Correction: Zealand Pharma Announces Full Year Results for 2022
Company announcement – No. 1 / 2023
Correction: Zealand Pharma Announces Full Year Results for 2022
- Successful organizational transformation and progress across the R&D pipeline
- Two regulatory submissions anticipated in programs targeting rare diseases
- Strong momentum within obesity portfolio with key data expected during 2023
Copenhagen, Denmark March 2, 2023 – Zealand Pharma A/S (Nasdaq: ZEAL) (CVR-no. 20045078) a biotechnology company focused on the discovery and development of innovative peptide-based medicines, today announced financial results for the 12-month period from January 1 to December 31, 2022 and provided a corporate update.
Organizational transformation and progress across the pipeline
Adam Steensberg, President and Chief Executive at Zealand Pharma said: "We are proud of the exceptional progress Zealand made last year. In 2022, we changed strategy to focus on our core peptide R&D expertise, secured partnerships for our marketed products, and achieved key milestones across our clinical pipeline.
“2023 looks to be a very exciting year for Zealand. We have three key strategic objectives focused on maximizing the value potential of our pipeline. Firstly, we are progressing our two rare disease assets towards regulatory submissions later in the year. Secondly, for the obesity portfolio we expect significant progress across all four assets. Specifically, Boehringer Ingelheim is planning to share the results of the Phase 2 obesity trial of BI 456906 in the coming months, while engaging in parallel with Health Authorities to discuss plans for Phase 3. Finally, we are actively engaging in partnership discussions aligned with our change in strategy.”
Financial results for the full year 2022
- Revenue: DKK 104.0 million (DKK 108.5 million in the year 2021).
- Net operating expenses: DKK -941.1 million (DKK -881.9 million in the year 2021).
- Net operating result: DKK -837.2 million (DKK -784.3 million in the year 2021).
- Net financial items: DKK -134.9 [-88.3] million (DKK 25.4 million in the year 2021).
- Net result from Discontinued Operations: DKK -236.5 million (DKK -263.2 million in the year 2021).
- Cash, cash equivalents, and marketable securities: DKK 1,177.8 [1,117.8] million as of December 31, 2022 (December 31, 2021: DKK 1,428 million).
- Under current planning assumptions, Zealand projects its existing capital resources will be sufficient to fund operations until the middle of 2024.
|DKK million||2023 Guidance||2022 Actual|
|Revenue anticipated from existing and new license and partnership agreements||No guidance due to uncertain size and timing||104|
|Net operating expenses1||800-900||941|
1. Net operating expenses consist of R&D, S&M, G&A and other operating items
Financial guidance based on foreign exchange rates as of March 2, 2023
R&D events in 2023
- Dasiglucagon in congenital hyperinsulinism (CHI). In the first half of 2023, Zealand expects to submit a new drug application (NDA) to the FDA for dasiglucagon treatment in the management of CHI based on data from the full Phase 3 program that comprises two completed randomized trials and a long-term extension trial that is ongoing.
- Glepaglutide, a long-acting GLP-2 analog in short bowel syndrome (SBS). Results from the EASE-1 Phase 3 trial in SBS patients with intestinal failure have been accepted for presentation at scientific conferences in the first half of 2023. The EASE-2 and EASE-3 long-term safety and efficacy extension trials are ongoing, with the first interim data expected in the first half of the year as the company decided to include analysis from at least 24 weeks of treatment from EASE-2. In addition, EASE-4, assessing long-term effects of glepaglutide on intestinal fluid and energy uptake is also expected to read out in the first half of the year. Based on data from the full EASE clinical trial program, Zealand anticipates submitting an NDA to the FDA in the second half of 2023 for glepaglutide administered via autoinjector for the treatment of SBS.
- BI 456906, a novel glucagon/GLP-1 receptor dual agonist (co-invented with Boehringer Ingelheim). In December 2022, Boehringer Ingelheim completed a Phase 2, randomized, double blind, dose-finding clinical trial of BI 456906 compared with placebo in people living with overweight/obesity (BMI ≥ 27 kg/m2) without type 2 diabetes (NCT04667377). The primary endpoint of this trial is the percentage change in body weight at week 46 compared with placebo. Boehringer Ingelheim is planning to share the results of the trial with the scientific community in the coming months. Boehringer Ingelheim is engaging in parallel with Health Authorities to discuss plans for Phase 3 trials for people living with overweight/obesity.
