Interim Report - January-September 2022
STOCKHOLM – 18November2022. Karolinska Development AB (Nasdaq Stockholm: KDEV) today publishes its Interim Report-January-September 2022.The full report is available on the Company's website.
“The ability of our portfolio companies, AnaCardio and Umecrine Cognition, to complete funding rounds for SEK 150 million and SEK 41 million, respectively – given the prevailing gloomy market climate – is a sign of strength and underlines the innovative excellence of their development projects”, says Viktor Drvota, CEO, Karolinska Development.
Significant events during the thirdquarter
- Karolinska Development has completed the previously announced investment in PharmNovo, thereby including it among its portfolio companies. As of July 4, Karolinska Development’s investment portfolio consists of ten companies (July 2022).
- The portfolio company Promimic announced that they and the US-based company Danco Medical formed a joint venture for the Processing of Medical Implants in the US market. The strategic initiative is expected to have a major impact on Promimic’s growth and profitability as early as next year (July 2022).
- The Board of Directors of the portfolio company Umecrine Cognition has recruited Anders Karlsson as the new CEO. He succeeds Magnus Doverskog, who moves on to a position as Chief Scientific Officer in the company. The recruitment aims to strengthen and broaden the management team with additional competence in business development and commercialization for the next phase in the company’s development. Anders Karlsson took over as CEO on 1st of September 2022 (August 2022).
- The portfolio company PharmNovo has initiated the clinical phase 1 program with PN-6047, a candidate drug developed as a potential treatment of nerve pain (August 2022).
- The portfolio company Modus Therapeutics’ collaborator Imperial College,London has included the first patient in the phase 1 clinical study SEVUSMART, which aims to evaluate the drug candidate sevuparin in pediatric patients with severe malaria (September 2022).
- Karolinska Development announced that the company has recruited Hans Christopher “HC” Toll to the position of Chief Financial Officer. He joined the company on October 1, 2022, and succeeded Per Aniansson, who has transitioned into a full-time position as Investment Director (September 2022).
- The portfolio company AnaCardio has completed a series A investment round of SEK 150 million from a group of long-term and reputable investors, including Flerie Invest, Industrifonden and 3B Health Ventures. The successful financing means a clear external validation of the potential of the company’s drug candidate AC01, which will shortly be evaluated in a clinical phase 1b/2a study in patients with heart failure (September 2022).
- The portfolio company Umecrine Cognition has secured funding of SEK 41 million for the start of a Phase 2 study of the drug candidate golexanolone in primary biliary cholangitis (PBC), a condition that occurs when the bile ducts in the liver are slowly destroyed. The financing is being implemented as a convertible loan with attached share options. Karolinska Development is investing SEK 15 million as part of an investor consortium that includes, among others, AB Ility. The dilutive effect of the transaction resulted in a negative earnings effect of SEK 49 million (7.7%) for Karolinska Development in the third quarter of 2022 (September 2022).
- The portfolio company Modus Therapeutics has completed the recruitment to its clinical phase 1b study of sevuparin, where the company’s lead asset sevuparin is being evaluated in a model of sepsis and septic shock, preparing for the first patient studies in sepsis (September 2022).
- The portfolio company Umecrine Cognition has presented new preclinical results that provide further support for the company's most advanced drug candidate golexanolone in the treatment of the rare autoimmune disease primary biliary cholangitis (PBC). Study data show that golexanolone has a significant positive effect on extreme fatigue in a validated test model. Umecrine Cognition plans to initiate a phase 2 clinical trial of golexanolone in patients suffering from PBC in the near future (September 2022).
Significant post-period events
- Karolinska Development announced its participation in a seed financing of Henlez, a privately owned Danish company focusing on a development project directed towards the chronic dermatological condition hidradenitis suppurativa. The global market for treatments of hidradenitis suppurativa is projected to reach USD 1.8 billion by 2028 (October 2022).
- The net profit/loss for the third quarter was SEK -46.6 million (SEK -1.2 million in the third quarter of 2021). Earnings per share totaled SEK -0.17. (SEK -0.01 in the third quarter of 2021). Net profit/loss for the period January – September 2022 amounted to SEK -98.1 (190.3) million.
