Corporate Legal Departments Use Digital Tools, Strategy to Speed Up and Streamline Business
ACC Names 10 Companies 2019 Value Champions
Washington, DC, June 10, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) --
Corporate law departments are more frequently turning to both bespoke and ready-made digital tools, sophisticated partnerships with law firms and legal service providers, and quantifiable, long-term strategies to improve efficiency, according to the Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC), a global legal association representing more than 45,000 members in 85 countries.
ACC recognized 10 law departments, along with five external partners, as 2019 ACC Value Champions . The champions range from banking to mining companies, and are based in Australia, Germany, Portugal, South Africa, and the United States. Their strategic approaches streamlined processes, increased client satisfaction, enhanced the value of legal service spending, and reduced turnaround times.
“To be considered best-in-class, a law department must be willing to tear down their operational model and start again from scratch,” said Catherine J. Moynihan, associate vice president of legal management services at ACC. “These Champions did just that. In response to strategic demands, they employed a variety of process improvement techniques and creative partnership models to automate and streamline legal services. Their agility is breathtaking.”
A panel of past ACC Value Champions selected the following 2019 ACC Value Champions:
- AbbVie (Chicago) — Shortly after AbbVie’s formation in 2013, its legal operations team decided to address run-away data costs associated with e-discovery. They brought all data collection, processing and hosting in-house, saving US$4 million per year. Significant intangible value followed, as AbbVie’s internal eDiscovery group became internal consultants, assisting with early case assessments and adapting processes to get better results.
- Anglo American (Johannesburg) and Exigent (London) — After the 2015 collapse of commodity prices in the mining sector, the Anglo American Group legal team in Johannesburg lost 60 percent of its in-house staff. They moved low-value, high-volume work to Exigent, freeing the in-house team to handle complex legal issues. Contract turnaround time dropped 86 percent. Exigent also developed a custom legal spend tool that supported Anglo in converging to a panel of law firms and better managing pricing. This resulted in a 35 percent decrease in outside counsel spend over three years.
- Deutsche Bank (Frankfurt) and QuisLex (New York) — Deutsche Bank partnered with QuisLex to create a Center of Excellence for e-discovery, standardizing processes and implementing sophisticated, AI-enabled tools to find relevant documents, automate redactions and translate foreign-language documents. The Bank saved millions of Euro, with the cost of 18-month reviews down 49 percent and 90 percent of managed reviews completed on time and on budget.
- Hatch (Brisbane) and Lexvoco/LOD (Brisbane/Melbourne) — Hatch’s Australia-Asia legal team used design thinking in collaboration with Lexvoco to build a global, legal information platform, mapped against Hatch's project life cycle. The platform empowers clients to self-serve for routine legal issues. This has led to a drop in the response time for document requests, from an average of a week to a few hours. The legal team also implemented key change management techniques as part of design thinking, including enhanced visual communications and training practices.
- MassMutual (Springfield, Mass.) — Leveraging its data scientists and Lean expertise, MassMutual put some new twists into an old concept - employing a national coordinating counsel. From selecting the pilot portfolio of litigation, to conducting the RFP, structuring the alternative fees and onboarding the law firm, MassMutual applied a data and process improvement driven approach. In its first year, this new model reduced legal spend by 12 percent and matter duration by 40 percent.
- McAfee (Santa Clara, Calif.) — To overcome backlogs, inconsistent service and miscommunication stemming from using email to provide legal services, McAfee created a digital platform that deploys decision trees to deliver advice to clients and route unique, impactful issues to in-house counsel. Costs dropped 60 percent and the number of completed reviews per year rose 300 percent.
- Rabo AgriFinance (RAF) (Chesterfield, Mo.) and Thompson Coburn (St. Louis) —Bucking the in-sourcing trend, RAF partnered with Thompson Coburn to handle its large agricultural loans. Together they redesigned the process using an innovative data model to predict how long review and revision of such loans should take. Three of the firm’s commercial finance attorneys were stationed onsite at RAF, and fine-tuning adjustments were made to other staffing and support, with a value scorecard created to evaluate results — all under a monthly fixed-fee arrangement. Turnaround time has dropped 70 percent, from an average of five days to a day and a half.
