Coty Announces Consolidation of Fragrance Manufacturing Operations with Intended Closure of Site in Cologne, Germany
Coty Inc. (NYSE: COTY), one of the world’s leading beauty companies today announced the planned closure of its manufacturing site in Cologne, Germany. The move comes as Coty consolidates global fragrance operations.
The Cologne site currently employs approximately 300 people and produces a range of fragrance products. The closure, which will occur in stages, will be preceded by the completion of all appropriate legal processes and is expected to be completed by Summer 2022.
Richard Jones, Chief Global Supply Chain and R&D Officer at Coty, said:
“We have taken this difficult decision to consolidate our fragrance manufacturing capacity in order to increase the efficiency of our operations. Coty is the world’s leader in fragrance, but our network has been operating over-capacity in recent years and the considerable impact of COVID-19 has accelerated the need to take action. This move will address the imbalance to increase our competitiveness and ensure we fully leverage our scale and remaining manufacturing sites. This is a hard but necessary part of the transformation of Coty: building a stronger, leaner and more focused business that’s well-positioned for the long-term.”
Wolfgang Reissner, Coty VP Operations EMEA & General Manager HFC Prestige Manufacturing Cologne Germany GmbH, added: “We appreciate that this will be a very challenging time for our affected employees in Cologne. Our priority now is to work closely with employee representatives on a detailed timeline and process for the employees and the site closure.”
Coty will adapt its other fragrance manufacturing sites as part of its evolving operational approach. In addition to addressing overcapacity, the changes are expected to deliver annual net savings for the company.
Last year, Coty announced a wide-ranging strategy to return the company to profitable growth, reduce net debt, streamline operations and address long-term financial challenges. This approach includes targeting a net reduction in costs of $600 million by the end of FY2023 and delivering more cost-effective and integrated operations. With supply chain optimization across manufacturing, distribution and demand planning expected to contribute over 20% of the targeted $600 million cost savings, today’s announcement presents a necessary step in reaching the company’s goals.
Coty reported strong progress towards the cost reduction targets during its Q1 earnings: delivering approximately $80 million of savings in the first quarter against a target of over $200 million by end of FY2021.
About Coty Inc.
Coty is one of the world’s largest beauty companies with an iconic portfolio of brands across fragrance, color cosmetics, and skin and body care. Coty is the global leader in fragrance and number three in color cosmetics. Coty’s products are sold in over 150 countries around the world. Coty and its brands are committed to a range of social causes as well as seeking to minimize its impact on the environment. For additional information about Coty Inc., please visit www.coty.com.
Forward Looking Statements
Certain statements in this release are “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements reflect the Company’s current views with respect to, among other things, the Company’s future operations and strategy (including the expected implementation and related impact of its strategic priorities), and ongoing and future cost efficiency, optimization and restructuring initiatives and programs (including their expected timing, implementation, cost and related impact). These forward-looking statements are generally identified by words or phrases, such as “anticipate”, “are going to”, “estimate”, “plan”, “project”, “expect”, “believe”, “intend”, “foresee”, “forecast”, “will”, “may”, “should”, “outlook”, “continue”, “temporary”, “target”, “aim”, “potential”, “goal” and similar words or phrases. These statements are based on certain assumptions and estimates that we consider reasonable, but are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond our control, which could cause actual events or results (including our financial condition, results of operations, cash flows and prospects) to differ materially from such statements, including risks and uncertainties relating to:
- the Company’s ability to successfully implement its multi-year Transformation Plan, including the consolidation of its global fragrance manufacturing operations and supply chain optimization plans, as well as its initiatives to further reduce the Company's cost base, and to develop and achieve its global business strategies (including mix management, select price increases, more disciplined promotions, and foregoing low value sales), compete effectively in the beauty industry, achieve the benefits contemplated by its strategic initiatives (including revenue growth, cost control, gross margin growth and debt deleveraging) and successfully implement its strategic priorities (including innovation performance in prestige and mass channels, strengthening its positions in core markets, accelerating its digital and e-commerce capabilities, building on its skincare portfolio, and expanding its presence in China) in each case within the expected time frame or at all;
- the impact of COVID-19 (or future similar events), including demand for the Company’s products, illness, quarantines, government actions, facility closures, store closures or other restrictions in connection with the COVID-19 pandemic, and the extent and duration thereof, related impact on the Company’s ability to meet customer needs and on the ability of third parties on which the Company relies, including its suppliers, customers, contract manufacturers, distributors, contractors, commercial banks and joint-venture partners, to meet their obligations to the Company, in particular, collections from customers, the extent that government funding and reimbursement programs in connection with COVID-19 are available to the Company, and the ability to successfully implement measures to respond to such impacts;
