Minerva Neurosciences Reports Fiscal Year 2022 Fourth Quarter And Year End Financial Results And Business Updates
Company to Host Conference Call Today at 8:30 a.m. ET
BURLINGTON, Mass., March 08, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Minerva Neurosciences, Inc. (Nasdaq: NERV), a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the development of therapies to treat central nervous system disorders, today reported business updates and financial results for the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2022.
“In 2022, we had multiple interactions with the FDA regarding the regulatory path forward for our lead compound, roluperidone. After submitting an NDA for roluperidone to the FDA in August, we received a Refuse to File letter (RTF) in the fall, which was upheld following another meeting with the FDA. We remain committed to developing roluperidone as a potentially transformative treatment for those patients with negative symptoms of schizophrenia and we anticipate further discussion with the FDA over the coming months,” said Dr. Remy Luthringer, Executive Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Minerva.
- In March 2022, Minerva attended a Type C meeting with the FDA, who advised that certain concerns remained, which were outlined in our press release on April 7, 2022, specifically:
- The applicability of the Phase 2b data (conducted outside of the U.S). to the U.S. population;
- The Phase 3 study did not meet its primary endpoint;
- FDA sought reassurance that Minerva could reliably identify patients who do not need antipsychotics and how to evaluate the stability of those patients; and
- The FDA also noted that roluperidone might be used by prescribers in a way that differs significantly from the intended monotherapy use and that the sponsor had not presented data to show that roluperidone would not interfere with the safety or efficacy of antipsychotic medications.
- In August 2022, the Company submitted the NDA for roluperidone. Additional data were provided which the Company believed addressed the concerns raised by FDA at the April 2022 Type C meeting. The submission was supported by results from two late-stage, well-controlled studies in patients with moderate to severe negative symptoms and stable positive symptoms of schizophrenia.
- In October 2022, Minerva received a RTF from the FDA. Consequently, a Type A meeting was requested to discuss the RTF, which was held on November 30, 2022. Following the Type A meeting, the FDA confirmed that the RTF remains in effect.
Fourth Quarter and Year End Financial Results
- Net loss: Net loss for the fourth quarter ended December 31, 2022 was $6.7 million, or a loss per share of $1.26 (basic and diluted), as compared to a net loss of $21.3 million for the fourth quarter ended December 31 2021, or a loss per share of $3.99 (basic and diluted). For the year ended December 31, 2022, net loss was $32.1 million, or a loss per share of $6.01 (basic and diluted), versus a net loss of $49.9 million for the year ended December 31, 2021, or a loss per share of $9.35 (basic and diluted).
- Research and development (R&D) expense: R&D expense for the fourth quarters ended December 31, 2022 and 2021 was $3.2 million and $18.7 million, respectively, a decrease of $15.5 million. The decrease in R&D expense was primarily due to an impairment charge of $15.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2021 to the carrying value of in-process research and development related to the MIN-301 development program.
R&D expense for the years ended December 31, 2022 and 2021 was $14.6 million and $32.0 million, respectively, a decrease of $17.4 million. The decrease in R&D expense was primarily due to an impairment charge of $15.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2021 to the carrying value of in-process research and development related to MIN-301, as well as lower clinical trial costs during 2022. Non-cash stock compensation costs included within R&D expense for the years ended December 31, 2022 and 2021 was $2.0 million and $2.4 million, respectively.
- General and administrative (G&A) expense: G&A expense for the fourth quarters ended December 31, 2022 and 2021 was $1.9 million and $2.6 million, respectively, a decrease of $0.7 million. G&A expense for the years ended December 31, 2022 and 2021 was $10.6 million and $13.3 million, respectively, a decrease of $2.7 million. The decrease in G&A expense for both the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2022 versus the prior year periods was primarily due to lower compensation expense and lower legal and insurance fees. Non-cash stock compensation costs included in G&A expense for the years ended December 31, 2022 and 2021 was $2.1 million and $2.8 million, respectively.
- Cash Position: Cash, cash equivalents, and restricted cash as of December 31, 2022 were approximately $36.2 million, compared to $60.9 million as of December 31, 2021. In January 2023, we received a refund of our NDA filing fee of $3.1 million from the FDA. This refund was made in accordance with the Federal Food Drug and Cosmetic Act, which allows a fee waiver for a small business submitting its first human drug application.
