ANNUAL REPORT 2022/23 (EARNINGS RELEASE)
For the full 2022/23 financial year, Ambu reported 7.6% organic revenue growth. This was driven by Endoscope Solutions posting 15% organic growth, the main drivers being urology and ENT growing high double-digits, as well as pulmonology contributing positively, with a strengthened offering. As a result of Ambu’s focused execution, the company delivered an EBIT margin of 6.3%, mainly driven by revenue growth and reduced operational costs in distribution and staff, as well as a positive free cash flow of DKK 192m, corresponding to an increase of DKK 650m, compared to last year.
The organic growth in Endoscopy Solutions was offset by Ambu’s Anaesthesia and Patient Monitoring businesses, which, combined, declined by 1% organically, affected by high comparables in the 2021/22 financial year, as well as stockpiling last year.
“2022/23 was a year of strong progress for Ambu on many fronts. We strengthened our customer focus and organisation; we laid down the right path for accelerated growth and profitability; we turned around our cash position to positive cash flow; and we reduced our debt to a level well in line with policy. I am pleased with the progress on execution of our transformative ZOOM IN strategy, which we launched a year ago, centred on increased focus and improved execution. In addition, our strategy highlights customer-centricity, our culture and ways of working, as well as sustainability – all areas in which we have taken significant steps forward during the past year. I am proud of my colleagues for their engagement and change mindset, which is instrumental in our effort to pave the way for future strong, profitable growth, in pursuit of our purpose to rethink solutions that save lives and improve patient care.”
BRITT MEELBY JENSEN
Chief Executive Officer, Ambu
Q4 2022/23 FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS
Last year’s comparative figures are presented in brackets
- Revenue for Q4 was DKK 1,259m (DKK 1,163m), corresponding to a reported growth of 8% (13%). Adjusted for currency effects, the underlying organic growth was 14% (4%).
- Endoscopy Solutions grew organically by 25% (3%), with Pulmonology growing organically 16% (-15%) and Endoscopy Solutions excluding pulmonology growing 37% (44%)
- Anaesthesia and Patient Monitoring posted organic growth of 7% (0%) and -3% (10%), respectively.
- Gross profit was DKK 715m (DKK 644m) in Q4, corresponding to a gross margin of 56.8% (55.4%).
- EBIT before special items was DKK 97m (DKK -7m), representing an EBIT margin before special items of 7.7% (-0.6%).
- Free cash flow before acquisitions of enterprises and technology totalled DKK 188m (DKK -167m) in Q4, up DKK 355m from last year.
2022/23 FULL-YEAR HIGHLIGHTS
Last year’s comparative figures are presented in brackets
- Revenue for the financial year was DKK 4,775m (DKK 4,444m), representing a 7% (11%) reported growth. Organic growth was 7.6% (4%), driven by positive volume and mix effects.
- Endoscopy Solutions revenue increased organically by 15% (1%).
- Endoscopy Solutions excluding pulmonology increased by 38%, mainly driven by urology and ENT. Pulmonology posted 2% organic growth for the full year, driven by high comparables in the first half of the financial year, however, positively offset by accelerated growth in the second half of the year. The accelerated growth was due to the market normalising following Covid-19, as well as upgrades to Ambu’s pulmonology offering.
- Anaesthesia organic revenue declined by 2% (5%), and Patient Monitoring grew organically by 1% (13%). Both businesses were affected by high comparables in the 2021/22 financial year, combined with stockpiling last year.
- Revenue in North America increased organically by 12% (11%), Europe increased by 3% (1%), and Rest of World increased by 5% (-8%).
- Gross margin was 56.8% (57.5%). The positive sales mix effect, driven by higher-margin products in Endoscopy Solutions, was significantly offset by inflationary effects on Ambu’s input prices and overhead cost from scaling up the factory in Mexico.
- EBIT before special items was DKK 302m (DKK 122m), with an EBIT margin before special items of 6.3% (2.7%). The improvement was mainly driven by revenue growth and reduced operational costs in distribution and staff.
- Free cash flow before acquisitions of enterprises and technology totalled DKK 192m (DKK -458m), up DKK 650m from last year, corresponding to 4% of revenue (-10%).
Q4 highlights are presented in italic
- Portfolio advancements:
- Compliance with the EU Medical Device Regulation (MDR) of Ambu’s full product portfolio
- Endoscopy Systems: Global launch of the next-generation Ambu® aView™ 2 Advance
- Pulmonology: Global launch of the complete Ambu® aScope™ 5 Broncho portfolio, re-launch of Ambu® Viva-Sight™ 2 DLT and launch of Ambu® VivaSight™ 2 SLT in Europe
- Gastroenterology: Regulatory clearances of Ambu® aScope™ Gastro Large in Europe and Ambu® aScope™ Colon in North America
- Urology: Regulatory clearance of Ambu® aScope™ 5 Cysto HD in Europe
- Organisational advancements:
- Launch of Ambu’s transformation program, focused on driving efficiencies, scalability and profitability
- Executive Leadership Team strengthened with new Chief People & Culture Officer, Chief Operations Officer and Chief Technology Officer – and announcement of new Chief Financial Officer, Henrik Skak Bender, as of 1 January 2024.