- managerial, transformational, operational, regulatory, legal and financial risks, including diversion of management attention to and management of cash flows, expenses and costs associated with the Company’s response to COVID-19, its multi-year Transformation Plan, the transition services related to the Wella Business, the integration of acquisitions (including the strategic partnerships with Kylie Jenner and Kim Kardashian West), and future strategic initiatives, and, in particular, the Company’s ability to manage and execute many initiatives simultaneously including any resulting complexity, employee attrition or diversion of resources;
- global political and/or economic uncertainties, disruptions or major regulatory or policy changes, and/or the enforcement thereof that affect the Company’s business, financial performance, operations or products, including the impact of Brexit (and related business or market disruption), the current U.S. administration and recent election, changes in the U.S. tax code, and recent changes and future changes in tariffs, retaliatory or trade protection measures, trade policies and other international trade regulations in the U.S., the European Union and Asia and in other regions where the Company operates;
- disruptions in operations, sales and in other areas, including due to disruptions in the Company’s supply chain, restructurings and other business alignment activities, the completion of the Wella Transaction and related carve-out and transition activities, manufacturing or information technology systems, labor disputes, extreme weather and natural disasters, impact from COVID-19 or similar global public health events and the impact of such disruptions on the Company’s ability to generate profits, stabilize or grow revenues or cash flows, comply with their contractual obligations and accurately forecast demand and supply needs and/or future results;
- restrictions imposed on the Company through its license agreements, credit facilities and senior unsecured bonds or other material contracts, its ability to generate cash flow to repay, refinance or recapitalize debt and otherwise comply with its debt instruments, and changes in the manner in which the Company finances its debt and future capital needs;
- the number, type, outcomes (by judgment, order or settlement) and costs of current or future legal, compliance, tax, regulatory or administrative proceedings, investigations and/or litigation, including litigation relating to the tender offer by Cottage Holdco B.V. (the “Cottage Tender Offer”), and product liability cases (including asbestos); and
- other factors described elsewhere in this document and in documents that the Company files with the SEC from time to time.
When used herein, the term “includes” and “including” means, unless the context otherwise indicates, “including without limitation”. More information about potential risks and uncertainties that could affect the Company’s business and financial results is included under the heading “Risk Factors” and “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations” in the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended June 30, 2020 and other periodic reports the Company has filed and may file with the SEC from time to time.
All forward-looking statements made in this release are qualified by these cautionary statements. These forward-looking statements are made only as of the date of this release, and the Company does not undertake any obligation, other than as may be required by applicable law, to update or revise any forward-looking or cautionary statements to reflect changes in assumptions, the occurrence of events, unanticipated or otherwise, or changes in future operating results over time or otherwise.
Olga Levinzon, +1 212 389-7733 / Olga_Levinzon@cotyinc.com
Angela Lauf, +49 172 751 2680 / Angela_Lauf@cotyinc.com
Antonia Werther, +31 20 29 99 077 / Antonia_Werther@cotyinc.com
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
PMI Launches Free, Online Course and Tool Kit to Help Changemakers Jumpstart Project Success in Just 45 Minutes2.3.2021 17:00:00 CET | Press release
Project Management Institute (PMI), the world's leading association for project professionals and changemakers, today announced the launch of KICKOFF, a new, free online course and tool kit to help introduce anyone doing project-based work to the best practices and tools needed to effectively manage projects from ideation to execution. Much of the working world revolves around projects, which have become more complex than ever due to global Megatrends, including COVID-19, climate change, and more. The need for changemakers, regardless of industry or position level, to be well-versed in the principles of project management in order to help drive results, has never been greater. KICKOFF is the ideal solution for those who are new to doing project-based work and would benefit from learning project management skills to help successfully navigate the process from idea to launch and execution. The course is packed with digestible content, downloadable templates, a glossary of key terms, and
Xendit Raises US$64.6 Million Series B Led by Accel to Scale Its Digital Payments Infrastructure Ushering in a New Era of Economic Security and Reliability in Southeast Asia2.3.2021 16:08:00 CET | Press release
Xendit, the fastest growing digital payments infrastructure for Southeast Asia, announces it has raised US$64.6 million in a Series B round led by Accel to deliver more secure and reliable economic success in the region. Altogether, the company has raised $88 million in funding. Amid Southeast Asia’s rapid digital transformation, Xendit is quickly bolstering businesses of all sizes, processing more than 65 million transactions with US$6.5 billion in payment value annually. “Southeast Asia is a massively complex region, with Indonesia having 17,000 different islands alone—not to mention the region’s regulatory and technological challenges. Trying to build the businesses of tomorrow on yesterday's infrastructure is holding Southeast Asia’s businesses back,” said Moses Lo, CEO and Co-Founder. “This latest investment will enable Xendit to scale our digital payments infrastructure quickly and provide millions of small and medium-sized businesses across Southeast Asia with an on-ramp to the