Conference Call Information:
The live conference call will begin this morning at 8:30 a.m. ET and may be accessed here and on the Company’s website under Events and Presentations.
The archived webcast will be available on the Company’s website beginning approximately two hours after the event for 90 days.
About Minerva Neurosciences
Minerva Neurosciences, Inc. (Nasdaq: NERV) is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing product candidates to treat central nervous system (CNS) diseases. Our goal is to transform the lives of patients with improved therapeutic options. Minerva’s portfolio of compounds includes roluperidone (MIN-101), for negative symptoms of schizophrenia, and MIN-301, for Parkinson’s disease. For more information, please visit our website.
Forward-Looking Safe Harbor Statement
This press release contains forward-looking statements which are subject to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, as amended. Forward-looking statements are statements that are not historical facts, reflect management’s expectations as of the date of this press release, and involve certain risks and uncertainties. Forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, statements herein with respect to the clinical and therapeutic potential of roluperidone (MIN-101); and the expectations regarding continued conversation with the FDA with respect to roluperidone and the timing thereof. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations and may differ materially from actual results due to a variety of factors including, without limitation, whether roluperidone will advance further in the clinical trials process and whether and when, if at all, it will receive final approval from the FDA or equivalent foreign regulatory agencies and for which indications; whether we will be able to continue the discussion with the FDA regarding our NDA submission for roluperidone and the outcome thereof; management’s ability to successfully achieve its goals; our ability to raise additional capital to fund our operations and corporate objectives on terms acceptable to us; general economic conditions; and other factors that are described under the caption “Risk Factors” in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2022, filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 8, 2023. Copies of reports filed with the SEC are posted on our website at www.minervaneurosciences.com. The forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to us as of the date hereof, and we disclaim any obligation to update any forward-looking statements, except as required by law.
Chief Financial Officer
Minerva Neurosciences, Inc.
Shik Communications LLC
|CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEET DATA|
|December 31, |
|December 31, |
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||36,094||$||60,755|
|Refundable regulatory fee||3,117||-|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||848||1,346|
|Total current assets||40,159||62,201|
|Equipment & capitalized software, net||59||52|
|LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS' (DEFICIT) EQUITY|
|Accrued expenses and other current liabilities||408||966|
|Total current liabilities||1,377||2,819|
|Liability related to the sale of future royalties||73,734||66,327|
|Stockholders' (Deficit) Equity:|
|Additional paid-in capital||346,785||342,676|
|Total stockholders' (deficit) equity||(20,024||)||7,976|
|Total Liabilities and Stockholders' (Deficit) Equity||$||55,087||$||77,122|
CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF OPERATIONS
|Three Months Ended December 31,|
(in thousands, except per share amounts)
|Twelve Months Ended December 31|
(in thousands, except per share amounts)
|Research and development||$||3,190||$||18,746||$||14,649||$||32,039|
|General and administrative||1,880||2,631||10,582||13,327|
|Total operating expenses||5,070||21,377||25,231||45,366|
|Loss from operations||(5,070||)||(21,377||)||(25,231||)||(45,366||)|
|Foreign exchange loss||(28||)||(4||)||(28||)||(33||)|
|Non-cash interest expense for the sale of future royalties||(1,925||)||(1,733||)||(7,407||)||(6,327||)|
|Loss before income taxes||(6,726||)||(23,110||)||(32,109||)||(51,709||)|
|Benefit for income taxes||-||1,803||-||1,803|
|Net loss per share, basic and diluted||$||(1.26||)||$||(3.99||)||$||(6.01||)||$||(9.35||)|
|Weighted average shares outstanding, basic and diluted||5,340||5,340||5,340||5,340|
To view this piece of content from www.globenewswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
To view this piece of content from ml.globenewswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
About GlobeNewswire by notified
One Liberty Plaza - 165 Broadway
NY 10006 New York
GlobeNewswire by notified is one of the world's largest newswire distribution networks, specializing in the delivery of corporate press releases financial disclosures and multimedia content to the media, investment community, individual investors and the general public.
