Interim Report - January-September 2023
STOCKHOLM – 17 November 2023. Karolinska Development AB (Nasdaq Stockholm: KDEV) today publishes its Interim Report - January-September 2023. The full report is available on the Company's website.
“It’s clear that our portfolio companies have unique competence in their respective therapeutic areas. Karolinska Development will, economic turbulence notwithstanding, continue to support the development of new treatments that can extend people’s lifespans and enhance their quality of life. Patients’ and society’s need for medical progress does not depend on the economic climate”, says Viktor Drvota, CEO, Karolinska Development.
Significant events during the third quarter
- The portfolio company Umecrine Cognition presented results from a study on a preclinical model of Parkinson’s disease at the 6th World Parkinson Congress in Barcelona, Spain, July 4-7. The results shows how the company’s clinical drug candidate golexanolone has an effect on fatigue, anxiety, depression, and some cognitive and motor changes in the disease model (July 2023).
- The portfolio company OssDsign received clearance from FDA for the use of OssDsign Catalyst in interbody cages in spinal surgery (September 2023).
- The portfolio company OssDsign successfully completed a directed share issue to a value of approximately SEK 150 million. The net proceeds will be used to finance a strategic shift to fully focus its operations on the orthobiologic business in the U.S., in light of the extraordinary commercial performance of its high-margin nanosynthetic bone graft OssDsign Catalyst (September 2023).
- The portfolio company PharmNovo reported promising results in a preclinical study of the company’s drug candidate PN6047. The results reaffirm existing safety profile data of PN6047 (September 2023).
Significant post-period events
- The portfolio company PharmNovo successfully completed its clinical phase 1 study with PN6047, a drug candidate developed as a potential treatment for neuropathic pain. The results from the study show that PN6047 is safe and well-tolerated at doses predicted to have clinically relevant effects. Furthermore, PN6047 seems to offer a significantly better safety profile compared to conventional opioids (October 2023).
- The portfolio company Modus Therapeutics decided to carry out a rights issue that can raise up to approximately SEK 40.3 million before issue costs. The capital injection will primarily be used to finance the company's continued operations and an expansion of the clinical development program for the drug candidate sevuparin to the area of anemia (November 2023).
- The net profit/loss for the third quarter was SEK 12.0 million (SEK -46.6 million in the third quarter of 2022). Earnings per share totaled SEK 0.04 (SEK -0.17 in the third quarter of 2022). Net profit/loss for the period January – September 2023 amounted to SEK 7.3 (-98.1) million.
- The result of the Change in fair value of shares in portfolio companies for the third quarter amounted to SEK 11.7 million (SEK -50.3 million in the third quarter of 2022). The result is largely due to the upturn in share price in the listed holdings OssDsign and Promimic. The result of the Change in fair value of shares in portfolio companies for the period January – September 2023 amounted to SEK 8.6 (-91.4) million.
- The total fair value of the portfolio was SEK 1,392.2 million at the end of September 2023, corresponding to an increase of SEK 28.1 million from SEK 1,364.1 million at the end of the previous quarter. The net portfolio fair value at the end of September 2023 was SEK 1,052.2 million, corresponding to an increase of SEK 26.0 million from SEK 1,026.2 million at the end of the previous quarter. The increase is mainly the effect of the upturn in share price of listed holdings and investments during the quarter.
- Net asset value amounted to SEK 1,253.2 million, per share SEK 4.6, at the end of September 2023 (SEK 1,237.7 million, per share SEK 4.6 at the end of September 2022).
- Net sales totaled SEK 0.4 million during the third quarter of 2023 (SEK 0.5 million during the third quarter of 2022). Net sales for the period January – September 2023 totalled SEK 1.5 (1.7) million.
- Karolinska Development invested a total of SEK 15.8 million in portfolio companies during the third quarter of 2023 (SEK 61.8 million in the third quarter of 2022). Third quarter 2023 investments in portfolio companies by Karolinska Development and other specialized life sciences investors totaled SEK 126.3 million (SEK 180.6 million in the third quarter of 2022).
- Cash and cash equivalents (including short-term investments) decreased by SEK 17.7 million during the third quarter, totaling SEK 130.0 million on 30 September 2023 (SEK 207.0 million on 30 September 2022).
The Interim Report for Karolinska Development AB for the period January-September 2023 is available as a PDF atwww.karolinskadevelopment.com.
For further information, please contact:
Viktor Drvota, CEO, Karolinska Development AB
Phone: +46 73 982 52 02, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hans Christopher “HC” Toll, CFO, Karolinska Development AB
Phone: +46 70 717 00 41, e-mail: email@example.com
TO THE EDITORS
About Karolinska Development AB
Karolinska Development AB (Nasdaq Stockholm: KDEV) is a Nordic life sciences investment company. The company focuses on identifying breakthrough medical innovations in the Nordic region that are developed by entrepreneurs and leadership teams. The Company invests in the creation and growth of companies that advance these assets into commercial products that are designed to make a difference to patients' lives while providing an attractive return on investment to shareholders.
Karolinska Development has access to world-class medical innovations at the Karolinska Institutet and other leading universities and research institutes in the Nordic region. The Company aims to build companies around scientists who are leaders in their fields, supported by experienced management teams and advisers, and co-funded by specialist international investors, to provide the greatest chance of success.
Karolinska Development has established a portfolio of eleven companies targeting opportunities in innovative treatment for life-threatening or serious debilitating diseases.
The Company is led by an entrepreneurial team of investment professionals with a proven track record as company builders and with access to a strong global network.