- Global roll-out of Ambu’s new ZOOM IN strategy and purpose, as well as launch of new Ambu values
- Sustainability advancements:
- Launch of the world’s first endoscope made with bioplastics - Ambu® aScopeTM Gastro Large
- 2030 target set for emission reductions and submitted to the Science-Based Targets initiative (SBTi)
In addition to the Annual Report, which includes Ambu’s Sustainability Report, Ambu also publishes its Remuneration Report and a Corporate Governance Report for 2022/23 today. All reports can be accessed on Ambu.com.
OUTLOOK FOR FY 2023/24
In 2022/23, Ambu took significant steps in executing on its transformation program to deliver profitable growth – the key objective of Ambu’s ZOOM IN strategy. The company focused on stabilising its financial situation, thus ending the 2022/23 financial year with delivering financial targets slightly above expectations. Similarly, Ambu’s free cash flow was significantly improved, ending the year with a positive cash flow.
During 2022/23, Ambu witnessed increased geopolitical uncertainty and a volatile macroenvironment, affecting the global economy and resulting in inflationary effects on raw materials, energy prices and logistics costs. This is a tendency that the company expects to continue throughout 2023/24. Despite this, Ambu expects the single-use endoscopy market to continue to grow in 2023/24, driven by hospital systems’ and clinics’ growing needs for workflow efficiencies and improved economics, as well as the increased awareness of infection control and the strong clinical performance that single-use solutions bring to healthcare professionals and patients.
Organic revenue growth
Ambu’s Endoscopy Solutions business remains the key growth engine for the company, and it makes up 56% of the company’s total revenue in 2022/23. In 2023/24, this business area is expected to grow 15% organically, with the ENT and urology segments expected to continue their double-digit organic growth trajectory. Similarly, due to Ambu’s strengthened pulmonology portfolio, as well as the company’s expanded gastroenterology (GI) portfolio, both the pulmonology and GI businesses are expected to contribute positively towards a solid organic revenue growth in 2023/24. Also, with the objective of increasing long-term profitability in the Anaesthesia & Patient Monitoring business areas, Ambu will continue to drive the strategic initiatives launched in 2022/23, related to addressing selected low-margin areas with sizable price increases and exiting 40 countries to reduce geographical complexity.
Overall, Ambu’s total organic growth is expected to be 7-10% for the 2023/24 financial year, compared to 7.6% in 2022/23.
EBIT margin before special items
For 2023/24 the EBIT margin before special items is expected to be 8-10%, compared to 6.3% in 2022/23. This will be driven by an improved gross margin from a strengthened product mix, as well as from a continued overarching cost focus. Ambu’s free cash flow before acquisitions is expected to improve to around DKK +270m, compared to DKK 192m in 2022/23. The continued increased cash flow will be driven by a higher EBIT margin before special items and continued annual savings from the cost reduction program, reflecting a disciplined capital allocation.
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Ambu’s Annual General Meeting 2023 will be held on Wednesday 13 December 2023 at 13.00 (CET) at the headquarters of Ambu A/S, Baltorpbakken 13, DK-2750 Ballerup.
An investor conference call will be held today, Wednesday 8 November 2023, at 11:00 (CET).
The conference will be broadcast live via Ambu.com/webcastQ42023.
To ask questions during the Q&A session, please register prior to the call via Ambu.com//conferencecallQ42023register.
Upon registration, you will receive dedicated dial-in details via e-mail to access the call, including a passcode, a unique PIN, dial-in numbers and a calendar invitation.
The presentation will be made available for download at Ambu.com/presentations.
Tel. +45 7225 2000
CVR no.: 63 64 49 19
Head of Investor Relations
+45 2892 8881
Tine Bjørn Schmidt
Head of Corporate Communications
+45 2264 0697
Since 1937, Ambu has been rethinking solutions, together with healthcare professionals, to save lives and improve patient care. Today, millions of patients and healthcare professionals worldwide depend on the efficiency, safety and performance of our single-use endoscopy, anaesthesia and patient monitoring solutions. Headquartered near Copenhagen in Denmark, Ambu employs around 4,400 people in Europe, North America, Latin America and Asia Pacific. For more information, please visit Ambu.com.
- Annual Report 2022-23, earnings release - Company announcement no 4 2023-24
- Ambu Corporate Governance Report 2022-23
- Ambu Remuneration Report 2022-23
To view this piece of content from ml-eu.globenewswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
About GlobeNewswire by notified
One Liberty Plaza - 165 Broadway
NY 10006 New York
GlobeNewswire by notified is one of the world's largest newswire distribution networks, specializing in the delivery of corporate press releases financial disclosures and multimedia content to the media, investment community, individual investors and the general public.