- The result of the Change in fair value of shares in portfolio companies for the third quarter amounted to SEK -50.3 million (SEK 27.5 in the third quarter of 2021). The result is largely due to the dilutive effect of the financing round in Umecrine Cognition but also the downturn in share price in the listed holdings which is owned directly and indirectly via KDev Investments. The dilutive effect of the transaction in Umecrine Cognition has resulted in a negative earnings effect of SEK 49 million. The result of the Change in fair value of shares in portfolio companies for the period January – September 2022 amounted to SEK -91.4 (240.0) million.
- The total fair value of the portfolio was SEK 1,283.4 million at the end of September 2022, corresponding to an increase of SEK 9.1 million from SEK 1,274.2 million at the end of the previous quarter. The net portfolio fair value at that time was SEK 953.0 million, corresponding to an increase of SEK 11.3 million from SEK 941.7 million at the end of the previous quarter. The increase is mainly the net effect of investments during the quarter and the dilutive effect in Umecrine Cognition in connection with the downturn in share price of the listed holdings.
- Net asset value amounted to SEK 1,237.7 million, per share SEK 4.6, at the end of September 2022 (SEK 995.2 million, per share SEK 5.7 at the end of September 2021).
- Net sales totaled SEK 0.5 million during the third quarter of 2022 (SEK 0.5 million during the third quarter of 2021). Net sales for the period January – September 2022 totaled SEK 1.7 (1.7) million.
- Karolinska Development invested a total of SEK 61.8 million in portfolio companies during the third quarter of 2022. Third quarter investments in portfolio companies by Karolinska Development and other specialized life sciences investors totaled SEK 180.6 million.
- Cash and cash equivalents (including short-term investments) decreased by SEK 66.9 million during the third quarter, totaling SEK 207.0 million on 30 September 2022.
The Interim Reportfor Karolinska Development AB for the period January-September 2022 is available as a PDF atwww.karolinskadevelopment.com.
For further information, please contact:
Viktor Drvota, CEO, Karolinska Development AB
Phone: +46 73 982 52 02, e-mail: email@example.com
Hans Christopher “HC” Toll, CFO, Karolinska Development AB
Phone: +46 70 717 00 41, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
TO THE EDITORS
About Karolinska Development AB
Karolinska Development AB (Nasdaq Stockholm: KDEV) is a Nordic life sciences investment company. The company focuses on identifying breakthrough medical innovations in the Nordic region that are developed by entrepreneurs and leadership teams. The Company invests in the creation and growth of companies that advance these assets into commercial products that are designed to make a difference to patients' lives while providing an attractive return on investment to shareholders.
Karolinska Development has access to world-class medical innovations at the Karolinska Institutet and other leading universities and research institutes in the Nordic region. The Company aims to build companies around scientists who are leaders in their fields, supported by experienced management teams and advisers, and co-funded by specialist international investors, to provide the greatest chance of success.
Karolinska Development has established a portfolio of eleven companies targeting opportunities in innovative treatment for life-threatening or serious debilitating diseases.
The Company is led by an entrepreneurial team of investment professionals with a proven track record as company builders and with access to a strong global network.
For more information, please visit www.karolinskadevelopment.com
AttachmentsTo view this piece of content from www.globenewswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
To view this piece of content from ml-eu.globenewswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
About GlobeNewswire by notified
One Liberty Plaza - 165 Broadway
NY 10006 New York
GlobeNewswire by notified is one of the world's largest newswire distribution networks, specializing in the delivery of corporate press releases financial disclosures and multimedia content to the media, investment community, individual investors and the general public.