- Sonae (Maia, Portugal) — Reengineering the proceedings processes for 1,250 stores across Portugal required ingenuity for the five-person Sonae Employment and Labor Law team, which supports 40,000 employees. They partnered with IT to develop a software solution that streamlines communications with 970 interlocutors, registers and tracks all labor and social security proceedings, complies with GDPR, and integrates with enterprise resource planning and a knowledge management platform. Further embracing technology to conduct training, those costs fell 90 percent. With the duration of proceedings cut by a crucial 30%, the legal team now handles more cases, and received favorable decisions in 92 percent of proceedings in 2018.
- Telstra (Melbourne) — In need of greater flexibility and reduced resources, as part of a plan to simplify operations, Telstra’s legal team re-imagined its operating model, moving away from a traditional business-aligned model to organizing lawyers into enterprise wide legal practice areas. To operate more efficiently, they applied Agile practices and also designed an online tool, Engage Legal, to guide users to the practice area team best positioned to handle their requests. Operating costs fell 15 percent and demand management has dramatically improved.
- Toyota Motor North America (TMNA) (Plano, Texas) and The Counsel Management Group (CMG) (New York) — After converging to a preferred partnering program and harnessing and curating spend data, the TMNA legal team partnered with CMG to come up with a sophisticated, sustainable way to price legal matters. By establishing unit costs for key items of works – from depositions to significant motions – TMNA is now able to adjust matter budgets based on scope changes as matters evolve. Budgets are now more reliable, and savings average 17 percent per year.
About the ACC Value Challenge: The ACC Value Challenge, launched in 2008, has provided resources and training for in-house counsel and law firm lawyers to help affect change within the legal industry. By re-aligning relationships and promoting value-based fee arrangements and other management tactics, such as project management, process improvement, efficient use of technology and knowledge management tools, the market for the delivery of legal services benefits from the same insights and wisdom upon which every other service industry relies to provide world-class value to their clients. For more information, visit www.acc.com/valuechallenge .
About ACC: The Association of Corporate Counsel ( ACC ) is a global legal association that promotes the common professional and business interests of in-house counsel who work for corporations, associations and other organizations through information , education , networking , and advocacy . With more than 45,000 members in 85 countries employed by over 10,000 organizations, ACC connects its members to the people and resources necessary for both personal and professional growth. By in-house counsel, for in-house counsel.® For more information, visit www.acc.com and follow ACC on Twitter: @ACCinhouse .
One Liberty Plaza - 165 Broadway
NY 10006 New York
GlobeNewswire is one of the world's largest newswire distribution networks, specializing in the delivery of corporate press releases financial disclosures and multimedia content to the media, investment community, individual investors and the general public.
Subscribe to releases from GlobeNewswire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from GlobeNewswire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from GlobeNewswire
Orange Belgium and Proximus signed today the agreement to establish their mobile access network sharing collaboration22.11.2019 18:18:00 CET | Press release
Joint press release 22 November 2019 Orange Belgium and Proximus signed today the agreement to establish their mobile access network sharing collaboration Michaël Trabbia, CEO of Orange Belgium, and Sandrine Dufour, CEO ad Interim of Proximus, signed today the final agreements to establish the previously announced mobile access network sharing collaboration. Brussels – The shared mobile access network will be designed, built and operated by a new joint venture, owned 50/50 by Orange Belgium and Proximus, which will be based in Brussels. Each party confirms its respective expected benefits and investment as per complementary information for investors and analysts issued on July 11th. Michaël Trabbia, CEO of Orange Belgium: “I look forward to implement our agreement for the benefit of Belgian customers as well as society. This collaboration will enable Orange Belgium to continue to challenge the telecom market, while facilitating a faster and more extensive 5G deployment in Belgium and m
Artefact : Grand Prix du Search 2019: Artefact and SEB doubly rewarded!22.11.2019 17:56:00 CET | Press release