Subscribe to releases from GlobeNewswire by notified
Subscribe to all the latest releases from GlobeNewswire by notified by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from GlobeNewswire by notified
Orkuveita Reykjavíkur – Green Bond Offering Results29.3.2023 20:44:54 CEST | Press release
Today, March 30th, Orkuveita Reykjavíkur (OR; Reykjavik Energy) concluded a closed green bond offering in series OR020934 GB and OR180255 GB. OR020934 GB bears fixed indexed interest and pays equal payments every six months with a final maturity date of September 2nd, 2034. Previously, bonds have been issued with a nominal value of ISK 12,617 million in the category. The series attracted bids totalling ISK 2,160 million nominal value at yields between 3.17% and 3.35%. OR accepted bids amounting to ISK 1,960 million at a yield of 3.24%. OR180255 GB bears fixed indexed interest and pays equal payments every six months with a final maturity date of February 18th, 2055. Previously, bonds have been issued with a nominal value of ISK 22,601 million in the category. The series attracted bids totalling ISK 820 million nominal value at yields between 2.99% and 3.15%. OR accepted bids amounting to ISK 620 million at a yield of 3.04%. Fossar Investment Bank oversees the issuance and sale of the b
Medium-term Fiscal Strategy Plan 2024-2028: to counter inflation, safeguard living standards and support growth29.3.2023 20:11:00 CEST | Press release
The government's fiscal strategy plan for the next five years lays out its strategy to utilise fiscal policy in a targeted manner to counter inflation and overheating by increasing expenditure restraint and revenue generation and postponing public investments. At the same time, important basic services that the government has significantly reinforced in recent years are maintained, based on the strong position of the Treasury. Financial support will be provided for those groups least able to withstand the impact of rising inflation, as was done with the government's support actions during the pandemic and the previous year. The Treasury’s fiscal position has improved significantly in recent quarters , and the fiscal outlook for this year appears likely to be better than implied by the most optimistic scenarios of previous projections. Eighteen months ago, the objective was set in the government’s Fiscal policy statement to halt the increase in debt to GDP ratio no later than by year-en
Intervest Offices & Warehouses NV: announces the departure in mutual agreement of Gunther Gielen as CEO29.3.2023 20:05:18 CEST | Press release
The mandate of Gunther Gielen as CEO with Intervest Offices & Warehouses NV ends in mutual agreement and with immediate effect. Attachment PR_GG_ENG
Nokia Corporation: Repurchase of own shares on 29.03.202329.3.2023 20:00:00 CEST | Press release
Nokia Corporation Stock Exchange Release 29 March 2023 at 21:00 EEST Nokia Corporation: Repurchase of own shares on 29.03.2023 Espoo, Finland – On 29 March 2023 Nokia Corporation (LEI: 549300A0JPRWG1KI7U06) has acquired its own shares (ISIN FI0009000681) as follows: Trading venue (MIC Code)Number of sharesWeighted average price / share, EUR*XHEL231,0134.39CEUX38,2144.38AQEU9,7344.37TQEX21,5394.39Total300,5004.39 * Rounded to two decimals On 3 February 2022, Nokia announced that its Board of Directors is initiating a share buyback program under the authorization granted by Nokia’s Annual General Meeting on 8 April 2021 to return up to EUR 600 million of cash to shareholders in tranches over a period of two years. The second phase of the share buyback program in compliance with the Market Abuse Regulation (EU) 596/2014 (MAR), the Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2016/1052 and under the authorization granted by Nokia’s Annual General Meeting on 5 April 2022 started on 2 January 2023 a
Zealand Pharma's Annual General Meeting 202329.3.2023 20:00:00 CEST | Press release
Company announcement – No. 9 / 2023 Zealand Pharma's Annual General Meeting 2023 Copenhagen, March 29, 2023 - Today, Zealand Pharma A/S ("Zealand") (NASDAQ: ZEAL) (CVR no. 20 04 50 78), held its Annual General Meeting of 2023 as a partly electronic general meeting. At the meeting, all proposals presented to the General Meeting were adopted. The General Meeting acknowledged the management's report on Zealand's activities in the past financial year and Zealand's audited Annual Report for 2022 was approved. The meeting also approved that the financial result for 2022, which was a loss of TDKK 1,202,135, was carried forward to the next financial year. All the incumbent board members were re-elected as recommended by the Nomination Committee. Hence, Zealand's Board of Directors consists of the following members: Alf Gunnar Martin Nicklasson Kirsten Aarup Drejer Alain MunozJeffrey Berkowitz Michael John Owen Leonard KruimerBernadette Mary Connaughton After the Annual General Meeting, the Boa