- Dapiglutide, a first-in-class GLP-1/GLP-2 receptor dual agonist. A Phase 2 investigator-led clinical trial in people with obesity, named DREAM, to be conducted in collaboration with Zealand is expected to begin in the first half of 2023. The DREAM trial aims to gain key mechanistic insights into the effects of dapiglutide in patients, with data expected in 2024. Separately, in the second half of 2023, Zealand expects to initiate a 13-week dose titration trial in people with obesity.
- ZP8396, a long-acting amylin analog. Zealand is evaluating ZP8396 in Phase 1 clinical trials. The company anticipates presenting full results from the single ascending dose (SAD) study (NCT05096598) at a scientific congress in the first half of 2023. In the second half of the year, Zealand expects to report topline results from the ongoing 6-week multiple ascending dose (MAD) trial (NCT05613387) and initiate a 16-week dose titration trial.
- ZP6590, a long-acting GIP analog. Zealand anticipates advancing ZP6590 into a Phase 1 SAD trial in healthy volunteers in the second half of 2023.
Type 1 Diabetes
- ZEGALOGUE® (dasiglucagon) for injection. Under the global license and development agreement with Novo Nordisk for Zegalogue®, Zealand is responsible submitting a marketing authorization application (MAA) to the European Medicines Agency (EMA), planned for the first half of 2023.
- Dasiglucagon for Bihormonal Artificial Pancreas (BHAP) systems. Zealand anticipates that Beta Bionics, developer of the investigational Bihormonal iLet® Bionic Pancreas (iLet Duo™), a pocket-sized, dual chamber (insulin and glucagon), autonomous, glycemic control system, will begin the Phase 3 program using dasiglucagon in 2023.
Chronic Inflammatory Disease
- ZP10068, a complement inhibitor. Zealand and Alexion are collaborating on the discovery and development of novel peptide therapies for complement-mediated diseases. In 2023, Zealand expects to complete activities to support advancing ZP10068 into clinical studies. All subsequent regulatory, clinical, and development efforts will be led and conducted by Alexion.
Conference call today at 2 PM CET / 8 AM ET
Zealand’s management will host a conference call today at 2:00 PM CET / 8:00 AM ET to present results for the full year of 2022 and a corporate update followed by a Q&A session. Participating in the call will be Chief Executive Officer Adam Steensberg, Chief Medical Officer David Kendall, and Chief Financial Officer Henriette Wennicke. The conference call will be conducted in English.
Telephone dial-in information and a unique personal access PIN will be provided upon registration at https://register.vevent.com/register/BIc83adcda8b8640ceb3000bb438e603f5. A live listen-only audio webcast of the call, including an accompanying slide presentation, will be accessible at https://edge.media-server.com/mmc/p/zgyjh28r. Participants are advised to register for the call or webcast approximately 10 minutes before the start. A recording of the event will be available following the call on the Investor section of Zealand’s website at https://www.zealandpharma.com/events-cal.
Total number of shares and voting rights in Zealand Pharma A/S as of December 30, 2022
Number of shares (nominal value of DKK 1 each): 51,702,098 which is an increase of 8,067,956 from 43,634,142 as reported on December 30, 2021.
Therefore, the current share capital is (nominal value in DKK): 51,702,098.
Number of voting rights: 51,702,098.
About Zealand Pharma A/S
Zealand Pharma A/S (Nasdaq: ZEAL) ("Zealand") is a biotechnology company focused on the discovery and development of peptide-based medicines. More than 10 drug candidates invented by Zealand have advanced into clinical development, of which two have reached the market and three candidates are in late-stage development. The company has development partnerships with several pharma companies as well as commercial partnerships for its marketed products.
Zealand was founded in 1998 and is headquartered in Copenhagen, Denmark, with a presence in the U.S. that includes Boston. For more information about Zealand’s business and activities, please visit www.zealandpharma.com.
