Benevity Reveals the Top Five Trends Shaping the Future of Corporate Purpose in 2022
Benevity’s annual State of Corporate Purpose report unpacks the major societal shifts from the last year and how they have changed the future of work, corporate philanthropy and ESG
CALGARY, Alberta, June 02, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Benevity, Inc., a leading provider of global corporate purpose software, today released its second edition of The State of Corporate Purpose, a report from Benevity Impact Labs that takes a comprehensive look at proprietary data and research on the key industry trends shaping the future of corporate social responsibility (CSR); environmental, social and governance (ESG) and the future of work. Launched at Goodness Matters, the company’s flagship conference and the corporate purpose event of the year, the report details how companies are addressing key issues such as social and racial justice; diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging (DEIB); ESG and the changing landscape of corporate philanthropy. The report further highlights the impact purpose has had on employee and customer sentiment toward corporations.
Notably, corporations and their people demonstrated a desire to positively change society in a more sustained way, and in 2021, high levels of donations and volunteer hours were maintained as employees and companies continued to give and volunteer. In total, $2.3 billion in donations and almost 8.9 million volunteer hours (a 28% increase from 2020) were tracked through the platform.
Benevity’s report is the largest study of its kind, drawing insights and trends from 850 of Benevity’s client companies, their 20 million employees and hundreds of millions of their customers, who supported over 218,000 nonprofits in 2021.
The report highlights the top five trends shaping the future of corporate purpose in 2022: the need for businesses to step up in difficult times, the search for purpose as the root of the Great Resignation, new empowered approaches to DEIB, the evolution of corporate philanthropy into stakeholder philanthropy and the rapid rise in importance of purpose and ESG for investors, shareholders and boards.
“The Great Resignation is partly the result of employees expecting more from the companies they work for — they are seeking more flexibility, autonomy and higher quality jobs. But underneath that, we believe more people are looking for purpose, meaning and impact in every part of their lives, especially at work,” said Sona Khosla, Benevity’s Chief Impact Officer and head of Benevity Impact Labs. “Stakeholders want and expect companies to care about and act on social, environmental and cultural issues as much as they do. Forward-thinking businesses have taken notice and are leading the change, becoming central figures in creating community, catalyzing positive action and meeting the moment in times that matter.”
- Companies shifted how they make a meaningful impact, moving from defining moments to grassroots investments: In 2021, companies changed how they made social investments — shifting from corporate granting during urgent moments to address timely needs related to social and racial inequities (e.g., Black Lives Matter protests) to giving grants to local community organizations working at the grassroots level to address systemic issues at the root of inequality and injustice. This is supported by Benevity data on the Top Grant Cause Categories:
- Category: Community Improvement and Capacity Building — In 2020, this category was ranked 9th. In 2021, it moved up to 6th place.
- Category: Civil Rights, Social Action and Advocacy — In 2020, this category was ranked 11th. In 2021, it moved to 16th place.
- In 2021, companies gave $2.95 billion through 109,500 grants.
- The prioritization of purpose is at the center of the Great Resignation: The acceleration of the Great Resignation in 2021 brought employee retention and engagement concerns to the forefront and shone a spotlight on the need for companies to prioritize what’s most important to their people — and today’s employees prefer brands that allow them to make a positive impact.
- More companies offered “volunteer acts of kindness” as a way for people to give time and support without being tied to a specific nonprofit, and in 2021, this concept really took off: 40% of volunteer hours tracked in 2021 were volunteer acts of kindness.
- Companies redefined how they engage their people in social action: With the pivot to remote and hybrid work in 2020, companies quickly adapted their purpose programs to include virtual volunteering and other opportunities for learning and positive action.
- In 2019, virtual volunteering made up 23% of volunteer hours, and grew to 78% of hours in 2020. In 2021, virtual volunteering made up 73% of volunteer hours — showing that virtual volunteering is here to stay.
- Positive actions, alongside learning opportunities, are also being used by companies to empower their people to do good. In 2021, there was a 66% growth in companies promoting learning and positive action and a 98% growth in the number of opportunities for positive action.