Subscribe to releases from GlobeNewswire by notified
Subscribe to all the latest releases from GlobeNewswire by notified by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from GlobeNewswire by notified
Benteler terminates the previously-announced sale to Tenaris of its Shreveport, Louisiana pipe manufacturing plant5.2.2023 19:20:07 CET | Press release
LUXEMBOURG, Feb. 05, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Tenaris S.A. (NYSE and Mexico: TS and EXM Italy: TEN) announced today that Benteler North America Corporation has exercised its right to unilaterally terminate, effective immediately, the previously-announced agreement for the sale to Tenaris of 100% of the shares of U.S. steel pipe producer Benteler Steel & Tube Manufacturing Corporation. Tenaris is a leading global supplier of steel tubes and related services for the world’s energy industry and certain other industrial applications. Giovanni Sardagna Tenaris 1-888-300-5432 www.tenaris.com
SKEL fjárfestingafélag hf.: Amendment to the financial calendar and previously disclosed information4.2.2023 19:13:54 CET | Press release
The audit of SKEL’s financial statements for the year 2022, which has not been finalized, has resulted in a change of its presentation due to the company‘s transition into an investment company. Shares in subsidiaries were capitalized according to the equity method until year end 2021 but are recognised at fair value through profit or loss from the beginning of 2022. This results in a previously unrealized fair value change from 2021 of ISK 2.6 billion that was formerly accounted for directly through equity, will instead be recognised in the income statement for 2022. This change of presentation has no effect of previously announced equity for year-end 2022 of ISK 33.0-33.5 billion. Further, this does not alter the company’s ability to pay dividend. The company‘s estimated earnings net of tax will, however, increase by ISK 2.6 billion and amount to ISK 17.1-17.6 billion instead of ISK 14.5-15.0 billion as was previously announced on 31 January 2023. The company has decided to change th
City of Vacaville Introduces Next Generation to Biotechnology and Advanced Manufacturing4.2.2023 05:18:05 CET | Press release
Vacaville high school students explore local career opportunities to honor National Career Technical Education Month VACAVILLE, Calif., Feb. 03, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- February is National Career Technical Education (CTE) Month, and the City of Vacaville joined the celebration by hosting a field trip for 58 Vacaville high school students February 3. The field trip included several locations around Vacaville and Solano County to explore advanced manufacturing and biotechnology. Every February, the Association for Career and Technical Education encourages communities to celebrate CTE Month, to raise awareness of the role that CTE has in readying learners for college and career success. This is also a time when the City of Vacaville recognizes and celebrates the contributions and achievements of community CTE partners including Solano Community College (SCC) and The Workforce Development Board of Solano County. “This field trip is an excellent opportunity for Vacaville’s young people to
Patients with hidradenitis suppurativa experienced sustained efficacy and symptom improvement at one year when treated with Novartis Cosentyx®4.2.2023 00:30:00 CET | Press release
In two of the largest Phase III trials conducted in hidradenitis suppurativa (HS), Cosentyx® (secukinumab) treatment response rates continued to improve beyond the primary endpoint analysis at Week 16 to more than 55% at Week 52, as evaluated by the HS Clinical Response (HiSCR) measure1 Safety findings were consistent with the well-established safety profile of Cosentyx in its approved indications1 HS is a recurrent skin disease affecting one in 100 people worldwide, causing painful, boil-like abscesses that can lead to open wounds and irreversible scarring in the most intimate parts of the body2,3 There is only one approved therapy for HS and many patients, even those on treatment, still experience uncontrolled symptoms4 Basel, February 4, 2023 – Novartis announced today that The Lancet has published long-term data from the pivotal SUNSHINE and SUNRISE trials evaluating Cosentyx® (secukinumab) in moderate-to-severe hidradenitis suppurativa (HS)1. In two of the largest Phase III trials
Maha Energy meddelar reserv- och resursrapport per 31 december 20223.2.2023 21:45:00 CET | Pressemelding
McDaniel & Associates Consultants Ltd. (“McDaniel”) har genomfört sin första utvärdering av Maha Energy AB:s (publ) (”Maha” eller ”Bolaget”) reserver och resurser. Väsentliga förändringar från föregående års reserv- och resurssiffror är hänförliga till: att den tidigare annonserade utfarmningen och Joint Operating Agreement avtalet med Mafraq Energy LLC avseende Block 70 i Oman slutförs. Maha är operatör på Block 70 och Mahas licensandel minskar till 65 procent till följd härav.att den tidigare offentliggjorda transaktionen avseende den förväntade avyttringen av Mahas brasilianska verksamhet och följaktligen bolagets olje- och gastillgångar, där försäljningsavtalet undertecknades den 27 december 2022, resulterar i att inga reserver redovisas för fälten Tie och Tartaruga. Mahas reserver1 per 31 december 2022 2022 Maha Energy AB bruttoreserver före skatt (miljoner fat)KategoriTillgångar i USAMafraqTotalt1P1,340,421,762P2,740,523,263P3,590,624,21 De huvudsakliga förändringarna i årets res