheres to the highest ethical business standards as we create technology with social purpose, quality and integrity. www.nokia.com
Phone: +358 10 448 4900
One Liberty Plaza - 165 Broadway
NY 10006 New York
GlobeNewswire is one of the world's largest newswire distribution networks, specializing in the delivery of corporate press releases financial disclosures and multimedia content to the media, investment community, individual investors and the general public.
Subscribe to releases from GlobeNewswire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from GlobeNewswire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from GlobeNewswire
Golar LNG Partners LP: Q3 2019 results presentation21.10.2019 14:19:00 CEST | Press release
Golar LNG Partners LP 3rd Quarter 2019 results will be released before the NASDAQ opens on Tuesday November 26, 2019. In connection with this a webcast presentation will be held at 4:30 P.M (London Time) on Tuesday, November 26, 2019. The presentation will be available to download from the Investor Relations section at www.golarlngpartners.com This webcast will be immediately followed by a Q&A session. Participants will be able to join this webcast by dialling-in using the following details: a. Webcast Go to the Investors, Results Centre section at www.golarlngpartners.com and click on the link to "Webcast". To listen to the conference call from the web, you need to have installed Windows Media Player, and you need to have a sound card on your computer. b. Teleconference Call-in numbers: International call +44 2071 928 000 UK Free call 0800 376 7922 US Toll +1 631 510 7495 USA Free call 866 966 1396 Norway Toll +47 23 96 02 64 Norway Free call 800 51874 The participants will be asked f
Rovio Entertainment Corp.: Capital Markets Day 2019 Agenda21.10.2019 14:16:00 CEST | Press release
Rovio Entertainment Corporation Press Release Oct. 21, 2019 Rovio Entertainment is organizing Capital Markets Day for analysts, institutional investors and financial media on Monday November 4th, 2019. Location: Kluuvikatu 4, 00100 Helsinki, Finland During the day Rovio’s CEO Kati Levoranta, together with members of Games leadership and other senior management, will present an overview on Rovio’s strategy, including a deep dive into the games portfolio and growth strategy. A short Q&A session is scheduled after each presentation and at the end of the day. Capital Markets Day 2019 agenda (all times in EET): 12:00-13:00 Registration & lunch 13:00-13:40 Rovio overview & strategy: winning in a dynamic growth market 13:40-13:55 Passionate, skillful teams and inspiring culture 13:55-15:10 Games - our unique approach to drive growth 15:10-15:25 Coffee Break 15:25-15:45 Angry Birds - building long-term franchise growth 15:45-16:00 Hatch - pioneering mobile game streaming 16:00-16:30 Financials
Norsk Hydro: REMINDER: Invitation - Hydro’s third quarter results 201921.10.2019 14:04:00 CEST | Press release
Hydro's third quarter results 2019 will be released at 07:00 CEST (01:00 AM EDT, 06:00 UK time), on Wednesday October 23, 2019. The quarterly report and presentation slides will be available on www.hydro.com at the same time. Presentation in Oslo Hydro will host a combined analyst and press conference, in English, at its corporate headquarters at Drammensveien 260, Oslo, at 08:30 CEST the same day. The presentation will be held by President and CEO Hilde Merete Aasheim and CFO Pål Kildemo and can also be seen on webcast. To attend the presentation in Oslo, please register by sending a mail to email@example.com. In addition to the webcast, where it will be possible to ask questions in writing, it will also be possible to dial in (not possible to ask questions over the phone). To join this event, please use the below “Click to Join” link 5-10 minutes prior to start time (choose “Click to Join” twice), where you will be asked to enter your phone number and registration details. The Event Confe
Norsk Hydro: PÅMINNELSE: Invitasjon - Presentasjon av Hydros resultat for tredje kvartal 201921.10.2019 14:04:00 CEST | Pressemelding
Hydros resultat for tredje kvartal 2019 blir offentliggjort onsdag 23. oktober 2019 kl. 07.00. Kvartalsrapporten og presentasjonsmaterialet blir samtidig gjort tilgjengelig på www.hydro.com. Presentasjon i Oslo Det blir holdt en kombinert analytikerpresentasjon og pressekonferanse ved Hydros hovedkontor i Drammensveien 260, Oslo, samme dag, kl. 08.30. Resultatet blir presentert av konsernsjef Hilde Merete Aasheim og konserndirektør for Økonomi og finans Pål Kildemo. Hele presentasjonen kan sees direkte på web-TV. For påmelding, vennligst send mail til firstname.lastname@example.org. I tillegg til web-TV, hvor det vil være mulig å stille spørsmål skriftlig, vil det også være mulig å ringe inn (ikke mulig å stille spørsmål over telefon). Du melder deg på denne telefonkonferansen ved å klikke på lenken “Click to Join“ 5-10 minutter før start (velg “Click to Join“ to ganger), hvor du må oppgi telefonnummer og registreringsdetaljer. Konferansesystemet vil ringe tilbake på det oppgitte telefonnummeret og plas
Valmet to supply a coated board machine to Graphic Packaging International in the United States21.10.2019 14:00:00 CEST | Press release
Valmet Oyj’s press release on October 21, 2019 at 3:00 p.m. EET Valmet will supply a coated board machine for Graphic Packaging International’s (GPI) mill in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in the United States. With this investment in the latest coated board technology, GPI is committing to sustainable packaging with exceptional product quality and cost competitiveness for producing coated recycled board (CRB) grades. The start-up of the machine is scheduled for the first half of 2022. The order is included in Valmet's orders received of the third quarter 2019. The value of the order is not disclosed. “Valmet has offered us innovative yet proven technology to reach our high product quality targets. We have had a long and good cooperation with Valmet. Our relationship is based on mutual trust, which is very important in large projects like this one,” says Rusty Miller, Senior Vice President, Engineering and Technology, GPI. “Valmet has a very good relationship with Graphic Packaging International
Klövern säljer 42 fastigheter i Karlstad för 2 610 mkr21.10.2019 13:10:00 CEST | Pressemelding
Klövern har tecknat avtal om att avyttra hela sitt fastighetsbestånd i Karlstad, bestående av 42 fastigheter, för ett sammanlagt underliggande fastighetsvärde om 2 610 mkr. Fastigheternas uthyrningsbara yta uppgår till cirka 204 000 kvm och utgörs huvudsakligen av kontor samt lager/logistik. Hyresvärdet uppgår till 247 mkr och den ekonomiska uthyrningsgraden uppgår till 95 procent. Transaktionen görs i syfte att geografiskt renodla Klöverns fastighetsportfölj till färre orter. Frånträde är planerat till den 29 november 2019. Transaktionen omfattar följande fastigheter: Barkassen 7 Bälgen 11 Kanoten 10 Stolpen 1 Barkassen 9 Druvan 13 Kulingen 4 Stolpen 6 Björnen 13 Ekorren 11 Mercurius 3 Styrmannen 5 Björnen 7 Fjädern 14 Monitorn 9 Sågen 1 Blåsten 3 Fjädern 16 Passadvinden 3 Sågen 2 Blåsten 4 Freja 13 Pinassen 2 Sågen 9 Brisen 4 Grästegen 2 Regnvinden 1 Tornadon 2 Bromsen 1 Gångjärnet 2 Skepparen 15 Tången 15 Bromsen 6 Hammaren 21 Släggan 13 Ugnen 1 Bälgen 9 Herrhagen 1:10 Spärren 7 Vän