- Causes focused on diversity and social justice received a greater share of donations: 2021 showed us that companies and their people continue to support racial and justice causes at higher levels than ever.
- From January 2019 to April 2020, social and racial justice causes averaged 3.3% of total giving. After a spike during the height of the Black Lives Matter movement, average total giving to these causes grew to 5.2% from September 2020 to December 2021, resulting in a 58% increase in giving to these types of causes.
- While several of those causes who earned a swell of support in 2020 remained in the top 10 in 2021, they were joined in 2021 by Asian-affirming and LGBTQ+ causes as well.
- Chinese for Affirmative Action (ranked 335th in 2020 and 4th in 2021) and Asian Americans Advancing Justice (ranked 196th vs. 5th in 2021) saw significant growth in support in 2021, as did The Trevor Project, a leading LGBTQ+ organization (ranked 29th in 2020 vs. 9th in 2021).
- ESG is how investors understand purpose: Environmental, social and governance policies and strategies have taken on increasing importance for shareholders and boards and have now proven to be major value and values drivers on their own — this will remain so only if companies stay steadfastly committed to the power of doing well by doing good.
Corporate purpose is no longer optional — it’s business critical, enabling businesses to drive meaningful change on key issues such as social and racial justice and DEIB, influencing employee attraction and retention, creating customer preference and loyalty and driving tangible business outcomes for investors, customers and employees alike.
To remain relevant in this new purpose-driven world, companies are investing more in their corporate purpose programs. Benevity provides the vision, platform and community to power the next generation of purpose-driven business.
The State of Corporate Purpose 2022 is available here.
Benevity, a certified B Corporation, is a leader in global corporate purpose software, providing the only integrated suite of community investment and employee, customer and nonprofit engagement solutions. Recognized as one of Fortune’s Impact 20, Benevity offers cloud solutions that power purpose for many iconic brands in ways that better attract, retain and engage today’s diverse workforce, embed social action into their customer experiences and positively impact their communities. With software that is available in 22 languages, Benevity has processed more than $8 billion in donations and 43 million hours of volunteering time to support 326,000 nonprofits worldwide. The company’s solutions have also facilitated 530,000 positive actions and awarded 1.2 million grants worth $12 billion. For more information, visit benevity.com.
About Benevity Impact Labs
Benevity Impact Labs is an incubator and resource hub bringing new data, research and insights to help companies, nonprofits and individuals maximize their impact and authentically live their purpose. With unparalleled access to the world’s most iconic brands, Benevity Impact Labs combines Benevity’s robust data and insights with third-party research to report on the top trends shaping corporate purpose and measure the full range of impact from their strategies and investments.
Senior Manager, Public Relations
To view this piece of content from ml.globenewswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
About GlobeNewswire by notified
One Liberty Plaza - 165 Broadway
NY 10006 New York
GlobeNewswire by notified is one of the world's largest newswire distribution networks, specializing in the delivery of corporate press releases financial disclosures and multimedia content to the media, investment community, individual investors and the general public.