For more information, please visit www.karolinskadevelopment.com
AttachmentsTo view this piece of content from www.globenewswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
To view this piece of content from ml-eu.globenewswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
About GlobeNewswire by notified
One Liberty Plaza - 165 Broadway
NY 10006 New York
GlobeNewswire by notified is one of the world's largest newswire distribution networks, specializing in the delivery of corporate press releases financial disclosures and multimedia content to the media, investment community, individual investors and the general public.
Subscribe to releases from GlobeNewswire by notified
Subscribe to all the latest releases from GlobeNewswire by notified by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from GlobeNewswire by notified
Vicinity Showcased Industrial 5G Solution in 5G-ACIA Industrial 5G day6.12.2023 15:08:22 CET | Press release
TAIPEI, Taiwan, Dec. 06, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Vicinity Technologies Limited (Vicinity) showcases the advanced industrial 5G solution in the 5G Alliance for Connected Industries and Automation (5G-ACIA) Industrial 5G Day 2023, being held in Taipei, Taiwan on 7th December 2023. Vicinity is demonstrating a low latency industrial 5G wireless networking solution to enable industrial safety applications in factories with 5G connected Automatic Guided Vehicles (AGV). Vicinity developed 5G integrated small cell (ISC) network wirelessly connects an emergency stop controller with the AGVs. The demonstration emulates an emergency scenario where the stop button is activated. The AGVs are stopped with the latency within 3ms. The response time is 200 times faster compared with the conventional 5G mobile networks. To achieve such a fast response time, the ISC supports the User Plane Function (UPF) offloading. This allows the user application running on the ISC to minimise the latency. The ISC is
International Directional Services and Veracio Announce Strategic Partnership to Advance Drilling and Downhole Technologies in North America6.12.2023 15:00:00 CET | Press release
WATSONVILLE, Calif. and SALT LAKE CITY, Dec. 06, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- International Directional Services (IDS), a Granite Company (NYSE:GVA) and Veracio, a leading mining technology company, today announce a partnership to offer Veracio’s complete suite of driller-operated tooling to IDS’ clients. Veracio is making significant steps toward leveraging advanced geological technologies to enhance the mining lifecycle. While IDS and Veracio have an existing relationship, the announcement of this partnership acknowledges the vision both companies share for transforming how the drilling workflow can be enhanced with better data. By combining IDS’s expertise in directional drilling and Veracio’s geological data collection, the partnership will empower IDS and Granite clients to reduce unnecessary drilling costs, mitigate operational errors, minimize waste, and foster sustainable mining practices. “Our collaboration further strengthens Veracio’s position in the US market and reinforces our
Zoom delivers AI-powered customer experiences at an unmatched value for companies of every size6.12.2023 15:00:00 CET | Press release
New innovative product offerings include robust omnichannel and advanced AI solutions SAN JOSE, Calif., Dec. 06, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Today Zoom Video Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: ZM) announced enhancements across its AI-powered customer experience (CX) suite and new pricing plans that are expected to be available in the coming weeks. “Zoom Contact Center has seen incredible momentum since its launch last year, reaching more than 700 customers and expanding to businesses of all sizes, from mid-market companies to global enterprises,” said Vi Chau, head of product, Zoom Phone and Contact Center at Zoom. “We have strategically invested in areas like advanced AI, workforce management, and omnichannel expansion to help build meaningful customer experiences. These new plans provide exceptional value at all levels, including enterprise-grade features at the base tier that other companies charge extra for.” To support its growing customer base and its various business needs, Zoom Contact
HqO Continues to Disrupt the Commercial Real Estate Industry with the Launch of the “2024 Best Spaces to Work in Boston” Program6.12.2023 15:00:00 CET | Press release
The company will recognize the spaces with the best end-user experiences across metro areas BOSTON, Dec. 06, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- HqO, the world’s leading real estate experience platform, today announced the launch of “2024 Best Spaces to Work in Boston,” the only recognition and certification program that scores and validates end-user real estate experiences in spaces across the city. Published quarterly, the list will be based on real estate experience data from tenants and their employees gathered through HqO’s proprietary Intelligence suite of products leveraging the world’s most powerful and trusted employee experience assessment framework. This news comes on the heels of HqO’s recent $50 million Series D funding announcement and launch of their Real Estate Experience (REX) Platform, as they continue to partner with industry leaders to solve unprecedented tenant and employee retention and attraction challenges. “For the first time in the history of the commercial real estate i
Company Announcement 5/20236.12.2023 14:51:46 CET | Press release
NOTICE TO CONVENE an extraordinary general meeting of Nordic Shipholding A/S in liquidation Nordic Shipholding A/S in liquidation (CVR no. 76 35 17 16) (the “Company”) hereby convenes an extraordinary general meeting to be held on Thursday 28 December 2023, at 09.00 (CET) Gorrissen Federspiel, Axel Towers, Axeltorv 2, DK-1609 Copenhagen V Agenda: 1. Presentation of the liquidator’s report 2. Presentation of the final and audited liquidation accounts for adoption 3. Resolution on liquidation of the Company with final effect 4. Any other business Complete proposals Item 1 – Presentation of the liquidator’s report Item 2 – Presentation of the final and audited liquidation accounts for adoption The liquidator proposes to the general meeting to adopt the final and audited liquidation accounts. There will be no distribution of liquidation proceeds to the shareholders of the Company in connection with the liquidation. The final and audited liquidation accounts is available for review on the C