Andersen Global Initiates Expansion Into Bermuda2.3.2021 15:30:00 CET | Press release
Andersen Global establishes a presence in Bermuda through a Collaboration Agreement with Hamilton-based law firm Alexanders, Barristers & Attorneys, adding additional coverage to its global platform. Founded in 2005, Alexanders, Barristers & Attorneys is a law firm with a primary focus on corporate and trust laws. The firm provides services to corporate clients and high net worth individuals, which complements the U.S. member firm’s practice and the global organization’s ability to meet clients’ cross-border needs in Australia, Canada, Africa, the United Kingdom and globally through its member firms and collaborating firms. Additionally, the firm specializes in intellectual property registration and law, investment fund formation and law, insurance company formation and law, and admiralty and maritime law. “Our top priority is delivering best-in-class solutions to our clients locally and abroad, and our ability to do that has been and continues to be a key contributor to our firm’s suc
BORN Expands With Alkeon B2B Market Network Platform Transforming Commercial Models, Starting With the Trade Show Industry2.3.2021 15:12:00 CET | Press release
BORN, announces the expansion of innovative B2B subsidiary Alkeon, the world's first global SaaS market-network combining content, community, and commerce to connect buyers and sellers through a best-in-class platform, powered by machine learning. The 2020 pandemic generated a tremendous and immediate need for companies of all categories to pivot at a moment’s notice, with over 10,000 global trade shows completely upended due to cancellations of physical events. BORN, a purpose driven lifestyle company dedicated to reimagining the discovery, transaction and connection of the B2B and B2C communities, found an opportune moment to quickly scale and enhance their technology solutions. The company formally established Alkeon, an enterprise dedicated to supporting the needs of companies who are adapting to the current and future landscapes and need the right partner to support them through the process. Combining aesthetic and function to create designed technology, Alkeon is a market-network
South Africa and France Lead the Way in Public and Private Sector Gender Diversity, Latest Research by Kearney Reveals2.3.2021 15:00:00 CET | Press release
The latest ‘Gender Equality Report’ from Kearney has revealed progress in the representation of women in both public and private sectors, but the figures still don’t show parity. Ahead of International Women’s Day, the analysis provides insight into the progress of gender diversity in private and public sectors across nine countries – the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, India, France, Spain, Germany, South Africa and Singapore. The annual report revealed that France was number one for representation in the private sector with women comprising nearly 44% (43.8%) of board members on average, however only 2% of these women held top board positions. The UK (36%) and Australia (34%) also scored highly for representation of women on boards. The average for board level representation of women is 29.9% - not even one in three. % Female board level representation by country France 43.8% UK 36.0% Australia 34.0% Germany 32.5% Spain 29.8% US 29.8% South Africa 28.5% Singapore 17.3% Indi
beqom Announces beqom FlexFS, a Compensation Management Solution Dedicated to Financial Services2.3.2021 15:00:00 CET | Press release
beqom, provider of cloud-based compensation management software, today announced the launch of beqom FlexFS, a solution designed specifically for the financial services (FS) industry. “Financial services compensation is unique,” says Vismay Gada, Head of North America and Global Financial Services at beqom. “First there is a broad spectrum of financial services companies—retail banking, investment banking, asset management, hedge funds, insurance, private equity, and so on. That means that rewards and deferred compensation structures have many specialized needs across the industry. And, companies in each segment have to deal with different regulations that impact compensation treatment, which has its own unique challenges. Our FS customers have come to us to help them address complex compensation requirements that are beyond the scope of what their core HR systems can handle.” “We usually see a lot of our FS companies use Excel or Access databases to augment the limitations of core HR
Maana and Aramco Trading Company Launch AI Application to Optimize Maritime Fleet and Shipping Operations2.3.2021 15:00:00 CET | Press release
Aramco Trading Company (ATC) and Maana today announced the launch of Fanar, the first Artificial Intelligence (AI)-driven maritime fleet optimization application on Microsoft Azure purpose-built for the oil and gas industry. Fanar combines the expertise of ATC and the Maana Q knowledge technology. It unifies maritime fleet optimization, planning, management and shipment scheduling on a single platform. The application: systematically integrates all data sources, constraints, and business rules automatically optimizes schedules across the fleet with a single click rapidly processes “what if” scenarios for better insights dynamically incorporates historic performance to generate new predictions Fanar has been tested daily by ATC since June 2020. “Collaboration between Maana and Microsoft helps us, through Fanar, to drive down costs,” said Ibrahim Q. Al Buainain, President and CEO of Aramco Trading Company. “Fanar enables us to optimize all local decisions across our maritime shipping and