Subscribe to releases from GlobeNewswire by notified
Subscribe to all the latest releases from GlobeNewswire by notified by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from GlobeNewswire by notified
Report – ERYTECH’s Combined Shareholders’ Meeting On June 24, 202224.6.2022 22:05:00 CEST | Press release
REPORT –ERYTECH’S COMBINED SHAREHOLDERS’ MEETING ON JUNE 24, 2022 Cambridge, MA (U.S.) and Lyon (France), June24, 2022 – ERYTECH Pharma (Nasdaq& Euronext: ERYP), a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company developing innovative therapies by encapsulating therapeutic drug substances inside red blood cells, today announcedthat its Annual General Meeting was held on Friday, June 24, 2022. At the meeting, all resolutions for which the Board of Directors recommended a vote in favor were adopted, including: Approval of the annual financial statements and consolidated financial statements for the year ended December 31, 2021;Allocation of the financial year's results;Approval of the statutory auditors’ special report on regulated agreements and commitments with related parties;Approval of the elements of total compensation and benefits paid or allocated for the year ended December 31, 2021, to Gil BEYEN, Chief Executive Officer and Jean-Paul KRESS, Chairman of the Board;Approval of the compens
Cleantech Building Materials: Results of Annual General Meeting24.6.2022 14:54:27 CEST | Press release
24 June 2022 CLEANTECH BUILDING MATERIALS PLC, NASDAQ FIRST NORTH GROWTH MARKET, COPENHAGEN TICKER: CBM ISIN: GBOOBD1LVD21 CLEANTECH BUILDING MATERIALS PLC Results of Annual General Meeting The Annual General Meeting (“AGM”) of Cleantech Building Materials plc (“CBM” or the “Company”) was held in London earlier today, 24 June 2022. Details of the resolutions to be considered at the AGM were published in the Notice of AGM which was posted to Shareholders on 1 June 2022 and is available on the Company’s website: www.cbm-plc.com. All resolutions as set out in the Notice of AGM were duly passed without discussion. In particular, the following resolutions were passed at the AGM. The AGM resolved to authorise the directors of the Company to allot shares and grant rights to subscribe for, or convert any security, into shares. The directors of the Company sought authority for the purposes of section 551 of the Companies Act to exercise all the powers of the Company to allot shares and grant ri
Novartis receives positive CHMP opinion for Scemblix®, a novel treatment for adult patients with chronic myeloid leukemia24.6.2022 13:13:19 CEST | Press release
With unique STAMP mechanism of action, Scemblix could provide a new option for patients in Europe with chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) who have suffered intolerance or inadequate response with at least two prior tyrosine kinase inhibitor treatments1 Positive opinion based on data from pivotal Phase III ASCEMBL trial, showing a near doubling in major molecular response rate for patients treated with Scemblix® (asciminib) vs. Bosulif®* (bosutinib) (25.5% vs. 13.2%) and more than three times lower discontinuation rate due to adverse reactions (5.8% vs 21.1%) at 24 weeks1 CHMP recommendation comes after the approval of Scemblix by the US FDA and other countries’ regulatory authorities, potentially broadening access for more patients to Novartis transformative therapies in CML Basel, June 24, 2022 — Novartis today announced that the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) of the European Medicines Agency (EMA) has adopted a positive opinion and recommended granting marketing au
Clariant’s shareholders approve all agenda items24.6.2022 11:30:00 CEST | Press release
AD HOC ANNOUNCEMENT PURSUANT TO ART. 53 LR Integrated Report and Group Consolidated Financial Statements for fiscal year 2021 approvedGünter von Au reelected as Chairman of the Board of DirectorsThree new candidates join the Board of Directors: Ahmed Mohamed Alumar, Roberto César Gualdoni, Naveena ShastriConfirmed distribution of CHF 0.40 per shareKPMG confirmed as statutory auditor from 2022 MUTTENZ, JUNE 24, 2022 Clariant, a focused, sustainable, and innovative specialty chemical company, today held its 27th Annual General Meeting (AGM) where the shareholders approved all agenda items and resolutions as proposed by the Board of Directors. The AGM was held virtually, where shareholders were able to exercise their rights exclusively via the independent proxy. Overall, 698'945'298 shares or around 70.19 % of the share capital of Clariant were represented. Günter von Au was reelected as Chairman of the Board of Directors. Additionally, three new members were voted to join by a large majo
Cool Company Ltd. – Mandatory Notification Of Trade24.6.2022 11:01:19 CEST | Press release
EPS Ventures Ltd., close associate of Cyril Ducau, Chair of the Board of Cool Company Ltd. (the “Company”), has on 23 June 2022 acquired 7,865 shares in the Company at a price of NOK 90.274882 per share. Following the transaction, EPS Ventures Ltd. holds a total of 15,591,218 shares in the Company, equivalent to 38.97% of the Company’s shares. Please see the attached notification form in accordance with the Market Abuse Regulation article 19. This information is subject to the disclosure requirements pursuant to Section 5-12 the Norwegian Securities Trading Act Attachment Primary insider notification form