Subscribe to releases from GlobeNewswire by notified
Subscribe to all the latest releases from GlobeNewswire by notified by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from GlobeNewswire by notified
Iveco Group N.V. publishes its 2024 Corporate Calendar29.11.2023 18:30:00 CET | Press release
Turin, 29th November 2023. Iveco Group N.V. (EXM: IVG) announces the following corporate calendar dates for 2024: DateEarnings releases9th FebruaryResults for 4th quarter and preliminary annual results 202310th MayResults for 1st quarter 202425th JulyResults for 2nd quarter and 1st half 20247th NovemberResults for 3rd quarter 2024 The Annual General Meeting for the approval of Iveco Group N.V.’s Financial Statements at 31st December 2023 is scheduled to take place in mid April 2024 (*). The 2024 corporate calendar is available on the corporate website: www.ivecogroup.com. (*) In compliance with the requirements set forth by the lnstructions of the Regulation of Borsa Italiana S.p.A., please note that, should the Annual General Meeting resolve a dividend related to the 2023 financial year, the month planned for the dividend detachment (ex-date) would be April. This information is provided for the aforesaid regulatory provisions only and it cannot be interpreted in any way as a forecast
PUBLICATION OF A TRANSPARENCY NOTIFICATION29.11.2023 18:30:00 CET | Press release
Publication on November 29, 2023 at 18:30 CET after market closing Regulated information EVS Broadcast Equipment S.A.: Euronext Brussels (EVS.BR), Bloomberg (EVS BB), Reuters (EVSB.BR) PUBLICATION OF A TRANSPARENCY NOTIFICATION (Article 14, first paragraph, of the Law of 2 May 2007 on disclosure of major holdings) On November 27, 2023, EVS Broadcast Equipment has received a transparency notification indicating that Otus Capital Management Limited now holds 4.99% of the voting rights of the company. Otus Capital Management Limited has therefore crossed down the threshold of 5%. The notification, dated November 27, 2023, contains the following information: Reason for the notification: acquisition or disposal of voting securities or voting rightsNotification by: A parent undertaking or a controlling personPersons subject to the notification requirement: Otus Capital Management Limited, 29 Queen Anne’s Gate, London SW1H 9BU, UK; Andrew GibbsTransaction date: November 24, 2023Threshold that
IDEX - Disclosure of large shareholding - 29 Nov 202329.11.2023 18:30:00 CET | Press release
Reference is made to the announcement by IDEX Biometrics ASA on 15 November 2023 regarding a private placement of shares, and the announcement by Sundt AS on 16 November 2023 regarding lending of shares. As a result of the re-delivery of shares, Sundt AS discloses the following information pursuant to Section 4-2 of the Norwegian Securities Trading Act and the Securities Trading Act Regulations: On 29 November 2023, following re-delivery of 45,000,000 shares in IDEX, Sundt AS’s holdings of shares increased from 61,512,922 shares to 106,512,922 which represents 7.6% of the share capital based on 1,396,621,040 shares in issue following the private placement. This notice was published by Erling Svela, Vice president of finance, on 29 November 2023 at 18:30 CET on behalf of IDEX Biometrics ASA.
SMISS launched its electronic vapor gadgets technology platform TempSure™, the world's 1st cannabis vape hardware featuring intelligent duplex communication29.11.2023 18:00:00 CET | Press release
SHENZHEN, China, Nov. 29, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- As one of the largest exhibitions in the global cannabis industry, the MJBizCon 2023 CBD/THC/Cannabis Expo opened in Las Vegas as scheduled. On November 29th local time, SMISS officially launched the World's 1st Cannabis Vape Hardware Featuring Intelligent Duplex Communication, TempSure™ at the event. The platform utilizes advanced technology to provide users with the best intelligent vaporization experience. The name TempSure™ implies precise vaporization temperature control, offering users the perfect CBD vaporization experience. TempSure™ has developed an intelligent MCU control chip and a proprietary PID dynamic compensation technology solution. By accurately monitoring the heating state of CeramicMesh™ coil vaporization (oil conductivity, oil temperature, and smoke signal), it dynamically adjusts the optimal power energy output to achieve accurate heating temperature control for scientific vaporization. This enables users to exper
Intervest Offices & Warehouses NV: Press release – Persbericht – Communiqué de presse: publication of a transparency notification29.11.2023 18:00:00 CET | Press release
Dear Madam, Sir, Please find hereunder the links to Intervest Offices & Warehouses’ latest press release regarding the publication of a transparency notification. Geachte mevrouw, meneer, Gelieve hierbij de links te vinden naar het recente persbericht van Intervest Offices & Warehouses betreffende de openbaarmaking over transparantiekennisgeving. Chère Madame, Cher Monsieur, Veuillez trouver ci-dessous les liens vers le récent communiqué de presse d’Intervest Offices & Warehouses concernant la communication relative à une notification de transparence. Attachments ENG_transparency notification_20231128_FINNL_transparency notification_20231128_FINFR_transparency notification_20231128_FIN