Safe Harbor / Forward-Looking Statements
This press release and interim report contains “forward-looking statements”, as that term is defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 in the United States, as amended, even though no longer listed in the United States this is used as a definition to provide Zealand Pharma’s expectations or forecasts of future events regarding the research, development and commercialization of pharmaceutical products, the timing of the company’s preclinical and clinical trials and the reporting of data therefrom and the company’s Upcoming Events and Financial Guidance for 2022. These forward-looking statements may be identified by words such as “aim,” “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “forecast,” “goal,” “intend,” “may,” “plan,” “possible,” “potential,” “will,” “would” and other words and terms of similar meaning. You should not place undue reliance on these statements, or the scientific data presented. The reader is cautioned not to rely on these forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements are subject to risks, uncertainties and inaccurate assumptions, which may cause actual results to differ materially from expectations set forth herein and may cause any or all of such forward-looking statements to be incorrect, and which include, but are not limited to, unexpected costs or delays in clinical trials and other development activities due to adverse safety events or otherwise; unexpected concerns that may arise from additional data, analysis or results obtained during clinical trials; our ability to successfully market both new and existing products; changes in reimbursement rules and governmental laws and related interpretation thereof; government-mandated or market-driven price decreases for our products; introduction of competing products; production problems; unexpected growth in costs and expenses; our ability to effect the strategic reorganization of our businesses in the manner planned; failure to protect and enforce our data, intellectual property and other proprietary rights and uncertainties relating to intellectual property claims and challenges; regulatory authorities may require additional information or further studies, or may reject, fail to approve or may delay approval of our drug candidates or expansion of product labeling; failure to obtain regulatory approvals in other jurisdictions; exposure to product liability and other claims; interest rate and currency exchange rate fluctuations; unexpected contract breaches or terminations; inflationary pressures on the global economy; and political uncertainty, including due to the ongoing military conflict in Ukraine. If any or all of such forward-looking statements prove to be incorrect, our actual results could differ materially and adversely from those anticipated or implied by such statements. The foregoing sets forth many, but not all, of the factors that could cause actual results to differ from our expectations in any forward-looking statement. All such forward-looking statements speak only as of the date of this press release/company announcement and are based on information available to Zealand Pharma as of the date of this release/announcement. We do not undertake to update any of these forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances that occur after the date hereof. Information concerning pharmaceuticals (including compounds under development) contained within this material is not intended as advertising or medical advice.
Zegalogue® is a registered trademark of Novo Nordisk A/S.
Anna Krassowska, PhD
Vice President, Investor Relations & Corporate Communications
AttachmentsTo view this piece of content from www.globenewswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
To view this piece of content from ml-eu.globenewswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
About GlobeNewswire by notified
One Liberty Plaza - 165 Broadway
NY 10006 New York
GlobeNewswire by notified is one of the world's largest newswire distribution networks, specializing in the delivery of corporate press releases financial disclosures and multimedia content to the media, investment community, individual investors and the general public.
Subscribe to releases from GlobeNewswire by notified
Subscribe to all the latest releases from GlobeNewswire by notified by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from GlobeNewswire by notified
Junshi Biosciences Announces Establishment of Joint Venture with Rxilient Biotech to Jointly Develop and Commercialize Toripalimab in Southeast Asia29.3.2023 05:39:38 CEST | Press release