Press Release Paris, 22 November 2019 Grand Prix du Search 2019: Artefact and SEB doubly rewarded! Artefact’s “Full Search” strategy ensured optimal search engine placement for Groupe SEB products on Amazon thanks to Data At the Grand Prix du Search 2019 ceremony, Groupe SEB and Artefact won a gold medal in the Retail Search category and a silver medal in the Search & Data category for the efficiency of their eRetail strategy on Amazon. These medals recognize the alliance of Data with the Amazon advertising search solutions which ensure optimal placement of Tefal products on the results pages of the e-commerce giant. Groupe SEB, the world reference in small domestic equipment, is, with its TEFAL brand, an historic leader increasingly challenged on Amazon: +30% new players (vs 2018) in this category. The Amazon online sales platform has become so essential for retailers, it’s a new medium: 50% of online consumers begin their purchase on Amazon1. Product referencing has become a key elem
Roche presents pivotal data demonstrating Tecentriq in combination with Avastin improves overall survival in people with the most common form of liver cancer22.11.2019 17:05:00 CET | Press release
First Phase III cancer immunotherapy study to show an improvement in overall survival and progression-free survival in people with unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma compared with sorafenib Results will be presented in the Presidential session at the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) Asia Congress 2019 Basel, 22 November 2019 - Roche (SIX: RO, ROG; OTCQX: RHHBY) will today present positive results from the Phase III IMbrave150 study evaluating Tecentriq® (atezolizumab) in combination with Avastin® (bevacizumab). The data show statistically significant and clinically meaningful improvements in overall survival (OS) and progression-free survival (PFS), compared with sorafenib, in people with unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) who have not received prior systemic therapy. Tecentriq in combination with Avastin reduced the risk of death (OS) by 42% (hazard ratio [HR]=0.58; 95% CI: 0.42–0.79; p=0.0006) and reduced the risk of disease worsening or death (PFS) by 41% (HR
Conditions for Riksbank Bid Procedures Sek Bonds22.11.2019 16:20:00 CET | Press release
Sveriges Riksbank Bid procedure details Government Bonds, 2019-11-28 Maturity date Loan ISIN code Coupon Volume, SEK million 2025-05-12 1058 SE0005676608 2.50 % 500 +/- 250 2029-11-12 1061 SE0011281922 0.75 % 500 +/- 250 Settlement date 2019-12-02 Bids have to be entered by 10.00 on NOV 28, 2019 Highest permitted bid volume: 500 SEK million in issue SGB 1058 and 500 SEK million in issue SGB 1061 Lowest permitted bid volume: 50 SEK million Bids only through counterparties approved by the Riksbank RESULT OF AUCTION WILL BE PUBLISHED NO LATER THAN 10.10 (CET) ON NOV 28, 2019. For more information, please contact: Trading desk at the Riksbank + 46 8 696 6970 General and special terms and conditions can be retrieved at http://www.riksbank.se
Vostok New Ventures Ltd’s Nomination Committee22.11.2019 16:00:00 CET | Press release
Vostok New Ventures Ltd (“Vostok New Ventures”) is pleased to announce the composition of the Nomination Committee for the 2020 Annual General Meeting Stockholm, Nov. 22, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The Nomination Committee for the 2020 AGM has been appointed in accordance with the principles resolved by the 2019 AGM. The members of the Nomination Committee are: Jake Hennemuth, appointed by Acacia Partners; Boris Zhilin, appointed by Armor Advisors LLC; Evert Carlsson, appointed by Swedbank Robur Fonder; and Lars O Grönstedt, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Vostok New Ventures. As per the resolution of the 2019 AGM, the task of the Nomination Committee is to make recommendations to the 2020 AGM regarding the following matters: (i) election of the Chairman for the AGM, (ii) election of Directors, (iii) election of the Chairman of the Board of Directors, (iv) remuneration to the Directors, (v) election of the Company’s auditors, (vi) compensation to the Company’s auditors, and (vii) p
Vostok New Ventures Ltd:s valberedning22.11.2019 16:00:00 CET | Pressemelding
Vostok New Ventures Ltd (”Vostok New Ventures”) får härmed meddela sammansättningen av valberedningen inför årsstämman 2020 Stockholm, Nov. 22, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Sammansättningen av valberedningen inför årsstämman 2020 har utsetts i enlighet med beslut av årsstämman 2019. Valberedningen består av följande medlemmar: Jake Hennemuth, utsedd av Acacia Partners; Boris Zhilin, utsedd av Armor Advisors LLC; Evert Carlsson, utsedd av Swedbank Robur Fonder; och Lars O Grönstedt, Styrelseordförande Vostok New Ventures. Enligt beslut av årsstämman 2019 ska valberedningens bereda och lägga fram förslag inför årsstämman 2020 avseende: (i) val av ordförande vid årsstämman, (ii) val av styrelseledamöter, (iii) val av styrelseordförande, (iv) styrelsearvode till ledamöter, (v) val av bolagets revisorer (vi) ersättning till bolagets revisorer, och (vii) Principer för utseende av valberedning inför årsstämman 2021 Aktieägare som önskar lämna förslag till årsstämman avseende ovan angivna frågor k