-- The two parties will collaborate to develop and commercialize toripalimab in 9 Southeast Asian countries through a joint venture company, Excellmab -- Excellmab will be responsible for the development, medical affairs, production of finished products, and commercialization of toripalimab within the cooperation territory. The profits available for distribution by Excellmab will be distributed in proportion to the respective shareholdings of the parties -- Using the Excellmab platform, the two parties also plan to collaborate extensively to introduce more high-quality innovative drugs into Southeast Asian markets to achieve joint and long-term development -- According to the progress of toripalimab’s R&D and other projects, Junshi Biosciences may receive a milestone payment of up to approximately US$4.52 million, plus a certain percentage of royalties on net sales SHANGHAI, China and SINGAPORE, March 28, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Shanghai Junshi Biosciences Co., Ltd (“Junshi Bioscience
Aduro Clean Technologies Increases Size of Private Placement to $4 Million29.3.2023 02:12:40 CEST | Press release
NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION TO UNITED STATES NEWSWIRE SERVICES OR FOR DISSEMINATION IN THE UNITED STATES SARNIA, Ontario, March 28, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Aduro Clean Technologies Inc. (“Aduro” or the “Company”) (CSE: ACT) (OTCQB: ACTHF) (FSE: 9D50), a Canadian developer of patented water-based technologies to chemically recycle plastics, and to transform heavy crude and renewable oils into feedstocks and higher-value fuels, is pleased to announce that, further to its news release dated March 8, 2023, it has increased the size of its non-brokered private placement of units (the “Units”) at $0.93 per Unit for gross proceeds of a minimum of $1,999,965 and up to a maximum of $4,000,000 (the “LIFE Offering”). Each Unit will consist of one (1) common share in the capital of the Company (each, a “Common Share”) and one-half (1/2) of one Common Share purchase warrant (each whole warrant, a “Warrant”). Each Warrant will be exercisable into one (1) Common Share (each, a “Warrant Share”) at a price o
ClearPoint Neuro Announces Exclusive Multi-Year Licensing Agreement with UCSF for Innovative Intra-Cerebral Cellular Delivery Platform28.3.2023 22:05:00 CEST | Press release
SOLANA BEACH, Calif., March 28, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- ClearPoint Neuro, Inc. (NASDAQ: CLPT) (the “Company”), a global therapy-enabling platform company providing navigation and delivery to the brain, today announced an exclusive multi-year licensing agreement of intellectual property from UC San Francisco (UCSF) through its Innovation Ventures group to develop and commercialize a radially branching cellular delivery device for use both in the Operating Room under fluoroscopy/CT guidance and under MRI guidance. “This invention will help clinicians guide the delivery of biologic therapies — from stem cell transplants to gene therapy vectors — to specific locations in the human brain with real-time image guidance,” said Dr. Daniel Lim, MD, PhD, Professor of Neurological Surgery at UCSF. “By helping surgeons tailor biologic delivery to individual patient anatomy and specific diseases, I hope that this invention can contribute importantly to the successful treatment of neurological disor
Development of the Annual General Meeting of the BANK of Greenland28.3.2023 22:03:19 CEST | Press release
Minutes of General Meeting To Nasdaq OMX Copenhagen 28 March 2022 Company announcement no. 05/2023 Development of the Annual General Meeting of the BANK of Greenland Today, the BANK of Greenland held its Annual General Meeting in accordance with the Articles of Association and the previously published notice convening the meeting. The Annual General Meeting was attended by shareholders representing 1,049,468 votes, of which 612,498 votes were given by proxy to the Board of Directors, 62,821 votes were covered by instructions to holders of power of attorney and 115,455 votes of correspondance. The Board of Directors' Report on the Bank's activities during the past year The Chairman of the Board of Directors Gunnar í Liða presented the Board of Directors' report on the Bank's activities during the past year. The report of the Board of Directors was noted. The Chairman's report can be viewed on the Bank's website at www.banken.gl. The minutes of the Annual General Meeting will also be pub
Forløb af ordinær generalforsamling i GrønlandsBANKEN28.3.2023 22:03:19 CEST | pressemeddelelse
Referat af Generalforsamling Til Nasdaq OMX Copenhagen 28. marts 2023 Selskabsmeddelelse nr. 05/2023 Forløb af ordinær generalforsamling i GrønlandsBANKEN GrønlandsBANKEN har i dag afholdt ordinær generalforsamling i henhold til vedtægterne og tidligere offentliggjort indkaldelse. Generalforsamlingen var repræsenteret med 1.049.468 stemmer, heraf var 612.498 stemmer givet som fuldmagt til bestyrelsen, 62.821 stemmer var givet som instruktionsfuldmagt, mens 115.455 var afgivet som brevstemme. Bestyrelsens beretning om bankens virksomhed i det forløbne år Bestyrelsesformand Gunnar í Liða aflagde bestyrelsens beretning om bankens virksomhed i det forløbne år. Bestyrelsens beretning blev taget til efterretning. Formandens beretning kan ses på bankens hjemmeside www.banken.gl Generalforsamlingens protokollat vil senest 14 dage efter generalforsamlingens afholdelse ligeledes blive lagt på bankens hjemmeside. Godkendelse af årsrapporten for 2022, meddelelse om decharge for bestyrelse og direk